SOLVED: Brother MFC6800: Can't install

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
ogobot

SOLVED: Brother MFC6800: Can't install

#1 Post by ogobot »

Can anyone help with installing a Brother MFC6800 printer in Puppy? It's the only one that isn't native to the puppy drivers list. The procedures I managed to find in the forum only return errors when I try them in the console. I'm just a software consumer type and really can't do anything outside of a GUI. I'm not competent in the console environment.

Maybe there's a more current, highly detailed procedure that I have missed?

Note I downloaded the packages from the Brother website and tried just running them like any other Pet. Of course it didn't work. Have I jammed up my OS now?

Thanks very much.

brian
Last edited by ogobot on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have uploaded printer and scanner driver PETs for your MFC-6800 here.

ogobot

#3 Post by ogobot »

RCRSN:

You just blew my mind. I had given up and posted that request as a final desperate/hopeless act. Did you just whip that up or was it somewhere out there and I missed it? I've been all over the Brother Linux support section and considered it a complete strike-out.

Thank you VERY much for the assistance.

brian

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Did the driver work?

ogobot

#5 Post by ogobot »

But of course. I just ran the package and the MFC6800 was right there in the printer manager list. It was beautiful.

brian

ogobot

#6 Post by ogobot »

Follow-up for all concerned. Don't believe it has anything to do with the driver, as the test page runs fine, as does a word processor (gnome) document, but the whole thing blew up when I tried to print out of my browser (Opera 11). Looks like the frames caused some confusion. Actually choked the driver, but I resolved it by deleting and reinstalling the printer. (error message was the the printer was busy rejecting jobs, but it never let go). This is no biggie to me - assume it's most likely something in Opera that needs tweaking. Guess I should try Firefox and see if I get the same behavior, but I do so prefer Opera.

BTW, the Puppy version I'm using is 525.

Thanks again

brian

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Somebody else had trouble with printing in Opera. IIRC, they solved it by turning off some feature like Fit to Screen. I have never had problems printing out of Firefox.

BTW, could you please edit the title of your first post to say "Solved".

ogobot

#8 Post by ogobot »

I'll give Firefox a go-look-see.

I have prefixed the original post with "SOLVED"

Thanks again.

brian

faithful

Thanks, onece again

#9 Post by faithful »

m printing
Thanks, the pet worked and I'm printing
John