direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: S3 Graphics Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Savage/MX/IX 20061110 x86/MMX/SSE
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 7.7.1

Pentium III (Coppermine)
Core 0: 796 MHz

Boot manager shows the "savage" driver is the is the one which is currently loaded. The Xorg-High- GLX driver is not shown as loaded or blacklisted.
keniv, I think you are good. Xorg_High is a supplement to the other drivers, adding the glx files, not a replacement. So you have the S3 Savage driver, now with the appropriate mesa glx/dri file, and Direct rendering is Yes.

Opening a console and running glxgears should show that everything is cool--just as it should be.

Don't forget to Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart X server to activate the glx/dri.

BTW, I have an S3 Savage graphics and a 800MZ P3 Coppermine in my old Thinkpad.

Arthur

great Puppy version

#102 Post by Arthur »

Thank you for a great version of Puppy. The only one to work on my main desktop machine - found the soundblaster card and Nvidia Geforce GT220 graphics card worked with the Nvidia driver. Google earth works well.

Also running well on my Portege A100 laptop and from a CF card in this compaq evo desktop.

I'm moving on from 431 and am impressed by the many changes and the ease of use of this puppy. Quickpet is very easy to use and the choice of software is excellent.
Lucid 528 on 4gig cf card to ide adaptor. 1gig ram. Compaq Evo 2gig processor. Also running Wary 511 Mediaplayer edition.

keniv

#103 Post by keniv »

Hi Playdayz

Thanks for your reply and the information about the Xorg-High driver. I did think that the savage driver should have been replaced by the Xorg-High driver but from your explanation I now realize this is not the case. I have run glxgears in a terminal but I do not really understand what the output means and so I have attached it below.

sh-4.1# glxgears
1423 frames in 5.0 seconds
1306 frames in 5.0 seconds
1378 frames in 5.0 seconds
1484 frames in 5.0 seconds
1472 frames in 5.0 seconds
1484 frames in 5.0 seconds
1467 frames in 5.0 seconds
1473 frames in 5.0 seconds
1448 frames in 5.0 seconds
1460 frames in 5.0 seconds
1463 frames in 5.0 seconds
1472 frames in 5.0 seconds
1461 frames in 5.0 seconds
1458 frames in 5.0 seconds
1461 frames in 5.0 seconds
1469 frames in 5.0 seconds
1466 frames in 5.0 seconds
1464 frames in 5.0 seconds
1470 frames in 5.0 seconds
1447 frames in 5.0 seconds

Can you tell me if this is what I should expect if the Xorg-High driver is working.

Thanks again for a great Puppy.

Ken.

playdayz

#104 Post by playdayz »

1447 frames in 5.0 seconds

Can you tell me if this is what I should expect if the Xorg-High driver is working.
Yes Ken, glxgears won't work *unless* Xorg_High is installed and working. What it is telling you is how many frames per second your video generates on the simple gears pattern that you see. Since this is an old computer (like mine) the "frame rate" is not very fast by modern standards so some videos probably will not play smoothly, because the computer cannot compute and display one frame before it is time to start on the next frame. But this is as good as it is going to get ;-) My Thinkpad with S3 Savage and even with Xorg_High , for instance, is too slow to watch youtube videos. I will test mine and see how it compares to your numbers.

Yep, the same, `1680, 1682, 1699, 1684, etc. Well, mine is a tiny bit faster, but not significantly.

keniv

#105 Post by keniv »

Hi Playdayz

Thanks for the explanation of the output from glxgears. I am glad that the Xorg- High driver is working as it should. I do get the "jerky" problem watching youtube videos through my browser. I don't know exactly how old this old laptop is but the bios is dated 1999 and so it looks to be at least 10 years old. As you suggest it has its limitations but I am pleased to say that 528 runs pretty well.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Ken.

oldland-dog

#106 Post by oldland-dog »

Hi everyone

My first post.

Just done a frugal install of 528 to my IBM A21M, 500mb ram and 700MHz processor. Its looking very slick, certainly feels faster than 525 especially web browsing with Seamonkey installed.

However I could not get my Atheros AR5008 wireless pcmcia card working straight away. I copied /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath folder from 525 to 528 and it worked just brilliant after a reboot.

Thanks very much for the new puppy!

darkcity

#107 Post by darkcity »

Anyone experiencing trouble with google chrome?

I can't find the original command installing put in 'defaultbrowser' file as set default browser program seem to just put:-

Code: Select all

exec <browser_name> "$@"
regardless of browser.

Anyhow, I've tried running Chrome from the commandline, here is what I get-

sh-4.1# exec chrome-linux
sh: exec: chrome-linux: not found
or

sh-4.1# /usr/lib/chrome-linux/chrome 
Illegal instruction

Any ideas ?

einar

#108 Post by einar »

Hi

i was trying to impress people with 528 and im having trouble installing nvidia drivers on a Intel i3 laptop. On first boot xorgwizard shows Intel as the driver and the resolution 1360*768 works flawless. But this laptop has a better nvidia gpu on it. The onboard intel gpu is not dissabled when i install nvidia drivers. Resulting in failing to load x after i have installed the drivers.

Is there way to solve this ?

best regards

Einar

Tman

#109 Post by Tman »

darkcity,

The command for chrome should be found in the .desktop file

Does anyone know if playdayz is planning a follow-up lucid pup after this version, or has he handed over the torch to 01micko?

darkcity

#110 Post by darkcity »

Which directory is the .desktop file in?

Also, I believe I have the right command but chrome won't start.

Isn't playday working on slakko?

bigpup

#111 Post by bigpup »

einar wrote:Hi

i was trying to impress people with 528 and im having trouble installing nvidia drivers on a Intel i3 laptop. On first boot xorgwizard shows Intel as the driver and the resolution 1360*768 works flawless. But this laptop has a better nvidia gpu on it. The onboard intel gpu is not dissabled when i install nvidia drivers. Resulting in failing to load x after i have installed the drivers.

best regards

Einar
Run Quickpet
Go to drivers tab
Run "click here to test your graphics card"
What does it say about your graphics card?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#112 Post by playdayz »

darkcity, Is it this google_chrome pet that you have installed. It is the one I prepared and it is the only one I know anything about.

When you install the pet, then the browse icon will start google_chrome, also there is an entry int he menu under Internet. Plus there is an entry in /usr/bin as well as the google_chrome.desktop file in /usr/share/applications..

This is experimental but it has been working for me. It does 2 things--first, it makes the newer chromium based browsers work without the pinwheel of death problem with loading, and second, it lets Seamonkey and other gecko based browsers work when installed along with the Chromium browsers.

1. First, please uninstall any Iron, Chromium, or Chrome pets.

2. Second, install this libgconf2-4_3.1.6 pet.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... _3.1.6.pet

3. Then install one or more of these Iron 13, Chromium 15 or Google Chrome 13 pets.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid528.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -Lucid.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -Lucid.pet

Please use only these pets--definitely do not use the pets for Slacko.

playdayz

#113 Post by playdayz »

Does anyone know if playdayz is planning a follow-up lucid pup after this version, or has he handed over the torch to 01micko?
We have had 7 releases, Whew! Next up is Slacko--I am helping a little but others are doing all the real work.

There will be an Instant Update for Lucid 5.2.8 Finlandia in a couple of weeks.

There will also be an update to Three-Headed Dog in a couple of weeks--that will be an iso.

einar

#114 Post by einar »

bigpup wrote:
einar wrote:Hi

best regards

Einar
Run Quickpet
Go to drivers tab
Run "click here to test your graphics card"
What does it say about your graphics card?

it says that i had a nvidia 6800 series, but the card is the newer GT310. but i think it will not load the driver because the intel is selected first somehow. any suggestions ?

kevin bowers

#115 Post by kevin bowers »

einar,
Did you try disabling the onboard video card in the BIOS setup? Or perhaps it may give options for "first video device" or some such similar? If this is necessary I would think you'd have the same problem in Windows, do you know if you do? Good luck!

James C

#116 Post by James C »

darkcity wrote:Anyone experiencing trouble with google chrome?
I have been unable to get any of the Chrome, Chromium or Iron pets to run on my Athlon XP box or my old P3 test box. If tried from the terminal I generally get.....
Illegal instruction
No problem on P4's, etc. though.I don't really like Chrome but I've made my own pets that do work.Pretty old version so no real reason to upload though.

James C

#117 Post by James C »

James C wrote:
darkcity wrote:Anyone experiencing trouble with google chrome?
I have been unable to get any of the Chrome, Chromium or Iron pets to run on my Athlon XP box or my old P3 test box. If tried from the terminal I generally get.....
Illegal instruction
No problem on P4's, etc. though.I don't really like Chrome but I've made my own pets that do work.Pretty old version so no real reason to upload though.
Guess I'll have to correct myself.Chrome may not have worked in the past on my old Athlon XP but now it does. Followed the instructions here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 500#555500 and now Chrome works. Lucid 528 live pfix=ram.

Must have been the libgconf2-4_3.1.6 pet. .... :)
Attachments
528.png
(164.01 KiB) Downloaded 1540 times

playdayz

#118 Post by playdayz »

Guess I'll have to correct myself.Chrome may not have worked in the past on my old Athlon XP but now it does. Followed the instructions here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 500#555500 and now Chrome works. Lucid 528 live pfix=ram.

Must have been the libgconf2-4_3.1.6 pet. ....
It took some experimentation, but they are working for me now--I have tried to replace the pets that didn't work--but it is definitely the libgconf pet that makes it happen. And a really odd thing is that I also tried to use the entire gconf 3.16--and the problem came back!

The story is that when I made the pets for Slacko I noticed I had to include libgconf (from Slackware). That pet then worked to eliminate the Loading problem in Lucid but it screwed up Seamonkey--so I just tried the newest Ubuntu libgconf and there we go--Chrome and Seamonkey both seem to be happy.

James C

#119 Post by James C »

This is the first Chrome,Chromium or Iron pet to work on this box.Already installed Chrome on my full install of 528 and all appears to be working correctly.Posting from Chrome right now.

bigpup

#120 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Here is a problem with getting connected with a Broadcom wireless controller.
The problem is a normal issue, but the solution is a bit strange.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70915
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)