Lighthouse Pup 5.03 203M Wine 1.3.14 (not being maintained)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

#181 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:I had to reload 503 final, and this time the pet for Chromium installed - and you set it up with thoughtful extras. I especially liked the theme you provided (sort of greeny/Jungle/Gauguin style).

However I clicked once on "use GTK Theme" in the Chrome preferences and found there was no way to get back the original theme! I do not know the name (and Chromium doesn't store its themes like Firefox does) and I've looked through to no avail. The pet for LHP64 Chromium doesn't have the same theme.
Under Chrome preferences -> Personal -> Appearance, there should be a 'Use Classic Theme' button to remove the GTK Theme. The custom theme by Yulia Brodskaya is at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dpko?hl=en
One observation on both pups - I always change the menu bar to the top, and in LXDE (503) and Openbox (L64) part of the top row of icons get covered, and when some new windows open, their title bar is covered covered and I need to press alt and drag the window a bit to work with them.
Xfce as I recall adjusts the icon placement and where windows open. Any suggestions?
That's true, I usually only place my taskbar at the top in KDE, which automatically adjusts desktop item placement. I don't know how to quickly move the ROX or LXDE icons away from the taskbar. The LXPanel Preferences (right-click on the clock -> Panel Settings -> Advanced) has an option 'Reserve space and not covered by maximized windows' that might prevent windows from getting covered.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Barburo

#182 Post by Barburo »

Thanks for the info Taz,
Yes I can configure LXDE OK.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

don570

#183 Post by don570 »

Just a note that I hacked the script I found in
Lighthouse 503 to open files with the extension .tar.xz

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70930

don570

#184 Post by don570 »

I just discovered that mp3splt works well with
this Puppy because Audacious is installed.

It turns out that mp3splt can use audacious to
play the sound file. This is a preference
setting. Then click the 'Connect' icon

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 20&t=48127

calexand

#185 Post by calexand »

Using this on an EeePC 900A. Having two problems not had prior using 502; upon opening music player from the wbar, I get the an alsa error-snd_pcm_open failed: No such file or directory.
And when opening firefox I get an error stating that Better Privacy failed to load with several lines of code,etc.
Any clues/help?

algyzas

#186 Post by algyzas »

Strange behaviour. I'm on 3g dial up modem (using cell phone connection). Just tried to use lighthouse update (on 5.03) to install java jre, not only it is telling, that connection is absent, but also killing ppp0 process :shock:

futurnet

#187 Post by futurnet »

When I try to run a portable application (www.portablelinuxapps.org) i got this error message:

shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
sudo: cannot get working directory
mount: according to mtab, aMule_226 is already mounted on /tmp/.mount_G5M3BG

open dir error: : No such file or directory

usually I did with lupu 5.X without problem.
Is there a work around?

For me is very important cause I use many portable applications in USB stick.

Thank

HiDeHo

#188 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi all just wondering How the latest lhp runs on older computers. in the past i found that lhp did not run well on my old p4 1.6-1.8 ghz 512 mb ram.

i believe that a good idea for lighthouse pup would be to trim the fat from the main os. having a lighter build. a common misconception about the older kernel being better for older computers. this is not true, its about the newer kernel not having the added support for older computers, when compiled. better to have a smaller os with a fat modern kernel than a stripped out kernel.
as lighthouse pup loads tons of sfs the smaller the base the better. lol then peopel can add what they like/need without unused things clocking up the space.

maybe things are changing in your os. which is great.

what i want to know really is how big is lhp now without any sfs addons or mariner install. just the base os. just to compare to a builsd i am working on in puppy. as i might jump over to lhp.

can you provide a change log if you have one for lhp base so i can see what it has adn has been taken out/'stipped down from normal puppy etc thanks.

someone_else

Issues with virtualbox

#189 Post by someone_else »

I installed lighthouse pup mariner (the 700-ish iso) on a 20 gb external HDD using the puppy installation procedure, then moved sfs around and everything seems to work correctly. (to boot from it I use a cd with plopboot since my BIOS is too dumb to recognize it as a boot device even if in puppy's chameleon mode)

I tried using virtualbox and installed Win Xp as a virtual machine (using the absolute link as you told somewhere in the forum to not fill the savefile, and afterwards I installed the guest additions into it from Virtualbox) it works normally until it is booting or I'm doing stuff with it, but when I leave it there idle and say go online with firefox (from lighthouse), after a few minutes it closes the virtual machine and from the virtual box main window says that the machine is "interrupted".

Any idea of what may be wrong with it?

gcmartin

Assist LHP performance observation

#190 Post by gcmartin »

HiDeHo wrote: ...in the past i found that lhp did not run well on my old p4 1.6-1.8 ghz 512 mb ram. ...
@HiDeHo

I don't know if anyone answered you on this, but I have such a machine. I have run LHP5.03 in a live media operation without issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong, are you saying that LHP does not run well or are you saying Mariner is not well on your PC? And, do you have a SWAP partition defined? I think you are aware of the need for a SWAP partition when running Live media.

