YAY.... got 'blinky' working. Added

Code: Select all

sleep 20
to the beginning of /root/Startup/frisbee-tray
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#222 Post by pemasu »

Dave S. Could you upload your frisbee_tray script so that I can see the actual location where you add the sleep. There is already sleep 1 in one location in the script. Did you just prolong the sleep time in that location ?

And that was good report.

First page updated including detailed information what I have done. Also Ati Catalyst 11.7 pet has been uploaded. Download link in the first page.

Using now fglrx ati driver. CCC works. Keyboard layout change and synaptics settings not.
I think that I start to tinker with synclient cli commands for touchpad, lol.

I have applied squeeze udev package after modification, dont install full version, and other missing keyboard packages without luck so far. Frustrating.

DaveS

#223 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:Dave S. Could you upload your frisbee_tray script so that I can see the actual location where you add the sleep.

sleep 20
set -x
. /usr/local/Frisbee/config

WIFI_IF=`cat /usr/local/Frisbee/interface`

frisbee_tray&
sleep 1

if [ -e /usr/local/Frisbee/iface/$WIFI_IF ] ; then
	killall -SIGCONT frisbee_tray
elif [[ `ls /usr/local/Frisbee/iface/ |wc -l` > 0 ]] ; then
	killall -SIGUSR1 frisbee_tray
fi

pidof dhcpcd
if [[ $? != 0 && ! -e /etc/acpi/disable-wifi ]] ; then
        /usr/local/Frisbee/start-dhcp
fi
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#224 Post by DaveS »

Marco07, I have uploaded the files you need, two sfs files that you put at /mnt/home, and the .pet for the games,

username puppy
password linux

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/games/
Last edited by DaveS on Sat 06 Aug 2011, 16:10, edited 5 times in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#225 Post by pemasu »

Thanks. I test it, but I dont have missing frisbee_tray so I am not the best candidate. I am sure other people have had same problem so your updated script can be useful.

mikeslr

Ati Radeon and other quirks

#226 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu & All,

I'm sorry if this has been covered. I'm only read thru page 10 of this thread and you upto 15.
I have just frugally installed Exprimo 5 version 04. I'm posting via opera on mnt/home, which I haven't even set up to run via menu. My system uses built in Ati Radeon Graphics which, with my monitor, can display at 1600 x 900 x 24. I've had to add "pfix=radeon.modeset=0" to the kernel boot arguments to obtain that resolution. Without that argument the most version 04 would display was 600x460. This was a step-down from versions 01 and 03, which gave me 800x600, but only if I added the modeset argument. I've had to use that argument in Slacko 31 --without it I couldn't create a SaveFile-- but do not have to use it in Iguleder's dpup.
Lupu identifies my graphics as ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics.
Perhaps related to xorg's difficulty Exprimo has with my system is the appearance of black boxes on some programs. Attached is a screenshot of Frisbee after several seconds. When first opened, the space in between the two rectangles was also filled with black. When the dialogue boxes open into which text is to be input, the space into which the text is to be written is also blacked-out, but clears when I begin to type.

More later, as Exprimo is very fast on my system and hopefully will develop to the point where it can replace Lupu as my primary OS.

I would urge the devs to get to the root of Xorg problems with both Ati Radeon and nVidia using recent kernels on fairly recent computers. Those problems present newbies with "show-stoppers." Even for someone like me, having to figure out when, and which, modeset argument is needed to obtain a pleasurable desktop is annoying.

mikesLr
Attachments
black spots.jpg
(57.68 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

pemasu

#227 Post by pemasu »

Mikeslr. I suggest you to update to the 5.X.1 version. 5004 was unlucky woof build. PPM was broken without any reason and heaven knows what else.

About your problems with xorg. Barry Kauler and 01micko have struggled with it, Barry with Drake and 01micko with Slacko and so far real solutions have not been found.

I dont have knowledge - ability to fix it my self. I can only try test different methods to get it working better. I am no coder to try to edit xwin - xorgwizard - xorgwizard-automatic scripts. Sorry.

