is there any way to install puppy2 on USB without cd rom?

Booting, installing, newbie
jctots

is there any way to install puppy2 on USB without cd rom?

#1 Post by jctots »

hello... this is my first post here... and after doing this, this will also be my first time using puppy. just wondering if i can install the latest puppy version on my usb drive without cd-rom? i have read that i must burn the iso first on a cd then boot from it then install it to my usb drive. but the problem is i dont have any cdrom drive

so ive asked someone and told me to boot it from my harddrive, but im running xp and my file system is ntfs so its not easy. i found a windows xp puppy installer, but it will only install the old version of puppy.

i dont want to format my drive and partition it, so my only choice to run puppy on my pc is to install it and boot from my usb drive. can anyone help me with this? thanks

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

First question is: does your BIOS give you the option of selecting the USB drive as the first boot device? If so, then format your USB drive as bootable, use a program such as ISOBuster to extract the component files of Puppy from the ISO image, copy them to the USB drive, put an autoexec.bat on the USB drive which calls grub.exe, install Grub4DOS on the USB drive, and away you go.

If not, then you will have to boot the USB device from either your hard disk or a floppy disk using a bootloader.

If your machine has a floppy, search for pakt's "WakePup2" floppy image. Use a program such as RawWrite for Windows to write the WakePup2 image onto a floppy and then, with the USB drive plugged in, boot from the floppy. Pakt's floppy ingeniously uses an autoexec.bat which calls the linld bootloader. It works well on my Thinkpad T21.

If your machine does not have a floppy drive...

Within the last few days I bought a new Win XP computer, with no floppy drive. I tried the Grub bootloader, installed using the WinGrub frontend. This installed the Grub bootloader painlessly onto the NTFS partition (C drive). However, I was unable to get Puppy 1 or 2 to boot from either my USB flash key or from a second, IDE (UDMA 5, formatted FAT32) hard disk. Grub found the Puppy files on the USB flash key or hard disk OK, and started them, but then Puppy crashed. I speculate this is not from any fault of Grub but rather because my CPU is a new 64-bit AMD Venice 6e and the Linux kernels used in Puppy do not support this bleeding-edge processor yet.

With any processor less new than this AMD Venice, Grub installed via WinGrub should do the trick for you. Grub installed from WinGrub does boot XP without problems on this machine--if you go the bootloader-from-disk route with XP as the other OS, on an NTFS system, I can vouch for the fact that WinGrub will put the bootloader onto your NT (C:\) NTFS partition, will not mess up your XP installation, and works OK. Better have a Pentium 4 or older CPU, though.

Fossil

#3 Post by Fossil »

jctots,

I've got Puppy 109CE running from a 256 meg USB flash drive mounted on a Compaq Ipaq - without either CD or USB support. It runs very nicely.
I've just posted an item under the original heading: "How to boot Puppy on USB flash from NTFS partition".
I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Fossil

Sit Heel Speak

#4 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

jctots:

Fossil posted his instructions in the "HOW TO" section of the forum, in case you got lost...