Audacity 1.2.6 for Wary

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
nubc

Audacity 1.2.6 for Wary

#1 Post by nubc »

Please make a .pet of Audacity 1.2.6 for Wary (5.1.1), or direct me to a repo where I can get it. I have used mhWaveEdit for recording audio from the soundcard. This app requires an inconvenient physical connection between Speaker Out and Line In, which means you can't listen to what's being played. I suspect that, eventually, constantly connecting and disconnecting the ports on the sound card will cause them to wear out. It's a dreaded bore that I must silently monitor all the way through a track, at least once, to set the mixer (input levels) properly, which is a waste of time. Most importantly, I cannot overcome the white noise/static that is present in the final outcome. Audacity does not require a physical connection on the sound card. The end result does not have white noise or static. I would also suggest that there be another app in Puppy, in addition to mhWaveEdit, that performs sound card data stream capture in the same manner (caching?) as Audacity . Thanks

Audacity for GNU/Linux:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/linux

compile Audacity from source code:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/source#recdown

forum help for compiling Audacity:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=19
Last edited by nubc on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

don570

audacity

#2 Post by don570 »

Try these links

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/audacity/sh ... %3A25%3A03

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

I guess the OP got satisfied or him on travel or something.

I barely get what one are supposed to do after clicking on that link.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nubc

#4 Post by nubc »

I want Audacity 1.2.6, the latest stable version. The above link is for Audacity 1.3.12-f, which is beta. I'm still here, and I need Audacity 1.2.6 for Wary 5.1.1, as a .pet. The last time I compiled anything was modem drivers for Mandrake 9. Compiling is not a task I relish.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

nubc , the forum is just that a forum of volunteer people helping each other out.

It is not a demand machine to force a Developer to provide things.

It is about give and take. If everybody only want to make use of others contribution then those who contribute start to feel drained and stop contributing.

Contributing has to be fun and feel good not something that is demanded.

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

Please make a .pet of Audacity 1.2.6 for Wary (5.1.1)
That's not a demand. This is the REQUESTS section for Additional Software.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 919#419635
preach (def) to exhort in an officious or tiresome manner. ["tiresome" as in repetitious]
hijacking a thread (def) when someone purposely transforms the OP topic into an off-topic mode in continuance posts to intentionally steal the thread and thus shows disrespect and causes unworthy off-topic disruptions.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Then I apology. I am bad at reading tones in English. I did think you demanded this I apology. Requests is even in CAPITALS here
Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
So I made a complete fool of myself. I do apology!
Do go on with your legit REQUESTS

disciple

Re: Audacity 1.2.6 for Wary

#8 Post by disciple »

nubc wrote:Please make a .pet of Audacity 1.2.6 for Wary (5.1.1), or direct me to a repo where I can get it. I have used mhWaveEdit for recording audio from the soundcard. This app requires an inconvenient physical connection between Speaker Out and Line In, which means you can't listen to what's being played.
Eh?
What do you require that cable for exactly? Are you trying to record sounds playing on your computer in another program? You can do that by selecting "Mix" as your capture device in alsamixer or retrovol or whatever your mixer application is. It works perfectly with mhWaveEdit (i.e. I just tested, and I can listen as it records). Perhaps you need to change the settings in mhWaveEdit. Try these settings:
Edit->Preferences->Sound->Driver = Alsa
Edit->Preferences->Sound->Driver->Settings->Playback device = default
Edit->Preferences->Sound->Driver->Settings->Recording device = default
I would also suggest that there be another app in Puppy, in addition to mhWaveEdit, that performs sound card data stream capture in the same manner (caching?) as Audacity .
Anyway, in most cases you would be better off transcoding directly from the original file or stream to the format that you want, rather than converting it at 1x speed to the default output ALSA format, recording that (possibly into another slightly different format) and then later converting it into the format that you actually want.
Last edited by disciple on Sat 06 Aug 2011, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

I want Audacity 1.2.6, the latest stable version. The above link is for Audacity 1.3.12-f, which is beta.
Personally I would recommend using the audacity betas, but you can do what you want. I haven't used the latest betas, but I've been using the older ones for years with no problem.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nubc

#10 Post by nubc »

@ disciple
I'll give it a try, working with mhWaveEdit without a physical feedback loop, but I couldn't figure it out before. If you could describe your settings in detail, I might catch something I missed before. I'm encouraged that you say it can be done. I wonder if success depends on having a specially capable sound card?

disciple

#11 Post by disciple »

I wonder if success depends on having a specially capable sound card?
Oh, yes, it looks like that could potentially be your problem - I just saw someone mention that Audacity also has a "software playthrough" option in addition to the "hardware playthrough" option. Do you know if you have been using "software playthrough" in Audacity? I thought pretty much all soundcards support hardware playthrough, but I could be wrong.
If that is the problem, there would be other ways around it, but installing audacity is probably quicker and easier.
If you could describe your settings in detail, I might catch something I missed before.
I think they are just what I already detailed, plus check in the mixer that all the relevant volumes are up and nothing is muted.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

I won't be creating a PET of Audacity, as it uses the wxWidgets library, at least, I don't think that I ever will.

But, Wary has 'Sweep' in the repo, a sound recorder/editor, have you tried that?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

nubc

#13 Post by nubc »

Installed sweep with package manager.
Missing library: libsamplerate

Code: Select all

# sweep
sweep: error while loading shared libraries: libsamplerate.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
EDIT: Grabbed the symlink (libsamplerate.so.0) and library (libsamplerate.so.0.1.1) off Classic Pup 2.14X. Sweep is working now.
Last edited by nubc on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:57, edited 4 times in total.

disciple

#14 Post by disciple »

Are you still waiting for an audacity package? There are a number of them around, so people might not be inclined to create another new package of an antiquated version, especially given the ridiculous lack of compatibility between different wxwidgets packages.

BTW the main reason why I would not use the "stable" audacity is that if you do have some sort of failure with it you can't easily recover your recording like you can with the newer betas.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nubc

#15 Post by nubc »

Since you say there are advantages to using the newer beta versions of Audacity, I don't have a problem with using them. Yes, I still want Audacity for Wary 5.1.1. As I mentioned above, I dread the tedium and loss of productivity when I capture stream off the sound card, so I have been putting off efforts. I'll get around to it soon, when I find a stopping place in my routine project.