does puppy have a dvd copier

Using applications, configuring, problems
chrisperry

does puppy have a dvd copier

#1 Post by chrisperry »

a dvd copier that can back up my movie collection even with the copywrite protection of the dvd
i just got a dvd burner and would like to copy some of my store bought movies.
puppy 1.05 hd install
puppy 1.07 live cd
i haven't upgraded my hd to 1.07 yet
thanks chris

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

TkDVD in 1.0.7 has a new feature, to copy DVDs.
I haven't tried it.

Rhino

#3 Post by Rhino »

I haven't tried it in Puppy yet. If you are an XP user you should check out Scuba Pete's tutorials to get you going with minimal fuss and not have to worry about downloading too much spyware on your computer. All of the apps are FREE!

I bought a program to shrink movies down so that I can play them on my Palm TX.

Good Luck!

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

Uh, 'scubapete' link doesnt mention linux just basic way to back up dvd movie with windows programs.

You really need DVDshink or simular. DVDshrink will run under WINE. Apparently runs well though I've never tried such. There is also this linux version: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdshrink Called XDVDshrink though I couldnt find much out about it. Some say it does work in limited way, nowhere near as well as windoze version but does work say if you just want the movie and not the menues and extras. Apparently its one of those one man band linux projects that gets put on back burner when author gets busy elsewhere.

I hanvnt had time to look at any of this in any detail. Though have to say it would be nice to have DVDshrink run under puppy as the only thing I still use XP for is to run DVDshrink which makes an iso and I burn that with Puppy. Maybe some folk here will make an XDVDshrink dotpup or at least try it and tell us if it works at all. Somebody sometime ago got WINE to work on Puppy didnt they? The windoze dvdshrink apparently does work well under wine though wine consumption makes for a very fat pup if I remember.

Rhino

#5 Post by Rhino »

Rhino wrote: If you are an XP user ...
:wink:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

There is a KDE application that does that.
I can't remember it's name though. It copies a video DVD to a standard 4.3G single-layer DVD. I recall it looked really good and I wanted it ...except Puppy doesn't have KDE ....but there are KDE dotpups and there is a KDE-ised Puppy ...

Rhino

#7 Post by Rhino »

One of the apps may be Handbrake and another is DVD::Rip.

mouldy

#8 Post by mouldy »

Sorry Rhino, didnt see the "If you are XP user". :wink:

Looked at Handbrake. It seems mostly aimed at OSX and BeOS (thats a surprise). There is a DEB pkg for one old version, but link is dead. I also dont see where it shrinks anything to fit single layer dvds. Just lot talk about Ipods and such.

Looked at dvd::rip. It says it is not for encrypted dvds and dont ask further on the subject. Also seems to just be a ripper and not a shrinker.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:There is a KDE application that does that.
I can't remember it's name though. It copies a video DVD to a standard 4.3G single-layer DVD. I recall it looked really good and I wanted it ...except Puppy doesn't have KDE ....but there are KDE dotpups and there is a KDE-ised Puppy ...
I remember now: it is called K9Copy.

It needs "libdvdread" and "dvdauthor" and "growisofs"
-- the last is in Puppy, the first two are PupGet packages.
-- and it needs KDE.

nukacola

#10 Post by nukacola »

xp solution
DVD EZ Copy Ive been using some time ago.