Polarpup-005 with Qt4-4.8.0 and Gstreamer libs inbuild

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
marco07

#221 Post by marco07 »

Its being downloaded right now!
The sun down picture is pretty indeed! What a nice view from your back yard!
Thanks!

marco07

#222 Post by marco07 »

The LibreOffice 3.4.1-en.us.fixed.pet installs but is nowhere in the menu.
I can see the .pet file in /root despite the message that is was successfully installed. When I click on it it was to be reinstalled. Since I could not find it anywhere in the menu after restarting X. I clicked on it again and reinstalled it. But again nowhere in the menu it could be found. What is wrong?

pemasu

#223 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. It seems that you need to run in console: fixmenus
Restart wm. Restarting X is not needed.
Hmm...I wonder why those steps are not done automatically as they should. Maybe I have to put pinstall.sh script to command them. Lets see. Need to investigate.
Is it the size of the package ? Normally pet installation launches fixmenus and wm restarting without need to command it discretely.

marco07

#224 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Marco07. It seems that you need to run in console: fixmenus
Restart wm. Restarting X is not needed.
Hmm...I wonder why those steps are not done automatically as they should. Maybe I have to put pinstall.sh script to command them. Lets see. Need to investigate.
What I also noticed is that after it says package was successfully installed, contrary to usual it does not check for dependencies, no orange color pop up windows to say checking for, or no missing dependencies. There seems to be definitely something missing here. i have not yet check fixmenus yet. I am on another system now. Will check that later and report back.
Thanks!

pemasu

#225 Post by pemasu »

That yellow box says Please wait, updating help page, and it does pop up for me but then the fixmenus and restart wm does not happen.
Weird. Hmn. I think that I will try to build the pet tomorrow with fresh installation. This save is little screwed after repeated installation and uninstallation of tha libre office pet.
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

marco07

#226 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:That yellow box says Please wait, updating help page, and it does pop up for me but then the fixmenus and restart wm does not happen.
Weird.
Exatly the same happens here.

pemasu

#227 Post by pemasu »

Anyway the petget installation script goes to the end and even updates the ppm database. So, only fixmenus command and wm restarting lacks.
Do them manually and there you go. I have latest petget folder scripts so it must be something of that libre office structure. I probably will add pinstall.sh to the pet which performs those commands.

marco07

#228 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Anyway the petget installation script goes to the end and even updates the ppm database. So, only fixmenus command and wm restarting lacks.
Do them manually and there you go. I have latest petget folder scripts so it must be something of that libre office structure. I probably will add pinstall.sh to the pet which performs those commands.
So, should I be waiting for a new LO .pet package that you will soon develop?

Jim1911

#229 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

My frugal installation is working great and I continue to marvel at the completeness and up-to-date software in your distributions.

I do get an error on installation of the correct Nvidia driver.

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or mproperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb, nvidiafb, or nouveau is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is not supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.

Nouveau was the culprit in the past when this message occurred with your distributions, however, it has been completely removed and the nv driver is being used. I suspect the problem is an improperly configured kernel sources this time.

Has anyone else had success installing the proper Nvidia driver with this release?

Thanks,
Jim

jim3630

#230 Post by jim3630 »

downloaded new pp003, manual copied files for frugal install using same savefile. not sure fully unsterstand the sfs problems but could load sfs files, devx and vlc at boot. vlc functions as expected and devx programs, glade, are present.

pemasu like your sunset pic.

pemasu

#231 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. Why dont you just execute in console: fixmenus and restart windowmanager. It is that easy.

Jim1911. I just tested the ati fglrx driver compilation. I got that kernel lock error again. And I am sure I checked that Kernel hacking section, there wasnt that option anymore. I thought it was left out. But it seems to be there somewhere.
I dont know if this affects to nvidia driver compiling but surely I will have to make new kernel to get ati working again. I searched the net, there were 3 posts about same problem than I got, only 3, so it should be easily resolved.
I will search the net about nvidia driver compiling also.

pemasu

#232 Post by pemasu »

ATI driver installation problem now understood. Latest ATI installer still looks for big kernel lock but it is totally removed from 2.6.39.3 kernel. So....new ATI driver package is needed which solves that problem.

Nvidia package should be updated for above problem, if you use the latest Nvidia driver package. Is there something else missing, I dont know yet.

pemasu

#233 Post by pemasu »

Just to be sure. I downloaded Barrys latest 2.6.39.3 source, compiled it with my specs and get same errors.
So... I dont think that my uploaded source is faulty. There is obstacles now in that 2.6.39.3 kernel to compile proprietary NVIDIA and ATI drivers.
I will investigate it more.
ATI reason is clear. The latest driver packages shouts after big kernel lock which isnt in 2.6.39.3 kernel anymore. Probably next ATI package resolves that.

NVIDIA though is mystery. That big kernel lock bug should have been resolved months ago. There is something else now.

pemasu

#234 Post by pemasu »

I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.19 and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-280.04. Then I extracted both of them.

Code: Select all

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-280.04 --extract-only
In extracted folder I compiled nvidia.ko. It succeeded without problem. I cant test installing them or installer since I dont have nvidia graphics.

About that error message Jim1911 got. It means that nvidia.ko compiling succeeded but something inhibited the installing of the module.
/var/log/nvidia-installer.log should give information what failed.
Someone who tries to install nvidia, could post that log file if it fails.

Straight link to nvidia ftp site: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/
Click the last modified and you get at the end the latest nvidia installers.

pemasu

#235 Post by pemasu »

Libreoffice 3.4.1 pet should now create appropriate menu entrys.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/lib ... -3.4.1.pet

marco07

#236 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Libreoffice 3.4.1 pet should now create appropriate menu entrys.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/lib ... -3.4.1.pet
Thanks!

smokey01

#237 Post by smokey01 »

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /pemasu/Pets/libreoffice-3.4.1.pet on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.smokey01.com Port 80

Whoa, I don't have permission to download from my own site.

MMmm, investigating.

The folder permission had changed. Fixed.

Jim1911

#238 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

You've really been working on the driver problems. Thank you.

I tried to install NVIDIA=Linux=x86-270.41.19 which works with my card, the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log from the failed installation is attached as requested/

Regards,
Jim
Attachments
nvidia-installer.tar
(50 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

pemasu

#239 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. From your posted log, it looks like my kernel sources sfs really had problems.
nvidia: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
ERROR: Installation has failed.
I have recompiled the kernel and reuploaded kernel source sfs for lupe28.
Download lupe28 version and try again.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... lupe28.sfs

pemasu

#240 Post by pemasu »

Today I studied ATI Catalyst 11.6 which does not compile with 2.6.39.3. I searched net and I found tips how to cheat the installer.

I made notes to my notecase:
extract package ./ati.....run --extract
edit /common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c

for (i = 0; i < __KE_MAX_SPINLOCKS; i++)
- dev->spinlock = SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED; << change this row
+ spin_lock_init(&dev->spinlock);

for (i=0; i < __KE_MAX_SEMAPHORES; i++)
sema_init(&dev->struct_sem, 1);

change that above row to be: spin_lock_init(&dev->spinlock);
Copy from older kernel source and place to: /usr/src/linux-2.6.39/include/linux/smp_lock.h
run ./ati-installer.sh 11.6 --buildpkg
It creates Slackware package under /packages/Slackware/working_tree
Delete unnecessary, add pinstall.sh and create pet.

Then I made two pets, the whole one with ati catalyst command center 31 Mb and stripped down version with only essential 21 mb.

And it works !!! Glxgears seqfaults but there was quite a lot updated and the code is hacked.

Download link for full ATI Catalyst 11.6:http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Drivers/ ... lupe28.pet
Download link for stripped ATI Catalyst 11.6:http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Drivers/ ... ripped.pet
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 16 Jul 2011, 16:53, edited 3 times in total.