To tame new xorg is probably the biggest challenge.

marco07

#228 Post by marco07 »

Jim1911 wrote:
marco07 wrote: Dave S, Thank you!
I am definitely interested. please post!
I used to have Aisle riot with other pemasu's puppies from PPM. But unfortunatel, this is non-existant in debian repo. I look forward to have yours installed.
TIA
The fine gnome-games-lite by ttuuxxx is much smaller, it has Aisleriot and is available here. It works fine in all of pemasu's derivatives. Choose dpup version for this one, uj for his others, if you use spup, 01micko has adapted it also and you will find it on his site.
Thank you Jim1911! This is good to know.

marco07

#229 Post by marco07 »

DaveS wrote:Marco07, I have uploaded the files you need, two sfs files that you put at /mnt/home, and the .pet for the games, but just now I can no longer access the server to give you the address. Will add it here as soon as it comes back on line.
Thank you! its appreciated.

stu90

Re: Ati Radeon and other quirks

#230 Post by stu90 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi pemasu & All,

I'm sorry if this has been covered. I'm only read thru page 10 of this thread and you upto 15.
I have just frugally installed Exprimo 5 version 04. I'm posting via opera on mnt/home, which I haven't even set up to run via menu. My system uses built in Ati Radeon Graphics which, with my monitor, can display at 1600 x 900 x 24. I've had to add "pfix=radeon.modeset=0" to the kernel boot arguments to obtain that resolution. Without that argument the most version 04 would display was 600x460. This was a step-down from versions 01 and 03, which gave me 800x600, but only if I added the modeset argument. I've had to use that argument in Slacko 31 --without it I couldn't create a SaveFile-- but do not have to use it in Iguleder's dpup.
Lupu identifies my graphics as ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics.
Perhaps related to xorg's difficulty Exprimo has with my system is the appearance of black boxes on some programs. Attached is a screenshot of Frisbee after several seconds. When first opened, the space in between the two rectangles was also filled with black. When the dialogue boxes open into which text is to be input, the space into which the text is to be written is also blacked-out, but clears when I begin to type.

More later, as Exprimo is very fast on my system and hopefully will develop to the point where it can replace Lupu as my primary OS.

I would urge the devs to get to the root of Xorg problems with both Ati Radeon and nVidia using recent kernels on fairly recent computers. Those problems present newbies with "show-stoppers." Even for someone like me, having to figure out when, and which, modeset argument is needed to obtain a pleasurable desktop is annoying.

mikesLr
Hi mikesLr,
If you have time and space could you try my D-Lite puppy build http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70547
it is up to date dpup and kernel but with a different xorg_base package - i suffered the same problems with dpup and i remember you posting in the squeezed bug thread - this build is working ok for me auto detecting driver and with out any special boot parameters, so hopefully this should fix xorg problems.

sorry for thread hijack Pemasu :oops:

pemasu

#231 Post by pemasu »

First small victory for me. I got stubborn xorg.conf to be generated with fglrx driver so that it took my spesifications for fglrx and other sections included.

What it took. First I installed ATI Catalyst 11.7 pet. My pet has depmod -a and modprobe fglrx in pinstall.sh. Next to prompt and aticonfig --initial. I run xorgwizard and chose fglrx xorg driver. Next to X. I had fglrx loaded and CCC launched ok to be sure that fglrx was loaded. And I had that short xorg.conf with only aticonfig --initial script generated and some other sections into it. No synaptics loaded and no way to change keyboard layout to finnish.

But...I have /etc/X11/xorg.conf.ATI_ATOMBIOSSAMSUNG file which works as template. Some of Barrys templates had created it. So I copied needed sections from my lucid puplet into it, saved and then just restarted X.

Voila !!!! The generated xorg.conf had those sections included and I have fully functional xorg.conf now.

Keyboard layout was finnish and xorg xkb gui started.
Flsynclient worked since synaptics and synclient were loaded.

Screenshot added to document my succes and also my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.ATI_ATOMBIOSSAMSUNG if somebody wants to try. With other driver you have another template created in /etc/X11/ but my version has sections which enabled the keyboard layout section and synaptics section so someone might benefit to study it. Remove the phony .gz

If you just copy my template to your build, it is probably not used. Somehow the Barrys scripts generates the needed template for every driver which will be used as template to add sections to to the xorg.conf file. Xorg.conf will be regenerated every time you boot to the X with xwin or autoboot to the X.
Attachments
xorg.conf.ATI_ATOMBIOSSAMSUNG.gz
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 05 Aug 2011, 18:54, edited 3 times in total.

pemasu

#232 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. No, you dont hijack. I try to be stubborn and face with my limited skills the xorg problem.

