Midnight Sun Pup 002 with 2.6.35.7 and 003 with 2.6.38.4

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#121 Post by pemasu »

Iguleder. Sounds good. Looking forward to get my hands on your stuff.

James C

#122 Post by James C »

Smokey01 has packaged SeaMonkey 2.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 231#542231

works fine in Midnightsun Pup....posting with it now.

James C

#123 Post by James C »

Just ran the Peacekeeper benchmarks on Firefox 5.0 and SeaMonkey 2.2.
SeaMonkey is faster. :)
Attachments
midnightsunpup Peacekeeper.png
(35.55 KiB) Downloaded 1250 times

pemasu

#124 Post by pemasu »

Thank you of the Seamonkey info.
Here is the straight link.
http://www.smokey01.com/pets/Seamonkey-2.2.pet

Since it is already in Smokey01 ftp repo I dont upload it under Pemasu.

I feel a little bit inclined to make one build in the future with latest Seamonkey included.

Dont ask Chromium, Google Chrome, Iron Ice Age Puppy. It is not near.

But Polarpup-002 is now uploading.....

smokey01

#125 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu, when you consider Seamonkey is bundled with a good Mail Client, HTML editor, Chat Client and Address Book it really is hard to beat.

Tman

midnightsun 003 remix

#126 Post by Tman »

EDIT: Remixed Midnightsun has now been fixed and updated.

I have made a remastered version of Midnightsun 003, which can be downloaded here: http://smokey01.com/Tman/Midnightsun-003-tmix.iso

MD5: 0ae71c06d39fba0a33a1ac8c5bdb5374

Size: 202MB

Problems with VLC and Edit-SFS of first remix are now fixed.

Firefox-6.0 SFS can be downloaded here: http://smokey01.com/Tman/apps/

Reduction in size was mosltly acheived by removing some big apps: Umplayer, Scribus and Gimp. VLC and Xorg High Video drivers have not been removed. Flashplayer and some small apps were added.
The kernel is the same and Pemasu has informed me that it should support up to 64MB of ram.

I have not included a separate thread for this one because I want to offer it AS IS. Since this is a Midnightsun Pup under the hood, one can check this thread or the Snowpuppy thread for troubleshooting issues.

SPECIAL THANKS TO PEMASU...enjoy! ':wink:'
Attachments
midnightsun-tmix.jpg
Midnightsun 003 Remix - sample pic
(73.12 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Last edited by Tman on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 17:15, edited 9 times in total.

pemasu

#127 Post by pemasu »

Thank you Tman. I will make a link to the first page after I have tested your remaster. Anyway. Midnight Sun Pup Lite is good idea. I believe I will use your idea.
And thank you that you have used your precious time with your remaster.
I am grateful.

pemasu

#128 Post by pemasu »

Tman. Now I have tested your Midnight Sun Pup 003 Remix. Really nice. To make Firefox 6.0 as extra sfs to the iso is nice idea. That way nobody is forced to use Firefox.

New namings and groupings of menu is really nice.
At first run it doesnt boot to the desktop, but it do the old style xorgwizard tour. That is in fact good thing for me, because Flsynclient is working immediately since xorgwizard running do the same thing as restarting X.

I fixed my mistake in font selection. I removed some double fonts there and That way I shaved 4 mb out. Main sfs is now 190 Mb. Not bad, I think. I uploaded that fontshaved version and I make link to that version since my shaving just reduced the size.

Good work, nice looking and still more than functional. It is good.

Thank you Tman.

Download link:http://smokey01.com/pemasu/MidnightSunPup-003-tmix
Attachments
MidnightSunPup-Tman-remix-003.jpg
(34.08 KiB) Downloaded 970 times

calexand

#129 Post by calexand »

Does this Puppy need the instant-update-001.pet added to it or is it already included? Sorry, I read all nine pages and could not find this info.
Thank you,
CA

pemasu

#130 Post by pemasu »

Calexand. I have implemented most fixes from Instant update 001. In certain things MNS 002 and 003 and tmix-003 are newer than Lucid 525. They have been built using much newer woof and many applications are updated.

James C

#131 Post by James C »

Still running 002 and 003 some every day, just no problems to report. :) Downloading the new remix now.

smokey01

#132 Post by smokey01 »

I have just discovered that printing doesn't work.

It does with other versions of puppy using the Samsung unified drivers I installed.

See graphic.
Attachments
image-11.png
Permission issue
(97.25 KiB) Downloaded 842 times

pemasu

#133 Post by pemasu »

Smokey01. I tested cups printer adding and printing with Firefox in MNS 003. It worked. Then I tested MNS tmix 003. I installed SM 2.2 pet. I noticed that pet missed /usr/bin/seamonkey symlink to right launching location. I added it and remade the pet. Then I installed my HP LJ1020 and printing worked. The permissions in /var/spool/cups and /var/spool/cups/tmp were right when I compared them in another Puppy build with also working printing.

So...Your printing problem is not that dreadful generic cups permission problem. It is something else.

I uploaded that SM 2.2 pet which I fixed to the http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/seamonkey-2.2.pet

I used now Midnight Commander for ftp transfer. MC is my old friend from time when I played with server without X. I think I will use it more often in the future.

I am beside printer just today, then I will go back to the summer house.

EDIT. Smokey01. You could compare permisions in /var/spool/cups and under in Puppy distro where they works. You need to check permission in savefile of that other Puppy distro so that changes after configuring cups are found. I suspect that your Seamonkey installation might have done something which have changed the permissions in those folders. Just suspicion.
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#134 Post by Sylvander »

Tried the 003-tmix.iso

Booted OK by excluding the use of a pupsave file.

Rebooted and made a pupsave.
Only able to make it in /mnt/home/ :(

Booted lupu-525, and moved the tmix pupsave to /mnt/home/06-Midnight Sun/lupusave_midnightsun.3fs

tmix can see /mnt/home/04-Lupu/lupusave.3fs and tries to use it, but doesn't see /mnt/home/06-Midnight Sun/lupusave_midnightsun.3fs

pemasu

#135 Post by pemasu »

Sylvander. Puppy savefile detection worked correctly in your case. You have naming style which is not supported. Use Puppy savefile naming and it detects your additional savefiles just fine.

/mnt/home/MidnightSunPup/lupusave-midnightsunpup.3fs and lupusave.3fs are both recognized and I get choose dialog when I boot. Choosing lupusave-midnightsunpup.3fs boots just fine using that savefile.

In which puppy version this kind naming works: lupusave_midnightsun.3fs ?

Sylvander

#136 Post by Sylvander »

All's well. :D

1. Changed names to now use:
/mnt/home/06-MidnightSunPup/lupusave-midnightsunpup.3fs

Both lupusave files are now being seen by tmix.
It's a pest to need to choose; takes time and effort. Would be good if you could tell it once and for all which file was its own.

2. I'm no good at using Firefox versions 4, 5, and 6.
Icons don't show in the toolbar. [See screenshot of normal icons]
What to do?
Where to go to learn how to use these newer versions?

3. I'm using "Firefox sync" to sync my bookmarks in various Firefox browsers in various OS's, but "Firefox sync" only works with versions 3 & 4 I see, and using the SFS file for version 6 in tmix.
Should I switch to Xmarks?
Uninstall "Firefox sync" in the various Puppies, then install Xmarks, and upload the best bookmarks, and download to the others?
Attachments
00.jpg
(7.57 KiB) Downloaded 1484 times

pemasu

#137 Post by pemasu »

Sylvander. When I have used some bookmarks syncing application, it was Xmarks and it has worked well. I suggest than you install some browser, for example Firefox or Seamonkey before using bookmarks syncing. I dont know how well they works with sfs installation.

pemasu

#138 Post by pemasu »

I am posting now from first test build of Midnight Sun Office version.
It has Libre Office 3.4.1 inbuild. I stripped base, math and draw out of it. And created mime types for file associations. Then I made something horrible. I removed goffice, gnumeric and Abiword.

Seamonkey 2.2 full package, it has the browser, email, html editor.

Iso is now 313 Mb. I can make it 300 Mb by removing Pidgin, Gimp, Transmission, reduce themes and backgrounds. VLC and Umplayr is already removed and Deadbeef is 0.44 lite version. It probably needs some file formats to include more.

Kernel is 2.6.39.3 which has ATI Catalyst 11.6 pet already made. Same kernel is in Polarpup 003.

It will take at least one day to clean and polish the shape. I need to check mimes and include rox right clicks and file associatons as full as possible. And remove remnants of Abiword and Gnumeric.

Basic things works already. Posting from MNS Office Edition now.

jim3630

#139 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:I am posting now from first test build of Midnight Sun Office version.
It has Libre Office 3.4.1 inbuild. I stripped base, math and draw out of it. And created mime types for file associations. Then I made something horrible. I removed goffice, gnumeric and Abiword.

Seamonkey 2.2 full package, it has the browser, email, html editor.

Iso is now 313 Mb. I can make it 300 Mb by removing Pidgin, Gimp, Transmission, reduce themes and backgrounds. VLC and Umplayr is already removed and Deadbeef is 0.44 lite version. It probably needs some file formats to include more.

Kernel is 2.6.39.3 which has ATI Catalyst 11.6 pet already made. Same kernel is in Polarpup 003.

It will take at least one day to clean and polish the shape. I need to check mimes and include rox right clicks and file associatons as full as possible. And remove remnants of Abiword and Gnumeric.

Basic things works already. Posting from MNS Office Edition now.
whoa built in graphic card! will the ATI pet run on any hardware?

jim3630

#140 Post by jim3630 »

smokey01 wrote:I have just discovered that printing doesn't work.

It does with other versions of puppy using the Samsung unified drivers I installed.

See graphic.
+1. couldn't print on hp officejet 6500.