If I knew which of the 2 LHPs running, I would setup and re-capture a report for comparison. This may help to try and recreate your performance behavior.

Let us know.

HiDeHo

Re: Assist LHP performance observation

#191 Post by HiDeHo »

gcmartin wrote:
HiDeHo wrote: ...in the past i found that lhp did not run well on my old p4 1.6-1.8 ghz 512 mb ram. ...
@HiDeHo

I don't know if anyone answered you on this, but I have such a machine. I have run LHP5.03 in a live media operation without issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong, are you saying that LHP does not run well or are you saying Mariner is not well on your PC? And, do you have a SWAP partition defined? I think you are aware of the need for a SWAP partition when running Live media.

If I knew which of the 2 LHPs running, I would setup and re-capture a report for comparison. This may help to try and recreate your performance behavior.

Let us know.
i am not sure as i long since stoped using lighthouse ion that computer.

my impression from testing is that lighthouse puppy is more suited to newer computer. well the later versions are.

that does happen with newer so that require more resorses even with LHP or any puppy, i even tested a version of quirly that made my laptop run hot adn some reason the corect driver for cpu frequency scalling was not working.,

so there are many reasons as to why LHP may not work on older computers. i found it to be on mine. i figure its ws needign to many resorces, it si a pentium 4 with 1.6-1.8cpu and 512mb ram.

someone_else

#192 Post by someone_else »

regarding my issue with virtualbox, I may have found the cause.

Seems like RAM usage is to blame, and if I set the virtualbox's dedicated ram too high (more than 512mb out of a total of 2 gb), puppy seems to kill the new program that is using too much RAM. Before it was virtualbox since it was the last one I activated, now it is firefox or libreoffice.

Is this way of acting normal?

Feel free to ask more if necessary.

someone_else

#193 Post by someone_else »

hmmm... I have not set up any swapping space (most task managers clearly indicate this fact).

Which is dumb. :oops:

I tried with the usual terminal commands like say these, but keeps creating the swap space into its savefile.

Is there a way to make a linux swap file outside the savefile?

Ray MK

#194 Post by Ray MK »

Hi someone_else

Yes - but not easy - Jemimah did it with Pupeee and Fluppy.

Much easier to setup a swap partition using Gparted.

HTH - best regards - Ray

ICPUG

#195 Post by ICPUG »

someone_else wrote:Is there a way to make a linux swap file outside the savefile?

It cannot be that difficult Ray. Provided you have the right partition types available, basically NOT NTFS, it is done automatically on a lot of pups.

Have a look here and also look at links:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SwapFile

This looked interesting:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615

someone_else

#196 Post by someone_else »

Thanks for the input! :wink:

Btw, managed to f**k up everything, by trying to increase the savefile by 1 gb, then doing it again without fixing it during boot. (yeah, read too late about that bug :P )

The savefile became 3 gb but puppy used it as if it was still 1 gb, and there is no way I could fix it. Tried to fix it from a Lucid puppy I had around, and then from the lighthouse CD, and the only thing I managed to do is screwing up the installation. So I decided to relax and reinstall.

Saved the only thing worth saving (the virtual disk of Virtual Box where I installed Windows XP, which would be a true PITA to reinstall-redownload patches) and I'm ready to begin.

A last question, is there a way to save your stuff without using the savefile? Sounds incredibly dumb to have a ext3 filesystem savefile in a filesystem partition that is already ext3.

EDIT: clarified a little.

ICPUG

#197 Post by ICPUG »

someone_else wrote: A last question, is there a way to save your stuff without using the savefile? Sounds incredibly dumb to have a ext3 filesystem savefile in a filesystem partition that is already ext3.
You can save most of your stuff outside the save file.

Configuration data that automatically stores within the linux filesystem will go in the save file.

You can save external data files outside of the save file as you wish.

If there is a configuration setting you can also save other automatically generated files outside the save file. The first thing most users find is that the browser temporary file cache starts grabbing lots of save file space. The solution is to set the browser conguration so that the temporary file space is on your hd filesystem rather than the linux filesystem.

In order to save stuff outside the save file you need to have an understanding of mounting disk partitions because you cannot save to the partition until it is mounted. Secondly you need to know what your partitions are known as to Puppy Linux when they are mounted.

You should find that the partition with the sfs file on it is already mounted and is known as /mnt/home.

You can mount other partitions by clicking the desktop icon for the partition.

If I remember rightly the first primary partition of the first sata/ide hard disk is known as /mnt/sda1 when mounted.

