Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kevin bowers

#81 Post by kevin bowers »

playdayz wrote:
Google Earth won't run, perhaps because it requires the drivers that PPM specifically says are not for NVidia cards? I installed the NVidia drivers but no go.
Thanks Kevin, I think Google Earth 6.0.3 *should* run with the Nvidia drivers in Quickpet, under Drivers. Test your card and then install the appropriate Nvidia driver. Maybe someone else with an Nviida card could test Google Earth--it definitely needs the high end graphics. Oh, i do have one Nvidia card to test.
Cool Edit 2000
The greatest ever--I still use it. The copy protection might be a problem in wine. I'll try, but I am booked for a couple of days.
Testing the card and installing the appropriate driver is exactly what I did. BTW, it's a full-install on an EXT3 partition, Pentium dual-core w/4GB and a 512MB GeForce210 card. Should be plenty of horsepower. I tried two different versions of Google Earth, I get the screen splash and then nothing.

I collect and clean-up old vinyl, their click-and-pop eliminator is the best I've ever seen although very slow. The program still runs on Win7. It returns an error message about the system not configured properly when I attempt to run it in WINE, and suggests running Setup again. Could still be copyright protection, though. That's probably the problem with Nitro PDF also, and I suspect it's just not worth the effort to try to get around it. After all neither one can be installed on a computer that doesn't have Windows on it anyway! I do have a standalone Windows program that I plan to test in WINE without Windows present, it is for reading and configuring Alltrax DC motor controllers through an interface cable. But I will have to do that at work because it requires the controller to be present or it closes. It'll be awhile before that happens, I'll try to post the results somewhere in the Puppy forums.

Once again, thanks for all the hard work!

bigpup

#82 Post by bigpup »

kevin bowers wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Google Earth won't run, perhaps because it requires the drivers that PPM specifically says are not for NVidia cards? I installed the NVidia drivers but no go.
Thanks Kevin, I think Google Earth 6.0.3 *should* run with the Nvidia drivers in Quickpet, under Drivers. Test your card and then install the appropriate Nvidia driver. Maybe someone else with an Nviida card could test Google Earth--it definitely needs the high end graphics. Oh, i do have one Nvidia card to test.
Cool Edit 2000
The greatest ever--I still use it. The copy protection might be a problem in wine. I'll try, but I am booked for a couple of days.
Testing the card and installing the appropriate driver is exactly what I did. BTW, it's a full-install on an EXT3 partition, Pentium dual-core w/4GB and a 512MB GeForce210 card. Should be plenty of horsepower. I tried two different versions of Google Earth, I get the screen splash and then nothing.
kevin bowers,
Are you sure you are using a Nvidia driver for your graphics card?
In menu->system->system status and config-> Hardinfo->display->OpenGL
What does it say fo OpenGL driver info?

I have a Nvidia Quadro FX 330 video card that uses the Nvidia 173.14.25 driver which is really old.
Google Earth 6.0.3 installed from Quickpet works fine for me. No problems.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

kevin bowers

#83 Post by kevin bowers »

Bigpup,
Hardinfo reports "unknown" under all the OpenGL categories. I installed what Quickpet recommended, Lucid511-nvidia-260.19.12-k2.6.33.2, and it seemed to go through all the steps and worked right.
I appreciate all the high-powered effort!

Insomniacno1

#84 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Béèm wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:
Béèm wrote:From 3.xx on I use wine when it still was 0.9.x
Now I am at 1.3.23 and still never had a problem to find wine in the menu's of any puppy included the latest ones.
green_dome is the person who compiles wine and his latest is 1.3.25.
Winehq has announced 1.3.26, so green_dome will shortly announce it.

The Wine thread of green_dome can be easily found by searching on his name with the puppy search link in my thread.

Now for your problem, it is better to post it the users forum, as I don't think it's a lucid 5.2.8 issue.
Hi Beem, did I offend you in some way? I don't claim to have more experience than you guys, I have nothing but utter respect for your guys work, but as I said if someone dont tell about the problems then they will continue as is.

with kind regards

Jan

Actually I were not kidden or mistaken about the wine, one of the users here compilled it to 1.3.9.

http://www.wuala.com/puppylinux/version ... -1.3.9_v1/

and 1.3.9 has actually been available since december 2010

http://www.winehq.org/news/2010121001

My problem, as described with wine is that the "Wine Programs" menu entry never show up in Puppy. "Wine Programs" is where all your installed programs will be listed, I cant see why that has been left out. Another thing missing from the menu is "Explore Drive C:".

Well, you say its not an issue with 5.2.8, and I say it seems to be problem with all Puppy including 5.2.8 so thats why I tell the publisher of 5.2.8 that it would be nice if it were fixed in his version:)

I'm not a programmer, but I can immagine the enormous effort someone has put into it when posting his or hers Puppy version. And I can appreciate it, but if we don't tell the problems then they will not get fixed.

With kind regards

JBJ
You probably have more experience then I have.
So good luck with your request.

dejan555

#85 Post by dejan555 »

Hi people, congrats on 5.2.8, it's a very smooth release.
Just booted it today for the first time on my laptop and it works nicely so I setup frugal install with 1.25 GB savefile and devx sfs.

Laptop is Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535
Intel Celeron 540 @ 1.86 Ghz, 447 MB RAM (+512 swap)
wide monitor @ 1280x768 resolution

touchpad works, sound works ootb, downloaded firefox 5 which updated itself to 6.0, added flash, youtube videos play. Resolution wasn't set correctly on autoconfiguration but set easily in xorgwizad.
No lag in graphics or while browsing so far so I think I'll keep it as frugal on this machine :)

I compiled some packages, new version of pidgin and latest weechat are here and here
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

bigpup

#86 Post by bigpup »

kevin bowers wrote:Bigpup,
Hardinfo reports "unknown" under all the OpenGL categories. I installed what Quickpet recommended, Lucid511-nvidia-260.19.12-k2.6.33.2, and it seemed to go through all the steps and worked right.
I appreciate all the high-powered effort!
If you are not seeing info about a Nvidia driver in Hardinfo->display->OpenGL you are not using the Nvidia driver for OpenGL.
This is a good indication that the Nvidia driver is not being used to drive your Graphics.
After downloading and installing the Nvidia driver. Did you run xorgwizard to make the change to what driver the system is using?
When running xorgwizard:
After selecting the resolution you get option to test.
Run the test and the test results will tell you if the Nvidia driver is being used.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#87 Post by bigpup »

First impression of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70999
YaPI(any iso installer)

kevin bowers

#88 Post by kevin bowers »

Bigpup,
installing the driver automatically runs xorgwizard, but I just did it again just to be sure. xorgwizard reports the driver being used as "nv". Just to eliminate possibilities I changed the depth from 16 to 24 bits. No go: Google Earth still shows the screensplash then quits, and hardinfo still reports "unknown" under "Open GL". I am back to my original theory, that this driver is not compatible with Google Earth. Too bad, but after all it's just a toy for me, not something I need, and I'm sure I could run it in Windows if necessary. Once again, thanks for the efforts even if they didn't pay off!

James C

#89 Post by James C »

Your obviously not getting the correct driver selected.... "nv" is the generic driver which doesn't support OpenGL. Have you tried the "choose" option and then picking "Nvidia"? Probe should work to choose the correct driver but evidently not in your case.
Just an idea. :)

bigpup

#90 Post by bigpup »

kevin bowers,

I Agree with James C. you are not using the Nvidia driver you installed.
You seem to have fallen into the Black area of Video driver install. What should work does not work. Could be the driver you installed is not compatible with your video card. Could be xorgwizard just refuses to us it for some unknown reason.
The only solution I have seen that works 100%, is to just start over fresh with a clean full install or for frugal installs, a fresh save file.
Make selecting and using a new video driver the first thing you do.

If anyone knows more about this please inform us. I just had basically this same problem and my only cure was to start fresh.

I tried a new driver and all that would work was the Vesa driver.
Removed old driver, rebooted using Vesa driver, installed new driver, ran xorgwizard, tried to get new driver selected, and xorgwizard refused to use it.
Started with a fresh save file, installed the driver I tried to use, ran xorgwizard, and it worked this time.
YaPI(any iso installer)

dejan555

#91 Post by dejan555 »

@noryb009 On which windows versions does the installer work?

