Squeeze 5x D-Lite

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#81 Post by pemasu »

Packages-puppy-common-official not working from PPM will be fixed in next woof:
I include that fix to the next version without waiting next woof.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02396

pemasu

#82 Post by pemasu »

Above fix broke PPM even more. I didnt include it, and I will just remove common repo from selection.

Stu90. I modified the sfsget-manager text when you dont have savefile, so that it still launches it but tells that the support is experimental.
Attachments
sfsget-manager-0.0.3.pet
(7.43 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

pemasu

#83 Post by pemasu »

Lol. I posted to the wrong thread. Anyway....Dpup Exprimo 5.X.2 has been uploaded and it has stu90`s found bug fixes and improvements also. But the previous content was meant to Exprimo thread.

pemasu

#84 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. I tested the xmbc, boxee and celestia sfs. I added the missing lib to the xmbc sfs and repacked it. They all started and with short playing seemed to work. Of course they need real usage also. To achieve real reports, I uploaded them to the repo. I renamed them slightly because some other people might be as ignorant as I about what they are.

Nice additions for multimedia and everybody has room for one more space experience.

stu90

#85 Post by stu90 »

Cool thanks Pemasu - Im really liking sfsget-manager i just missed version 0.3 for this upload so will install and test it today. 8)

cheers.

stu90

#86 Post by stu90 »

D-lite updated to 5.0.7 - see fist post.

jim3630

#87 Post by jim3630 »

manual frugal pfix=ram install to ext4. Like the built-in broadcom wl.ko driver. thanks.

couldn't get sns or connection wizard to make wifi connection due to scripts timing out. installed frisbee-beta-2-lucid52.pet, thank you playdayz. able to make wifi connection straight away.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz
Memory : 2519MB (165MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 13 Aug 2011 12:14:35 AM GMT+8
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

installed ff 501 from ppm. unable to download any via ppm from
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/

-------------
# glxgears
5862 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1172.234 FPS
6522 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1304.360 FPS
6575 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1314.857 FPS
6612 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1322.315 FPS
6607 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1321.319 FPS
6472 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1294.324 FPS

sure seems fast

nooby

#88 Post by nooby »

Stu pardon me being so lazy today but your sfsget-manager looks interesting.

if it works well does it not need it's own thread so any comment about it doesn't drown in all the other Squeeze things going on?

I use seasides sfs exec now but if yours makes more error checking that would be cool.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Billtoo

Squeeze 5x D-Lite

#89 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to hp desktop.
I installed devx + kernel source sfs + NVIDIA-Linux-x86-280.13.run

Sat 13 Aug 2011 Operating System: D-Lite Puppy-5.0.7 Linux 2.6.39
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: vesa
X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (342x271 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500
Core 0: 1200 1: 1200 MHz

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
29889 frames in 5.0 seconds
31260 frames in 5.0 seconds
31359 frames in 5.0 seconds
#
Thanks for the new version.
Attachments
D-litescrn.jpg
(161.57 KiB) Downloaded 763 times

stu90

#90 Post by stu90 »

nooby wrote:Stu pardon me being so lazy today but your sfsget-manager looks interesting.

if it works well does it not need it's own thread so any comment about it doesn't drown in all the other Squeeze things going on?

I use seasides sfs exec now but if yours makes more error checking that would be cool.
Hi Nooby,
I cant take any credit for sfsget-manager i just changed one word in the script, Pemasu set it all up :)

It isn't a new type of sfs loading tool - what sfsget-manager does is downloads .sfs for dpup from the internet then runs shinobar's sfs load on the fly.

stu90

#91 Post by stu90 »

New D-lite 5.0.8 download on page one.
Back with 2.6.39-4 kernel
Update to Ymount 0.9
earlier feh version
update downloader

There has been some talk on Barry's blog about possible problems during the build process with woof and 2.6.39.x kernel - i haven't noticed anything missing but then i don't know the ins and outs of puppy that well to tell for sure, this build seems to work ok for me though so i think i will stick with 5.0.8 for a while and see what pans out.

