Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#681 Post by Béèm »

Bert, Did you try BootFlash install puppy to USB?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rerwin

#682 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:
I am wondering--we have some extra space--why don't we add some drivers.

Perhaps tempestuous will be kind enough to suggest which ones would give us the best bang for the buck.
You are reading my mind. I considered suggesting it, but figured you probably thought of it, too. What do you think about adding them to a zdrv SFS file, so they don't go into RAM? Even if that is not done, one could remaster and put all of the drivers in zdrv -- that is probably the solution to excessive size.

BTW, the N300 is not in his driver, so would need to be added, if possible.
Richard

playdayz

#683 Post by playdayz »

You are reading my mind. I considered suggesting it, but figured you probably thought of it, too. What do you think about adding them to a zdrv SFS file, so they don't go into RAM? Even if that is not done, one could remaster and put all of the drivers in zdrv -- that is probably the solution to excessive size.
I am glad that makes sense to you. However, we have not had good experience with zdrv's. What we found was that using one caused many machines to have trouble booting. I don't think we will do it. Another option is to exceed 128MB which causes the sfs not to load into ram on a 256MB ram machine--but that is another priority of ours. Ideal would be to find a combination of drivers that will fit into the 2+MB that we have free that will give us some new capabilities. Thanks.

jim3630

#684 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:
I am glad that makes sense to you. However, we have not had good experience with zdrv's. What we found was that using one caused many machines to have trouble booting. I don't think we will do it. Another option is to exceed 128MB which causes the sfs not to load into ram on a 256MB ram machine--but that is another priority of ours. Ideal would be to find a combination of drivers that will fit into the 2+MB that we have free that will give us some new capabilities. Thanks.
playdayz, don't have that broad view of which drivers will give the most bang for the buck and hate the idea of making compensations for broadcom's poor attention to detail. Around these parts new HP's come with wl.ko driver for better or worse. Personally, can remember when HP's were clearly second class and reflected in the price. Now, since I own one can say they are just overpriced second class.

oops, sound a bit bitter. will do my due diligence on the next box.

bigpup

#685 Post by bigpup »

I would say driver support for hardware used to connect to the internet is top priority.
If you can get online you can download other stuff you may need.
Quickpet and choose a browser are good examples.

I see posts now talking about running Puppy on Intel core i7 processors and 8GB of memory on 1TB hard drives.
Having problems with CPU integrated graphics and using the latest video cards from Nvidia and ATI.

The one big problem:
I can not get on the internet with this new whatever device because Puppy does not see it or does not know how to operate it.
Most likely Puppy does not know about the device or have a driver for it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#686 Post by playdayz »

The one big problem:
I can not get on the internet with this new whatever device because Puppy does not see it or does not know how to operate it.
So you are in favor of more drivers? ;-) To be honest BP, it is a bit discouraging, but perhaps if we look at adding some we will be in good shape.

bigpup

#687 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
The one big problem:
So you are in favor of more drivers? ;-) To be honest BP, it is a bit discouraging, but perhaps if we look at adding some we will be in good shape.
Well you know, that other operating system comes out with a new version that is basically updated support for new hardware. They change the looks to make you think you are getting something new.
They keep the old stuff and add new support.
Probably why it is 4GB in size.
Amazing Puppy can do it with 129MB.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rjbrewer

#688 Post by rjbrewer »

bigpup wrote:
Bert wrote:
bigpup wrote: What is the USB device you are using?
Hi Bigpup,

It's a Samsung 2.5" hd in a usb enclosure.
Thanks.
I assume an external USB hard drive would need to be setup like an internal hard drive.
An MBR
A bootloader
An install of Puppy.
Not really;
The external USB hdd works just like USB flash.
No MBR needed.

Making one bootable can be problematic.

I usually download the iso, mount it, and run bootflash.
This often doesn't work from a Lupu install.
It works fine from my Wary512 install.
Just tried with 265; worked fine.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

bigpup

#689 Post by bigpup »

rjbrewer wrote:Not really;
The external USB hdd works just like USB flash.
No MBR needed.

Making one bootable can be problematic.

I usually download the iso, mount it, and run bootflash.
This often doesn't work from a Lupu install.
It works fine from my Wary512 install.
Just tried with 265; worked fine.
I have never done a USB hard drive so was not sure.
Knew I would fire up someone who has done it with that statement.
Sounded like he had done what you are saying already.
Never know what may work sometimes.
Still do not see why he is having problems.
Hope you can help.
Thanks for the correction!

