Slacko 312.37 110807

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#361 Post by Lobster »

Slacko = Official Puppy 5.3
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02408 :)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy53

Puppy Linux
Use, test, compile - improve the fun
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

James C

#362 Post by James C »

Béèm wrote:Congratulations
To 01micko for his spup being nominated officially a puppy and thus will hit distrowatch.
Really great news. :)

MinHundHettePerro

#363 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote: Charlie, MinHundHettePerro (cum, Chien, or Koira maybe :lol: ).. can you see the dialog boxes when they pop up after boot? That is the first run wizard by shinobar. [It certainly seems as though JWM is part of the problem here, re cowboy].
Hello :)!
On first boot I see the first-start top-splash and the centred dialogue box. I can choose lingo and TZ, tick numlock on, (res. is correctly pre-chosen as 1280x1024) but when I click the OK button to close it, the probability that the background is all a fuzzy mess behind the dialogue box is ~90%. Once there is a scrambled fuzzy patch, more will come, and the text in the Menu disappears, together with the text in the window titles. Clicking "yes" to restart X, or postponing it til later make no difference; restarting X invariably BSOD:s.

Another piece of info:
On first boot, when the drive-icons, of which I have quite a few, are drawn on the desktop, there is graphical hiccup for a second or so, the screen goes black and the three or four drive-icons that should have been drawn during this hiccup are simply missing, the rightward stepping continues, but nothing is drawn on the desktop. After the drawing of drive-icons continues.

I have been using 310.37 since its release (wasn't as difficult/impossible as 311/312.37 to get to restart with a working X) and one thing I've noticed with this version is that sometimes, quite rarely, after long use, the menu text goes a-missing, and the only way out is to reboot. Restarting Jwm does not fix this issue.

Long rambling error report :), hope it helps/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

01micko

#364 Post by 01micko »

MHHP

Thanks muchly for your, to wit, "Long rambling error report" :)

Intriguing. I think part of the issue is rerwin's fix for Brookdales designed for lupu. I will back that out. I only just thought of that actually, I don't think it was in 310.37, it was in 311.37, and modded for 312.37. I'll still update the Intel driver and put in the gui at first start offering ways to improve brookdale performance if it is still flakey.

~~~

So it's official. We are the next Puppy. :)

The next beta, which I was hoping to push tonight can wait til tomorrow. I am doing a pre-build right now. A new thread will be started.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all you guys and the odd girl who have posted here and the old spup-100 series threads. Without all that feedback we wouldn't be where we are now. The announcement I hope will attract a few more heads to the table and your input will be greatly appreciated.

Well, time to knuckle down I guess!

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

MinHundHettePerro

#365 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Just to add >1000 words to my recent long, rambling, error report ...

hth :)/ MHHP
Attachments
slacko-312.37.jpg
(96.3 KiB) Downloaded 869 times

01micko

#366 Post by 01micko »

Actually, that's exactly what I saw when my Brookdale threw a wobbly.

Brown Mouse

#367 Post by Brown Mouse »

01micko wrote:

So it's official. We are the next Puppy. :)

!
Great news!Well done 01micko :D

nooby

#368 Post by nooby »

So if I get it I should wait for a later upload and not test this one then?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DaveS

#369 Post by DaveS »

Mick... you cant call girls odd anymore. Not PC you know :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

charlie6

#370 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
MinHundHettePerro wrote:...after long use, the menu text goes a-missing, and the only way out is to reboot. Restarting Jwm does not fix this issue...
Still more intriguing ... this morning, just to check out (one more time) if fuzzy screen etc...repeats again ... I booted from 312.37 live-cd pfix=ram on the very same machine+TFT screen - but skipping the Personalize Settings - : result: ... everyrthing looked OK :shock: :oops: ...??!
(Just AS IF this 845G Brookdale has «learned» or «memorized» runnig OK for quite a week ...! then I thought to myself «no..not determinist at all!»).

...except that, doing the personalize setting afterwards to BE_french locale the menu text goes i-missing.

After switching Menu/Desktop icon switcher to another icon theme (i.e. smooth-color) no more missing character in the menu text entries. And doing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace / xorgwizard / xwin some more times would not cause any fuzzy screen.

On another 82845G chip featured identical machine with another TFT display, got the fuzzy screen again as earlier.

@ 01micko
BTW congratulations to you ! That's great !
Cheers, Charlie

01micko

#371 Post by 01micko »

DaveS wrote:Mick... you cant call girls odd anymore. Not PC you know :)
Bugger! Hmmm.. enlightened girl? :D

~~~

Sigmund.. I have emailed Joe Wing, notified him of the fuzzy icon issue (undoubtedly pixman again) and the flickering upon "jwm -restart" command. I hope he finds enough motivation to fix at least those two. :) .

As Dougal has noted in another thread, Joe is pretty much neglecting jwm these days.. then you look at the alternatives.. openbox is not updated in more than 2 years, nor fbpanel, tint2 is active, icewm is very quiet for over a year. The rest of the light wms are either too geeky or too difficult. I prefer Jwm. At least if the pixman issue gets resolved it will look ok.. and come to think of it, that may be the issue with the brookdales.. cowboy?.. he keeps mooing about icewm! :lol:

MinHundHettePerro

#372 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Brokendale saga continued ...

Been first-booting slacko-312.37 for two hours now :shock: (autistic?, nah, only half-geeky).
Started to see a pattern; if I moved the mouse pointer to the top banner as quickly as possible to launch that BaCon first screen, there were no scrambled, fuzzy patches on my desktop - until some 55 seconds later :? :? :?, still I could restart X, make a savefile and get on with slacko :) :).

So, I commented out lines 177 - 231 in /usr/sbin/delayedrun:

Code: Select all

#while [ $RETVALs -eq 0 ];do #only do this if X running.
   #usleep 500000 #sleep 1
   #LOOPCNT=`expr $LOOPCNT + 1`
   ##20110328 put up dialog if no mouse movement...
   #if [ $LOOPCNT -eq 14 -a "$DISTRO_XORG_AUTO" = "yes" ];then #5 seconds, change 14=7secs 110516
    #CURPOS2="`getcurpos`"
    #if [ "$CURPOS1" = "$CURPOS2" ];then
     #choosemousefunc
     #if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
      #sync
      #exec restartwm
     #fi
    #fi
   #fi
   #[ $LOOPCNT -gt 110 ] && break #55 second timeout.
   #[ "`pidof yaf-splash`" != "" ] && continue
   ##bark and put up the getting started message...

##   FLAGSND=""
##   FLAGSND="`grep 'alias snd\-card\-0' /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf`" #101112 see alsa wizard, /usr/sbin/alsaconf
##   [ "$FLAGSND" = "" ] && [ "`find /etc/modprobe -maxdepth 1 -type f -name 'alsa_card*.conf'`" != "" ] && FLAGSND="`cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa_card*.conf | grep 'snd\-card\-0'`" #101120 see /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe
##   if [ "$FLAGSND" != "" ];then #101017 101112
   ##if [ -f /tmp/rc_d_rc_services_alsa_ok ];then #101121 see /etc/rc.d/rc.services.
   #if [ -c /dev/mixer ];then #110113 test for sound ready, see /etc/init.d/10alsa.
    ##aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.au &
    ##wavplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav &
    #aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav & #01micko for alsaequal bug
    #RETAPLAY=$?
    #PIDAPLAY=$!
   #fi
   ##101009 problem as tray applets only got launched after welcome msg exited...
   ##100511 for ram-challenged pc, better to display png...
   ##101019 welcome1stboot is now a gtkdialog app...
   ##if [ -f /usr/share/doc/welcome1stboot.png ];then
   ## if [ "`which gview`" ];then
   ##  gview /usr/share/doc/welcome1stboot.png & #101009
   ## else
   ##  defaultimageviewer /usr/share/doc/welcome1stboot.png & #101009
   ## fi
   ##else
   ## #100522 'surfer' is a simple viewer (uses libgtkhtml)...
   ## if [ -f /usr/bin/surfer ];then
   ##  surfer /usr/share/doc/welcome1stboot.htm & #can't handle the file:// prefix. 101009
   ## else
   ##  $BAREVIEW file:///usr/share/doc/welcome1stboot.htm & #101009
   ## fi
   ##fi
   ##/usr/share/doc/welcome1stboot & #101019
   #welcome1stboot & #110412 now in /usr/sbin
   #sleep 3 #101009
   ##[ $RETAPLAY -eq 0 ] && kill $PIDAPLAY 2> /dev/null
   #[ "`pidof aplay`" != "" ] && killall aplay
   #break
  #done
  #[ $RETVALs -eq 0 ] && kill $YAFPIDs 2>/dev/null
re-squashed the puppy_spup_312.37.sfs and now IT WORKS, EVERY TIME :D :D :D.
Don't get to see the BaCon splash thingy, though. Maybe a more restrictive commenting-out of lines in the code block above would have been preferred.

