Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#1121 Post by bigpup »

The things a simple bug fix version are bringing to light! :shock:

Thank you Playdayz for making this new version of Lucid Puppy possible :D

And from us the users.
Thanks to you all, who are feeding the fixes to Playdayz!!!!!!!!!!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

pemasu

#1122 Post by pemasu »

I also want to thank Playdayz of this huge work which has been more than just plain update.

Also giving people some more time has revealed many things which need attention.

Thank you of all your hard work.

str4y

Re: Man command - A fix?

#1123 Post by str4y »

Snail wrote:Sorry, this is a bit of a "thread hijack" but because I first raised the issue here I thought it might be an acceptable way of catching the eye of some "gun" script coder to properly finish what seems as if it should be a very simple fix, if only I could get my head around BASH.
I hear ya.. I was reared on BASIC, FORTRAN, Pascal (the best to learn 1ST actually) and then K&R C -- none of which are anything near as cryptic as BASH! But lately I've been delving in.
Snail wrote: However, the recent, evil habit of Flash making the browser spew ..
Yet another in the long line of things wrong with Flash.. I'm rather dismayed that at some point in recent Pups, a dialog comes up and recommends its automated retrieval of some recent Flash, as there needs to be equal time/thought given to the alternative, HTML5 in conjunction with Ogg video, which does all the same things but are open source and don't inexplicably eat up all your processor and overheat your innocent hardware. Yes, this is a subject for other threads that I don't have time to search for now, but I figured I may as well add on to the already typically sprawling thread here.
Snail wrote: No one has responded to this thread yet so I Googled and hacked /usr/bin/pman by adding

Code: Select all

2>null &
to the last line. The line now reads:

exec $HTMLVIEWER "http://www.google.com/search?&q=man+"${NAME}"+site:linux.die.net&btnI=Search" 2>null &
Here's where my hackles are raised.. from my oldschool UNIX past, one of the 1st things I find myself doing in a linux is typing man <something> at the CLI. So I've always been bummed that Puppy basically just cut it all out, leaving the duties to the --help arg. And being homeless, I infrequently have net access and find bothersome this always-connected presumption that goes on (along the lines of the phoning-home liberties taken by so many thuggish software makers) .. it would be just as simple to just queue everything needed from the net, so that one's needed docs and packages could be dutifully gotten upon connection (upon notification to and approval from the user.) So this is now a ranting on about the PPM as well-- what you get when you type 70wpm and have pent up issues! Also important is the fact that Google is shaping up to be quite the Big Brother entity, the reason for which I don't use them-- (and they even have the gall to use "do no evil" as a PR phrase, swell.) How about a defaultsearchengine file which I can set to https://duckduckgo.com (or should I even trust them?)

What I would really like to see is incorporation of ttuuxxx's version of man, which he posted in a .pet (in wow-i-forget-what thread and it's hard to search on such a generic word..).. it's the closest to the old, locally-served man page functionality of my old UNIX V world..

Thanks for all the continuing work on this great distro!
--
www.playogg.org - politics I can agree with: stallman.org

rerwin

#1124 Post by rerwin »

To whomever maintains pupradio:

I selected "WA-FM Karratha", which paused awhile and then played well. I listened maybe half a minute. But when I checked the xerrs.log I discovered over a hundred thousand error messages from it! Here iis the edited log:
(gtkdialog3:13718): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.0/gobject/gsignal.c:3079: signal name `depressed' is invalid for instance `0x8566e70'
killall: xmessage: no process killed
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing mms://audio.wafm.com.au/.
STREAM_ASF, URL: mms://audio.wafm.com.au/
Resolving audio.wafm.com.au for AF_INET...
Connecting to server audio.wafm.com.au[202.41.193.241]: 1755...
connection timeout
Connecting to server audio.wafm.com.au[202.41.193.241]: 80...
Connecting to server audio.wafm.com.au[202.41.193.241]: 80...
Cache size set to 64 KBytes

Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)

[ REPEATED 44722 TIMES! ] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)

Cache fill: 12.50% (8192 bytes)

[ REPEATED 60598 TIMES! ] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Cache fill: 12.50% (8192 bytes)
ASF file format detected.
[asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
Clip info:
title: wafm
comments: Todays Best Mix Of New Music & Rock
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 64.0 kbit/4.17% (ratio: 8001->192000)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
==========================================================================
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:524708.3 (145:45:08.3) of 1844674428928.0 (512409563:35:28.0) ??,?% 3% [J

[ REPEATED 653 TIMES! ] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A:524725.4 (145:45:25.4) of 1844674428928.0 (512409563:35:28.0) 9.7% 12% [J

MPlayer interrupted by signal 15 in module: play_audio
A:524725.4 (145:45:25.4) of 1844674428928.0 (512409563:35:28.0) 9.7% 12% [J

Exiting... (Quit)
killall: xmessage: no process killed
Fortunately, the log is in /tmp, so does not fill up the pupsave file. But eventually /tmp will run out of space and cause who-knows-what. Maybe it's not a showstopper for lupu, but is definitely user-unfriendly, if it locks things up. This is to get this behavior "on the record".
Richard

bigpup

#1125 Post by bigpup »

To whomever maintains pupradio:
That would be 01micko.
YaPI(any iso installer)

DaveS

#1126 Post by DaveS »

Here is a great theme: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 484#549484 (includes .pet to download).

Includes matching GTK and JWM themes. Will get on Openbox shortly :)

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bigpup

#1127 Post by bigpup »

5.2.6rc
Frugal + save file

Just noticed something.
Idle not doing anything.
Every few seconds the hard drive light comes on and goes out.
Could Puppy Event Manager be causing this?

Edit:
Does seem to have an affect if turned off.
Attachments
Puppy event manager.jpg
(66.12 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#1128 Post by 01micko »

rerwin wrote:To whomever maintains pupradio:

I selected "WA-FM Karratha", which paused awhile and then played well. I listened maybe half a minute. But when I checked the xerrs.log I discovered over a hundred thousand error messages from it! Here iis the edited log:
[snip]

Fortunately, the log is in /tmp, so does not fill up the pupsave file. But eventually /tmp will run out of space and cause who-knows-what. Maybe it's not a showstopper for lupu, but is definitely user-unfriendly, if it locks things up. This is to get this behavior "on the record".
Richard
Thanks for heads-up Richard

It seems to be an mplayer issue. I could send the output of mplayer (stdout and stderr) to /dev/null as a "fix". Onto it.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

#1129 Post by Sage »

Pupradio:
- had endless problems with it, but very difficult to quantify as drop-outs, etc can also be due to the InterWeb, ISP and some stations. Gotradio.com seems fireproof and, for Brits (coming soon - the world), BBC iPlayer. Midori seems more stable and reliable with streaming content, Mozilla offerings least so. Pundits predict that all broadcasting will eventually be IP. Frankly, despite the cuts, repeats and jingles imposed by government and arty-farty 'executives', man-with-short-wave-radio tuned to WorldService will remain king for the forseeable. For Africa, James Dyson gave them wind-up and solar radio. [Whatever happened to the wind-up PC? And solar-powered ARM devices could well be viable?] Apart from which, the pictures are better on radio...

Atle

This is such great news

#1130 Post by Atle »

Updated Lucid? Best news since Lucid came.

Just have a little suggestion. In various places around the forum, you can find links to various VERY useful .pet(?), like the one that lets you use your Ethernet to share your Wlan connection and also the one that gives you Hiawatha/PHP/MySQL in one pacage. I bet here are others that can mention several more of these "hidden treasures" in Puppy Forum.

So the suggestion is... Could one add another "tab" to QuickPet, whereas some of these very smart and useful .pet's can be "collected" and come to use?

I feel a bit sorry for those that are missing out on this stuff, and if I need them, I need to search and search in the forum.

Here is my two favorites:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37520

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58982

I am under the impression that the QuickPet, would be by far more awesome, if these Pets where organized and presented???

Any one agree :lol:

playdayz

#1131 Post by playdayz »

But when I checked the xerrs.log I discovered over a hundred thousand error messages from it! Here iis the edited log:
It seems to be an mplayer issue.

01micko
, The message also occurs in 5.2.5. *However* if one selects the preferred player as gnome-mplayer (rather than mplayer) then there are no messages in xerrs.log. I have found this also to be the case with the vdpau message. Gnome-mplayer does not throw it all all, but mplayer throws it once when it starts to play. So here is another possible "fix" just set gnome-mplayer as the default and only player (or VLC of course if it is installed). Probably gnome-mplayer is just nulling those messages anyway. I wonder if mplayer *expects* the front end to null them. The ones I saw were notifications instead of "error" messages.

It does take a while to start playing--gnome-mplayer gives a visual reading of what is happening--the cache is taking a while to fill.

<add> I just listened to WA-FM for over an hour with no dropouts or skips and no messages in xerrs.log--with gnome-mplayer as the preferred player. *Except* when I Quit PupRadio gnome-mplayer was left on screen not responding.

But here's a new game for anyone who wants to play. As I have said ;-) one message into xerrs.log is not a concern, but repeated messages such as rerwin describes are a problem because they can slow down the computer and even expand xerrs.log to a ridiculous size. Open /tmp/xerrs.log and see what's there. Then close it. Then start a program, do something with it, then close it. Then open xerrs.log again and see if there are any repeated messages. One or two repetitions is not a concern, but a bunch are. The program I found yesterday that was doing this is pprocess, so you might first experiment with pprocess and see what one version of the problem looks like. Or with pupradio. Someone might also want to check if Lucid 5.2.5 has the same problem with pupradio. 5.2.5 *does* have the same problem with pprocess. We have a later gtkdialog3 in 526 and we also have the i686 ffmpeg libraries instead of the i386 in 525--conceivably either of those could be the culprit. If a few of us do this testing we will be able to say that not only do Lucid programs not crash and jeopardize data, but they do not throw excessive messages into xerrs.log either.

We have a little time for this now. Since we are upgrading udev I think we have to test another luci before our final RC. Udev looks good so far in my testing, but I don't have very exotic hardware. And we certainly expect that the new udev will do 2 things: 1) make some hardware work better or at all with Lucid, and 2) make Lucid EZ-Woof a better platform for Puppy derivatives.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 18:02, edited 4 times in total.

playdayz

#1132 Post by playdayz »

Just have a little suggestion. In various places around the forum, you can find links to various VERY useful .pet(?), like the one that lets you use your Ethernet to share your Wlan connection and also the one that gives you Hiawatha/PHP/MySQL in one pacage. I bet here are others that can mention several more of these "hidden treasures" in Puppy Forum.
If people can nominate their favorite pets and then someone can collect them, then I can feature that collected list in LupuNews. This doesn't necessarily need to be done before release because I can update LupuNews anytime.

DaveS

#1133 Post by DaveS »

Those following Bary's blog will know the latest Woof has an overlay system for drive icons with a close button. See here: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02360

I made a .pet for this for those wanting to use it in earlier distros. I have tested it in Spup and This version of Lucid with no problems. Please test
After installing, reload your icon theme via menu>desktop>icon switcher to activate
Attachments
overlay.pet
(19.96 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
overlays.png
(18.39 KiB) Downloaded 1210 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rerwin

#1134 Post by rerwin »

01micko wrote:It seems to be an mplayer issue. I could send the output of mplayer (stdout and stderr) to /dev/null as a "fix". Onto it.
Thanks for looking into the logging issue. I see that mplayer takes these options, which might solve the problem.
-quiet
Display less output and status messages.
-really-quiet
Display even less output and status messages.
My concern with sending everything to /dev/null is that important messages would be lost. We want true error messages (but not repetitiously), just not status and debug messages. Maybe those options provide that discrimination. However, I see that that might be difficult given the way pupradio is coded. Those options may impact other players if used for all. Maybe the variable that is used to execute the player could be expanded to include player-specific arguments.

The mplayer man page describes mplayer as quite versatile. I would hate to see it dropped because of inconsiderate behavior.
Richard

EDIT: Interestingly, gnome-mplayer has these options:
-v, --verbose
Show more ouput on the console
--reallyverbose
Show even more output on the console
It apparently defaults to really-quiet and requires action to turn on the messages. That seems how it should be done. So, adding the "-really-quiet" option to the invocation of mplayer would then have it match gnome-mplayer's behavior.
R

Brown Mouse

#1135 Post by Brown Mouse »

DaveS wrote:Those following Bary's blog will know the latest Woof has an overlay system for drive icons with a close button. See here: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02360

I made a .pet for this for those wanting to use it in earlier distros. I have tested it in Spup and This version of Lucid with no problems. Please test
After installing, reload your icon theme via menu>desktop>icon switcher to activate
I installed this to 525 and cant seem to get it to work as it should.It unmounts things like usb flash drives by the methods detailed(clicking on the X) but I have not yet got it to unmount a mounted partition drive without right clicking and using the 'unmount.sdaxx' method.

playdayz

#1136 Post by playdayz »

DaveS is a busy bee.

The theme is very pretty. Small too, so there is no problem adding it. I am going to remove some of the blocky old themes such as emacs, Raleigh, default, etc.

The drive icon overlay also seems to be working. Just to make sure I understand, what the overlay does is to put an X on drives that are mounted--so the X indicates that they are mounted and also gives a one-click way to unmount them.

No, maybe I have it wrong. Clicking on the X doesn't seem to unmount them--it just opens the drive..

Ah, Once I rebooted the X started unmounting the drive. it seems to be operating correctly in the devel version I am using.

Someday we are going to have to stop adding great ideas and stomping nasty bugs. I think it will all come together very soon now. But I still think we need another luci to test these improvements.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 02 Aug 2011, 21:08, edited 4 times in total.

pemasu

#1137 Post by pemasu »

Dave S. Barry runs this script in delayedrun. It calls pngoverlay after X is started. No need to update icons.

#110727 temporary hack (i hope)...
  #/usr/sbin/icon_switcher_cli is called from /etc/rc.d/rc.update, uses 'pngoverlay' to create overlay desktop icons.
  #however, pngoverlay requires X to be running. so, do that part here...
  if [ -f /usr/sbin/pngoverlay -a -e /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/closebox_outline48.png ];then #overlay app created by vovchik (see source /usr/sbin/pngoverlay.bac)
   rm -f /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/*_mntd*.png 2>/dev/null
   cd /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
   cp -f /usr/sbin/pngoverlay /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/ #dumb, but needs to be in same folder.
   for ONEDRV in card drive floppy optical usbdrv
   do
    ./pngoverlay ${ONEDRV}48.png closebox_outline48.png ${ONEDRV}_mntd48.png #background foreground output.
    ./pngoverlay ${ONEDRV}48.png locked_outline48.png ${ONEDRV}_mntd_boot48.png
   done
   rm -f /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/pngoverlay
   cd /root
  fi

pemasu

#1138 Post by pemasu »

I think there are some needed icons missing also. In the pet I mean.

Brown Mouse

#1139 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:
Ah, Once I rebooted the X started unmounting the drive. it seems to be operating correctly in the devel version I am using.

I tried a reboot before reporting this but no joy.

James C

#1140 Post by James C »

Brown Mouse wrote:
playdayz wrote:

I tried a reboot before reporting this but no joy.

Same problem here in 526, clicking on the"X" opens a Rox window instead of unmounting the partition. I've restarted X and rebooted and reselected the icon set..... no change.

The new theme pet works fine though.