Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1101 Post by playdayz »

pemasu, I assume you used the udev from Ubuntu? I notice there is a lucid 10.04 update for udev. I am going to try that. Is there anything you have discovered that might help me? Thanks.

In case anyone would like to follow, my first thoguht was to use the Ubuntu Lucid-update version of udev, but oh my, that seems to be a big mess--with a lot of files that seem to me might conflict with similar files in Lucid puppy.

Now I am looking to see what version of udev is Barry's latest.

In both or either of those cases, rerwin's changes would overwrite what was in the udev package, so that might be OK after all.

More to come.

rerwin

#1102 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
In both or either of those cases, rerwin's changes would overwrite what was in the udev package
I don't think my changes would replace anything in udev. However, the links would still be used, because the rules in /etc/udev/rules.d take precedence over those in /lib/udev/rules.d, but they would just run the same rules. Also, the rules are not part of the udev (151) package, so my workaround is independent of udev itself.
Richard

Sylvander

#1103 Post by Sylvander »

1. Running Lupu-526, and used it to update the lupusave of Lupu-525.

2. All seems to be working well. :D 8)
Haven't noticed any faults/flaws.

rerwin

#1104 Post by rerwin »

Sage wrote:rerwin:
Your question is something every upgrader needs to know.
- care to advise on precautions relating to FULL installation upgrades, please?
I can speak only regarding the "update" process. The same update is done for full installations as for pupsave files. That includes copying all new-puppy files into the full installation.

Since the upgrade would simply be additive (except, now, for deletion of some old puppy-modprobe and modem files), some residue of past versions of apps could be left around. I think the same precaution applies -- uninstall all apps that you know are being upgraded in the new puppy. I would expect a new app version to read an old retained-data file or to adapt to retained-data changes between versions.

To clarify the terms: "Upgrade" means the replacement of puppy into an existing pupsave or full-installation environment. "Updating" is the process of merging the new puppy files into an existing environment.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 17:36, edited 2 times in total.

Jim1911

#1105 Post by Jim1911 »

Please provide the latest NVIDIA-Linux-280.13 driver in 5.2.7, otherwise please provide a link to the kernel source so that we can install the driver.

Thanks,
Jim

playdayz

#1106 Post by playdayz »

I made a luci-268 with udev 151-12.3 from Ubuntu Lucid-upgrade and it booted. That is a good first step. Upgrading would be good for reasons pemasu mentioned *if* it can be done expeditiously and safely.

Now, I need to know how to handle the rules. The ubu udev comes with a bunch of rules in /lib/udev/rules.d. I will attach a screen shot.

Option 1. Delete them all and let the Puppy rules rule ;-) The new udev would look in both places, and that was the problem as I udnerstand it--the old udev not looking in the new place. Therefore no symlinks would be necessary. Do I have this right?

Option 2. Leave the ubu rules. There are certainly a lot more rules than Puppy has. I could arrange it so that the Puppy rules would overwrite any ubu rules. This would be much more complicated than option 1.

I am now going to pursue Option 1 and see what I get.
Attachments
ubu-rules.png
(98.48 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1107 Post by playdayz »

Essentially, the updater will not delete your old app versions, which should override the newer versions.

If I am understanding this.
What good is an update of the save file?
The whole purpose of upgrading is to get the newer version, of a program, with the bug fix.
BTW rerwin, This seems like a good question to me also? I think you may be talking about old apps that were installed with a pet???

pemasu

#1108 Post by pemasu »

I have used ubuntu repo udev, not the one from ubuntu updates. Eventhough I tested several builds with both repos enabled. But the problem was that many packages had duplicates and it was a mess to remove the older ones.
Also ubuntu update packages broke the X. I couldnt boot to the X.

Code: Select all

yes|udev|udev|exe,dev>null,doc,nls
>>>> udev_151-12_i386.deb
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

#1109 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:Option 1. Delete them all and let the Puppy rules rule ;-) The new udev would look in both places, and that was the problem as I udnerstand it--the old udev not looking in the new place. Therefore no symlinks would be necessary. Do I have this right?

Option 2. Leave the ubu rules. There are certainly a lot more rules than Puppy has. I could arrange it so that the Puppy rules would overwrite any ubu rules. This would be much more complicated than option 1.
I do not believe there is a conflict in the rules files. Both puppy's and ubuntu's rules files can be retained, unless there is a reason to remove any of them. If there happens to be a match in file names between puppy's and ubuntu's, just rename the puppy file to avoid conflict. If I am missing such a conflict, please tell me.

If we go with the new udev, then please ignore my workaround package. Do not include the symlinks in lupu, but the rc.update files are there if you need them to restore the 526RC versions.
Richard

playdayz

#1110 Post by playdayz »

I do not believe there is a conflict in the rules files. Both puppy's and ubuntu's rules files can be retained, unless there is a reason to remove any of them. If there happens to be a match in file names between puppy's and ubuntu's, just rename the puppy file to avoid conflict.
Well, I went with Option 1. The result was that /etc/udev/rules.d and /lib/udev/rules.d look exactly as they do in Lupu-526. I regard that as a good thing. I will attach a screenie.

Now, the question, is it worth putting the ubu rules back in? And if so, how do I rename any conflicts? With a higher number? This is more complicated but if it would result in a better Lucid I can give it a go.

Thanks pemasu. The ubu update udev boots OK. There is also a udev_lib that I don't see in your entry, but maybe you had that in a separate entry. (I updated both udev and libudev0 (udev_lib).)
If we go with the new udev, then please ignore my workaround package. Do not include the symlinks in lupu, but the rc.update files are there if you need them to restore the 526RC versions.

I tried the update udev option first so the rc.updates should be OK. I will check of course.
Attachments
option1.png
(136.9 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 18:05, edited 3 times in total.

rerwin

#1111 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:
Essentially, the updater will not delete your old app versions, which should override the newer versions.

If I am understanding this.
What good is an update of the save file?
The whole purpose of upgrading is to get the newer version, of a program, with the bug fix.
BTW rerwin, This seems like a good question to me also? I think you may be talking about old apps that were installed with a pet???
Yes, I am referring to puppy apps that the user may have updated from a .pet. (for example, pfind).

The updater is concerned only about ensuring that the correct (new) versions of puppy components are retained. If a puppy component exists in a pupsave or full installation, it will be replaced in the pupsave/full-install by the new version. In the past, as I assessed the code, the entire set of new components got copied into the pupsave! My changes ensure that that is done only if there is already an old version there (or signs that it was deleted), so as to avoid bloating the pupsave file.

Anyway, that is my take on how upgrading works. Anyone, please correct me if I have it wrong.
Richard

rerwin

#1112 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:Now, the question, is it worth putting the ubu rules back in? And if so, how do I rename any conflicts? With a higher number? This is more complicated but if it would result in a better Lucid I can give it a go.
I am still confused about what you mean by a conflict. There is no duplication of file names nor functionality implied by the text parts of the names. The initial numbers in the file names do not have to be unique. They are there merely to affect the order they are processed by udev.

The only reason, so far, I am aware of for assigning a particular number to the name is to have the rules be processed either before or after the normal loading of modules, which is done in rule files starting with "50". The numbers would also be important to control the relative order of related rules. But the rules I have seen seem not to depend on processing sequence.
Richard

playdayz

#1113 Post by playdayz »

I am still confused about what you mean by a conflict. There is no duplication of file names nor functionality implied by the text parts of the names.
Sorry. I haven't gone through them one by one to look for conflicts. Since you have gone through and found no conflicts I assume from your question that you think it would be a good thing to include the ubu rules? If so, it will be done. No problem.

Also, to confirm, the rc.update and remove_obsolete_files that we want are the ones you sent me yesterday in a pm?

Sage

#1114 Post by Sage »

Richard: many thanks for your comments and apologies for my sloppy terminology (not an IT professional by trade!).

rerwin

#1115 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:Also, to confirm, the rc.update and remove_obsolete_files that we want are the ones you sent me yesterday in a pm?
Yes, rc.update_fix-4.

That restores the 526RC version of rc.update and has the version of the file remover that deletes the now-unnecessary "40-" link to the usb_modeswitch rules file in /lib/udev/rules.d.

Thanks for verifying this, after all the chaos about it. And thanks for going with the ubuntu version of udev.
Richard

playdayz

#1116 Post by playdayz »

I did my usual setup of a remote smbc printer to my XP box.Got the attached error when I tried to print....

The solution is to make the following symlink
Code:
ln -s /lib/libreadline.so.6.1 /usr/lib/libreadline.so.5

But I have no idea why 526 requires this but 525 does not.

Thanks rcrsn51

Confirmed - that fixes it.
There are already links from so.5 to so.6 and then from so.6 to so.6.1 so I am puzzled also.

This new link from so.5 to so.6.1 will replace the current one from so.5 to so.6. I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. Thanks.

rcrsn51

#1117 Post by rcrsn51 »

playdayz wrote:There are already links from so.5 to so.6 and then from so.6 to so.6.1 so I am puzzled also.

This new link from so.5 to so.6.1 will replace the current one from so.5 to so.6. I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. Thanks.
Careful. This required link goes from /usr/lib to /lib.

CUPS uses smbclient to access WIndows shared printers. Smbclient has libreadline.so.5 as a dependency, which used to be served by the version in /lib. In 526, CUPS now wants to see it in /usr/lib.

rerwin

#1118 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
I see that one of the obsolete modeswitch rules files is still in /etc/udev/rules.d. Could you remove 41-usb_modeswitch-puppy.rules?

It handles two modems still not in the official data base. If there is need for that support -- if someone requests it -- I would implement the rules in a way more consistent with the current modeswitch function.

Thanks.
Richard

playdayz

#1119 Post by playdayz »

Careful. This required link goes from /usr/lib to /lib.

Thank you. Got it.
I see that one of the obsolete modeswitch rules files is still in /etc/udev/rules.d. Could you remove 41-usb_modeswitch-puppy.rules?
Got it, unless it is sneaking back in through the back door ;-)
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

VDPAU/xerrs.log

#1120 Post by Béèm »

playdayz,
Thank you for your elaborate reply on the VDPAU/xerrs.log.
I was indeed afraid, that slow down could occur.
I'll restart X more often and I am looking forward to 5.2.7
Thank you for your efforts in developing Lucid.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]