Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
scsijon

#421 Post by scsijon »

I found the problem with my box3 relates to a Kernal Module Problem!

:Loading kernal Modules....[ 25.014560] BUG: unable to handle kernal paging request at 342c0020.

I have added it in Iguleders 4991/next thread as as I understand it your using his kernal packs. Hopefully he can sort it out.

regards
scsijon

backi

#422 Post by backi »

Hi folks!

This ldrivepanel is something i was looking for.
Quite comfortable.

Thanks

pemasu

#423 Post by pemasu »

scsijon. Do I remember right that you used Amd Sempron in that machine. If so, that problem is probably due to intel atom optimization I used. I have my own kernel compilation, which is the product of Ice Puppy thread kernel project, Barry took the .config script and modified it better and then I modified it little again and that is lupe28 kernel.
To get kernel working with most machines, you would need most conservative specs and that is something I dont want. My main target is somewhat newer comps and especially laptops. There are already so many Barrys builds for older comps that it is not worthy to add one more to that era.

And my laptop is quite new still, intel i5 cpu quadcore. It would be shameful to use kernel specs which are for oldest pentium machines. I have already lowered threshold from dual core specs to atom specs which are close of Pentium 4 specs.

I am sorry, I wont lower threshold more.....

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#424 Post by Béèm »

The story of Idrivepanel-demo → idrivepanel
I discovered Idrivepaneldemo made by seaside.
I asked him to isolate the Idrivepanel part and he did.
I referenced it in this thread and pemasu liked it and renamed the pet to Idrivepanel-0.0.1.pet to match it with woof requirements.

So thank you seaside and maybe we will find this nice facility standard in Exprimo.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

backi

#425 Post by backi »

High folks!

Backi back in town.
About this "shutdown without saving" option.

It is quite usefull for me.Sometimes i am trying out some new programms or packages or sometimes experimenting with some changes ...and so on,
when something went wrong or i dont like the whole show, i am able to leave
"Desaster island" without saving any crap.

A bit like a virtual virtual box.

Sometimes quite comfortable.
Last edited by backi on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#426 Post by pemasu »

Backi. I wont change woof scripts easily, but if you have modified script for shutdown, I can include it to the build, where you and other can copy it over existing script.
I think that what you ask is more modification for personal preferences than something which I change as default behavior. I tested about one year ago the mechanism you ask, but I dont remember straight what it took to achieve it. For next build anyway I will only include ready made modification to some dedicated folder for use to those who want to use this save only as demand.

backi

#427 Post by backi »

High pemasu !

For my shutdownscript i used the second script from "MochiMoppel"

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65016

I am a complete LINUX beginner.
I did this:
Opened Geany and copied and put into (Geany) this script

#!/bin/sh

# skips rc.shutdown and powers off computer without saving the session.
Xdialog --title "script $0" --yesno "\n\nAre you sure to power-off computer WITHOUT saving?\n\n" 0 0
[ $? -eq 0 ] && exec /bin/busybox poweroff

Then i saved it as "SHUTDOWN WITHOUT SAVING" or something like this
to root or i think any place you like.
If you want to execute it now clicking on it.... there will be a message

"No run Action specified for files of this type bla bla bla..."

Right click on your new "downshutter"
menue will appear
go to PERMISSION chosse a+x(Make executable/searchable)
click yes.
Now it should run if i am right.
Then you can decorate it with a pretty Icon.
In Puppy Event Manager check "save Session" Save interval =0 minutes
I am using Pupsave mode=0 (it means never)
Up til now i never encounterd any serious problem.
There is more written here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65016

This script was from MochiMoppel the second one
I am using DPup and Macpup installed to USB stick (both go well with this feature)
I dont know if there would be problems with full installation.

Cheers
Last edited by backi on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#428 Post by backi »

High
It`s me

Some silly question

How to make clickable links when i am posting here
Thanks in advance

pemasu

#429 Post by pemasu »

Backi. I will read more about your used solution. I am not sure how safe this method is for existing savefile, but if you dont save at all, it is more like load savefile and you dont want any changes into it. Is this method safe, because you have loaded your savefile, I dont know.

I can include it as optional usage from /root/my-applications/bin, which is on the path and so executable straight with console and that is recommended place for optional binaries and executable scripts.

Decorating it with executable icon in JWM Pinboard (Rox Pinboard) is something you need to do yourself.

Clickable links: Higlight your URL and click the URL button in your post window, above the text box.

backi

#430 Post by backi »

Hello pemasu!

Shutdown with this script never caused trouble for me.

(I am using Pups on USB stick)

The only thing is ,during bootup ,when all this messages appear,
there will be one like " checking save file...bla...bla.."
But that does not matter .
Had always correct boot.
In case you want to save some changes(during session), use the "savetoflash" option click the button ,(place a symlink from /usr/sbin/save to flash button beside the button "Shutdown without save".)

