Problems booting off USB stick with SATA HDD

Booting, installing, newbie
GarboEsq

Problems booting off USB stick with SATA HDD

#1 Post by GarboEsq »

G'day All,

Can boot off a Puppy 2.01 CD with computers with SATA HDD'no probs!! I've tried an AMD 3200XP with ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB with 2 SATA HDD's, and AMD 2600XP with Gigabyte GA-7N400 MB with PATA HDD's, and an IBM Thinkpad R52 laptop with SATA HDD booting from 2.01 CD and have had no problems.

HOWEVER...

After I install 2.01 to a USB 2.0 memory stick, I can't boot off it on the ASUS or Thinkpad laptop. I keep getting the kernel panic message that has been mentioned in other messages around here. I can boot from USB stick on the Gigabyte MB no probs though.

I downloaded and installed a modified initrd.gz that someone had posted that dealt with USB2 cards and USB sticks to see if it fixed the prob, but no good.

It looks as though (from a complete newbie here mind you) that there's a conflict between USB sticks and MB's with SATA HDD's (since the USB stick appears to puppy as a sda drive). Maybe Puppys confused between the two.

Anyone got any suggestions on how I might be able to get the booting from USb sticks going OK??? Or is it a case of wait for Puppy 2.0x until its sorted out??

Thanks in advance for any help/suggetions!!

Regards!

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Problems booting off USB stick with SATA HDD

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

GarboEsq wrote:I downloaded and installed a modified initrd.gz that someone had posted that dealt with USB2 cards and USB sticks to see if it fixed the prob, but no good.
I'm wrangling this same problem. First, let's make sure you downloaded the same initrd.gz as I did, the one at

http://www.puppyos.com/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=345

with filesize 975,341 bytes. This one was necessary in order to boot 2.01-seamonkey from a USB stick through a USB 2 PCMCIA adapter on my older Thinkpad T21. Is this the same initrd.gz as you have?

There have been some posts on SATA hard drives and tomorrow night I will do a search and try what has been suggested.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

yes, it does seem that puppy is confused by them both, as they have the same device naming.

unfortunately for me, i bought a new pc recently, specifically for sata testing, then found that the sata chip is not recognised by linux. There is apparently something in the works, but perhaps not until the 2.6.18 kernel.

JakeManes

Hi

#4 Post by JakeManes »

I just posted this--->http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8970

Make the computer think your USB is a Cd with this hack!
Hope it helps since you said you can boot off a CD!
:D