But why does universal installer say this in the process?
Attachments
MBR load from universal installer.jpg
(67.83 KiB) Downloaded 691 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

rjbrewer

#690 Post by rjbrewer »

Bigpup;

I don't really know why it's called MBR, as it's syslinux that does
the booting on my vfat drives.
"pmedia=usbflash" or "pmedia=usbhd"

If I use the universal installer instead of bootflash it may need
the mbr.bin choice sometimes.

Maybe having a ext. format makes a difference; I'll give it a try.

edit:

Was not able to make a bootable usb drive from a full install using
the iso and universal installer.

Universal installer did work fine from live cd.
Used an ext2 format without problems and default in mbr choices.
Ext2 using isolinux.conf and extlinux.conf instead of syslinux that
vfat would use.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

live

#691 Post by live »

live, I just installed Python 2.6 and Openshot 1.3.1 from the Puppy Package Manger and it seemed to work. It started and loaded and played an mp4 video anyway. (I am using the pre-266 luci though.)

You must install python first, and you must ignore the errors. I am irritated with PPM because those are not real errors--the libraries are just not where PPM expects them to be. Sometimes I can do some slight of hand to conceal the "errors" but not in the case of Openshot. I have requested the ability to turn the error checking off because all of the packages in the puppy-lucid repo are checked already, but that hasn't happened. Any hackers???
I did the same procedure as for Pup525 and of course Python was first installed.
The errors you show are missing Qt files--perhaps you had a different Openshot?
Python & Openshot 1.3.1 from PPM

Snail

Right-Click?

#692 Post by Snail »

At the top of the current first post of this thread it mentions right-click. I had assumed that this meant that right-click was installed out-of-the 265-box. I was also under the impression that right-click was a development of Rox-right-clicks, originated by HairyWill. However, I must be wrong, because Rox-right-clicks created a separate, customised Open-with right-click option for each mime-type. By contrast, the open-with sub-menu of the Rox right click menu is always the same. Does this menu seem sensible for a directory to anyone?

A properly customised open-with menu would IMHO be a major usability enhancement to Puppy. It is a bit hard to see why this was not made standard some time ago. Alternatively, in 432 Official, ttuuxxx used the customisable area at the top of the right click menu to provide much the same enhancement.

The customisable area is user-modifiable but is a PITA to use, because, contrary to what is said in the Rox manual, you have to make a wrapper script to open the clicked file or directory.
Attachments
openwith.png
(139.38 KiB) Downloaded 2781 times

tempestuous

#693 Post by tempestuous »

playdayz and rerwin,
Regarding extra drivers, I seem to recall that you have already included a few of my fixed/upgraded drivers?
From the "Extras for Puppy 5.1" thread, I consider the important updates to be:

ath5k-patched-k2.6.33.2.pet
tg3-3.110-k2.6.33.2.pet
dhcpcd-5.2.9-Puppy5.pet
Puppy5.1-WPA-hotfix.pet
atl1e-v1.0.1.14-k2.6.33.2.pet
iwlagn-firmware-update-k2.6.33.2.pet

Most of the other drivers in that thread are for very recent hardware, and the value of adding them seems to be offset by the fact that new hardware and drivers are appearing all the time. If you added my Realtek wifi drivers, for example, there's a fair chance that several new Realtek devices would appears shortly afterwards, and the Realtek drivers require immediate updating to support them.

So the only additional driver I consider worthy of adding would be "acx-old-k2.6.33.2.pet". This supports a range of wifi devices which are quite common, and these devices are otherwise unsupported in Lucid 5.x.

But hold the presses!
There's an important wifi firmware update necessary for certain (old) orinoco-based wifi devices.
I now attach the orinoco firmware package, which should be located in /lib/modules/all-firmware
Then a corresponding new line needs to be added to /etc/modules/firmware.dep.2.6.33.2

Code: Select all

orinoco_firmware:orinoco.ko
And while on the subject of "firmware.dep.2.6.33.2" I'm hoping you have already changed it as per my suggestion several months ago, from

rt2870sta-fw:rt2870sta.ko
to

rt2870sta-fw:rt2870sta.ko,rt2800usb.ko
EDIT: orinoco-firmware package removed, to avoid newbie-confusion.
Last edited by tempestuous on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#694 Post by tempestuous »

Jim1911 wrote:It does not see my Belkin Wireless USB Adapter N300.
Just to be clear; "N300" describes a wifi mode, not a model number.
Any Belkin device with "N300" in its description will still have a separate model number. To be able to help you with a suitable driver, I need to know the model number ... better still, give me the USB device ID.
rerwin wrote:Although rt3572sta supports several Belkin (050d) devices, the N300 (945a) is not among them.
Again, let's be clear about various devices in question; USB device ID 050d:945a is the Belkin F7D1101 v1000.
This particular device is supported by the Realtek (not Ralink) 8712u driver, available here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 469#462469
... but are we sure that's the device that Jim1911 has?

Snail

Pcur is Ridiculous

#695 Post by Snail »

In order to make a simple mouse cursor switch, clicking on pcur tells you to first go to the PPM and download some cursor themes. In 265, as in all other Puppies I have tried, this means downloading nearly 41MB of crud! This is nearly 1/3 the size of the entire Lupu ISO to change a 330 byte file! A 125,000-fold overkill.

It is faster and takes less keystrokes to copy a cursor from the Help file of the PupSnap screen capture utility

I liked mikeB's comment on this; "It's supposed to be Puppy, not Great Dane Linux" :lol:

Jim1911

#696 Post by Jim1911 »

tempestuous wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:It does not see my Belkin Wireless USB Adapter N300.
Just to be clear; "N300" describes a wifi mode, not a model number.
Any Belkin device with "N300" in its description will still have a separate model number. To be able to help you with a suitable driver, I need to know the model number ... better still, give me the USB device ID.
rerwin wrote:Although rt3572sta supports several Belkin (050d) devices, the N300 (945a) is not among them.
Again, let's be clear about various devices in question; USB device ID 050d:945a is the Belkin F7D1101 v1000.
This particular device is supported by the Realtek (not Ralink) 8712u driver, available here -
Hi tempestuous,

Sorry, that I didn't provide the proper numbers, however, I don't know where to find them. 01micko's latest spup does work with my wireless adapter and it uses the 8712u driver. I'll give it a try with 265, however, it'll be a while before I can do it.

EDIT: The 8712u driver above works fine, posting this edit using the new wireless connection.

Thanks,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 22:32, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

#697 Post by rerwin »

Jim1911 wrote:Sorry, that I didn't provide the proper numbers, however, I don't know where to find them.
Pupscan should show it, in the USB listing when you click the USB-related button.
tempestuous wrote:Again, let's be clear about various devices in question; USB device ID 050d:945a is the Belkin F7D1101 v1000.
Thanks for clarifying that. I took the ID from a googled posting somewhere that seemed to address the issue. So it is not necessarily what Jim1911 has. Sorry for my misconception and misdirection.
Richard

playdayz

#698 Post by playdayz »

ath5k-patched-k2.6.33.2.pet
tg3-3.110-k2.6.33.2.pet
dhcpcd-5.2.9-Puppy5.pet
Puppy5.1-WPA-hotfix.pet
atl1e-v1.0.1.14-k2.6.33.2.pet
iwlagn-firmware-update-k2.6.33.2.pet
These are added. The orinoco and iwlagan pets had the files in /lib/firmware, which is where I put them.
So the only additional driver I consider worthy of adding would be "acx-old-k2.6.33.2.pet". This supports a range of wifi devices which are quite common, and these devices are otherwise unsupported in Lucid 5.x.
This is added.
But hold the presses!
There's an important wifi firmware update necessary for certain (old) orinoco-based wifi devices.
I now attach the orinoco firmware package, which should be located in /lib/modules/all-firmware
As I said, this seemed to go into /lib/firmware instead of /lib/modules/all-firmware.
Then a corresponding new line needs to be added to /etc/modules/firmware.dep.2.6.33.2

orinoco_firmware:orinoco.ko
Done.
And while on the subject of "firmware.dep.2.6.33.2" I'm hoping you have already changed it as per my suggestion several months ago, from

rt2870sta-fw:rt2870sta.ko
to

rt2870sta-fw:rt2870sta.ko,rt2800usb.ko
Done.

I will double-check after building because Woof has a weird habit of replacing files in all-firmware.

And of course, I will rebuild if I am wrong about where the orinoco and iwlagn firmware goes.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#699 Post by DaveS »

Will the 'final' have these umount enhancements (please) http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02360
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#700 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:Will the 'final' have these umount enhancements (please) http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02360
+1
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]