Then after that, if you like, end the session with "shutdow without saving).
It shuts down faster and your Usb stick maybe will live longer because not so much writing to it.
If you used "save to flash "during a session (of course after save procedure with save button has finished)
you can shutdown without saving or use the normal shutdown procedure which will save the session again.
The normal shutdown button on the shelve works as usual.

backi

#431 Post by backi »

pemasu

#432 Post by pemasu »

Backi et al. I have now read and the optional save at shutdown is now more clear for me. It is intended when you boot in PUPMODE=13 aka pmedia=usbflash so that tmpfs is in top layer. It is not intended in normal frugal install in hdd aka PUPMODE=12.

Next thing, the optional save or not at shutdown should be done through /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown script as scottman has showed. It means to modify snapmergepuppy row to have that Xdialog save or not.

Also if you shutdown without saving straight, there will be left /etc/.XLOADED file which means for puppy that you have done unclean shutdown and it performs fsck everytime, not bad thing, but every time, well....
And also you get info that you have shutdown uncleanly last time and you have to shut that box before it boots. So...you would need to remove .XLOADED and save that before you create the shutdown without saving....if you want to boot straight with out that stopping unclean shutdown message.
That rm /etc/.XLOADED could be in /etc/rc.d/rc.local file so that it will executed straight at bootup as last thing.

Anyway....that shutdown without saving is not the puppy way right now, it is more user preference and so it means hacking to the woof scripts to include it. I can include it as optional script, no more....
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

#433 Post by scsijon »

pemasu wrote:scsijon. Do I remember right that you used Amd Sempron in that machine. If so, that problem is probably due to intel atom optimization I used.

I am sorry, I wont lower threshold more.....
nope, pure Intel through and through.

Never mind, i'll just use one of the others.

Iguleder

#434 Post by Iguleder »

Pemasu, you're the man.

Offer Barry to build some community-release of dpup. I'm sure all the dpup fans around will be useful :)

I'll do my best to help such an effort. I'm working on getting a barebones dpup working with a vanilla Woof, so we don't need all those hand-made fixes anymore.

We can reach RC1-quality within weeks from now. We can do it, I believe in dpup.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

backi

#435 Post by backi »

Yea ! let's go.

Keep on rocking!

pemasu

#436 Post by pemasu »

Hey. Please everyone. Take it easy now. I know my limits.
I just replied to Gcmartin pm about thoughts of community Dpup. The idea is great and I am in. But my shoulders are not enough for it. We need able people more. I think that Iguleder has shown us the way and the light. I like to contribute my puplets based on Iguleders great work. I have always appreciated what Iguleder do. And we have had fun when creating puplets.

My post to Gcmartin:
Gcmartin. Yes, I have read Iguleders post and also his post to Barrys blog about Dpup "official" future.

I like to work with Iguleder. I have done that at previous squeeze phase and also at insidious phase.

We were a lot at puppylinux irc and chatted real time. Many insidious building steps were decided at irc.

Nowadays I dont much use my time at irc. And I and Iguleder have mostly communicated through Murga forum.

About my contributing. I will go on with Dpup and publish my builds. To be an community contributor. I am afraid my time and capabilities are not enough for that big task.

Lets the dust settle. It was Iguleder that Barry suggested. My abilities are not so redundant than Iguleders. I am not coder.

Iguleder has built linux distros several time from scratch and he knows the linux and Puppy structure inside out....

I am still learning. It could be best for community that I create what I can.......

Just my quick brainstorming. As you can see, I am not ambitious man. Just trying to enjoy from what I can, no more...

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#437 Post by Béèm »

From the 1.08 till now I followed puppy and the forum.
I don't feel that a community product will have success.
Attempts have been made with a successful result, but there s no talk about it now.

I prefer the work you do, pemasu as well as the one of iguleder, playdayz, 01micko, tazoc, barry's, dejans to name the ones I have been trying.

And there are others I didn't try.

I am happy with what is going on this way.
Time savers:

pemasu

#438 Post by pemasu »

Back to business. I had hard 2 days with woof. First with new pngoverlay because needed package didnt process. Next file pet wasnt processed. Both problems recognized. Next gtkdialog_DOC (not sure if it is useful other than coders) didnt process. Problem fixed by recreating and making a pet of it and adding that specs to packages-puppy-common-official database. To be sure I redownload the packages to the woof. There was something really wrong with my last download.

I have made my fixes and improvements to 5.X.3. I just need to build it with fresh packages. E17 gets face lifting. It unfortunately crashes erratically. Lets hope that Iguleder still has interest for e17, because I have started to like it. Themes are big though. Anyway, I am sure with new releases, it will still get better, if somebody able enough compiles it and creates the core e17. Iguleder, dont leave e17 totally even though you struggle with WindowMaker.

don570

#439 Post by don570 »

Béèm wrote:I miss the epdfviewer.

Zathura is really picky on the file name.
Iguleder has compiled version 3 of Zathura.

I checked it and it has a problem with file

names, but version 4 has fixed this (from my quick testing.)

Try out zathura_gui which has zathura 4 included ,

as well as a gui. It should work.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 15&t=70032

Béèm

#440 Post by Béèm »

I am with you, pemasu, for the E17.
I wish there was a pet to implement it on other puppy's to replace JWM or whatever. I saw some work of Iguleder, bt I don't understand what to do with it.
Time savers: