Solution to server download limits for new Puppies?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
technosaurus

down vote on auto networking

#21 Post by technosaurus »

auto networking would be acceptable as a first run script for apps requiring net access, but as it is puppy is a very secure platform
having it autorun on every boot is not necessary for all users

imho a "first run" script on net apps is a good compromise (does't windows do something like that... its been a while)

purple_ghost

Dial up users and Torrents.

#22 Post by purple_ghost »

I have never tried Torrents as I am on Dial Up. I could receive them, I would not want to send them back out.

The two public (home) Broadband sellers here in Salt Lake city, Utah would surely hassle Torrents users. Comcast used to block them. While nationally Comcast may now say they will play nice, I could not bet on it.

I would be pretty sure there is a way for me to configure Torrents to be a receive only, it is not worth hours of my life to figure it out. Just if you are going to get newbies to use Torrents while on Dial Up, then you need to make it easy.
Google Search of Forum: http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Bruce B

#23 Post by Bruce B »

Sounds good to me purple_ghost.

Torrents are innocent, data is data right? Well, some of the ‘ruling elite’ don’t think so. You are suspect, even guilty because of the torrent, in the minds of the very influential movie and recording industry.

Fortunately, the official Puppy files are on FTP servers and most Puppy enthusiasts host HTTP servers.

wget -c url
should make downloading big files on dialup easier and more feasible.

Also, people could offer the service of distributing CD Disc with a particular Puppy version + kernel + devx + official pet files for a reasonable fee or even for free, because it costs less than a dollar to make and mail a CD. I think I’d rather offer it for free in the US over setting up payments for a few discs a months. One bounced check isn’t worth the bother.

What do you think? Do you want a CD?

~

sickgut

#24 Post by sickgut »

How many Puppys are downloaded every month does anyone have a number?
Even if you pay for a VPS with 150gb data limit, this is only $3.95 a month

www.fusevps.com

Im sure that the puppy community can afford to pay for a server, one official one. We need an estimation of used bandwidth for a month, then set about renting one or multiple virtual servers. And also create an official torrent.

Whoever vounteers to pay for the server initially could recieve reimbursment via a paypal merchant account and accept donations that will go into paying for the server(s) on a continual basis. Hey whoever is willing to do this may actually make a buck or 2 as well and so they should for the time and effort put into it.

Some places offer a TB of data for a nominal fee, if puppy is 100mb then this will allow for 10,000 downloads. Now what if one in 100 people actually donated $2? it would pay for itself very easily with more to spare.

Then there are companies who would love to advertise.
I see comments on chat and on the forum all jumping at the oppertunity to donate to barry.... fair enough but maybe if there was one decent official puppy community supported download server, users should be encouraged to donate half and half, to the server fund and then to barry. Is barry in this for the money? Do you think he would prefer that his OS be more freely available than making top dollar? Hell, making the OS more freely available would get more users onboard and even if donations where split between barry and the server fund, he is not getting a pay cut.

think big picture. puppy is here to stay.

p310don

#25 Post by p310don »

How many Puppys are downloaded every month does anyone have a number?

Nope, not really. I created a torrent for slacko 5.30 when it came out, and have shared it 80 times in exactly two months, from 26/10/2011 to 26/12/2011.

I don't know what percentage of users are using torrent, but I bet its around 1%. In round figures, that's 5gig per month torrented by me only, multiply by 100, and then multiply by the number of puppies out there. That number could get pretty huge.

But as you suggest sickgut, if the cost were distributed, it would be pretty minor. The biggest package on that site you suggested is $55 per month. I'm sure there'd be 55 people on here who'd donate one dollar a month to share puppy.