@kevin bowers It would be good to try to run google earth from terminal, then see if it outputs any error messages.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

ICPUG

#92 Post by ICPUG »

dejan555

If you read the 'more info' link pointed to by NoryB you will see that he says the installer works on Windows 95 to 7 except ME.

dejan555

#93 Post by dejan555 »

Oops, I somehow missed that :oops:

kevin bowers

#94 Post by kevin bowers »

James C wrote:Your obviously not getting the correct driver selected.... "nv" is the generic driver which doesn't support OpenGL. Have you tried the "choose" option and then picking "Nvidia"? Probe should work to choose the correct driver but evidently not in your case.
Just an idea. :)
Bingo! I don't know why xorg didn't pick it before but the "choose" option worked, at least as far as Google Earth goes. Hardinfo still reports unknown under open GL, but as long as the functionality is there so what? Thanks all!

playdayz

#95 Post by playdayz »

And if localization would work and actually change the menu to the language you use and not just english. Yesterday I gave a helping hand to Sc0ttman, by tranlslating some of his .mo files to danish, so it should not be impossible.

Insomniacno1, There are "language packs" in the Puppy Package Manager. If those do not work then the next step would be to use Shinobar's latest Internationalized Puppy--which oddly I cannot find at the moment.

keniv

#96 Post by keniv »

Hi All

I am also having trouble getting the correct video driver to work. When I test for the correct driver using Quickpet it recommends Xorg-High-GLX. I have downloaded and installed this. Shows up as an installed pet in "install". However here is the output of video GLX.

Tue 23 Aug 2011 Operating System: Two-Headed Dog-528 Linux 2.6.33.2
0.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 11)
oem: S3 Incorporated. M7 BIOS

X Server: Xorg Driver: savage
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (271x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: S3 Graphics Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Savage/MX/IX 20061110 x86/MMX/SSE
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 7.7.1

Pentium III (Coppermine)
Core 0: 796 MHz

Boot manager shows the "savage" driver is the is the one which is currently loaded. The Xorg-High- GLX driver is not shown as loaded or blacklisted. I have read the earlier post which suggests re-running the Xorg Video Wizard to make the changes necessary to get the driver to load but I am not sure which of the menu choices I am supposed to use. Could somebody explain to me as simply as possible what I have to do to get the correct driver to load. I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 800Mz 320MB booting from a cd with both a savefile and the sfs file on the hd. This was a clean install with a new savefile rather than an update.

Other than this problem and one with playing flash (now fixed) I am very pleased with this new Puppy. It really is very good.

Regards,

Ken.

karm2865

full install update

#97 Post by karm2865 »

Nube question time
Is there a way to update Puppy, Lucid 5.2.5 full install to Puppy, Lucid 5.2.8 full install.
short of a clean install?

bigpup

Re: full install update

#98 Post by bigpup »

karm2865 wrote:Nube question time
Is there a way to update Puppy, Lucid 5.2.5 full install to Puppy, Lucid 5.2.8 full install.
short of a clean install?
The safest way to upgrade a full install.

To upgrade burn a new CD of the newer version.
Boot with this new CD.
Use boot option (puppy pfix=ram).
Run the Puppy Universal Installer.
Select the same location for install as the Puppy you are upgrading.
Select Full Install.
Choose "upgrade", not "wipe".
No need to reinstall grub.
It will save your previous settings.
(may want to edit Grub menu.lst to change title info to newer version)
Remove CD.
Reboot computer.
Because you where running from CD it will ask if you want to make a save file.
Answer no.
At boot menu select your upgraded Puppy.
YaPI(any iso installer)

don

Re: Iron 13, Google Chrome 13, Chromium 15

#99 Post by don »

This works fine for me. It installs Chrome-13 in /opt, but it won't run by clicking on an icon in /opt, returning a message that Chrome can't be run as root. It does run when clicked in the internet menu. How can I get an icon on the desktop?

playdayz

#100 Post by playdayz »

This works fine for me. It installs Chrome-13 in /opt, but it won't run by clicking on an icon in /opt, returning a message that Chrome can't be run as root. It does run when clicked in the internet menu. How can I get an icon on the desktop?
Don, the Browse icon should run Chrome, doesn't it, unless you installed another browser afterwards. Also, you can drag the /usr/share/applications/google_chrome.desktop file onto the desktop, and then right-click and edit the name. Or you can drag the /usr/bin/google_chrome file onto the desktop.

There are some parameters included in the /usr/bin/google_chrome file that are necessary to run Chrome as root. I think the Chromium developers heard some complaints when they prevented Chrome from running as root, so they included a method to do so.