Browserlinux 501

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
maans

#41 Post by maans »

Hi puppymartin
Thank you for taking the time to answer - I see that it's the same procedure described in the post I referred to..
I did that, just after having removed the webERP installation - and I think there must have been some conflict because of that...
puppymartin wrote:Hi Maans,
Monkey works with Browserlinux.
Oh yes :D - I just tried from a new session (not contaminated with empty directories from my earlier install of webERP) - and it runs just fine :-)
----
Should I change the port from :80 to sth else to be able to access it from another pc on the network??
Should I put some scripts into the Startup folder to make services run when starting X ?

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

maans

#42 Post by maans »

Hi again
Where should/can I set the password for http://localhost/php/adminer.php ??

I tried to run a php script which creates a .htacces file from http://127.0.1TiddlyHome/_th/lib/Htpasswd.php
however I get following error:

Code: Select all

Warning: fopen(.htpasswd): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /root/monkey_webserver/www/TiddlyHome/_th/lib/Htpasswd.php on line 75
Can't open '.htpasswd' for writing
I guess its just a matter of setting the permissions right... How do I accomplish this? In Puppy I don't find permissionsettings which resembles those I know from using Ftp - can I set a number, somehow? - Should I be able to open files via a ftp-client and set permissions there?

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

l2ulinux

BrowserLinux

#43 Post by l2ulinux »

There is a problem when you boot BrowserLinux are one of the releases based on it. It will over write many of the newer releases if installed by frugal are full on you HD. I to had the same problem and all you have to do is hit the F2-Key and then type puppy pfix=ram to save my any installs.

maans

#44 Post by maans »

maans wrote: I guess its just a matter of setting the permissions right... How do I accomplish this?
Ok I found out that I should use properties instead - Now my TiddlyHome is working...
Is there any chance that I can set it up as a simple html server on my local network - or any local network..
Do I have to set a static IP (if - how?) -
port 80 - should I change that to sth else?
Is there any chance that I could have ftpaccess via local network - or should I take a different route when it comes to filesharing?

Sorry if my questions are too basic - I DO surf for answers as well...

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

c7jaff

#45 Post by c7jaff »

I tried BrowserLinux 401 and 366 v2 w/o ffx but they won't boot completely on my old and new NON-eee laptops. (I'll try w/chrome - browserlinuxCL11.iso next) They do boot on my new Desktop with no problems. Standard Puppy 511 has booted perfectly on all 3 in the past and now. I get this message:
Searching for puppy files in computer disk drives..."lupu-510.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#_

lupu-510.sfs is there. I tried different puppy flags like pfix=ram and pmedia=usb, acpi, etc after hitting F2 on bootup. I also tried this:
Bootproblems...?
Try this:
- boot computer and wait for the UNetbootin screen
- choose 'browserlinux' or 'puppy'
- Press [Tab]
- change 'pmedia=cd' to 'pmedia=usb pfix=ram'

If you keep using USB drive as a "Live OS" (no installation): edit the "syslinux.cfg" on the USB drive and change the last line: 'pmedia=cd' to 'pmedia=usb')
I also edited "isolinux.cfg" to match "syslinux.cfg". I've only seen such an error when I PXE booted without creating the humongous file. I also tried installing via Unetbootin on those laptops as well as from the desktops but no difference. All 3 had Unetbootin loaded on Ubuntu. Please help. I'd really like to get this working on the laptops. Thanks.

Update: The above occurred when using ImageMate II SanDisk USB-connected Compact Flash reader. When I used a 'pure' USB drive the problem stopped. However, I'd still like to use USB-connected Compact Flash reader.

kros54

perhaps a solution?

#46 Post by kros54 »

I experienced a similar problem several times.
I think the two are not related to each other possible causes.
1. The pupremaster.sh (or remasterpup, remasterpup2, and the other) incorrectly creates a file format. The files should be scanning for example: lupu_510.sfs and it is not, but this lupu-510.sfs
Solution: you must rename the file.
2. Not sure if that is good for: pmedia =usb
Solution: usb drive name instead of the other should be used.
hard disk drive, the correct answer: pmedia=cd instead of pmedia=atahd

c7jaff

#47 Post by c7jaff »

Thanks, I recall in a mknetboot.sh script in the past I had to edit lupu-511.sfs to lupu_511.sfs. Another time I had to point to an upper case version of initrd.gz when I used a Windows-created live puppy CD.

I tried combinations of the solutions but they didn't work for me. Still trying though. I ultimately placed a 2nd copy of lupu-510.sfs on the USB drive and named it lupu_510.sfs. I had both on there but no luck. For now the USB-only drives work (I'm using this solution) and not the USB ImageMate that reads CF cards.

RHubert787

Changing Desktop / Background / Wallpaper on BrowserLinux

#48 Post by RHubert787 »

Hi, I am new to BrowserLinux(and Linux in General) and am enjoying it very much. (BrowserLinux401)

I know BrowserLinux is designed for strictly quick websurfing/working. but i was wondering if its possible to modify the desktop at all? I read earlier in the thread about editing icons on the desktop. But I was wondering more about changing the background/wallpaper. BrowserLinux does not seem to have these options out in the open like full puppy.

Thank you so much!

EDIT: So far I've realized that right-clicking an icon will let you open the image-drop background tool. also right clicking an image file while in the file manager will do it. Hope this helps somebody!

c7jaff

#49 Post by c7jaff »

AppStarter is a nice signature feature I like about BrowserLinux. I don't like right-clicking to open it though. I like it obvious and ready to click. So, I placed AppStarter in the startup folder so it's open upon boot up:

Using 2 windows: Dragged "AppStarter" file from /root/my-applications/bin/AppStarter to /root/Startup/AppStarter. A dialog asked a question and I most likely chose "relative". That left a shortcut/link named "AppStarter" in the startup folder. That was it. I rebooted and now it's always open when I boot up.

Volhout

Gnome Mplayer

#50 Post by Volhout »

Installed 401 on a USB stick using Unetbootin. Installed Mplayer from the browserlinux website. It shows up in "more apps" but won't start . When I throw a avi on it, it won't start.

What's wrong ?

puppymartin

Re: Gnome Mplayer

#51 Post by puppymartin »

Volhout wrote:Installed 401 on a USB stick using Unetbootin. Installed Mplayer from the browserlinux website. It shows up in "more apps" but won't start . When I throw a avi on it, it won't start.

What's wrong ?
Install this small file: http://browserlinux.com/software/libnotify.pet
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58960][b][color=black]Browserlinux[/color][/b] 401[/url] | [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60718][b][color=black]MijnPup[/color][/b]: LibreOffice and Firefox 4[/url]

puppymartin

#52 Post by puppymartin »

New version: Browserlinux 501

It is an updated 401:
- Firefox 5.0.1
- Flash 10.3

Download: http://browserlinux.com/
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58960][b][color=black]Browserlinux[/color][/b] 401[/url] | [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60718][b][color=black]MijnPup[/color][/b]: LibreOffice and Firefox 4[/url]

laika

#53 Post by laika »

puppymartin wrote:New version: Browserlinux 501
So nice. Absolutely love that AppStarter. Unfortunately, like 401, I can't connect to the internet through my DSL modem on the desktop."Failed to negotiate with DHCP..." problem again.

BL366 connects wirelessly on my Eee PC with no problem. Maybe I'll try 501 on it. It's a jewel of puplet.

P123

#54 Post by P123 »

puppymartin wrote:New version: Browserlinux 501

It is an updated 401:
- Firefox 5.0.1
- Flash 10.3

Download: http://browserlinux.com/
Downloading now.

Will MijnPup be upgraded soon? Or are you waiting for feedback on this first?

maccowley

Printing

#55 Post by maccowley »

HI,

I was looking for a small easy to use Internet kiosk and tried Browserlinux. It is almost the perfect solution for me. There are two issues only:

1. I need the possibility to print, but I think CUPS isn't installed. http://localhost:631 isn't working. Is there a way to add this?
2. I would like to have the option to set a timeout to reset the browser after some minutes of inactivity. Will this be possible?

Thanks for that great Puppy Linux.

maccowley

P123

#56 Post by P123 »

I have tried to install F-prot but when I look at the more apps list it is not listed?

puppymartin

#57 Post by puppymartin »

> P123
> Will MijnPup be upgraded soon? Or are you waiting for feedback on this first?

Maybe I make a new Mijnpup, but not soon :? I don't have much time to play with the puppies

> maccowley
> I need the possibility to print, but I think CUPS isn't installed

No CUPS in Browserlinux. But there are CUPS-pets on this forum.

> maccowley
> I would like to have the option to set a timeout to reset the browser after some minutes of inactivity. Will this be possible?

I cannot help you, sorry

> P123
> I have tried to install F-prot but when I look at the more apps list it is not listed?

Which version/PET did you use?

P123

#58 Post by P123 »

The problem was with the latest F-prot (6) from the lucid repo, so I tried an older one from the 4 series repo (XFprot) in the puppy package manager & that appears in the list. I haven't test it properly to confirm that it works properly but at least it is in the list.

I upgraded Firefox to 6.0 without any problem.

I could not download Opera from your website on this occasion. I have been able to before & it worked properly.

One other problem I download the gnome games, some work & others do not. I haven't check the forum to see if this is a common problem yet, but I will later.

KANECO

PXE Boot

#59 Post by KANECO »

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me if is possible to use this distro or the other one with chrome browser on a pxe boot environment?

If yes can you please tell me how to configure the syslinux.cfg file in order to boot from a pxe environment, if possible can you please tell me if there was any way to costume the boot to set the default language keyboard map and the default start web page or to set the browser to full screen by default.

Best regards

darkcity

#60 Post by darkcity »

what is the pxe boot environment?

you can set the default keyboard layout and get browser to open on a page of your choice, two ways-

create a save file

or

create a remastered version pup