Slacko Beta 1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
zigbert

#161 Post by zigbert »

drblock2

#162 Post by drblock2 »

01micko
EDIT: Actually, you can enter the password, but just can't see it! Will explore new syntax.
Pnethood has the same problem with the invisible password.

sszindian

Slacko Beta 1

#163 Post by sszindian »

sszin‌dian wrote:

Spup-312.37 let me probe and select my screen resolution of 1440x900 in xorg, beautiful desktop!

Slacko-4.99.1 Lets me probe and select 1440x900 from list but... when it loads, it auto puts me in 'versa' instead of xorg with a resolution of 1224x1224. I select the xorg feature it suggests after that, again, probe, select 1440x900, again gives me only 1224x1224 with no 1440x900 option.

This makes the screen way to large for monitor and desktop icons (top ones) are half hid 'off screen'.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01micko wrote:

indian.. it's most likely xcb.. search PPM for it, install it restart X, It was an oversight when converting from last woof, sorry!..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copied and installed:
xcb <-- http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/slackwa ... i486-1.txz
Does not appear to make any difference, same screen problem remains?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rodin.s

new pupdial

#164 Post by rodin.s »

New pupdial works.

sfoster

X restart Problem

#165 Post by sfoster »

Hello,
I only remembered that I should submit a bug report somewhat after-the-fact, so I'm sorry for not posting this sooner. I am having a problem with regards to starting X. If I select probe at the xorg wizard window and go straight into the desktop, X will boot just fine unless I have to do a restart. If I have to restart, X will turn over, I will see the cursor for a few seconds, and my screen will dissolve into weird multicolored lines. Hitting control Alt backspace does not work, and so far I have been forced to do a hard reboot whenever this happens. If I select “test" at the resolution setup menu, the test will run just fine, but I will encounter the same problem that I do as when I have to restart X. I attempted to manually select the graphics card that I use, but I noticed that the one which I normally use doesn't appear to be in the menu anymore. I am running the latest Slacko beta version on a Dell latitude D610 laptop, 1.73 GHz, 500 megs of RAM with a Radeon mobility X300 graphics card with 64 megs of memory. In Lucid, I normally manually selected the radeonhd driver at start up. I should also mention that in previous attempts with this version of Slacko, Xvesa didn't work either. However, it normally worked on this computer in Lucid 5.25.
Yours,
--S

Jades

#166 Post by Jades »

I'm trying out Slacko on the Pentium D machine, and have found that while my Netgear WN111v2 USB wireless dongle works on a pfix=ram boot, it doesn't when booting from a pupsave. It works fine in XP and Luci/Lupu.

I've noticed that when the dongle isn't working, there are some modules not shown in the Kernel Modules screen in HardInfo:-

aes-generic
arc4
ecb
ar9170usb

These all appear to be connected with making the dongle work and the fact that they're not listed when rebooting would probably explain the non-functioning network connection.

Interestingly, there is one module listed in the pupsave boot that doesn't appear in pfix=ram - carl9170.
Attachments
nww_pfram.png
Network Wizard window on a pfix=ram boot. wlan0 is present, and wireless networking works.
(19.17 KiB) Downloaded 1081 times
nww_rbt.png
Network Wizard after booting using a pupsave. Note that there is no internet connection and wlan0 has vanished.
(21.72 KiB) Downloaded 1250 times
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

BarryK
Puppy Master

#167 Post by BarryK »

vanchutr wrote:Slacko beta 1 boot from USB-Flash (without hard disk).
(The other (new) puppy (puppies) can't. e.g midnightsun 003, snowpup 020, icepup 15, wary 513, dpup exprimo x 3).
Thank you, 01micko
(I can't boot up my computer with other puppies because there isn't a hard disk.)
Slacko beta 1 load sfs files faster than other puppies. I can connect to internet via my USB-3G modem (Huawei HPSA - E173Eu-1)
Load and run smoothly these apps : TeXlive 2010, Java u_26, Libre-Office, Lazarus - FreePascal -, KDE-K3b and Amarok. These apps were loaded with sfs_load.
Thank you again
Yep, that was fixed in Woof August 15. See:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02409
I think that 01micko is currently using Woof uploaded on Aug 17, so Slacko has the fix.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#168 Post by BarryK »

rjbrewer wrote:Slacko doesn't have the i810 driver, which is best for some Pent.
M laptops with 855gm graphics.
I don't think that we can compile that driver with any Xorg past version 7.3. That's why you have to use Wary Puppy if you want the i810 Xorg driver (Wary has Xorg 7.3).

