Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 09:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to save to Savefile only on demand in Puppy 5.2
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mechanic_Kharkov

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug 2011, 19:17    Post subject:  

2 Sylvander:
1. I think it's not a good idea to hardcoded deleting the .XLOADED file. If everything is ok with X - maybe. But if something going wrong, then this prompt helps to bypass X starting. I know that there is ability to use pfix=nox, but standard prompt seems to be more finger-saving technology (less typing required) Smile

2. It really does. It thinks that it's still on flash in some mystic way. But it's not my own fault [or glory]. Yes, I really edited a little some configuration files on CD, but there was nothing about savefile location. I have just add a key to forcing ACPI usage - it's necessary to powerdown correctly on my board, and add a notification about ACPI is forced to boot.msg file ("Just wait 5 seconds for normal startup (note that acpi is forced)").
Now the "isolinux.cfg" file contents such settings:
Code:
label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd acpi=force

There is no flash references in boot config files on CD. The reference is still maybe somewhere inside pupsave file itself. Maybe the cause is last saving of pupsave file under alive X. So, pupmode=13 is still active (it's exactly correct, because the prompt on shutdown inserted to case 13 only, and it appears anyway).
Btw, while trying to save pupsave file from command line (/usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /initrd/pup_ro1 /initrd/pup_rw) with X inactive I've got some "file is locked" conditions. So it does not work while some processes are still running. And I really have no idea neither which ones exactly nor how to stop them.
So, next step is trying to burn onto CD pupsave file after correct shutdown with session saved on exit. Awaiting for save completion (now it still saves. about 30 minutes were already passed).

Thanks for remastering ISO file manual too. I did not know how to do it under linux, and used UltraISO under windows.

SimpleWater wrote:
I used this method, and works nice, but not guaranteed. It does save on certain situations. I think restarting X is one of them.

I have a bit strange situation with the file laying on CD (read-only CD-ROM), but with saving abilities also activated. So if any saving would be tried to perform then the system must raise some writing error message [or simply hang-up]. But nothing like that was detected even when restarting X many times. So, it seems that the X restarting is not an accidental save cause.

backi

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 06:44    Post subject:  

Hi folks !
Tried several options .(mochi mopel--)
Somehow after installing a pet file then shutdown without saving (with mochimopels script) previous installed pet file still saved ,despite shutdown
without saving.(this occurs alwasy after installing programms either pet or deb files)
Other changes (for example a text file) where not saved.
what is that ?
Same effect- result with sylvanders change of the rc.shutdown.

then tried reversed action ,deleting the program(previous installed pet or deb files) manually (during session) then -shutdown without save.but now the " no save" option did work. These files still where there despite deleting during session.
Strange behaviour.
My saveintervalls are set to =0.
Does anybody know a simple way to choose save or not to save at shutdown .
I also used pupsavecinfig pet similar results.
I am using macpup 525- lucid- puppy 529- and dpupexprimo on USB stick.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 07:17    Post subject:  

1. All of my Puppies are each loaded using a "live" CD-RW, with the pupsave+SFS filepair...
Either on an ext3 partition on a Flash Drive, or else on an ext3 partition on an internal HDD...

2. And a file included in the ISO has had a configuration setting changed...
So that the pupsave on the HDD is treated as though a pupsave on a Flash Drive->[GREAT feature].

3. Not all of my Puppies [at least 1 doesn't] have feature 2 working, even when the necessary change has been made. Sad
Don't know why.
Page 3 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: