Wary Puppy 5.1.4 - 29 August 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
rjbrewer

#261 Post by rjbrewer »

Nathans wallpaper has been extremely reliable, but the simplicity
and ease of use of Pwallpaper is too good to pass up, IMO.
Attachments
background.jpg
(176.38 KiB) Downloaded 1338 times

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Ray MK

#262 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Great new Puppy - all seems good and BK is right re:
Seamonkey on low resource units, later versions are resource hogs. (FireFox - forget it)

Two small minor gremlins noticed -

1)No woof-woof on startup and
2)SNS not working for wifi -

(2 has been the case since around Wary511 on all recent woof builds)

Network Wizard is ok and works on all woof builds.

Frisbee seems ok too.

Thank you again Barry for all you do - I read your blog daily.
Your efforts are much appreciated, as are the efforts of all who help
to make Puppy by far, the best OS in the world.

Very best regards and God bless.

peebee

#263 Post by peebee »

smokey01 wrote:Try renaming it. Maybe it doesn't like all of those capital letters.

Who knows, maybe it will provide a clue.
SOLVED!
It was the file name....
Apparently any files with names starting ORIGINAL- are ignored - probably because the files in /usr/share/backgrounds_original have names in that format.

Very sorry that I caused confusion - but it is a strange "feature" of Pwallpaper....

Cheers
PeeBee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

cthisbear

#264 Post by cthisbear »

A great release but has the same flaw as before.

I invite any Aussie ANZ customer to log into their account.

Zero...zilch...pita....it hangs.

No amount of tweaking Flashblock beats it.

I invite comments on this ANZ pain.

Can someone post a link to a browser Pet alternative.
That actually installs...and works.

However I got an N150 wireless dongle to work,
where Lucid could not.

Chris.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: [SOLVED]

#265 Post by BarryK »

peebee wrote:
Sage wrote: Both rjbrewer and I have no problems with Pwallpaper - both recorded above. Lack of response from peebee might be due to a local issue? Nathan/Pwall - as long as it works...
Here for the interest of sage and rjbrewer is a screen shot showing my Pwallpaper problem.

As you can see I have copied a background called ORIGINAL-Third.jpg into /usr/share/backgrounds and then opened Pwallpaper where this file is nowhere to be seen............

Cheers
peebee
That's your problem do not use any name with "ORIGINAL" in it!

Pwallpaper screens out any image with "ORIGINAL" in it, as that is used to designate image that have not been cropped for widescreen use.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

gcmartin

Re: Wary Puppy 5.1.3

#266 Post by gcmartin »

Billtoo wrote:I used the latest woof (aug 15th) to build wary 513 and the only
change I made was to use the 2.6.39.3 PAE kernel.
It is working great,feels unbreakable.
Tue 16 Aug 2011 Operating System: Wary Puppy-5.1.3 Linux 2.6.39
Great news from @BillToo. Maybe there's a way to send your ISO to Barry to post along side his WARY. For those who may be unaware, the performance measurement testing in this forum community of 4GB systems with Puppies running kernels without PAE and with PAE has proven to show "no negative impact". In fact, most testers have reported seemingly snappier desktop performance.

Beware, that the tests I am familiar with are on PCs that have been built after 2005. There is also one community member report that he has a particular Intel that does NOT support PAE. PAE is a CPU hardware feature designed to enable 32bit CPUs to address all RAM from 64MB to 64GB without the need to switch kernels.

I would like to have a 32bit Official WARY ISO for my 4GB RAM PCs, too. Maybe yours is available for test somewhere. So far, my test show DRAKE is the only official distro which runs on all PCs up to 64GB without the need to change kernels. (Its important to note that Barry has mentioned future plans in this area for 32bit PC users.)

Thanks, though, for the welcome news.

smokey01

#267 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin have you tried midnightsunpup-003 by pemasu?

Ray MK

#268 Post by Ray MK »

Hi again

Just a small note to say that SNS works with wifi in wary512.

So it looks like from 5.1.2.3 onwards it stopped working.
Deff. no go in 5.1.2.7

Hope that helps somewhat - thank you again - Ray

rjbrewer

#269 Post by rjbrewer »

Ray MK wrote:Hi again

Just a small note to say that SNS works with wifi in wary512.

So it looks like from 5.1.2.3 onwards it stopped working.
Deff. no go in 5.1.2.7

Hope that helps somewhat - thank you again - Ray
Sns works okay with my systems.

I don't use it though, as I have a few extra routers working as
access points around the property and sns doesn't show the
Mac address of the different routers.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

James C

#270 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote:
Billtoo wrote:I used the latest woof (aug 15th) to build wary 513 and the only
change I made was to use the 2.6.39.3 PAE kernel.
It is working great,feels unbreakable.
Tue 16 Aug 2011 Operating System: Wary Puppy-5.1.3 Linux 2.6.39
Great news from @BillToo. Maybe there's a way to send your ISO to Barry to post along side his WARY. For those who may be unaware, the performance measurement testing in this forum community of 4GB systems with Puppies running kernels without PAE and with PAE has proven to show "no negative impact". In fact, most testers have reported seemingly snappier desktop performance.

Beware, that the tests I am familiar with are on PCs that have been built after 2005. There is also one community member report that he has a particular Intel that does NOT support PAE. PAE is a CPU hardware feature designed to enable 32bit CPUs to address all RAM from 64MB to 64GB without the need to switch kernels.

I would like to have a 32bit Official WARY ISO for my 4GB RAM PCs, too. Maybe yours is available for test somewhere. So far, my test show DRAKE is the only official distro which runs on all PCs up to 64GB without the need to change kernels. (Its important to note that Barry has mentioned future plans in this area for 32bit PC users.)

Thanks, though, for the welcome news.
Linus Torvalds on PAE kernels.......

http://blog.linuxolution.org/archives/117

PAE really really sucks.

The biggest single reason to go 64-bit is exactly because of physical address space. Your virtual address space
needs to bea multiple of the physical one: when you hit 1GB of RAM, 32-bit virtual memory is no longer acceptable. You literally do need more virtual memory than physical.

PAE turned that very simple fact on its head, and screwed things up royally. Whoever came up with the idea was totally incompetent, and had forgotten all the DOS HIGHMEM pains. There’s a damn good reason why we left the 286 behind, and started using 386′s, instead of having HIGHMEM crap with windows into a bigger physical space.

Repeat after me:

Virtual space needs to be bigger than physical space. Not “as big

smokey01

#271 Post by smokey01 »

Wow, I wonder how he really feels :wink:

RIZARDOUZ7

#272 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

@Barry I installed 5.1.3 and it was able to detect on probe the ideal resolution for my radeon x1200 which are 1366x768 @16 and @24. However, when choosing any resolution, xorg is able to load successfully but on 800x600 only, I can't even change the resolution to a higher one, I tried editing the xorg file and saw that it's written there the selected res which is 1366x768 however it loads a res of 800x600 instead.

So I have no choice but to go back to 5.1.2.

Also, a noob question, is there a way to update puppy to a newer version manually? Like if I was using 5.1.2, is there an option to patch it to 5.1.3? so that I will still have my previous settings and apps.

Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version (KJV)

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jQQKa.gif[/img]

gcmartin

#273 Post by gcmartin »

On PAE, I am IN TOTAL AGREEMENT WITH TOVALDS!

And what he share is NOT TO BE MISINTERPRETED OR TWISTED!

He shares the behavior of the system when you attempt to compare it against 64bit operations.mode. He goes on to share that 32bit operations do NOT account properly especially on 64bit hardware (this is implied as he talks about the virtual to real design).

I have for years shared that NO ONE should be running a 32bit OS in production mode on 64bit hardware!!! Let it be said that,even though I do not command the respect of a Tovalds, the 32bit design model for PCs does NOT compare to the 64bit design model, the 64bit potential, and the 64bit operations for stability.

And I agree with Tovalds that the "naysayers" who continue to suggest the 32bit Linux in PAE mode somehow makes a better OS in operations should 'SHUT UP!" If you have a 64bit PC, run it in 64bit mode using a 64bit OS (unless you have a required application that you cannot get to run in the 64bit OS).

DIFFERENT TOPIC
The work of BillToo is very good work for all of us who have 32bit PCs more or less than 3.5GB+ memory on our systems. This allows Puppy to use all memory found as part of the running filesystem. (And, as far as I know, no one discussing PAE has said anything about using PAE to avoid running a 64bit PC in its native mode.). Further, based upon some of the work I've seen from Barry, I believe if he had the time, he would have given us a PAE version as well. So far, comparing performance in 32bit environments, we have not discovered any downside in system behavior ,while at the same time, experiencing its singlemost benefit.

BillToo's work, simply, means that if you put a 32bit PC into production on a desktop and you happen to expand the memory on that PC, you can be assured that the OS will discover and use ALL of the PC's memory no matter what amount is there without having to change my WARY OS (assuming its less than 64GB <== who can do this anyhow?). His WARY will run on all 32bit PCs. If Barry's WARY runs on it, you can expect that the WARY he offers will run also - just giving an added benefit of using all the PCs memory.

Thanks again BillToo.

Billtoo

Wary Puppy 5.1.3

#274 Post by Billtoo »

All I did was to use Barry's 2.6.39.3 pae kernel when I used woof.
You choose the kernel as the second last step in woof, just before
the build distro step.
Anyone with a high speed connection and a few hours to spare can do it.

It allowed me to use wary on my new computer and it's working well,no
problems at all so far with it, so I intend to keep using it :)

`f00

#275 Post by `f00 »

'n00B question'
@RIZARDOUZ7 - For liveCD multisession, a convenient way to upgrade is to save the current working w512 session on reboot to a freshly burned w513 liveCD multisession disc, also known as 'discswap-upgrade'. It usually makes two savedirs on the fresh disc and also backs some perhaps conflicting data to a /tmp/* directory for checking (as noted in the boot messages) in the rebooted-to session if I recall correctly. Good idea to check if you have modified wary much (overwrite the 'default' files and so on as needed/desired).

That's only for multisession disc, however (my usual 'install' method). There may be other ways to upgrade different types of install..

thanks, Billtoo (if I ever get beyond dialup and 32bit, that's good work done :) )

______addenda 110821 (w512 to w513)______

The 'swapdisc-upgrade' from w512 to w513 isn't quite the same as I recall, there is now no upgrade-'backup' dir in /tmp of possibly conflicting files to defaults and such so some personal changes may have to be manually redone. Only a very few boot-messages (network drivers was the only specific mention).

A few games out of 513 (sdl stuff) - no biggie, but those libs are needed by some other games.. and the iso is still at 120mb? Not a complaint since my 1st 'upgrade' savedir from w512 is just a tad larger all by itself ;) New apps - urxvtset very odd for me (window too wide, doesn't resize .. sets hex in 12 character? glad I had a backup), defaults-chooser quite good (user-friendly) and pmusic_CD (by the way, the exec cmd in the dotdesktop file has a space on the end) seems a nicer alternative to pcd.

The png-overlay deal isn't flying on my setup (just as well since I prefer the older style, an icon-switchtheme changes the plain/mounted/boot different looks of driveicons to all same 'plain' for 48s..). Annoying 'auto'-eject of disc-tray on unmount of optical media - to be sure, it's somewhat of a personal preference.

:lol: after a day of redo stuff, I got bungled on reboot (seemed non-responsive to kybd cmd except F1 and unfortunately I tabbed .. not obvious on the display, no visual feedback, typical rookie panic mistake!). Oh well, it's not that hard to do it all again :)

______addenda 110906 (w513 to w514)______

disc-swap upgrade from w513 went well, about the same personal mods had to be redone (.xinitrc, pmount, fixmenus as well as a few images) - somehow these personal mods don't carry over in the 'initial' run with the two savedirs.

kernel is designated as 2.6.32-smp in conky now.

Spit - the 3rd savedir didn't seem to 'layer in' with redone personal mods (even though it loaded on boot-message sequence) on reboot/save. Boot-message gave 'updating' from 513 to 514 (again) - on getting to desktop, got same unwanted roxpin and lxpanel loaded (for my preferences, these are *on-demand* loads). Somewhat disheartening to continue on with w514 for me if it continually undoes my mods (.xinitrc, pmount, fixmenus and so on) as an 'updating' feature .. perhaps a direct edit rather than a simple replacement of those files may help the basics to work as expected?