01micko

#169 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for report Jades

That could be something to do with some of the kernel scripts, not sure. However when depmod is run it should update all modules. I'll look into it.

-

sfoster

That is an older radeon that may need "modeset =1" on the kernel line, try booting "puppy nomodest pfix=ram" or (I think) "puppy radeon modeset=1 pfix=ram" to see if that helps. My older radeon worked ootb as does my newer, I thought my older one would bork. I think forum member yarddog has an older radeon, he may tell us his experience one day soon.

-
thanks rodin.s for confirming my pupdial hack is ok

--

sszindian.. strange.. the next beta will have all the stuff 312.37 had ootb for xorg, hopefully that fixes that issue.

-

drblock2, reported to Clarf, pnethood maintainer and he is thankful of the report, I guess he'll update pnethood soon.

-

Thanks zigbert, hopefully Barry will place it in the new "common" repo for all puppy distros.

-

shino, still strange it happens with 2 pc's, I'll pop my nvidia card back in my machine and see if that is an issue. Are you using nv driver or nvidia? [even nouveau, it is in the repo](I wouldn't think that would matter but you never know)

-

Barry, yes we use woof-110817.. I always put which woof in the first post description or the first post it's self
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#170 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Lobster

Try this;

Code: Select all

Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard
Choose the first entry, click ok, do not reboot

then;in that terminal 2 variables will be echoed.

Card=0
Device=0
then you see an error

cp: cannot stat `/etc/asound.conf': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `/etc/asound.conf': No such file or directory
Ignore the error; I'll fix it later;

then; run this

# /etc/init.d/10alsa restart
that will restart alsa with correct sound parameters.. if you got 2barks at boot at pfix=ram then you will get 2 barks when you run this:

# aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav

I have to intercept running of the alsawizard. It should only be necessary with old ISA cards which were very good in their day but are rare in modern HW. (Actually they are much better than the crappy sound chips of today, for good audio these days you need to fork out the moolah).

Basically, if retrovol is running, whether you can hear it or not, alsa is running and has set up sound.

The best avenue then to pursue is either:
right clicking the retrovol icon in the tray and selecting "Full Window", check the boxes that you think are needed, then exit, hopefully things are ok (pizasgood's little proggy is effective though a little confusing)
or
Run "alsamixer" in the terminal and adjust settings with arrow keys. Be aware that some things will be switched off, There is an input source setting on many built in (to motherboard) modern sound cards that toggles whether you want surround sound or front mic or rear mic, use the arrow keys to adjust this. You may need to hit the TAB key (no, a diet cola will not be forthcoming) to see this setting.

We then need a pawdcast!
Woof has the "Sound Wizard" (Click "setup" icon on desktop, then choose "Setup ALSA Sound"), which describes simple steps to test and get sound working.
If anyone comes up with improvements in those steps, patching that file would be the best way to go (script /usr/sbin/alsawizard).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#171 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:I noticed in the German forum a chap is having trouble with pppoe. I need to get one of those modems to test for myself I think. I might link that post to here.
Yeah, pppoe problems keep coming up, never seem to get resolved. I have never used pppoe, so I have never resolved it myself. I have modified pppoe packages in accordance with feedback from testers, though I do recall a couple of times asking testers for further feedback but they had disappeared.

Anyway, hopefully someone can get on top of this problem and get pppoe working nicely.

Stripe

#172 Post by Stripe »

hi all

499.1 tested on 4 of my boxes (various nvidia graphics, 800mhz to 4 core chips 512mb to 4Gb ram) everything working great with the included nv driver.

initial sound on bootup is now constant across all 4 boxes :lol:

cant get any icons to disappear though?

multi session dvd, frugal and full installs ok on all machines

still get initial part display with abiword 2.8.6 though

hope this helps
stripe

BarryK
Puppy Master

#173 Post by BarryK »

aarf wrote:
aarf wrote:slacko b1 getting disconnects and reconnect as different sdxx on usb connected things. sometimes also happens when copy/move is in progress.
529 has it too.
this was a long ago problem that was solved previously.
01micko wrote:

aarf, I haven't had a problem with my wireless usb modem.. that's what you meant eh? Or are you mobile phone or wireless network?
no sorry, i mean my external usb storage harddrive.
have tested usb wireless N here. (failed to connect on slacko beta1 among other puppies)
havent tested my mobile phone or phone connection.
I am beginning to think that a problem with USB has crept into all recent kernels.
On my new laptop, the kernel crashes one-out-of-three times that I plug in a USB drive. I do intend to try and run the Linux kernel debugger and see if I can provide useful feedback to the kernel developers, just haven't had time to do that yet.