Please post your working solutions and guide them to your thread. It helps me a lot if there is another solution to offer.

I think that all these dpup builds belongs to the same family with their own modifications.

Comparing the results and different solutions is helpful to the users.

DaveS

#233 Post by DaveS »

marco07 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:
marco07 wrote: Dave S, Thank you!
I am definitely interested. please post!
I used to have Aisle riot with other pemasu's puppies from PPM. But unfortunatel, this is non-existant in debian repo. I look forward to have yours installed.
TIA
The fine gnome-games-lite by ttuuxxx is much smaller, it has Aisleriot and is available here. It works fine in all of pemasu's derivatives. Choose dpup version for this one, uj for his others, if you use spup, 01micko has adapted it also and you will find it on his site.
Put them here for you http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 478#550478
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

peebee

vattery

#234 Post by peebee »

vattery starts to work for me if i replace "unknown" with "yes" in 1vattery in startup.

I think this is because there is no word "unknown" in my battery state file:

/proc/acpi/battery/C23B/state which contains:

present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charged
present rate:            0 mA
remaining capacity:      2726 mAh
present voltage:         12345 mV
Attachments
vatteryworking.png
(16.87 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
Last edited by peebee on Fri 05 Aug 2011, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

DaveS

#235 Post by DaveS »

YAY........ a fix for Vattery :) Works for me also thanks
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

marco07

#236 Post by marco07 »

DaveS wrote:
marco07 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:The fine gnome-games-lite by ttuuxxx is much smaller, it has Aisleriot and is available here. It works fine in all of pemasu's derivatives. Choose dpup version for this one, uj for his others, if you use spup, 01micko has adapted it also and you will find it on his site.
Put them here for you http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 478#550478
Thanks!

pemasu

#237 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. Nice find. The original usage of that grep | unknown is that ibam does not work if battery discharge rate is unknown. But..it seems that there are also other parameters which makes ibam to seqfault.

My previous suggestion to leave only shebang row and exec vattery-acpitool should have worked also.

To get more accurate result with Vattery there is vattery-ibam binary also, it gets more accurate when you drain your battery couple of times. Thats how I have read from fluppy thread.

I have modified /root/.config/vattery-ibam/config and /root/.config/vattery-acpitool/config files so that suspend to ram should be run when battery state is critical. you can change also warning and critical percent levels by editing those files.

Anyway, the original 1vattery script has problems with ibam still.
If you use that yes, then the script disables practically always the vattery-ibam launching which should have been disabled by that simple script.
Parameter unknown clearly does not detect all batteries which does not work with vattery-ibam.

Anyway....using yes as default change means that the script could be only exec vattery-acpitool.
Ok. I am repeating myself...Me...out.
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 05 Aug 2011, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.1

#238 Post by Billtoo »

Between gnome games and kdegames there's a lot available but it took quite a while to download in puppy package manager.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(35.49 KiB) Downloaded 698 times

marco07

#239 Post by marco07 »

I finally installed, manual frugal, Expriomo 5.X.1 this evening on my Thinkpad R60 laptop.. I have been fiddling with it for a couple of hours now. Everything is responsive so far. I have some minor issues:
-fonts in seamonkey are quite small and pale. Even zooming is not much of help.
-resuming from sleep sends me into terminal. I got out of it by typing startx.
- I tried to install Kmymoney, however, did not proceed with the installation thru PPM, due to a large number of dependencies (380 MB).
- I also wished to install Libre Office, but could not locate it in the PPM.
I am sure the above are not significant issues and are all resolvable. Aside from these the system is fast and pretty responsive. I am also using the Enlightment desktop and have to do some learning. It seems to be a handy desktop environment once you get hang of it.
Suggestions regarding above issues are appreciated.

jim3630

#240 Post by jim3630 »

marco07 wrote: - I also wished to install Libre Office, but could not locate it in the PPM.
I am sure the above are not significant issues and are all resolvable. Aside from these the system is fast and pretty responsive. I am also using the Enlightment desktop and have to do some learning. It seems to be a handy desktop environment once you get hang of it.
Suggestions regarding above issues are appreciated.
marco07 few pages back are outline I used to install Libre Office 4.3.1. using puppizard script and 07pets. Iguleder has new puppizard 08 pet now.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69248