Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 10:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Slacko 312.37 110807
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 21 of 30 [437 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
01micko

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 16:20    Post subject:  

Hi everybody,

I have been away a couple of days and have to catch up on some reading.

I notice Barry has updated woof, we look like we may have some bugs fixed, Kevin DeKorte mailed me and the gnome-mplayer bug is fixed Smile , thanks to sszindian and James C for reports, hopefully I can get a handle on intel Brookdale thanks to Charlie's research, also synaptics thanks to peebee's and DaveS' tinkering. Zigbert has a new beta of Pmusic almost ready. Thanks mikesLr for confirming your radeon is ok.

There are however some new bugs, I see the ps files do nothing when clicked, noted, and don570 has an alsa issue, noted. I'll do some more scouring to see if I can't fix those issues, or at least come to a satisfactory work around.

So.. hopefully we can have a beta release of Slacko in the next 2 to 4 days. Smile

Cheers

DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 16:23    Post subject:  

Great Smile
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 16:45    Post subject:  

Same machine, identical configuration, Slacko boots 5secs faster than Spup1. In itself, not especially significant other than suggesting greater efficiency.
I am getting to liks Seamonkey 2.2 also. Seems comfortably fast and renders really well.

01micko

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 16:48    Post subject:  

Ok, I have read your stuff Charlie about i915/Brookdale and will try it on mine later Smile . If successful I can incorporate it into xorgwizard I think. Also, thanks for the gv (and you too vanchutr) script by PANZERKOPF

DaveS.. did you try adjusting some of the options for xcompmgr? A little gui would be nice eh? Also, the booting is woof improvements, mainly due to usb.

Anyone got any reports on success/failure of usb booting? This kernel has usbstorage as a module, not built into the kernel as Barry has done with his latest 2.6.39.3 and 2.6.32.44. So far I'm 3 for 3 on usb booting (3 machines). Didn't remove the hdd though.

puppyluvr

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 16:55    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
GUI for xcompmgr here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69127&sid=d85760a10a08f5d3a3735e84eb9a48b6
Used pemasu`s pet...

Works great for me...

Puppy since 2.15CE...
01micko

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 17:01    Post subject:  

Thanks puppyluvr.. but there's a gotcha...

Code:
ldd gcompmgr|grep not
   libgtkmm-2.4.so.1 => not found
   libgdkmm-2.4.so.1 => not found
   libatkmm-1.6.so.1 => not found
   libpangomm-1.4.so.1 => not found
   libglibmm-2.4.so.1 => not found

All big libs not included with slacko. Maybe we can compile it statically (???) since the static libs are in the devx thanks to pemasu. Or maybe someone who knows how this one works may want to write a simplified gtkdialog version?

Cheers

01micko

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 18:09    Post subject:  

Here's the latest svn checkout of gnome-mplayer. I am happy to report that cd playing issues appear fixed, thanks to Kevin DeKorte, gnome-mplayer developer. Note, he has added a new dependency, gmtk (gnome-mplayer toolkit).

Read more...
gmtk-110812-i486.pet
Description  required by gnome-mplayer
pet

Download 
Filename  gmtk-110812-i486.pet 
Filesize  45.63 KB 
Downloaded  120 Time(s) 
gnome-mplayer-110812svn-i486.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gnome-mplayer-110812svn-i486.pet 
Filesize  162.54 KB 
Downloaded  116 Time(s) 

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 20:34    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Ok, I have read your stuff Charlie about i915/Brookdale and will try it on mine later Smile . If successful I can incorporate it into xorgwizard I think. Also, thanks for the gv (and you too vanchutr) script by PANZERKOPF

DaveS.. did you try adjusting some of the options for xcompmgr? A little gui would be nice eh? Also, the booting is woof improvements, mainly due to usb.

Anyone got any reports on success/failure of usb booting? This kernel has usbstorage as a module, not built into the kernel as Barry has done with his latest 2.6.39.3 and 2.6.32.44. So far I'm 3 for 3 on usb booting (3 machines). Didn't remove the hdd though.

It looks like you will get faster booting with usb builtin to the kernel -- recent Woofs check for this and have faster startup code in the 'init' script and also /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

Also builtin hid simplifies input device detection, again 'init' is modified to detect this. This may also improve support for input devices.

I have also done this for the latest 2.6.32.44 kernel.

See the .config files at my sources repo http://bkhome.org/sources

vanchutr

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 20:55    Post subject:  

Delete post
Sorry to all
James C

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug 2011, 02:24    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Here's the latest svn checkout of gnome-mplayer. I am happy to report that cd playing issues appear fixed, thanks to Kevin DeKorte, gnome-mplayer developer. Note, he has added a new dependency, gmtk (gnome-mplayer toolkit).

Read more...

Just some real quick testing but appears to work fine here. Smile
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug 2011, 03:19    Post subject:  

I have been using FF for too long. Just remembered a new tab in Seamonkey can be opened by clicking on the tab bar far left 'open a new tab icon'. Far right to close current tab.

Was interested to to hear the booting was faster as it certainly seemed that way.
I did not like the gray icons bottom right initially. Now I think they are very good in particular the firewall which turns into a wall when on. The clipboard manager may also be useful (have not used it myself yet . . .)

Sound and Seamonkey with Flash has proved VERY reliable. This is my priority. In Lucid if I left a browser with a flash program running. On returning in 20 minutes the flash program will have crashed - most likely locking the browser. Not so Seamonkey. In fact (just to remind), the icon bottom right (not the lock) but the cable can be clicked for a temp Internet disconnection.

I agree that the default round desktop icons are not easy to differentiate. Tik tok, another minimalist scheme, is much better IMO.

I must admit with Transmission and xchat included, I have no need to go to the PPM but it looks well stocked. Must try LibreOffice which is an SFS - available from Slickpet . . . Smile

I would like to run Openshot and Secondlife as these push the hardware and require the ATI drivers we had in Lucid.
For Openshot we need advanced graphic drivers, XFCE and of course Openshot. Something for the Slacko future

Very much looking forward to the beta. Mick is doing great with sure and steady improvements. Just as Barry is improving the underlying Woof build system and Larry (Playdayz) is having a well earned mental meltdown after an overdose of Lucid Cool

Puppy Linux
Working harder to be easy

Brown Mouse

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug 2011, 07:12    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:

Hi Micko

I installed to a 8gb usb stick and no problem booting with grub4dos both on my desktop machine and Acer Aspire netbook.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug 2011, 08:26    Post subject:  

Installed the 312 as usual, FRUGAL Lin'N'Win.
I activated my application environment and the applications run.

However 312 runs somewhat hot (62°C) with only SeaMonkey running.
From time to time the fan runs.
Compared to 2HD 528 it's runs cooler and the fan runs less, but still pemasu's 5.0.0.5 runs much cooler and almost no fan activity.

Also the battery icon is still blank. Thought that that had been resolved to run correctly now out of the box.
Don't know if the other icons display as designed.
tray-icon-battery-slacko-312.png
 Description   
 Filesize   4.16 KB
 Viewed   615 Time(s)

tray-icon-battery-slacko-312.png

Use peppyy's puppysearch
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug 2011, 09:04    Post subject: Frisbee  

I like Frisbee - seems to work best with my wifi hardware.....

Loaded the Frisbee_beta-2-spup.pet onto 312.37

Seems to work OK**** but I notice that the version of IP-Info called from the Frisbee icon in the tray seems to be different (and the cancel button does not work) to the version from the menu -> system -> ip-info item. see 2 screenshots.

Is there a Frisbee thread where this can be reported?

****edit: Frisbee connection did not survive reboot so it does not work properly - have had to uninstall and revert to sns....

Also, you don't seem to get the usual nice little Frisbee comfort messages to tell you what's happening in 312.37

Cheers
PeeBee
screen2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   46.31 KB
 Viewed   236 Time(s)

screen2.png

screen1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   35.07 KB
 Viewed   208 Time(s)

screen1.png

Last edited by peebee on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 09:40; edited 2 times in total
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug 2011, 09:23    Post subject: Re: Frisbee  

peebee wrote:
I notice that the version of IP-Info called from the Frisbee icon in the tray seems to be different (and the cancel button does not work) to the version from the menu

you nailed it! somethings been buggin me about ipinfo for a while, could not work out what.. Rolling Eyes But that is it.. I don't know enough to say which one is better but clearly there are two, and I can only find /usr/sbin/ipinfo on mine.. must be another one in a frisbee folder somewhere...

EDIT: There is yet another version loaded by PupControl, which has a Help button and a refresh button. Not sure whether or not it includes Tazocs update to show the current hostname (no reboot needed), which should be included in spup, as 01micko sorted the hostname 'issue' in rc.sysinit.

Page 21 of 30 [437 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: