Print problems with Puppy 2.01

Please post any bugs you have found
flynch

Print problems with Puppy 2.01

#1 Post by flynch »

I have an ECS 545 laptop with 256mb ram, 40 GB HD and 1.4 GHZ processor. I was able to print in color using a local usb print connection, and also the TCP remote option to an Epson C44UX printer with Puppy 2.00. I could print from the CD , a usb flash drive and a HD install. It was great! My only problem was I could not get the internal Prism2_usb wifi module to work from the HD install using the linux-wlan-ng dotpup driver provided by Temptetous. The driver worked fine from CD and usb flash drive.

Puppy 2.01 fixed the wifi problem with the HD install. However, now I cannot print using the same printer. I cannot print from CD, usb flash, or HD install.

Has enyone else had this problem?

dewdrop

Re: Print problems with Puppy 2.01

#2 Post by dewdrop »

flynch wrote:I have an ECS 545 laptop with 256mb ram, 40 GB HD and 1.4 GHZ processor. I was able to print in color using a local usb print connection, and also the TCP remote option to an Epson C44UX printer with Puppy 2.00. I could print from the CD , a usb flash drive and a HD install. It was great! My only problem was I could not get the internal Prism2_usb wifi module to work from the HD install using the linux-wlan-ng dotpup driver provided by Temptetous. The driver worked fine from CD and usb flash drive.

Puppy 2.01 fixed the wifi problem with the HD install. However, now I cannot print using the same printer. I cannot print from CD, usb flash, or HD install.

Has enyone else had this problem?
Hi Flynch,

You did not mention anything about using CUPS when you printed with Puppy 2.0.

Please visit this thread on the Forum and see if it might solve your problem with printing in Puppy 2.01.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8673

Specifically, take a look at step 3 of the thread...

Let us know if this helps.

Dewdrop

flynch

CUPS Print in Puppy 2.01

#3 Post by flynch »

Thanks Dewdrop,

I have previously tried to use CUPS in the 1.00 series Puppies without any success.

I did not have to use CUPS in Puppy 2.00. all Ihad to do was to use the setup print wizard to install my printer, and it worked. It even works for TCP/IP remote printing.

If it works in Puppy 2.00 I thought surely it would work in Puppy 2.01.
flynch

flynch

CUPS Print in Puppy 2.01

#4 Post by flynch »

Thanks Dewdrop,

I have previously tried to use CUPS in the 1.00 series Puppies without any success.

I did not have to use CUPS in Puppy 2.00. all Ihad to do was to use the setup print wizard to install my printer, and it worked. It even works for TCP/IP remote printing.

If it works in Puppy 2.00 I thought surely it would work in Puppy 2.01.

It is difficult to believe I am the only one not able to print from Puppy 2.01.
flynch

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

I don't know why you can't print. as far as I recall, all printer-related stuff
is the same as 2.00.

Try a ram-only boot, by the boot parameter "puppy pfix=ram" then go through
the printer setup again, see if that works.

flynch

#6 Post by flynch »

Thanks for the suggestion, Barry.

I tried it frmo direct Cd, HD install and flash drive install. All with the same results. I still am unable to print locally or using TCP/IP as I can in Puppy 2.00.

I Noted that the XPDQ monotoring shows puppy is trying to send data to the printer several times (20 or more). I right clicked on the print job and then clicked on details. The contents of the log are as follows:

Can't locate Socket.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i486-linux/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i486-linux/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .6/i486-linux/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /root/.printjobs/001.interface_send line 4. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /root/.printjobs/001.interface_send line 4.
interface send script exited with nonzero status.

I do not understand this. I am sure you will. Perhaps when you added perl to 2.01 it inadvertently introduced a problem for my particular situation.

Thanks again for taking the time to address my problem.
flynch

fluxit

#7 Post by fluxit »

I have been successful using puppy's lpdq+gs printing solution. The printer setup wizard didn't work for me however, as it doesn't seem to allow you to select a non-local printer.

This is how I configured for my printer:

1. Make symlinks from xxd and mpage to true (#ln -s /bin/true /bin/xxd)
(#ln -s /bin/true /bin/mpage) This allows the use of the included
hp-laserjet-5 driver which "requires" these programs(xxd does duplexing
and mpage does multiple pages per sheet, but they are not included on
the livecd.)