Anyway, for someone that knows the ins and outs of the quoted code block, there is something contained in there that messes with my Brokendale (rev3).

hth :)/ MHHP

01micko

#373 Post by 01micko »

Autistic... mmmh.. m'i rome dslyxeic..

anyway.. I think I commented the piggy bits in 310.37, or even removed the exec, I forget... (demented?.. moi?).. could be on to something there..

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#374 Post by Béèm »

01micko wrote:Bugger! Hmmm.. enlightened girl? :D
Where is Enlightenment for slacko? :wink:
Could solve JWM problems. :twisted:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#375 Post by 01micko »

Béèm wrote:Where is Enlightenment for slacko? :wink:
I did indeed write a build script to do such in Lupu.. long did before Iguleder.. even referred him the post... soon :)

charlie6

#376 Post by charlie6 »

Hi again,
charlie6 wrote:Hi,
Still more intriguing ... I booted from 312.37 live-cd pfix=ram on the very same machine+TFT screen - but skipping the Personalize Settings - : result: ... everyrthing looked OK
now booting live-cd pfix=ram and with setup of Perso Settings to BE_french, I got the same fuzzy screen as earlier, as also MHHP .

So things here looks going different whether the Perso Settings are set, or skipped.

Cheers, Charlie

01micko

#377 Post by 01micko »

Ok.. I'm finally trying my dyslexic logic here..

*312.37 reverted to xorgwizard, mainly because boot to desktop was ok, but after that disaster was looming
*I made 1 (and only 1) change to delayedrun, concerning sound only..but if that's not ready who knows what will happen?
*the bacon exec running the initial puppy info and the first-run compete, one needs to be removed. This is the key.
*while jwm is light, methinks it's slow. Light is not always fast. Brookdale is old, and slow as hardware goes, intel IMHO have never had good graphics chips, I avoid them if I can.

Conclusion: remove the bacon popup at first-run. Add a small delay to "delayedrun" so that jwm is ready, maybe 0.25 of a second.

I prefer the first-run wiz by shino in that it is internationalised. It's all well and good to answer 10 questions at bootup but who is going to translate that? I'd prefer full boot to desktop but it is in the too hard basket ATM for me. At least it's only a few short questions involving numbers at first boot the way it is now.

Thanks everyone!

DaveS

#378 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
Dave.. SM-2.3b3 is 42 minutes through compiling at this minute.. (any second now :P ).. will upload when done.
I guess when theming tray icons it's great at first... :lol: (gnome, kde, win7 all have that issue! Apple don't.. but then what can you do with a mac apart from eat it?)

EDIT: Seamonkey-2.3 Beta 3 uploaded [17M]
This build outperforms Firefox 5.0.1 on Peacekeeper :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#379 Post by nooby »

This build outperforms Firefox 5.0.1 on Peacekeeper
Such maybe need a thread of it's own then :)

I would want such a thread but I am not fit to provide one.

So in what way is that SM good then? We need a thread about it.

Would be unfair to take up space on Slacko thread debating the pro et cons of SM here. Slacko is too important for that. Friendly smile
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DaveS

Another Way

#380 Post by DaveS »

First there was just Slacko, Openbox, and MyGtkMenu

Then some configuration

MyGtkMenu. I shall be eternally grateful to Stu90 for this

Well how about that, it all works

Even the Openbox root menu
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!