I will have a look through the other dpup threads and see if there are any bugs i can fix on D-lite - theres also a couple of other little things i want to look into at as well - and maybe try and build a pet for printer use.

jim3630

#92 Post by jim3630 »

frugal manual install 508 to ext4 but unlike 507 broadcom wl.ko driver is not there :cry:

Payoon

Frugal Install Of DPUP Lite

#93 Post by Payoon »

Hi,
After booting with pfix=ram and trying to do a frugal install it always ends up with the following:
installer tells me that he can't unmount my harddisk. When I check with pmount, I find that the harddisk is unmounted. I have tried another harddisk with ext3, freshly formatted and bootable. Same problem. I have to mention that I have installed many puppies (barry's dpup, lucid puppy etc.) and never had this occur. What could be wrong. BTW the dpup lite is great.
Has anyone an idea?

Payoon

stu90

Re: Frugal Install Of DPUP Lite

#94 Post by stu90 »

Payoon wrote:Hi,
After booting with pfix=ram and trying to do a frugal install it always ends up with the following:
installer tells me that he can't unmount my harddisk. When I check with pmount, I find that the harddisk is unmounted. I have tried another harddisk with ext3, freshly formatted and bootable. Same problem. I have to mention that I have installed many puppies (barry's dpup, lucid puppy etc.) and never had this occur. What could be wrong. BTW the dpup lite is great.
Has anyone an idea?

Payoon
Hello Payoon,
this is probably due to gparted partition manager not being installed as default - you can download the .pet from here:
http://ubuntuone.com/p/1APW/

stu90

#95 Post by stu90 »

jim3630 wrote:frugal manual install 508 to ext4 but unlike 507 broadcom wl.ko driver is not there :cry:
Hi jim3630,
507 was using Pemasu's lupe kernel - but i had some problems with that build with mega error floods numbering in the several thousands - not sure what was causing it, bad build, something not copied over in woof, broken script? so i have gone back to using 2.6.39-4 kernel for the time being.

I really have no experience at all with things like compiling kernels and wifi drivers - Could the wl.ko be copied from 507?
Perhaps Iguleder or Pemasu could offer some advice on what is need to get this wifi to work?

pemasu

#96 Post by pemasu »

Kernel module drivers are usually compiled kernel spesific. The specs needs to be really similar that you can cross-use them.
Probably my compiled wl module wont work in Iguleders kernel.

stu90

#97 Post by stu90 »

Thanks for information Pemasu - i had a feeling it wouldn't be so simple :(

stu90

#98 Post by stu90 »

First test for new update downloader feature in D-lite-5.0.8.

This is a very crude update downloader aimed for those who maybe don't visit the forums so often or have the time to read through multi page threads - it is not automated or anything like that - its main aim is for low level update, missing libs, fixing .desktop icons, broken symlinks general small bug fixes etc

Ideally i would have liked to have had the update automatically install after downloading but i guess some people would freak out at such a prospect so you just download the .pet to your chosen download location and click on it to install as normal.

Once an update is installed it will show up in the dpup-update GUI under 'Already installed updates:'
Once an update has been installed it is best not to uninstall as some things may break!
If you accidentally uninstall an update reinstall it or redownload it from the dpup-update gui.

Update name format - UPDATE-5.0.8_01_15-08-2011.pet

UPDATE = means it is an update
5.0.8 = is the D-lite version (only updates for that version will be displayed)
_01_ = being the update number 01 first 02 second 03 third etc
15-08-2011 = is the date the update was added.

How to use:
open a terminal and enter the command: dpup-update

-included updates in 01 :
- menu item / desktop file for dpup-update in Puppy > Setup Puppy (run the updater from there after first update)
- updated Packages-puppy-exprimo-official repo file
- fixed Desk top mode bug in roxicon
- fixed desktop mode bug in desktop icon switcher

cheers.

Payoon

#99 Post by Payoon »

[img]Stu90 wrote:
Hello Payoon,
this is probably due to gparted partition manager not being installed as default - you can download the .pet from here:
http://ubuntuone.com/p/1APW/
[/img]

Hi Stu90,
You were exactly right. After installing the gparted pet I could do a frugal install without problems. Looks fine and is fast.Thanks for the advice and for Squeeze D-Lite.

Payoon

pemasu

#100 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. I will stole your Dpup updater at some stage. As exchange here is fixed sfsget-manager-0.0.4 which now accepts names with _ . At least sfsget which I modified is from the woof which supports that. It can be that 15.8 woof /usr/local/petget scripts are needed also.
It connects to the exprimo`s sfs repo. It can be difficult to keep apps sfs files compatible with Dpup Lite, but lets try. Many sfs apps anyway will be compatible with small modifications.
Attachments
sfsget-manager-0.0.4.pet
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 301 times