Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 04:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
ISpup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2011, 07:45    Post subject:  

restart X can be done by hitting CTRL-ALT-Backspace and typing xwin.
Use peppyy's puppysearch
TLM

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:21    Post subject:  

Béèm wrote:

I have also found that typing startx ofrstartxfce4 works too, but xwin is the what the prompt tells you while you are dropped to the shell.

Last edited by TLM on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 17:22; edited 1 time in total
Tman

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2011, 14:08    Post subject: ..
Subject description: ..

TLM,

I am downloading your pup at this moment, out of curiousity. QuirkyNOP-120 was my favourite during my initial months of exposure to puppy linux. I found it to be very stable and it also had more of a Windows feel to it than other pups, which helped make the transistion easier. I made a remastered version myself but then went it in favour of IceWM-based puplets.

If it is anything like Quirky-NOP, your puplet should be very stable and also good for newbies.

davids45 wrote:
But I could not try this with ISpup because I could not find a "restart X" button. Is there one somewhere? ...

I remember having a problem with that; what I did was made an icon on the quicklaunch bar. The command I used was restartwm

EDIT:

I have tried it for about half an hour or so. Stability seems good so far. One recommendation would be to reorganize the desktop icons so they don't look so scattered. Xfce is capable of displaying multiple launchbars that aren't too difficult to configure. They also have an auto-hide feature.
A sample pic is provided for your consideration. Please note that I wanted to quickly make multiple launch bars as an example so, my launchbars don't actually work. I just made the links to the pics and did not enter any executable commands or descriptions.
ISpup sample pic.jpeg
 Description   xfce multiple quicklaunch sample
 Filesize   65.47 KB
 Viewed   1581 Time(s)

ISpup sample pic.jpeg

TLM

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2011, 16:51    Post subject:
Subject description: restart-X?

davids45 wrote:
G'day,

I have made a Frugal install of your ISpup to see what it is like. Once I could get it fully installed, ISpup has been running very well. I could add my usual pets and sfs packages with no crashes or faults.

My desktop has a troublesome ATI graphics card (using the radeon driver) which stops working before shut-down completes so I can not create a Save file (black screen) using the Universal Installer. As I found with the lucid-based Pups which also give black screens on this desktop, I can make an empty Save file (e.g. qrky-ispup.2fS) and move this into the ISpup subdirectory which after re-booting, is used to save my computer's settings. After this, I still get a black screen as soon as I hit 'reboot' but session data is not lost.

To fix this loss of graphics during shut-down with lucid pups, I install the proprietary ATI Catalyst driver and restart X to replace the radeon driver that seems to be my problem.

But I could not try this with ISpup because I could not find a "restart X" button. Is there one somewhere?

And I'd like to change the generic icon on the defaultemail I dragged to the desktop from /usr/local/bin to an email png or xpm but clicking on the desktop icon does not give a change-icon button. Other desktop icons are fine but not this one.

And is there a way to arrange the desktop icons automatically? I've manually dragged them all to where I think they look nice but I'd like to know if there is a different way to do this.

Thank you for sharing your Pup with us.

David S.

Hi David,
If you want to change the icon of defaultemail, you will need to create a .desktop file. This will also place it in the start menu. I have created one:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Default-Email
Icon=stock_xfburn-import-session
Comment=Opens default email application
Exec=/usr/local/bin/defaultemail
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Internet;X-Internet
GenericName=Default-Email

Copy and paste the above code into Mousepad text editor (in your Utility category in the start menu) and then save it to the following directory /usr/share/applications
You will have to enter a name for the file when saving it before you click the Save button. I used the name Default-Email

You can then change the icon by either right clicking and going to Properties, or use Open With Mousepad and changing the Icon= line. Once you have your desired icon set, you can then drag it to the desktop, or right click and Send To the desktop. The Send To option creates a link, whereas dragging it will copy the launcher itself onto your desktop. Either method will work just fine. I prefer dragging them to my desktop since the Send To option creates a link with a green arrow mark on the icon, which i find unattractive.
TLM

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2011, 17:01    Post subject: Re: ..
Subject description: ..

Tman wrote:
TLM,

I am downloading your pup at this moment, out of curiousity. QuirkyNOP-120 was my favourite during my initial months of exposure to puppy linux. I found it to be very stable and it also had more of a Windows feel to it than other pups, which helped make the transistion easier. I made a remastered version myself but then went it in favour of IceWM-based puplets.

If it is anything like Quirky-NOP, your puplet should be very stable and also good for newbies.

davids45 wrote:
But I could not try this with ISpup because I could not find a "restart X" button. Is there one somewhere? ...