.. ok, the updating was in the bootmessage but far simpler (and no 513 to 514 specified, so the direct edits must have done the trick finally - likely pmount as it seemed a bit more changed for gtkdialog3). Also seems more responsive/leaner-running now.

vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used, but also RV280 (switched off in BIOS - aka Radeon 9200SE), PCI (old-style)
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCD multisession (cd-rw media), swapdisc upgrade from w512
limitations - no printer, no internet connection
Last edited by `f00 on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.

mcewanw

fido has no permission to write to /tmp

#276 Post by mcewanw »

Just quickly tried Wary 5.1.3 without a save file.

Opened a console and entered: su - fido

Then tried: touch /tmp/testfile

but came back with error message saying fido didn't have permission to write to /tmp, which would break a number of apps if running them as fido.

As I say, it was a very quick tryout; perhaps I missed something...

One thing I do wish anyway is that fido's home directory was /home/fido rather than /root
github mcewanw

rodin.s

remasterpup2 and pshedule

#277 Post by rodin.s »

/usr/sbin/remasterpup2 doesn't work. I used mounted iso-file.
I commented out latest bugfix:

Code: Select all

#110808 PANZERKOPF: bug fix.
(lines 410, 411 are involved) and now it works.
Also localization in pshedule doesn't work. Zigbert fixed it. It needs to be updated.

Insomniacno1

#278 Post by Insomniacno1 »

BarryK wrote:Wary 5.1.1.53 is the first beta for the upcoming 5.1.2.
See my blog announcement and brief release notes:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02263

There are some interesting features in this release. Bug reports and general feedback welcome. Anyone who feels inspired to work on 'fido' or 'spot', you are most welcome!

Note, I got fido basically going, but want to move onto other things. So, anyone who likes the idea of fido and knows something about running Unix/Linux non-root, you are invited to hack on fido. See my blog for posts about the implementation of fido.

UPDATE: Wary 5.1.1.56, May 13, 2011

See blog announcement:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02285

Discussion of 5.1.1.56 starts on page 3.

UPDATE: Wary 5.1.1.57, May 19, 2011

See blog announcement:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02299

Discussion of 5.1.1.57 begins on page 6 of this thread.

UPDATE: Wary 5.1.2 final released, May 25, 2011

See blog announcement:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02304

Discussion of 5.1.2 begins on page 7 of this thread.

UPDATE: Wary 5.1.2.7 (5.1.3 beta), August 9, 2011

See blog announcement:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02390

Discussion starts on page 13 of this thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 480#551480

UPDATE: Wary 5.1.3, August 13, 2011

See blog announcement:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02399

Discussion starts on page 15 of this forum thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 712#552712
Hi Barry, I love wary 5.1.3 but some notes that you can fix at any time you like:

The new 5.1.3 has a problem that seems go again in various puppy versions - I have seen it in 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 and some retro.

When launching the Universal Installer it cant find the files on the CD - it will only find them if you manually mount the CD drive, before running the Universal Installer. This is not a probleme for you or me, but it will be for someone new to puppy.

Something else, I think you should make common libs available on your site, since there is allot missing in Wary. I have gathered all the libs I found missing in Puppy 4.2.1 - more than 146MB - and copied them to /usr/lib but that only helps for a few apps. The message about missing libs keep comming when installing various apps from PPM.

Of course you can go online and download RPM files for Red Hat or fedora, extract them and copy them into /usr/lib but it would be a bit easier for new users to install a PET.

A third thing Xorg_xorg_base and Xorg_xorg_servers is not in the repo for Wary 5 in PPM. Neither is xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet. There are only the ones for Intel - not so helpful when you have ATI or nVidia videocard:)

Also I get an anoying dependcy message that sqlite3 is missing, though sqlite 3.7xxx is installed. This came after installing Firefox 4.01 and Qt4.

Besides that everything works fine.

With kind regards

Jan

PANZERKOPF

Re: remasterpup2 and pshedule

#279 Post by PANZERKOPF »

rodin.s wrote:/usr/sbin/remasterpup2 doesn't work. I used mounted iso-file.
I commented out latest bugfix:
Weird...
That fix has been made for solving a problem with remastering (when iso file is mounted).
Maybe something was changed in this version? I haven't yet tested latest Wary.
SUUM CUIQUE.

rodin.s

remasterpup2

#280 Post by rodin.s »

Program just exits after I choose loop device of mounted iso-file in dialog box. But with old line everything works and I have made iso-file.