2. Run xpdq. From its menu, Printer->Add Printer. Fill in any single "word"
for the "Printer name:","Location:","Model:" fields(no spaces.) Click
button Next. Select desired print driver(drivers with errors will be
highlighted in red as hp-laserjet-5 will be if step 1 above is not followed.)
Click button Next. Click Next. Select correct port, mine is bsd-lpd. Click
Next. Fill in name or ip of host(if remote) or device name of port (if
local.) Click button Finish. Highlight the printer you just created and
from the menu, Printer->Show errors(there should be none.) Now with
your new printer still highlighted, Printer->Set as default printer.

This procedure works for me under both Puppy 1.07, 1.09CE and Puppy 2.01 running from the livecd. My printer is a Brother HL5040 connected to my 3com router's parallel port. Drivers other than hp-laserjet-5 also worked, but gave poor output quality with my Brother printer.

--Lee

John Doe

#8 Post by John Doe »

I had some trouble printing also, with an EPSOM cx-3200. I had printed before with puppy 1.0.8 so I assumed it was just my error.

I will test soon and post my results.

flynch

#9 Post by flynch »

Thanks Luxit;

I have been doing basically what you suggested all along. I followed your method srep by step with the same results. NO printing.

The standard printer wizard install in Puppy 2.00 works great for me. I can print from CD boot, USB Flash drive boot, or HD install boot, either local printer and also using TCP/IP. It is great!!

However, with Puppy 2.01, I cannot print at all from any boot method. There is something different between Puppy 2.00 and Puppy 2.01. The detail log message I get by clicking on the job seems to show a conflict wit Perl 5.8.6.
( See my last previous post)

I am not a competent programmer, and dare not attempt to remedy this situation.
flynch

fluxit

#10 Post by fluxit »

I just plugged my printer into a usb port and set it up as a Epson c44ux using the print wizard. It did print junk(wrong language for my printer.) No errors occurred on Puppy 2.01.

flynch, what does your /root/.printjobs/001.status contain?

--Lee

flynch

#11 Post by flynch »

fluxit;

Here is the contents of /root/.printjobs/001.status file when trying to print using a eth0 lan connection and TCP remote print using Puppy 2.01. It does not print local, lan, or wireless. I can send you the same file from Puppy 2.00 shortly. Puppy 2.00 prints from local, lan or wireless.

input_filename = {stdin}
invoke_time = {Sat Jun 24 19:16:27 2006}
invoked_by = {lpr}
file_type = {PostScript document text conforming at level 3.0}
status = {sending (try 14)}
job_base = {/root/.printjobs/001}
printer = {remote}
interface = {tcp-port}
driver = {ijs-escp2-c44ux}
language_driver = {postscript}
env_driver = {"JOB_ID" = "001", "FILENAME" = "stdin", "STATUS" = "/root/.printjobs/001.extra_status", "LOGNAME" = "root", "USER" = "root", "PATH" = "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin", "OPTION_1" = "Quality=360dpi", "OPTION_2" = ",MediaType=Plain", "OPTION_3" = "-sProcessColorModel=DeviceGray", "FIX_STAIRCASE" = "YES", "paper" = "letter"}
env_interface = {"JOB_ID" = "001", "FILENAME" = "stdin", "STATUS" = "/root/.printjobs/001.extra_status", "LOGNAME" = "root", "USER" = "root", "PATH" = "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin", "REMOTE_PORT" = "9100", "REMOTE_HOST" = "10.0.1.1"}
flynch

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

flynch,
if you are using the pdq printing system, then perl shouldn't have anything to
do with it.

flynch

#13 Post by flynch »

Barry K,

I am using pdq printing. I am using the print wizard to configure the printer. Printing works great locally, on lan, or wirelessly with TCP. I can print from CD boot, HD install boot, or usb flash install boot with Puppy 2.00.

Printing does not work at all in Puppy 2.01 with the identical laptop, printer and printer wizard install.

The details from the print job status report referred to perl 5.8.6 several times.

I deleted the perl file (folder), but still no print.

I do not know what is wrong. All I know is I can print from Puppy 2.00 with no problems and I cannot print from Puppy 2.01, at all.

I am perfectly happy using Puppy 2.00 from my usb flash drive. I can configure and activate my internal Prism2 module using Tempetuous' linux-wlan-ng dotpup driver on the flash drive. I would just prefer to use the HD install option because of the eventual space limitation of the flash drive.

Puppy 2.01 HD install fixed the wireless prism2 problem I had in Puppy 2.00, but now I can't print from Puppy 2.01.

I know you have more important things to concern yourself with than my seemingly unique little print problem. Please don't spend any more time with this. I am deeply grateful to you for Puppy. It is the greatest Linux distro there is, by far. It contains high quality applications, for every need. It plays DVD movies flawlessly. It is lightning fast, and only 70 MB. It is truly the best thing since sliced bread.

Thanks!!
flynch

fluxit

#14 Post by fluxit »

Barry K,

Excerpt from /etc/pdq/interfaces/tcp-port-2:
send_exec {#!/usr/bin/perl
require 5.002; #stolen from perl documentation
use strict;
use Socket;
my ($remote,$port, $iaddr, $paddr, $proto, $line);

$remote = $ENV{'REMOTE_HOST'} || die "must supply host";
$port = $ENV{'REMOTE_PORT'} || 9100;
if ($port =~ /\D/) { $port = getservbyname($port, 'tcp') }
None of the other interfaces or drivers mention perl.

flynch,

I have been able to duplicate the error that you posted by using the tcp-port interface on Puppy 2.01.

--Lee

flynch

#15 Post by flynch »

Thanks fluxit,

I am glad you were able to duplicate my problem. Perl was modified from puppy 2.00 to puppy 2.01. I suspect that modification inadvertently led to my problem.

My printer works great in puppy 2.00 and does not work at all in puppy 2.01. The printer log indicates a perl problem to me. I do not know what, if anything can be done about it. I will just live with puppy 2.00 on my flash drive on my laptop. It does everything I need.

Thanks again for your help.

fm
flynch

Leon

#16 Post by Leon »

flynch wrote:I am using pdq printing. I am using the print wizard to configure the printer. Printing works great locally, on lan, or wirelessly with TCP. I can print from CD boot, HD install boot, or usb flash install boot with Puppy 2.00.

Printing does not work at all in Puppy 2.01 with the identical laptop, printer and printer wizard install.
I successfully installed and configured the printer driver for my HP LaserJet 4P in Puppy 2.01 without using wizard:

- in Puppy 2.01 pupfile renamed /etc/pdq directory to /etc/pdq_
- copied /etc/pdq directory from Puppy 2.00 pupfile to Puppy 2.01 pupfile

I always install Puppy using frugal install and Grub for DOS 0.4.1 on Windows 98 SE.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

Ah ha, the light comes on!
Yes, it seems you do need perl, and yes Perl has changed since 2.00.
We need Socket.pm, a Perl module.
I got Perl out of Vector 5.1STD.
In Vector, the Perl modules are in /usr/lib/perl5/ ...but where is Socket.pm?
Found it: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i486-linux/Socket.pm
Attached. Put it into that same location, see if pdq works.

Note, it's gzipped, so ungzip it first:
# gunzip Socket.pm.gz

Oh, can't upload it here.
Uploaded it here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... inux/test/

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

Er no, there's more to it than that. Looking more closely in Vector, there is also
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i486-linux/auto/Socket/
and
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i486-linux/IO/Socket.pm

I'm totally unfamiliar with Perl. Anyone knowledgeable about perl who can tell us what we need to grab from Vector?

flynch

#19 Post by flynch »

Thanks Leon,

Following your lead I did the following in my Puppy 2.01 HD install:

1. - Renamed /usr/lib/perl5 to /usr/lib/perl5_

2. - Renamed /usr/bin/perl5.8.6 to /usr/bin/perl5.8.6_

3. - Renamed /etc/pdq as /etc/pdq_

4. - Copied /usr/lib/perl5 from Puppy 2.00 HD install to Puppy 2.01

as /usr/lib/ as perl5

5. - Copied /usr/bin/perl from Puppy 2.00 HD install to Puppy 2.01

as /usr/bin/ as perl

6. - Copied /etc/pdq from Puppy 2.00 HD install to Puppy 2.01

as /etc/pdq

7. - Used printer wizard in Puppy 2.01 HD install to install and configure
my Epson C44UX printer on the TCP port.

8. - The printer now worked without any problems just as it did in
Puppy 2.00!!!!

9. - I went back and deleted the renamed files perl5_, perl5.8.6_ and
pdq_ from my Puppy 2.01 HD install, and my printer still functions
perfectly.

10.- I now have Puppy 2.01 with my Prism2_usb module functioning flawlessly and my printer working over my wireless network.

11. - Somehow the introduction of perl5.8.6 into Puppy 2.01 caused
my apparently unique problem.

12. - Since I do not need perl 5.8.6 for ndiswrapper use (I use linux-wlan-ng for my prism2_usb module), I should be OK now.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.
flynch

Leon

#20 Post by Leon »

flynch wrote:The printer now worked without any problems just as it did in Puppy 2.00!!!!
I'm glad that you solved the problem.