plugging a External USB HDD to puppeee

Booting, installing, newbie
gilbertman

plugging a External USB HDD to puppeee

#1 Post by gilbertman »

well i finally got a USB HDD, but its not mine since i borrowed it from my cousin, i'm allowed to transfer all my personal files there, but i'm not allowed to do anything else with the files that's already in there and it includes not formatting the drive.

the drive was formatted by her on her windows Vista pc years ago

1: is it safe to plug it in puppy linux? because if puppee auto-formats her drive i'm screwed, my cousin WILL KILL ME if her files get messed up

2: once i'm done copying my folders and files and whatnot to the HDD, will it still be visible on her windows pc?

3: will the filesystem of the HDD get changed in anyway (eg:all files inside becomes linux visible only) without my permission?

thanks for letting me know!

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

Relax, you can plug her external hard drive into your Puppeee machine with no worries about damaging anything.
1: is it safe to plug it in puppy linux? because if puppee auto-formats her drive i'm screwed, my cousin WILL KILL ME if her files get messed up
Yes, its safe. Puppeee, nor any puppy, will not automatically format anything.
2: once i'm done copying my folders and files and whatnot to the HDD, will it still be visible on her windows pc?
Yes, if you don't format the drive, it will still be in a format that windows understands, and therefore, windows will see your files too.
3: will the filesystem of the HDD get changed in anyway (eg:all files inside becomes linux visible only) without my permission?
No, as answered in 1, Puppy won't change anything, unless you ask it to!

*******NOTE********
When unplugging the hard drive, make sure you unmount it first. That can be done either by going to Pmount and clicking unmount on your external drive, or, seeing the drive on the desktop, right click on it, and clicking on "unmount sd*1 if currently mounted". Sometimes (rarely) if you pull the plug and it is being written to, you can get errors. Windows will also have issues if you do that, its the same as the safely remove hardware thing in windows.

HTH

Paul

gilbertman

#3 Post by gilbertman »

thanks for the reply!

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

gilbertman

I suggest you make a file with your name on it, so she'll know it's your stuff, or else you can change permissions of the file.
Hide the file by adding .hide (dot hide) behind its name with Rename from the right click menu on the icon. You will need to click on the Eye symbol to see the file in rox - I believe

Or a steganography app, maybe, if you want secure?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57806

Aitch :)

gilbertman

#5 Post by gilbertman »

Aitch wrote:gilbertman

I suggest you make a file with your name on it, so she'll know it's your stuff, or else you can change permissions of the file.
Hide the file by adding .hide (dot hide) behind its name with Rename from the right click menu on the icon. You will need to click on the Eye symbol to see the file in rox - I believe

Or a steganography app, maybe, if you want secure?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57806

Aitch :)

ah that sounds great for my exciting video collections :wink:

i was actually looking for a Gui version of winrar so i can rar everything up and put a password to it but i cou;dn't find one with a GUI, steganography looks good, thanks so much!