I remember having a problem with that; what I did was made an icon on the quicklaunch bar. The command I used was restartwm

EDIT:

I have tried it for about half an hour or so. Stability seems good so far. One recommendation would be to reorganize the desktop icons so they don't look so scattered. Xfce is capable of displaying multiple launchbars that aren't too difficult to configure. They also have an auto-hide feature.
A sample pic is provided for your consideration. Please note that I wanted to quickly make multiple launch bars as an example so, my launchbars don't actually work. I just made the links to the pics and did not enter any executable commands or descriptions.

Yes, Thank you. I have only placed what I thought were the essential icons on the desktop to enable the enduser to get connected to the Internet and configure a firewall, etc. Everyone is going to want their icons arranged differently, so I am leaving that up to the enduser.

The restartwm is a good idea. I am already considering releasing another version with a few tweaks. I could put a restart window manager launcher in the panel, or just add it to the shutdown launcher i already have there.
davids45

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul 2011, 07:22    Post subject:  

G'day all,

Thanks for the above advice re no restartx button, and how best to re-start X.

Ctrl-Alt-backspace gave the expected black screen (dead graphics, no text) but still running computer. Typing 'xwin' blindly to the black screen restored the graphics - just like with Lucid, etc on this computer.
So I'll try installing the ATI Catalyst pet/driver, type Ctrl-Alt-backspace and then 'xwin' see how it goes.

Re the hard-to-change defaultemail desktop icon, I'll try your .desktop to bring up my emails on the Seamonkey I like, running as it does from another partition. If not, I'll just do what I did for the browser so I could use the off-partition Seamonky for that too.

David S.
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul 2011, 07:58    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'll try your .desktop to bring up my emails on the Seamonkey I like

Wouldn't waste time on an email client that's part of a suite - none of them are much cop. Try Sylpheed or the more developed branch Claws. There is a .pet (sdomewhere?!) for Eudora OSE - the choice of the professionals.
davids45

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2011, 07:34    Post subject:
Subject description: Mail icon fixed but ATI driver install not successful

G'day Sage,

Sorry but I don't or can't agree with your comment in regard to mail packages.

I have found the Netscape/Mozilla/Seamonkey suite's mail quite adequate over the last ten or more years and as a result, have a substantial email archive that I like to keep readily reachable. I could not see when I have briefly looked, that Sylpheed can import these, that it can share an existing profile or mail directory with Seamonkey, and doubt it can share e-mails with Windows (which I have an occasional need to run). And I use Seamonkey's accompanying browser and html editor when needed.

It's the 'devil I know' and am used to.

Which reminds me to mention, I have been able to set up my Seamonkey mail using the suggested .desktop file technique so it has a preferred "mail" desktop icon and runs from my data partition.

I tried to fix the graphics screen "death" during shut-down on this computer by installing the lucid ATI proprietary pet but this did not succeed. The computer (ISpup) is still using the radeon driver - however, not a big problem, as once ISpup has a working Save file, lack of signal during shut down or dropping to an invisible prompt has been tolerable. I guess that's another 'devil I'm getting to know".

David S.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2011, 23:56    Post subject:  

TLM wrote:
Béèm wrote:

I have also found that typing startx ofrstartxfce4 works too, but xwin is the what the prompt tells you while you are dropped to the shell.

Quirky NOP is something I've been working on since it was released so I have a few things that might be useful, there should be a script in /usr/bin/ called " restartwm "

to restart x I added a menu entry, just create a file in /usr/share/applications/ called " xfce4-RestartWM.desktop " and paste this code

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=restartwm
Icon=system-restart.png
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Categories=X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
Name=Restart X
Comment=Restart Xfce Desktop

then in /etc/xdg/menus/ edit the " xfce-applications.menu " and add " <Filename>xfce4-RestartWM.desktop</Filename> " to the X-Xfce-Toplevel category layout and save it.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">

<Menu>
    <Name>Xfce</Name>

<DefaultAppDirs/>
    <DefaultDirectoryDirs/>

<Include>
        <Category>X-Xfce-Toplevel</Category>
    </Include>

<Layout>
        <Filename>xfce4-run-program.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>
        <Menuname>Settings</Menuname>
        <Menuname>Puppy Setup</Menuname>
        <Separator/>
        <Merge type="all"/>
        <Separator/>
        <Filename>xfce4-help.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-logout.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-RestartWM.desktop</Filename>
    </Layout>

here is the icon I used, you can use one of your own , just change it in the xfce4-RestartWM.desktop file to suit

hope this if useful

Geoffrey
restartx.png
 Description   
 Filesize   5.92 KB
 Viewed   1199 Time(s)

restartx.png

system-restart.png
 Description   copy this icon to /usr/share/icons/ or anywhere else it will be found in the path will do
 Filesize   5.1 KB
 Viewed   1255 Time(s)

system-restart.png

Last edited by Geoffrey on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 09:31; edited 1 time in total
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug 2011, 00:22    Post subject:  