The second primary partition is /mnt/sda2

The first logical partition in an extended partition is known as /mnt/sda5

The first primary partition on the SECOND sata/ide hard disk is known as /mnt/sdb1

When you click on the disk icon to mount it then the filesystem will open as well and you can see what it is known as.

Hope the pattern is understood now. When saving a file just save to the appropriate directory.
e.g to save to the document directory of the second primary partition of the first sata/ide hard disk then save to:
/mnt/sda2/document

Of course, if you did a full install rather than a frugal install you wouldn't have to worry about save files and all this. One of the advantages of a full install. However, that is not a recommendation for a full install. You do what is best for you. I prefer frugals myself.

These questions are becoming Puppy generic rather than specific to Lighthouse Pup. I would suggest if you have further questions like this you start a thread in the Beginners Forum so that we can leave this thread to discuss Lighthouse specifically.

tazoc

Keep VirtualBox or Wine from filling up your save file

#198 Post by tazoc »

someone_else wrote:Saved the only thing worth saving (the virtual disk of Virtual Box where I installed Windows XP, which would be a true PITA to reinstall-redownload patches) and I'm ready to begin.

A last question, is there a way to save your stuff without using the savefile? Sounds incredibly dumb to have a ext3 filesystem savefile in a filesystem partition that is already ext3.
ICPUG's reply is right on the mark. /mnt/home is your friend--with as much space as that partition has, and outside of the save file.

I would add that VirtualBox is especially prone to filling up the save file, (OS installations can be huge) as you've found. What I do is close VirtualBox, move /root/.VirtualBox to, or make a folder, .VirtualBox on another partition or within /mnt/home. Then in ROX-Filer I drag and drop it to /root and choose 'Link (absolute)' when prompted. That way VB will work with /root/.VirtualBox as before, even though it is actually on another partition.

In Lighthouse, you can also do that by pasting this into a terminal:

Code: Select all

frugal-symlink /root/.VirtualBox .VirtualBox
(There is a space before the last .VirtualBox.) That method will put the large .vdi disk images and all VB settings into a folder at /mnt/home/LHP_503_Programs/.VirtualBox

The same method can be used for browsers e.g., Firefox with /root/.mozilla or Wine with /root/.wine

Code: Select all

frugal-symlink /root/.wine .wine
For usage, type frugal-symlink --help in a terminal.

Hope that helps,
TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

nickdobrinich

Dell laptop wireless

#199 Post by nickdobrinich »

I am having intermittent problems connecting a variety of Dell laptops via wireless.
These have Dell Wireless DW1490 pci cards in them.
I can successfully connect maybe 1 time in 20.

Frisbee tries hard but does not succeed.
The network connection wizard does not work either, can't even see the wlan.
Older puppies like 4.3.1 do work.

Is there some way to use Barry's Simple Network Setup?
Or could it be a kernel upgrade problem?
I was able to connect with an earlier Lighthouse which I have since deleted.
I've searched all over the forum and tried various pieces parts to no avail.
Mind you, I love Lighthouse too much to give up.
I went so far as to drop a CAT5 cable from the attic to direct connect.

I have attached both working and nonworking pnetworkdiag files.
Perhaps someone can point me to the error of my ways.

EDIT
It may be that I have a hardware initialization problem tho the wireless card is known good and works under Windows and Pup Server 4.3.5
Plus I have this problem on at least 4 similar Dell laptops.

This is the boot error message I usually get.
I was finally able to trap it with ctrl-S during boot up:

Dynamic linker (ldconfig)udevd-work[13713]:
'firmware --firmware=b43/b0g0bsinitvals5.fw
--devpath=/devices/pci0000:00/0000.00.1c.1/0000:0c:00.0/ssb0:0/firmware/ssb0:0'
unexpected exit with status 0x000b

Looks like the card is not getting initialized.
The advice I found in /var/logs/messages is to flash the firmware on the wireless card from linuxwireless.org
But I've never tried this before.
I'm not sure if I am up to doing this.

EDIT2
For work I got a refurbed Dell D631 with a different Dell Wireless PCI card which is not even seen by the OS, though it works in XP and PupServer.
I ran thru all the Lighthouse AutoProbe drivers but still can't connect wirelessly.
So I think it's a driver and/or firmware problem.
Solution: I added a switch to the CAT5 I dropped from the attic. My wife is less than thrilled at my klugery.
Attachments
pnetworkdiagNONworkingWlan.tar.gz
(27.95 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
pnetworkdiagWorkingWlan.tar.gz
(31.07 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
Last edited by nickdobrinich on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

nickdobrinich

Wine 1.3.14

#200 Post by nickdobrinich »

I could not get Wine 1,3,14 working.
I grabbed Wine 1.1.39-p4 from the PPM and all is well.