Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 09:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Seeing Dog Puppy for Blind
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 47 of 49 [729 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
Trobin

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug 2011, 23:21    Post subject:  

The Start of Wary-Browse-pup

1. Fresh install of Warytiny511.iso
2. Install Foksyfeyercore-1.0.0-1.pet
This installs Edbrowse, VI, SC, Lynx.

Edbrowse is chiefly the program I wanted, but the rest will be useful.

Once Foksyfeyercore has been installed open a terminal window. Run the command ifoksy.

Reboot

Open a terminal and run the command foksy.

From the menu select ‘I’ for internet. Mcewanw set Edbrowse to be used for the internet. Since this will be the first time running Edbrowse, there will be a chance to create the ~/root/.ebrc configuration file.
Notes.

Mcwanw’s Foksyfeyer-1.0.0-1 pet file appears to install correctly in Wary 5.11. I haven’t tested all of the features but if everything works, then there is a powerful marriage between X and speech. I don’t know if any copy can be downloaded anywhere since Caneri’s repository went down.

There is some excellent posts on using Edbrowse on pages 15 to 27 of this thread.

Also
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=962357416&t=26393

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1900465809&t=26184

Wary Tiny is based on Wary 5.11

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=526598632&t=68284

Trobin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug 2011, 02:32    Post subject:  

When this gets to iso stage, Wary-tiny will boot directly to Edbrowse. Foksy will still be there but will have to be accessed by typing the command !foksy. Note the quotation mark. Which tells Edbrowser that you wish to run a cli program.
Trobin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug 2011, 20:44    Post subject:  

~/.ebrc is the configuration file for Edbrowse. If you are using Edbrowse for the very fist time, using Mcewanw’s Foksfeyercore, you will have an opportunity to set it up before running Edbrowse.

Default settings can be used until you reach the following section:
Quote:
# autosetup 3
# Mail accounts.
# These are the direct mail accounts, web based email is not needed here.

mail {
inserver = mail.
outserver = mail.
inport = 110
outport = 25
login =
password =
from =
reply =
}

Which is where you enter the information needed for Edbrowse to send and receive mail to and from a pop3 mail account.

I use web mail so skipped that section.

~/.ebrc is also where you enter functions, or scripts, containing Edbrowse commands, allowing one to do various things.

Functions that come sytandard with Edbrowse

A function to add bookmarks
A function to read last spam

You can also add your own functions and users have added the following.

A function to access wikepedia
A function to use Google

Mcewanw has added the following functions.

A function for BBC News
A function for logging into Murga Puppy Linux forum.
A function to search for a keyword in the Murga Puppy Linux forums, after logging in.
A function to search for a post author in Murga Puppy Forum
A function to allow one to return to the Index of Murga Puppy Linux Forum
A function to post a reply to Murga Puppy Linux Forum

A good write up on these functions can be found in this thread.

The ~/.ebrc can be edited with a text editer.

Or, from within edbrowse by entering the command “!edbrowse -c” This actually opens up another copy of edbrowse and loads the ~].ebrc into Edbrowse. You will see the number 5xxx. The lines are numbered amd “1,10” will display the first ten lines. “49,62” dispalys the relevant lines for the mail function, unless you chose not to enter any information.

Trobin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 02:07    Post subject:  

Unless you are familiar with text editing with Edbrowse, it might be better to edit the ~/.ebrc file by opening it up in a text editer. From withing Edbrowse, the command “!vi .ebrc” will open the vi text editer and load the ~/.ebrc file for editing.
Trobin

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 02:16    Post subject:  

Okay, hopefully no one minds my rambling here. Don’t know if anyones actually reading this anyway.

Some internet stuff from within Edbrowse

To connect to www.puppylinux.com from within Edbroswe the command is
“B http://www.puppylinux.com/”

If the connection is down Edbrowse will report that it can not open the site.

The command “!ifconfig eth0 up” will connect via ethernet

So Let’s try it again
Quote:
b http://www.puppylinux.com/

The numbers indicate that the connexction has been made. To display the information you need to tell Edbrowse what lines to display or print
Quote:
1,10p
{Home}
{info}
{tech}
{Home, page}
{Genie}

Logo
| | LATEST VERSIONS {Lucid 5.2.5}
{Wary 5.1.3}

Anything within { } is a link to another page.

A trial of a couple of Mcewanw’s functions

To login to Murga’s Puppy Linux Forums

Quote:
edbrowse ready
<mflogin Trobin
attempting m f login entry
ok
Username: |<>
Username: |<Trobin>

ok
<mfpassword -------
attempting m f password entry
ok
Password: |<>
Password: |<------->
submitting form
Enter z to page down
ok

{Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index} |Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy home page: puppylinux.com
etc.

Yep, they still work

mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 05:29    Post subject: foksyfeyercore-1.0.0-1.pet
Subject description: I've put a copy on the web

Trobin wrote:
I don’t know if any copy [of foksyfeyercore-1.0.0-1.pet] can be downloaded anywhere since Caneri’s repository went down

Since Caneri's site is now gone, I've uploaded a copy to the web. Access link to the new download location is given on Foksyf Eye R murga forum thread first post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=172879

I used to have a copy that worked on Ubuntu too, but I can't find my original files at the moment. If you have a copy of the whole lot that would be handy (I'd store them at the same linked website). I'll keep looking for the rest anyway. I've been thinking about foksy etc... but never quite found time to update all its constituents. Maybe someday... If I do make a new version sometime, I'll also provide a version of the apps all in separate pets.

NOTE WELL:

Immediately after installing the dotpet for the very first time, you should open a console and enter the command:

Code:
foksy setup

there is a space between foksy and setup.

Then you need to reboot, and thereafter follow Trobins first post above instructions (i.e. ifoksy and then foksy)

I haven't tried foksyfeyer for a long time so have no idea if it works on any of the newer Pups, though from what Trobin relates it seems that it does to some extent at least... Handle with care though - wouldn't want you to overwrite any existing apps or libs with this old dotpet.

Trobin

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:08    Post subject:  

foksyfeyercore-1.0.0-1.pet is the only one I have, and just stumbled on it by accident.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 16:53    Post subject: foksycore ubuntu version  

Trobin wrote:
foksyfeyercore-1.0.0-1.pet is the only one I have, and just stumbled on it by accident.

No problem. For puppy at least, the files I uploaded are all the ones needed (apart from sox if anyone wants to use krecspk). In fact, the core pet is all that is required if krecspk not needed. The installation docs for foksycore are in the pet somewhere, but I'll find them and upload them separately since makes it easier for new installations. I'm pretty sure I could have arranged things such that a reboot at installation wasn't necessary. However... as things stand, immediately after first install, definitely need to enter:

Code:

foksy setup

I can't remember what that sets up, but it was important. After rebooting, you just enter "ifoksy" in any newly opened terminal or console, followed by "foksy" to get the menu program. No need to ever reboot again. Yasr, speech-dispatcher, and espeak should then start working. I tried it all quickly in my Wary installation and it does indeed still work fine - didn't test all its many functions though.

The Ubuntu foksycore version differed in that it was modified to work connectly with gnome-terminal, but that doesn't apply here nor to Lucid pup. I'll probably stumble across it again some time anyway, but if anyone has a copy of that version please let me know in case I can't find the original from these years ago :-)

I haven't been developing anything specifically for Lucid Puppy because it doesn't come standard with some stuff I use, which Wary does (and Wary is generally lighter on resources I believe). However, I should give the recent Lucid a try sometime. (I expect Pcreole works fine in Lucid though and perhaps Precord too). I note that the new Lucid uses Roxterm console, so, as with Ubuntu gnome-terminal, I imagine foksy would probably need some changes to make big fonts work with that.

Last edited by mcewanw on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 17:15; edited 4 times in total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2011, 17:01    Post subject:  

I'd suggest adding the special research hts_engine version of flite as an option for speech-dispatcher, which I compiled a few years ago and uploaded here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=365953

That has much better voice quality than espeak even when espeak is used with mbrola. Unfortunately, flite-hts_engine has some flaws such that it garbles text sometimes. Pity, cos it is has really amazing voice quality for its size otherwise. I see amigo has suggested another possibility called svox-pico, but I haven't tried that one, so don't know how good it is.

Trobin

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2011, 02:44    Post subject:  

Internet stuff is ready to go. A remodelled version of Noobydoo's Firelog appears to work. It hasn't been fully tested yet and will be done soon.

It does provide internet functions using ethernet only.

Wvdial is in the full version may be in Wary-tiny.

I do have wireless but have never succeeded in getting Puppy Linux to recognize it. 431, Lucid, or Wary. Any time I tried I bollixed up things so bad that I had to reboot the router before Windows would connect.

puppyiso

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 06:10    Post subject:  

I have been reading this topic for quite a long time. And have tried all kinds of installations. Just reading the 47pages would take a few days.

Yet, I haven't seen any mention of other languages except German by MU.

Just English and English.. As if everybody in this planet uses English as their native language.

All the related links sometimes showed some non English but were very few.

I wonder why no one ever showed any concern for other languages.

Furthermore, even that English is not perfectly successful.

Not only has this topic but also other related posts in this forum never been able to show any real success stoies enough to claim that it is good enough for the blind in general.

I hope I am wrong cause I am loosing my sight day by day.

47 pages long and 4 years of talk is not enough? Are we chasing a rainbow or ghost?

I read a book about a voice controlled computer with all kinds of schematics in the late 1970.

Now it's year 2011. For more than 40 years, no one has succeeded this dream. What are we doing here?
amigo

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:24    Post subject:  

Re: svox-pico. That's the speech synthesis engine from android. On android it's an integral part of the system as a library. But someone over at debian hacked it up to be able to compile and use (as a program) under linux. the voices are really high-quality sounding. The drawback is that it only outputs wav files which then have to be played using aplay or whatever. I tired getting ti to work by piping into a player, but that doesn't work. Nice opportunity for anyone interested...
Trobin

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 17:09    Post subject:  

The focus here may seem to be English only but I doubt the intent was.

Espeak has support, more or less, for the following languages.

af Afrikaans bs Bosnian
ca Catalan cs Czech
da Danish de German
el Greek eo Esperanto
es Spanish
es-la Spanish - Latin America
fi Finnish fr French
hr Croatian
hu Hungarian
it Italian kn Kannada
ku Kurdish lv Latvian
nl Dutch pl Polish
pt Portuguese (Brazil)
pt-pt Portuguese (European)
Romanian sk Slovak.
sr Serbian sv Swedish
sw Swahihi ta Tamil
tr Turkish
zh Mandarin Chinese

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/languages.html

So it certainly should be possible to get a non English version working.

A quick system that might work for you, and others , is a Puppy with Foksyfeyercore. It works fairly well with Wary Puppy 5.1.1. If it works with Lucid Puppy I have no idea.

You can get foksyfercore through this post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26184&start=75

Install as per Mcewanw’s instructions.onfigure espeak to work with the language of your choice.

Use two windows. One for regular puppy applications.

In the other, open a terminal window, and run “Foksy” and, after the menu appears, “p”

Do your work in the first window, and when you need some thing read-
highlight the text.

Go to the second window and enter c x. Remember the space between the c and the x. The highlighted text should then be read out.

Quote:
I read a book about a voice controlled computer with all kinds of schematics in the late 1970.

That may require someone with more expertise than I have.

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2011, 02:13    Post subject:  

Trobin wrote:
The focus here may seem to be English only but I doubt the intent was.
In the other, open a terminal window, and run “Foksy” and, after the menu appears, “p”

Do your work in the first window, and when you need some thing read-highlight the text.

Go to the second window and enter c x. Remember the space between the c and the x. The highlighted text should then be read out.

Actually, it doesn't matter if you put a space between the c and the x or not, foksy accepts either syntax. For text which has just been "selected" in another window (which can be an X application window) the key strokes to enter into foksy are actually: s x
c x is for the case where the selected text has actually been copied.

Though espeak itself can be configured for alternative languages, and edbrowse is pretty good in that aspect too, it is fair to say that foksyfeyer was developed and tested for english only. At the time, I didn't know anything about "locales" and so on. If I ever do any major work on foksyfeyer, I'll make sure to at least use the gettext system (which I also now use in Pcreole) so that foksy menu items will work with translations. However, that won't address the fact that many of these nevertheless useful old commandline applications are themselves targeted for an english-speaking audience only - can't do much about that sorry.

As for what reads like the suggestion that all these efforts have been a fruitless waste of time, well maybe that is true in general, I have no idea. At the time most of this threads many pages were being written, I was working on foksyfeyer and Trobin was working on his Seeing Dog Puppy (which was called something different at the time as far as I remember). I certainly found the parallel efforts useful since ideas were able to be bounced back and forward and many commandline apps tested to see how well they worked with screen readers.

Whether anyone else has actually used either of these systems (or the several similar ones) in daily practice, or even found them useful, I have no idea. Most everything I develop is usually for my own interest and use - I just sometimes publish things in case anyone finds it useful to him or her too.

I certainly do know that the application edbrowse, is used on a daily basis by a number of blind users, including the program's author Karl Danke. For some of that community, edbrowse seems to provide their main (and preferred) means of accessing the Internet, though probably not on Puppy Linux, which is fundamentally a graphical (X-apps based) distribution (which is part of what Trobin has usefully I feel, made efforts to address).

Personally, I'm very glad this thread exists in all its many pages, and continues to be added to. At the very least it provides (for me) a useful resource list on what commandline apps are available and on how well they work with screen readers, which is a resource I try to contribute to.

Trobin

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug 2011, 21:16    Post subject:  

There have been other attempts, noteably Elite OS, and Fluppy 013 that have buit in YYS systems, using, respectively, festival and flite.
EliteOS
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=767950529&t=60856

Fluppy 013
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56156

I can’t, and won’t, say that any of the 47 pages of this thread had any bearing on the above. But I am glad that this thread is here. As a resource that I, or anyone else, can use if needed..

Page 47 of 49 [729 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: