How to burn a Puppy CD from Windows?

Booting, installing, newbie
Josh

How to burn a Puppy CD from Windows?

#1 Post by Josh »

well .... I downloaded 1.0.3, and used directcd to burn it to a cd .... or so I thought ... apparently I did something wrong, cuz it named the CD Linux Bootdisk ( even though it didnt ask me what I wanted to name it ) but it wont do anything when I try to boot from it, and when I explore the disk using windows, it has no information on there .... bad thing is, that was my last CD-R ..... so I guess I'll make a trip to the store after work lol, and pick up some more, so I can try it tonight lol
anyways, if you guys have any great ideas, please please let me know
Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: More info ...

#2 Post by Flash »

Josh wrote:<snip>
I was just gonna burn the software I had already put on the HDD, but the PC I'm putting puppy on doesnt have a disc burner, and when I tried to copy the folder from my jump drive (where I had originally saved it) to another comp. in order to burn it, the only file it would copy was the usr_cram.fs ...
<snip>
You should have only had the .iso file, not the various files that go to make it up. Are you sure you are burning the .iso file as a bootable CD? Since you can't see anything on the CD it sounds like something is wrong. After the iso is used to make a bootable CD, you will then see the various files on the CD.

#3 Post by Guest »

The whole point in that last post was to tell you that I had done something wrong ..... I thought that was obvious :? but anyways, I dont have a program that will burn the .iso file as a bootable cd .... SO I download isobuster from www.isobuster.com ... problem is, I cant figure out what to do with it ..... theres no instructions anywhere in their help files that I can find, and I got it to open the .iso file, but I have no clue what to do with it from there .... theres nothing that I can install, and I tried copying them to my HDD, which did nothing .... I also tried extracting them to my JumpDrive thinking that by changing the BIOS I could just boot off of there, which I could .... but apparently it didnt do it right, because even though the information is there, ( and there by itself) it wont boot. So long story short, I"m getting pretty upset with all this stuff at this point, hopefully after I've done this a time or two I wont have all the problems
On another note, I seem to remember somebody asking me if I had verified the download, and yes, I did. It said it was ok, but I cant get it to work .... HELP!!!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

You've been busy. :lol: Don't worry, you'll get it to work.

There is a free CD burning program for Windows called burnatonce which will burn bootable CDs from a .iso image.

If you absolutely, positively must boot from USB, look in this index under "(Installing on and) Booting from USB."

Josh

Tryin again....

#5 Post by Josh »

Ok, well I found a program called MakeCD from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com
found that right before I came over here, and saw the free one that you posted lol, anyways, I've got that on this comp now, and I'm fixin to burn a disk with it, it says its relatively painless, unfortunately, I've got to redownload puppylinux, cuz I deleted it last night ( I'm on my friends comp until I fix mine, and didnt want to leave unwanted material all over his computer ) but anyways, I'll try that sometime tonight, or in the morning, depending how long this download takes, and keep ya posted. Thanks for all your help

Josh

Update!!!!!!!

#6 Post by Josh »

:D :D :D I just wanted you all to know that not only did I get it to work, I'm using puplinux to fill this out right now!! its a little different then windows, and it'll take some getting used to of course, but once I got it burned to a cd, and booted from it, it works great ... I've saved to the HDD, cuz this is all I plan on using :D :D :D Thanks again :D :D

Josh

oh yea

#7 Post by Josh »

Oh, and P.S. Flash, I had to use that "burnatonce" that you recommended. The one I tried to use wouldnt burn a bootable version even though they advertised it as a program specifically for that ...... hmmmm :? :? Glad I didnt pay for it lol.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it will help someone else and it's nice to know I did some good. :)

Could you add a post to this thread with some detail, such as the settings you used in burnatonce? Thanks.

Stokey

Burning ISO files TO CD via Windows

#9 Post by Stokey »

Go to the Puppy Download page

Tab down to the heading "CD burner software"

Mentioned there is a link to a very easy to use burner and its freeware
Elvis Lives, three-dimensional

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Burning ISO files TO CD via Windows

#10 Post by Flash »

Stokey wrote:Go to the Puppy Download page

Tab down to the heading "CD burner software"

Mentioned there is a link to a very easy to use burner and its freeware
Better late than never, eh? :) Ah, well, as Josh discovered, referrals don't always work out. And, Burnatonce is free too, for home use.

I hoped Josh would take the trouble to give back a little, to help out the next guy.

Stokey

Re: Burning ISO files To CD via Windows

#11 Post by Stokey »

Yes I was a few posts late with my advice

The good thing is Josh fixed his problem and I have learnt of another ISO to CD burner "Burnatonce"

Everyone is a winner which makes the Puppy Forum so special

Thanks Flash
Elvis Lives, three-dimensional

xxsolusxx

#12 Post by xxsolusxx »

Okay.. the download link leads to a directory??

where's this iso I need?

SirDuncan

#13 Post by SirDuncan »

I think your question should have gone on a new thread because this one is really old. It's not a big deal though.

The ISO is located here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... rivers.iso

The MD5 is here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... so.md5.txt

Hope that helps.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

lMatt

#14 Post by lMatt »

I told burnatonce to burn the file "puppy-4.1.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey", which has a burnatonce icon since installing the burner, and it says, "Current project does not match inserted media!"

Can someone tell me what to do from here? Or, better yet, is there a guide on the forum to take me from downloading puppy all the way to booting it up? I can't see this information.

Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

Puppy users have had good success with the free BurnCDCC

ranmaru

#16 Post by ranmaru »

It's a good idea to use re-writable CD's, otherwise you may end up with piles of half-burned unusable CD's. Also every time you upgrade to a new version of Puppy, you can just re-use your CD. (Blank the CD first before reburning).

Here's a link to checking Puppy iso.

This is important, it checks that the file that you downloaded is OK.

Next (assuming the md5sum is Ok) burn your iso to disk.
Occasionally you can get bad burns. If you have a crummy CD burner you may get many, many bad burns before you get a good burn. That's why I suggest using re-writable CD's. (It should say "rewritable" on the package). You will save money and the environment by using these.

You can also check the iso on the CD after you've burned it.... I usually don't go that far...(but it's a good way to check the quality of your burn).

I'm guessing that your problem is that you just have a bad burn and are trying to burn on a CD that is now useless. The problem with regular CD's is that they are "one shot" and then that's it. If the burn was bad, you've got to throw away the disk.

I used a program (around 2 years ago) called infraburner (now called infrarecorder), it's free. Click on "Burn Image".

Once you get your first good CD burned you can just use the burner program that comes with Puppy, for subsequent burns.

Click on the link below (it's really for Ubuntu) but it may help to get you
started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwpFKxwe ... re=related

Happy burning.

rjbrewer

#17 Post by rjbrewer »

My first iso burns were with a 2007 version of "Burn4Free", on a
windows xp computer.
It was easy because of all the burn options the one top- center
said "burn-iso".

Now burn iso to cd in puppy is a piece of cake.

GtkHash by Tuuxxx makes checking Md5sum very easy.