Fatdog64-520RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

#21 Post by kirk »

I tested xorgwizard from the menu of 511 and it created the vesa xorg.conf files (see example files here) but hung at xwin time. Rebooting and using CLI, I restored the xorg.conf from its bak copy and was able to get back to X.

I encounter a similar problem in 520RC2 - I could not use xorgwizard from X (when X is working). All I see is a blank screen.

Therefore, the question: is there another way to test/tweak xorg before X, or is simply adding "pfix=vesa" the recommended solution for X problems?
Raffy,

What kind of graphics card do you have? In the thread you linked to, the xorg.conf was using the vesa driver also.

When you try the Xorg Video Wizard from the Setup menu, you said you got a blank screen. Was that before you where asked to choose a resolution or after?

Some info that may help:

nomodeset --- This is a kernel boot option that tells the kernel not to enable kernel mode setting (KMS). Video support is usually a combination of a drm kernel driver and a Xorg driver working together. KMS is used with Intel, Nouveau, and Radeon kernel modules. KMS is required for Intel and Nouveau, and optional for Radeon (although, with different features).
If you want to use the vesa Xorg driver, and you have hardware that uses the Intel, Nouveau, or Radeon kernel modules, you may need to boot with nomodeset, or blacklist the matching module, or just delete the module. The modules will be found in /lib/modules/3.0.3/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/.

pfix=vesa --- This boot option tells the boot scripts to delete any existing xorg.conf and create a new bare-bones xorg.conf that specifies the vesa driver. The vesa driver should support just about everything, but you'll have no 2d or 3d acceleration and no special features (dual head, hdmi ...). You should only have to do this once, Xorg will use the vesa driver on subsequent boots. You may still need to specify nomodeset if you have hardware that uses the Intel, Nouveau, or Radeon kernel modules. If you use the Xorg Video Wizard from the Setup menu (xorgwizard-old if you exit X) it will create a detailed xorg.conf, and will probably not choose the vesa driver. So if you use the Xorg Video Wizard and you need to you the vesa driver, you'll need to edit the xorg.conf file. This can be done within the Xorg Video Wizard. After choosing your resolution, you will need to click "Test". After that you can click "Tweek" and then edit the xorg.conf. You'll want to change the line that has the driver from this:

Code: Select all

Driver      "intel" #card0driver
to

Driver      "vesa" #card0driver
Intel in the above is just an example, it might say radeon or nouveau.

Edit: I've modified the Xorg Video Wizard, if you boot pfix=vesa, it will use the vesa driver for the xorg.conf it creates.

gcmartin,

That's a Hardinfo problem. This is a developmental version, but it seems better than the old one.

raffy

vesa as boot parameter

#22 Post by raffy »

kirk wrote:Edit: I've modified the Xorg Video Wizard, if you boot pfix=vesa, it will use the vesa driver for the xorg.conf it creates.
Thanks for that. :)

What I've tried in the Fusion E-350 (with Radeon 6310 graphics), was to test xorgwizard from the menu, but can't, so a boot-time parameter will be a big help.

As to when hanging occurs while tweaking the screen resolution, it is after choosing the resolution in 511 and after choosing the wizard (from the menu) in 520RC2 (the screen immediately goes blank).

Am happily running the 511, although it baffles me no end that a pristine xorg.conf will get me direct graphics rendering, but this is the AMD Fusion, with (impressive) integrated graphics in the CPU. AMD calls it APU ("accelerated" is the word).

These are the other specs of the Fusion family:

9w TDP: C-30 (1 core, 1Ghz), C-50 (2 cores, 1.2 Ghz) - Radeon 6250
18w TDP: E-240 (1 core, 1.5Ghz), E-350 (2 cores, 1.6 Ghz) - Radeon 6310

(These are fantastic 64-bit processors, so expect them to be all over the portables such as laptops, tablets and net-tops. Mini-ITX combo boards with these processors are now in stores.)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

rcrsn51

#23 Post by rcrsn51 »

I am trying to run SFS-load-on-the-fly, but it says that it requires squashfs version 3. I'm sure that this worked in previous Fatdogs.

I looked at the code and it may be related to the change in kernel version from 2.x to 3.x.

