Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#721 Post by bigpup »

tempestuous wrote:
bigpup wrote:The one big problem:
I can not get on the internet with this new whatever device because Puppy does not see it
bigpup, we need to see your "lspci -n" output.
This was not a statement about me.
It was a general statement about posts I have read lately by people trying to run Puppy on new latest hardware.
Just trying to confirm to Playdayz the need for better driver support for new hardware.
Tempestuous, you are doing an excellent job of providing that support by the way!!

In general I see problems being posted, in the beginners section of the forum and they are using a device they just purchased. You can tell their problem is driver support for that new hardware.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#722 Post by playdayz »

But my orinoco-firmware package was packaged to be included in a remastered ISO; the firmware is stored as a tarball, ready to be uncompressed when the associated kernel module is loaded for the first time.
This is a legacy of older Puppies:- back when there was a separate "zdrv" file. As rerwin said, this policy is probably no longer of much value, and you might as well uncompress the orinoco firmware and locate it directly in /lib/firmware ...
Thanks tempestuous. That is what I did (uncompress the orinoco firmware and locate it directly in /lib/firmware). That should be OK then. I see now where I got confused. Thanks much for your help and patience.

playdayz

#723 Post by playdayz »

Having installed Seamonkey, I used the above utility to remove Sylpheed. (I cannot check if it worked because pfind seems to be broken, see above post)

The utility listed bogofilter and gtk as dependencies for Sylpheen. However, after deleting Sylpheed (I assume it worked). I restarted the utility and looked for bogofilter. It wasn't there in the dropdown list? Should it be?

I also saw Bacon listed. Surely that would be in the dev sfs? (I haven't got any dev sfs on this machine). Again, without pfind I can't check to see if it's there!
By above utility, you mean Pfind? It does not do any good to remove Sylpheed (or any other program). They wills til be in the luci sfs so there is no savings in space. If youw ant to make it disappear, you can delete the /usr/share/applications/sylpheed.desktop file. You can also edit /usr/local/bin/defaultmail and comment out sylpheed and remove the comment before seamonkey if you install seamonkey, or add whatever mail program you install.

Bacon Recorder is present. The Bacon compiler is in the devx but there is a Bacon runtime in the sfs.

Pfind. I believe the problem is that you must click the box that says No Files Found - OK before anything else can happen.

playdayz

#724 Post by playdayz »

Luci-266 is now a *Beta*. The next version will be the RC.

playdayz

#725 Post by playdayz »

If you do not refresh page online.
The other tabs do this:

News - Opens ///usr/share/doc/index.html

Tweaks - tries to go to ///usr/share/doc/index2.html (page not found error).
Got it. Lazy me.

Those are some wild backgrounds! Wow. Who made all those? futwerk, I see. But what the heck, how do I download them? It seems like that ought to be easy.

http://puppy.b0x.me/gallery/index.php?fID=8&page=1

smokey01

#726 Post by smokey01 »

Click on the image,
then click on the arrow in the top right corner to expand
then right click and save image as

playdayz

#727 Post by playdayz »

click on the arrow in the top right corner to expand
Thanks, duh.

peebee

#728 Post by peebee »

For some reason unknown I was unable to get a wifi connection using either SNS or Network Wizard after I had updated from luci265 to luci266 - I've loaded Frisbee from the built-in installer and this seems to have cured the problem (and also means I can disable "stay connected"). The problem seemed to maybe be that luci266 was trying to connect to other foreign wifi signals in my vicinity.

I'm seeing a strange entry for screenshotbrowser.sh in the Change Default Browser tool.

Cheers
PB
Attachments
screen.png
(33 KiB) Downloaded 854 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bigpup

#729 Post by bigpup »

New version of Gparted out
Also some info about problems if you compile a certain way.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#730 Post by bigpup »

Luci266
frugal + save
I'm seeing a strange entry for screenshotbrowser.sh in the Change Default Browser tool.
Also if you click on it
The browse icon on the desktop now opens screenshotbrowser.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#731 Post by bigpup »

Probably too late, but would be a nice update for resize pupsave.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65519

ttuuxxx's pet here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 447#501447

In action:
Attachments
Resize Pupsave.jpg
(51.81 KiB) Downloaded 862 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

Gnome-Mplayer

#732 Post by gcmartin »

Would this improve the enclosed Multimedia player experience?
Is this too big to be included. (in my case it would stop my PPM Xine to get this experience.)

Hope this helps

ASRI éducation

#733 Post by ASRI éducation »

bigpup wrote:Probably too late, but would be a nice update for resize pupsave.
Thanks bigpup.
The improvement of the script must be added to the future 526!

playdayz

#734 Post by playdayz »

Would this improve the enclosed Multimedia player experience?
He said that in 520 there were no transport buttons. I am seeing transport buttons in 266.

Bigpup, The pup save resize looks good. Thanks for recommending it.

shinobar

firstrun-1.8.4

#735 Post by shinobar »

Sorry to be late to upload. The firstrun-1.8.4pet is the latest and the one built in the Wary-511-01q.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58312

I am not sure it is compatible or not with luci.
You may need to edit /root/Startup/fullstart.

As for the HOSTNME variable as gcmartin pointed out, the problem is the ROX-Term do not read /etc/profile...
The urxvt reads /etc/profile.

CHANGES from v1.4:
# 24dec10 v1.5: avoid @euro.UTF-8, same language at the top of the list
# 29dec10 v1.6: detection of xvesa resolution
# 31dec10 : Do not translate tooltip-text "Choose main language"
# 4jan11 v1.7: read Xorg driver name from xorg.conf or from /var/log/Xorg.0.log
# : fix change_xrandr, CLOCKFLICKER, 'us' keymap near the top
# 12jan11 v1.8: no sandbox for Xvesa, Switching Xvesa to Xorg
# 21jan11 v1.8.1: leave 'changed' at status, extralang, fix was lang_check failed to change from pt_BR
# 30jan11 v1.8.2: avoid black screen at changing timezone, lang_chek for Puppy-4.2 and older
# 3feb11 v1.8.2: full list locale regardless fonts
# 10feb11 v1.8.3: fixed was always list all
# 1apr11 v1.8.4: /etc/hosts (thanks to micko)
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Jades

#736 Post by Jades »

ASRI éducation wrote:
Thanks bigpup.
I've always meant to ask, does the resize pupsave script check to see if there is actually enough free drive space to perform the action? I have a vague memory of having once broken a pupsave because I hadn't checked free space on the drive.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#737 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:Luci-266 is now a *Beta*. The next version will be the RC.
Seems to be working well on Merlin. Upgrade from 255 went through without errors. HardInfo report at http://www.jades.org/comps/hir_mer_luci266.html

Some observations:-

I notice that the menu is a lot tidier, with less two-level ones where they didn't really need to be. Always though it strange how some had three items and then a second level also with three items.

I see that we're still on Gparted 0.8.0 - I haven't seen many reports of problems with 0.8.1 and it's worked perfectly for me.

On this machine, I usually can't get HardInfo to do an FPU FFT benchmark without crashing back to the desktop. It's been doing that for several versions including Lupu 525 and, IIRC, Lupu 520. Finally tried launching the program from the Console and it prints a Segmentation Fault error on the times HardInfo dies. CPU is Pentium D 3.4GHz.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

rerwin

Re: firstrun-1.8.4

#738 Post by rerwin »

shinobar wrote:Sorry to be late to upload. The firstrun-1.8.4pet is the latest and the one built in the Wary-511-01q.
. . .
I am not sure it is compatible or not with luci.
You may need to edit /root/Startup/fullstart.
Yes, it is not compatible. Fullstart and first-run.sh employ a to-be-avoided technique of self-modifying code, well known as a cause of system instability and unreliability. That technique impacts remasterpup2's ability to function reliably, wherein it would remaster unexecutable scripts. I now see, also, that countrywizard.qs contains that technique in its control of numlockx, and should be reworked.

Playdayz,
Please do not integrate this package as it is. The problematic technique I refer to is the use of chmod to control the executability of fullstart and numlockx. That is the same as modifying the code of each to change the first instruction to "exit". Good coding practice keeps status data separate from the executable code, so that the code can be relied upon to perform consistently with the original source code.

My modified versions of fullstart and first-run avoid that undesirable situation (thereby allowing a remaster to be done without nerdy user actions), by substituting a hidden status flag in /etc to indicate that fullstart has executed the first time for that pupsave/installation.

Something analogous must be done with countrywizard.qs to avoid corrupting the executability of numlockx. I am willing to work with shinobar on that if he so wishes. In my rework of fullstart, I missed the same issue in countrywizard.qs, which will cause numlockx to be non-executable in any remaster. I don't recall any mention of numlockx in the Lupunews item about special user action for remasters. So this probably slipped past both of us.

To address that last issue, I will dig further into the situation to be managed regarding execution of numlockx, and hope shinobar will facilitate this by enlightening me.

I have been "biting my tongue" about the self-modifying code issue, but feel the need, now, to try to stop propagation of the technique to avoid encouraging others to use it.
Richard

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#739 Post by Béèm »

Jades wrote:
ASRI éducation wrote:
Thanks bigpup.
I've always meant to ask, does the resize pupsave script check to see if there is actually enough free drive space to perform the action? I have a vague memory of having once broken a pupsave because I hadn't checked free space on the drive.
The first screen tells you how big the save file is, how much space is left in it and how much space is left on the partition.

So if you decide to increase with more then is available, you ask for trouble.
However I don't think that the script does a fool proof check.
The output of the script is a little file, which is read at next boot.
It is at that time that the increase is done.
I don't think there is a fool proof check either and don't know what happens if you try to increase more then available space at that moment.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

recobayu

my modem was not detected in luci 266

#740 Post by recobayu »

hi everyone,
i am very happy with this great lupu 526.
many change on this.
but i have a problem with my huawei modem 3g.
in lupu 525, wary 5, and spup, it was detected very well, but not in luci 266.
can anyone help me what's the problem?
usually the serial modem device file show :/dev/ttyUSB0

best regards.
Attachments
reportpgprs.png
(141.07 KiB) Downloaded 224 times