Fatdog64-520RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

Fatdog64-520RC2

#1 Post by kirk »

I've uploaded Fatdog64-520RC2. Hopefully this will be the last release before final.

linux-3.0.3
Firefox-6.0
Abiword-2.9.1-patched
Updated Peasyscan
Add PeasyPDF

James patched Abiword, seems to be working nicely now. Added a entry to the FAQs for the sandbox scripts. Other small fixes. RC2 is needed because of the kernel. We're back to the 3.x kernel. The CIFS mount bug is fixed thanks to patches in the 3.0.2 release, and a patch from Junjiro Okajima, which will be in 3.0.4.

Get it here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ns/fatdog/

Make sure you delete any old save files before testing.

We have not made new Nvidia or ATI pet packages yet. Don't use the old ones!

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

Nice one, kirk. Keep 'em coming! Had loadsa issues with the last one, but it's a worthwhile project...

Later: Load of problems back! The on-screen setup parameters don't show, the k/b defaults to USA, the X res. is wrong and there are big problems trying to rectify it (still on the SiS Mirage) although there is an initial low res. screen (800x600). But DHPC does come up - incidentally, can we dispense with the tacky bubbles reminiscent of you-know-who's cr*p OS? If you want to show the network coming up, just a simple text message would suffice: more professional!
I see that Cornish is included. Does that include all the missing vowel sounds and accents? The old lady who spoke Cornish all her life died a couple of years ago. I believe the prof. who speaks Cornish as a party piece and as his academic topic may also speak real English/English, too. What about the Welsh speakers in Patagonia & Brittany?! i.e. isn't that list of locales too extensive for a compact distro? They even speak English in the US, though they have funny monetary symbols on their keyboards. Some pruning might help? I'll promise to ask the Cornish speaking prof. not to beat you up. English English and Mao's simplified Chinese should cover it - the Germans speak better English than our schoolkids.

Will check it out some more, if time.

Jim1911

#3 Post by Jim1911 »

Manual frugal installation on an ext3 partition is working great. It booted perfectly and everything checked just works fine.

However, please consider:

1. Leaving out the nouveau driver for the final release. Nouveau prevents the vendors driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-280.13.run from installing and it's a real headache to remove and requires a number of reboots. Once nouveau is removed the latest driver can be easily installed.

2. Activating the Puppy Package Manager and linking it to your download area which has lots of fine applcations.

Thanks for a great distribution that is fast, stable, and everything appears to work properly.

Cheers,
Jim

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(47.5 KiB) Downloaded 2244 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64-520RC2

#4 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to compaq desktop.

Computer
Processor 2x Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory 4044MB (397MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.50
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Mon 22 Aug 2011 08:51:53 PM GMT+5
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version
Kernel Linux 3.0.3 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Thu Aug 18 22:58:50 GMT+5 2011
C Library GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.50
OpenGL
Vendor Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33
Version 1.4 Mesa 7.10.3
Direct Rendering Yes
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.346 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.923 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.919 FPS

kirk

#5 Post by kirk »

The on-screen setup parameters don't show, the k/b defaults to USA, the X res. is wrong and there are big problems trying to rectify it (still on the SiS Mirage) although there is an initial low res. screen (800x600)
I would expect it to be the same as RC1, use the same work around. The keyboard has always defaulted to US. Use the Mouse/keyboard wizard to change.

1. Leaving out the nouveau driver for the final release. Nouveau prevents the vendors driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-280.13.run from installing and it's a real headache to remove and requires a number of reboots. Once nouveau is removed the latest driver can be easily installed.
Nouveau works pretty well for some. It's not hard to remove, just delete, /lib/modules/3.0.3/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko. Unfortunately, open source Nvidia support has many holes.

We'll make Nvidia and ATI pets soon. Thanks for testing guys.

kirk

#6 Post by kirk »

can we dispense with the tacky bubbles
I'm not a big fan of those ether, but I don't dislike them enough to make a replacement. I did add a check box to Frisbee that you can un-check to disable the popups.

James C

#7 Post by James C »

A quick run of RC2,live pfix=ram.Everything working and correct on initial boot....internet,display and sound. This box is one of those that uses the Nouveau driver.
Looking pretty good.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Memory : 3796MB (272MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.50
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 22 Aug 2011 10:26:33 PM GMT+5
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.0.3 (x86_64)
Version : #1 SMP Thu Aug 18 22:58:50 GMT+5 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Distribution : Puppy Linux 0.50
-Current Session-
Attachments
fatdog.png
(106.83 KiB) Downloaded 2145 times

Ray MK

#8 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Got rc2 and all looks good to a noob. First impressions are outstanding - fast.

Just going to make a save_file and see how it goes.

Thanks again for everything -
without your efforts I and many like me could not hope to enjoy the latest k3.0. and I suspect the only working k3.0 linux available today on our laptops.

Add 64bit to that and we really do have something very special.

Much appreciated and very best regards - Ray

raffy

kernel 3.03

#9 Post by raffy »

Yay, kernel 3.03 is now running in the Fusion E-350. :)

It ran with "nomodeset apm=off", however, sometimes it hangs. It looks like a graphics driver problem. Fatdog64 no longer uses xorgwizard, so I will still have to learn the tricks of Xorg setup. The Fusion has Radeon 6xxx chips.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jamesbond

#10 Post by jamesbond »

raffy,
just delete /etc/X11/no-xorg.conf and Xorg will create xorg.conf for you, which you can tweak to your liking.

Jim1911,
I will have to disagree with you on this. I'm one of those whose display won't work without nouveau - so I'm glad that it's included by default. Without it I can't even download nvidia driver to begin with :)
What I can do is to explore ways to disable and remove nouveau without having to reboot - if you decide to install nvidia proprietary driver.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

Fatdog64 no longer uses xorgwizard,
Ah ha! That explains a lot !

gcmartin

live media users

#12 Post by gcmartin »

Please don't forget us Live meida users. We run desktops purely from the Live media. I have been using FATDOG this way since first introduced. Sometimes (although rare) there have been occasions where SFS are produced but no PETs for added functionality.

Over the years, the only time I reboot is when I have added some functionality where I want to insure will be included for all future reboots. And, my DVD is so fast and my boots are so rare, that Live media is the best solution for my environment and OS protection.

Lastly, when are you going to move SAMBA 3.56 to main area so PPM can see it???

Thanks for all the great work the 2 of you are doing for the community. This truly continues to be a very fast performer.

P.S. Thanks also to all of those testing as it verifiies what we see on our own desktops when you report here. Thanks to everyone here!

kirk

#13 Post by kirk »

just delete /etc/X11/no-xorg.conf and Xorg will create xorg.conf for you, which you can tweak to your liking.
Or you can run the Xorg Video Wizard from the setup menu.

Ray MK

#14 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Just noticed a small gremlin -
when I moved some files from Downloads
to sda3 which is ntfs

I saw a red error message - saying something like,
operation not supported, not done or not completed

However the files were moved and seem intact and ok.

I did not notice this with RC1.

I am guessing that the new kernel ntfs bits are where the issue may lie.
Not a big problem for me 'cos I've still got rc1 anyway, but thought it
was worth a mention being we are getting close to final.

JFYI - am running frugal with a save_file on sda3 ntfs.
did defrag sda3 first.
booting with grub4dos from sdc1, which is an 8gig fat32 SDcard.

Have not been brave enough to shrink sda3 yet,
and put ext4 on a new partition. Soon.

Thanks again - regards - Ray

Jim1911

#15 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:raffy,

Jim1911,
I will have to disagree with you on this. I'm one of those whose display won't work without nouveau - so I'm glad that it's included by default. Without it I can't even download nvidia driver to begin with :)
What I can do is to explore ways to disable and remove nouveau without having to reboot - if you decide to install nvidia proprietary driver.
That may be difficult because the reboot is required to remove the nouveau driver that is in use. However, you must do it somehow to get your pet to work properly. Don't be concerned about it. I didn't realize how important it is to some users, so just leave it as is.

Thanks,
Jim

jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

To remove nouveau (other than deleting the folder as kirk already said earlier) with a single reboot, assuming you boot for the first time:
- first boot
- choose System --> Boot Manager --> Blacklist and add nouveau
- reboot and create a save file
After reboot nouveau will no longer be loaded.

There is a way to remove nouveau without rebooting, but not for 520 (because it requires yet another kernel recompilation...) --> this http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/VT_HW ... NDING.html to be enabled. And you need vbetool.

gcmartin,
samba-3.5.6 moved to the main PPM area and should be accessible through PPM now.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

kirk

#17 Post by kirk »

You might be able to unload nouveau and delete it on the first boot if you boot with nomodeset pfix=vesa.

jamesbond

#18 Post by jamesbond »

Ray, assuming you still have windows on it (since you have ntfs) - boot Windows and do chkdsk on that partition. Then try again.

I just tried on my ntfs partition and it works ok, no errors. I didn't put my savefile there though, that ntfs partition is on a usb stick. If you put the savefile on ntfs partition, once a while you will get some corruption (which is okay), all you need to do is to boot windows and run chkdsk on it. Then everything will be good again (for a while). All my fat dogs are unleashed and they run with either ext3 or ext4, but I still have Wary that runs on ntfs and my record so far is about 4 months - every 4 months things start to rot, I need to go to windows to chkdsk the disk and make it happy.
kirk wrote:You might be able to unload nouveau and delete it on the first boot if you boot with nomodeset pfix=vesa.
Even better :)

cheers!

raffy

More tests with Fusion E-350

#19 Post by raffy »

kirk wrote:.. boot with nomodeset pfix=vesa.
(Testing Fusion E-350)

Thanks for that tip! I did that with 520RC2 and it ran OK from cold-boot, but not OK thereafter. It simply hangs.

I tried the parameters with 511 (my first use of Fatdog 64!) and I got a screen with working Mesa/direct rendering. The xorg.conf looks like the pristine xorg.conf. Subsequent boots of 511 are OK even without the added kernel parameters. xorg.conf was unchanged.

I tested xorgwizard from the menu of 511 and it created the vesa xorg.conf files (see example files here) but hung at xwin time. Rebooting and using CLI, I restored the xorg.conf from its bak copy and was able to get back to X.

I encounter a similar problem in 520RC2 - I could not use xorgwizard from X (when X is working). All I see is a blank screen.

Therefore, the question: is there another way to test/tweak xorg before X, or is simply adding "pfix=vesa" the recommended solution for X problems?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

gcmartin

HARDINFO Reports do not balance

#20 Post by gcmartin »

System appears to running stably. Only issue I have found in shown in the attached reports. This is a low priority issue since it does NOT impact system operation(s). But, it is misleading to someone trying to ID information about their PC.

Please look at the hardcopy report and compare its information with the on-screen report page.

My finding is that the hardcopy shows RAM and MB information while the screen does NOT.

My question is two-fold. Can others post similar info? and who should the issue be addressed by?

Hope this helps
Attachments
report-video-glx.txt.bz2
Hardcopy report on video, Memory, and Hardinfo results
(10.46 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
HardINFO Cumputer on-screen is not reporting information found in the report hardcopy.png
Missing Information contained on this Hardinfo screen
(127.96 KiB) Downloaded 1961 times