Note, I have tested with all Puppy daemon scripts not running, and verified that it is a pure kernel problem. The kernel does put out a segfault report to screen when it dies.

01micko

#174 Post by 01micko »

BarryK wrote:
01micko wrote:I noticed in the German forum a chap is having trouble with pppoe. I need to get one of those modems to test for myself I think. I might link that post to here.
Yeah, pppoe problems keep coming up, never seem to get resolved. I have never used pppoe, so I have never resolved it myself. I have modified pppoe packages in accordance with feedback from testers, though I do recall a couple of times asking testers for further feedback but they had disappeared.

Anyway, hopefully someone can get on top of this problem and get pppoe working nicely.
ppp-oe seems very popular in Europe and China. I don't even know if any ISP's still support it here. Does it work with adsl2+? I'll find out and if so I'll try and get hold of a modem. Wuwei was able to connect with static settings which indicates to me that maybe dhcpcd is to blame.

_
Stripe wrote:still get initial part display with abiword 2.8.6 though
Yeah.. the version in 312.37 didn't do that for me (quirky) this version (wary) does. Apparently it's fixed in 2.90 but it's not at stable release and apparently docx is broken. .. maybe use Ted? [ :lol: joking]. I rally don't want to waste time on abiword, it's almost an abandoned project with rate (or lack there of) of development.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#175 Post by Béèm »

Adsl2+ and PPPoEare not the same animals.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#176 Post by 01micko »

Béèm wrote:Adsl2+ and PPPoEare not the same animals.
Thanks Béèm,

Are you any sort of authority on these things? Reason I ask is that my ISP supports this modem. I downloaded the Specification sheet and it does mention PPPoE. I am of the feeling that PPPoE is set in the modem making connection as simple as plugging in the ethernet cable.. but I don't know enough!

EDIT: I downloaded the user guide and it says that you setup PPPoE via the browser, same as a modem/router, so I guess that kit is too modern for the purpose of testing/fixing Roaring Penguin.

Cheers

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#177 Post by Béèm »

I am in next 5.x and the zathura pdf viewer is really not user-friendly.
I tried to see the spec sheet, but wasn't successful.
But from the link you provided I see that it is a modem router with a single Ethernet port. So you cable wire the PC to this modem. Unless you have another router or switch you can't connect another PC then.
Normally the modem is setup (by the ISP) to be in connection with your ISP, like a PPPoE modem is. (through userid and password). But you are in ADSL+. So as soon as the modem is powered on, your connection is made already.

So all you have to do then is to run the internet connection wizard and select DHCP to get the IP for your network device. And you should be connected to the internet.

My ISP gave me a ADSL router/modem with WiFi and 4 Ethernet ports.
My 2 PC are connected through WiFi. One of the Ethernet ports of the router is a high speed one and is used for TV over Internet via the ADSL line.

HTH
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#178 Post by Lobster »

01micko wrote:
Lobster

Try this;
Code:
Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard . . .

. . . most text deleted
Been rereading and rereading
and trying to make sense of this.
Setting up sound works.
If you change settings for sound
restarting x will introduce the changes.

. . . however to activate the changes made to the mic I have to reboot Puppy.

This necessity to reboot may go back
as far as the introduction of ALSA

Basically I don't reboot, unless told specifically to do so. :oops:

Thanks guys for your patience.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#179 Post by Lobster »

Seamonkey proving reliable. :)
More plug ins being upgraded - at the moment many are not yet available for Seamonkey 2.3 - for example 'Stumbleupon'.

Day to day use of Slacko going OK.
Using the Xaralx from
http://portablelinuxapps.org/
Installing Puppy to USB with the wizard, Mtpaint etc . . .
all going OK
Getflash as a wizard is a good idea
most will just install when the browser first needs Flash . . .

Will not make extensive use of PPM until beta 2
and the new woof PPM changes . . .

No problems with JWM

One thing I have to always think about.
If a hard drive or partition is activated
a red cross appears in the top right.
In my mind this means it is not working/workable.
A green or even black dot might be more comprehensible?
This is for the stardust icon set not sure of others but it has
changed recently . . .
The firewall icon (bottom right) makes more sense.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bigpup

#180 Post by bigpup »

Was wondering if Slacko will be addressing the problem of having more than 3.5GB of ram?
As discussed here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67707
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)