/usr vs /root/usr, /mnt/hda1 vs /initrd/mnt/dev_save etc.

Booting, installing, newbie
fitzhugh

/usr vs /root/usr, /mnt/hda1 vs /initrd/mnt/dev_save etc.

#1 Post by fitzhugh »

I'm confused by the fact that I find identically named directories (sometimes hidden as .whatever) at different levels. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem ... y_Standard which helps, but I'm still confused a bit.

In particular, what is the difference between /mnt/home and /initrd/mnt/dev_save? From the wikipedia article on initrd I understand what initrd is, but only loosly... I don't understand how it breaks down into all the seperate directories.

Thanks
Fitzhugh

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

/mnt/home is a link to initrd/mnt/dev_save. We were used to having mnt/home but in Puppy2 (due to it's structure) the drive was mounted on dev_save, so barry added the link.

Concerning the Filesystem Heirarchy Standard, You might want to follow the link in the sticky on the Beginners forum, which is very educational. However, Puppy2 is very unique in its structure and it probably does not conform with the standard!

As for the hidden .usr, it's something in Puppy1 (I think it's not in 2, since it's equivalent is /initrd/mnt/pup_rw)), which is where the changes to /usr are actually saved (has to do with the unionfs business).

I think the best thing to do is read Barry's "How Puppy Works" page...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

MU

#3 Post by MU »

Puppy1:
/usr is write-protected, as Puppy is a CD based system.
To be able to write to it, you need a writable folder: /root/.usr

This folder is merged with /usr via unionfs.
So you can write to /usr , though it is write-protected.
Mark

fitzhugh

Thank you for the quick, clear answers

#4 Post by fitzhugh »

That makes it much clearer. I'd actually missed the stickies - didn't notice the difference and so they blended in with the long long list of other posts, though they were right in front of my face. I think today will be spent on a reading binge. I'll go make some tea to get my brain going in preperation.

Thank you!
Fitzhugh :D