Here is another tweak that I have mentioned before else where, a new " .gtkrc-2.0 " file in /root
This will make those ugly icon text on the desktop transparent
Code:
# dummy panel gtk settings to allow color setting in gtkrc files

style "panel"   
{
   font_name      = "DejaVu Sans 11"
}
widget_class "*Panel*" style "panel"

# this is the new part for transparent icon text box

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

style "sbstyle"
{
}
widget_class "*Scrollbar*"         style "sbstyle"
class "*Scrollbar*"                style "sbstyle"
widget_class "*GtkScale*"          style "sbstyle"
class "*GtkScale*"                 style "sbstyle"
widget_class "*GtkProgress*"       style "sbstyle"
class "*GtkProgress*"              style "sbstyle"

style "menubar"   
{
}
class "*MenuBar*"   style "menubar"
widget_class "*MenuBar.*" style "menubar"

style "theme-menu"   
{
}
class "GtkMenu"   style "theme-menu"

style "menu-item"   
{
}
widget_class "*MenuItem.*"   style "menu-item"
class "GtkMenuItem"      style "menu-item"
class "GtkTearoffMenuItem"   style "menu-item"
class "GtkImageMenuItem"   style "menu-item"
icon_text.png
 Description   
 Filesize   11.58 KB
 Viewed   1199 Time(s)

icon_text.png

raffy

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2011, 21:09    Post subject: ISpup working in Fusion APU  

ISpup works in AMD Fusion APU E-350. What is the secret? Smile

I have attached the Xorg files in the Slacko discussion.

May I request for a battery PET for ISpup? XFCE is still foreign to me. Embarassed

Thanks a lot for this fun puplet!

TLM

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2011, 21:54    Post subject: Re: ISpup working in Fusion APU  

raffy wrote:
ISpup works in AMD Fusion APU E-350. What is the secret? Smile

I have attached the Xorg files in the Slacko discussion.

May I request for a battery PET for ISpup? XFCE is still foreign to me. Embarassed

Thanks a lot for this fun puplet!

Hi, glad it is working ok for you. If you are referring to a battery monitor, there is already one built in for XFCE. Just right click on the XFCE panel (taskbar) and select the Add New Items option. A list will come up and there is a battery monitor you can add to the panel. You may also right click on any item in the panel and select Move to move the items around where you want them.
TLM

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2011, 21:56    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
Here is another tweak that I have mentioned before else where, a new " .gtkrc-2.0 " file in /root
This will make those ugly icon text on the desktop transparent
Code:
# dummy panel gtk settings to allow color setting in gtkrc files

style "panel"   
{
   font_name      = "DejaVu Sans 11"
}
widget_class "*Panel*" style "panel"

# this is the new part for transparent icon text box

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

style "sbstyle"
{
}
widget_class "*Scrollbar*"         style "sbstyle"
class "*Scrollbar*"                style "sbstyle"
widget_class "*GtkScale*"          style "sbstyle"
class "*GtkScale*"                 style "sbstyle"
widget_class "*GtkProgress*"       style "sbstyle"
class "*GtkProgress*"              style "sbstyle"

style "menubar"   
{
}
class "*MenuBar*"   style "menubar"
widget_class "*MenuBar.*" style "menubar"

style "theme-menu"   
{
}
class "GtkMenu"   style "theme-menu"

style "menu-item"   
{
}
widget_class "*MenuItem.*"   style "menu-item"
class "GtkMenuItem"      style "menu-item"
class "GtkTearoffMenuItem"   style "menu-item"
class "GtkImageMenuItem"   style "menu-item"

Thanks Geoffrey for all the tweaks. I have become too busy right now to compile any revised ISOs for ISpup, however when I do have time, I will include your input and give credit. Thank you for your feedback.
russoodle

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:18    Post subject:  

Thank you, TLM....it's quite a fast little pup!

Contradictory to this statement of yours:
Quote:
Those Up and Down green arrows in the panel? Totally unnecessary but quirky feature. Download it to see what they do Very Happy

..for me, they are a welcome and effective addition for the slot-loading dvd-rw drive on my now-puppified iMac - very handy, so thanks for those Smile

TLM

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 23:43    Post subject:  

russoodle wrote:
Thank you, TLM....it's quite a fast little pup!

Contradictory to this statement of yours:
Quote:
Those Up and Down green arrows in the panel? Totally unnecessary but quirky feature. Download it to see what they do Very Happy

..for me, they are a welcome and effective addition for the slot-loading dvd-rw drive on my now-puppified iMac - very handy, so thanks for those Smile

Glad you like. I always find them useful for laptops where that little eject button is very hard to hit sometimes. Of course the close cd function does not work on laptop.
Page 2 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: