usb mouse not recognized at boot after modem-modprobe_fix

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Robotop

usb mouse not recognized at boot after modem-modprobe_fix

#1 Post by Robotop »

Hello, I'm using Puppy 4.3.1 on Alix-1D motherboard. I decided to install the modem-modprobe_fix_pack_to_43x-lupu5x-20110702.pet for using USB 3G modem. All worked fine, but the usb mouse is no more recognized at boot. I have to detach and then reinsert the USB connector in the socket to have it working. I suppose the necessary modules have been loaded, 'cause the mouse works just detaching and reconnecting to USB (hot plug).
Any suggestion to make it work at boot ?
Due to limited hardware resources I used the "old" kernel version 2.6.21.7 and Xvesa, not Xorg.
Thank you in advance...
Last edited by Robotop on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Not sure if this is where it is in Puppy 4.3.1.
menu->setup->mouse/keyboard wizard

Have you tried resetting the mouse interface type?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Robotop

#3 Post by Robotop »

Hello, thanks for your suggestion. It was my first try, but no success. That wizard only sets minor things, like buttons wheel etc. Note that the mouse was perfectly working before the modem fix install. I've also noticed that the usbmouse is in the modules blacklist now and this comes from initialization script ; but, even removing the device from the modules exclusion list doesn't changes the situation (tried also to force the usbmodem module load)... I repeat myself, I'm sure that the module is loaded, but there must be some lock that ignores the device at boot time. Any help will be appreciated, thanks !

Dave_G

#4 Post by Dave_G »

Hello robotop,
A silly question, have you tried another usb port?
I have had this behaviour before with other software
and changing ports helped.
Give it a try, you never know.

Robotop

#5 Post by Robotop »

Thank you, Dave. I tried booting with the USB mouse connected to another port, but no success. I think there must be some activity that's not started until an hot connection of the peripheral, but haven't enough experience on Linux to solve by myself...so, still wait for the magic trick :-)

Dave_G

#6 Post by Dave_G »

ok, it was worth a try.
I am on vacation at the moment so I don't
have my puppy pc with me but when I get back
I can compile you an executable that can simulate
some activity on the usb port, perhaps that will do
the trick.
In the meantime why not download an app called
usbview if I remember correctly, which will show you
what is connected to your usb ports, might give you
more insight as to what the problem may be.

Robotop

#7 Post by Robotop »

Hello Dave, the usbview shows the mouse (after the detach-reinsert operation) and indicates it's handled by the usbhid module. In fact, in the MODULECONFIG, the usbmouse and usbkbd are forced to be disabled, due to presence of running usbhid. This problem looks like an interrupt that's not enabled until the hot plug operation. So, the "driver" is running, but the "interrupts" coming from mouse movements are disabled. When you detach/insert the usb connector, something happens and such "interrupts" are enabled. I tried to change the mouse type from usb-ps2 to serial and then back again to usb, but nothing happened, always the same behaviour. Tried also to switch from Xvesa to Xorg and then back again to Xvesa. All the same. My next experiment will be to reinstall the original puppy4.3.1 on an identical motherboard and look for the differencies from this "updated" version with the modem fix. Hope someone has a solution better than this last one :-)

Dave_G

#8 Post by Dave_G »

ok, now we have more info.
I have always found usbview very usefull for things like this.
Good idea trying 4.3.1, infact it's the best of all puppies
in my opinion.
Another thought, do you have usb legacy emulation on
or off in bios?
I know in theory it should make no diffs but one never knows especially with certain
mobos such as the DP410 from intel which have a rather strange bios.

Robotop

#9 Post by Robotop »

Hello, sorry for the delay, but here in Italy it's too hot to work with computers...
Ok, obviously, the USB legacy is enabled ; the most important thing is that BEFORE the installation of modem_fix_etc package, all was working fine. Now, I have a fresh installation of Puppy 4.3.1 on a machine, and the upgraded modem_fix on another. With a little bit of patience, may be I can discover what's the difference and what the reason for mouse not recognized at boot. I will be back here with the solution...(I hope so :-)

Robotop

solved

#10 Post by Robotop »

Hello, here is the solution. In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit look for:

Code: Select all

#v423 k2.6.29.6 dmesg has warning that ehci-hcd should load before uhci-hcd and ohci-hid
 # this is contrary to my understanding all these years, but oh well, let's do it...
 ELSPCI="`elspci -l`" #jesses great little utility.
 [ "`echo "$ELSPCI" | grep '0C0320'`" != "" ] && modprobe ehci-hcd
and simply modify last row with this:

Code: Select all

[ "`echo "$ELSPCI" | grep '0C0320'`" != "" ] && modprobe --config ehci-hcd
Now, the usb mouse works at boot without needing for hot plug. :mrgreen:

Dave_G

#11 Post by Dave_G »

Good, nicely done.