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

Don't know if this helps on Hardinfo, but notice compilation line from FATDOG64-RC2

# hardinfo -v
HardInfo version 0.5.2pre
Copyright (C) 2003-2009 Leandro A. F. Pereira. See COPYING for details.

Compile-time options:
  Release version:   Yes (ARCH_x86)
  BinReloc enabled:  Yes
  Data prefix:       /usr/share/hardinfo
  Library prefix:    /usr/lib/hardinfo
  Compiled on:       linux-ARCH_x86 2.6.39.4 ()
Modules:
File Name           Name           Version     
libcomputer.so      Computer       0.5.2pre    
libdevices.so       Devices        0.5.2pre    
libnetwork.so       Network        0.5.2pre    
libbenchmark.so     Benchmarks     0.5.2pre    
# 
Hope this helps

kirk

#25 Post by kirk »

I am trying to run SFS-load-on-the-fly, but it says that it requires squashfs version 3.
Fixed. Thanks.

Ray MK

#26 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Just a note to say fd64520rc2 is all good now.

My problem running on ntfs solved as suggested.

Many thanks and very best regards - Ray

Sage

#27 Post by Sage »

Reviewing the video shortcomings reported above, it seems that a text panel pop-up would help to assist neophytes. As far as black-screening is concerned, is it possible to intercept these in SW, even if only to display said panel with options and instructions about which drivers to load/unload, boot codes, etc? This approach has been used successfully for eg network connecting.

There may be a short intermission whilst kirk dodges Irene?!

gcmartin

#28 Post by gcmartin »

Sage wrote: ... There may be a short intermission whilst kirk dodges Irene?!
Looks like Irene has set her sites on Northern parts of US and Canada. Florida, except for some rain, is spared...I think.

Question;
I offered this for review, before, but does Shinobar's Personalize Settings allow a simple tool that might help a couple of the issues we still have in FATDOG.

It would be nice to have the OS figure out everything automagically. But in light of the several problems i am aware of, seems that tool JUST MIGHT provide a helping hand for the immediate future.

Just a thought that might help. Not looking for a debate nor need a response.

tony

#29 Post by tony »

Hi,

How compatible is Fatdog 64 with 64bit programs on Slackware 13-37 with it's 2.6.37.6 kernal?

If they are compatible, how would you install them?

Regards Tony.

Barkingmad

#30 Post by Barkingmad »

I've just decided to try Fatdog and wanted to say whats good and what I've found not quite so good, most comments are comparing with Puppy 4.3.1.

A quick system outline.

Pentium D930
Intel M/B with integrated audio and network
ATi X1600 graphics
2GB RAM

I've done a "manual frugal" install to an ntfs partition for now.

Boot up - it "just works" everything is ready to use without setting loads of options for KB, testing video etc.

Network - it finds my wired Ethernet and gets an IP straight off.

Video card - magic I have open GL and DRI on my ATi without any fiddling. I spent ages finding a combination of 4 series kernel and some beta drivers that managed that.

Items:

Browser and e-mail
The Firefox icons both on the desktop and the menu open Aurora the same as the "default browser" menu entry does.

Same as above with Thunderbird, the icons open Miramar.

As a test, "firefox" in a terminal also starts Aurora

Window Manager changing
The option in the menu to change window manager seems "clunky" compared to the rest.

At one point I lost the "taskbar" altogether trying to change to JWM. I resorted to Ctrl+Alt+Backsp then "xwin" + options and got it back without a reboot and haven't managed to reproduce the quirk since.

Apart from these points this seems a great distro and I like it a lot, thanks.

Will

EDIT
Have just realized I think I am using Fatdog 520 RC from this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70771. I hadn't noticed Kirk has a new RCout so we'd better ignore these notes till I've had chance to try the latest release.

Will

kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

The Firefox icons both on the desktop and the menu open Aurora the same as the "default browser" menu entry does.

Those are the code names Mozilla uses for these releases.

jamesbond

#32 Post by jamesbond »

kirk wrote:

Those are the code names Mozilla uses for these releases.
In addition, from wikipedia:
To allow distributions of the code without using the official branding, the Firefox source code contains a "branding switch". This switch allows the code to be compiled without the official logo and name, for example to produce a derivative work unencumbered by restrictions on the Firefox trademark (this is also often used for alphas of future Firefox versions). In the unbranded compilation the trademarked logo and name are replaced with a freely distributable generic globe logo and the name of the release series from which the modified version was derived. The name "Deer Park" is used for derivatives of Firefox 1.5, "Bon Echo" for derivatives of Firefox 2.0, "Gran Paradiso" for derivatives of Firefox 3.0 and "Shiretoko" is used for derivatives of Firefox 3.5. Derivatives of Firefox 3.6 are referred to as "Namoroka". The codename Minefield and a modified version of the generic logo stylized to look like a bomb is used for unofficial builds of version 3.0 and later, and for nightly builds of the trunk.

Distributing modified versions of Firefox under the "Firefox" name requires explicit approval from Mozilla for the changes made to the underlying code, and requires the use of all of the official branding. For example, it is not permissible to use the name "Firefox" without also using the official logo. When the Debian project decided to stop using the official Firefox logo in 2006 (because of copyright restrictions on its use incompatible with the project's guidelines), they were told by a representative of the Mozilla Foundation that this was not acceptable, and were asked either to comply with the published trademark guidelines or cease using the "Firefox" name in their distribution.[155] Ultimately, Debian switched to branding their modified version of Firefox "Iceweasel", along with other Mozilla software.
Tony,
Kernel version shouldn't affect compatibility. Compatibility is more affected by shared libraries dependencies. I've never tried mixing with Slackware packages - but I've tried with some Debian packages (the "lenny" branches) and they worked fine. Why don't you give it a try and let us know?

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

tony

#33 Post by tony »

Well I took your advice. I loaded flightgear 64 on slacko and moved it
across onto fatdog 64.

Tested it out with ldd -v and got it down to :-

libdbus-1.so.3 => not found
libhal.so.1 => not found
libsvn_client-1.so.0 => not found
libsvn_ra-1.so.0 => not found
libsvn_subr-1.so.0 => not found
libstdc++.so.6 (GLIBCXX_3.4.14) => not found

After that I crashed the system playing with versions of libstdc++.so.6.

Will do a bit more googling and try again.

Regards Tony

jamesbond

#34 Post by jamesbond »

Haha, you choose a difficult one. I've never gotten flightgear64 to work so far.

I can only add one thing: libdbus is available as a pet in the PPM.
Others you must get elsewhere. Fatdog's libstdc++ is one version older that requested - if you get a newer libtsdc++, don't replace the original version, instead put it somewhere else and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

cheer!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Icyos

Desktop Recorder help

#35 Post by Icyos »

Hi All

I have the RC2 build installed to a usb stick and would like to use GTK-Recordmydesktop or Xvidcap to make some videos about the o/s, however cant find either of them anywhere, the .pets on these forums dont work any help would really be appreciated.

Ray MK

#36 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Icyos

I'm only a noob - but I think you need some 32bit compatibility stuff.

I'll try and find a link and hopefully some info.

BTW - FD64 is really good - solid and fast

Best regards -Ray

Think this is it:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... g/sfs/500/

fd64-32bit-libs-6.sfs

If I am not mistaken - that should let you use 32bit pets.
HTH - Ray
Last edited by Ray MK on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#37 Post by gcmartin »

Booted and running LiveCD for the FATDOG RC2.

What was the resolution to this? Seems that this was somehow related to fonts.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Abiword Font problems from last year is back.png
(75.82 KiB) Downloaded 1190 times

jamesbond

Re: Desktop Recorder help

#38 Post by jamesbond »

Icyos wrote:Hi All

I have the RC2 build installed to a usb stick and would like to use GTK-Recordmydesktop or Xvidcap to make some videos about the o/s, however cant find either of them anywhere, the .pets on these forums dont work any help would really be appreciated.
Fatdog comes with a built-in screen recorder. Menu: Graphics --> Screencaster.

Ray, on behalf of kirk - you're welcome :)

Gcmartin, not that's not a font problem, more like incorrect configuration of pango/gtk, but I never have that kind of error before. Have you check your ISO's md5sum?

cheers!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Psip2

#39 Post by Lobster »

Hi guys

Eric has reported that Psip is not working on on Fatdog64 :oops:

The Psip program is being updated (more updates hopefully this weekend)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 750#555750

A Quickstart guide to the upgraded program is here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Psippy

If Pjsua (the PSIP 'engine') is compiled for 64 bit it should work?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Icyos

#40 Post by Icyos »

Ray MK wrote:Hi Icyos

I'm only a noob - but I think you need some 32bit compatibility stuff.

I'll try and find a link and hopefully some info.

BTW - FD64 is really good - solid and fast

Best regards -Ray

Think this is it:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... g/sfs/500/

fd64-32bit-libs-6.sfs

If I am not mistaken - that should let you use 32bit pets.
HTH - Ray
Hi Ray many thanks indeed buddy ill try that all out later thanks again.