Broadcom ethernet adapter in Dell Inspiron not detected

netfrog77

Broadcom ethernet adapter in Dell Inspiron not detected

#1 Post by netfrog77 »

Puppy 525, 510, 421 do not detect any ethernet interfaces using the on-board Broadcom ethernet (wired) adapter in my new Dell Inspiron 570. Based on the driver used by the pre-installed Windows7, the adapter should use the latest Broadom drivers for their NetLink 57xx adapters. This includes the tg3 driver for Linux. Using the network setup wizard, I have tried re-loading the tg3 driver (which I think was already loaded) as well as trying the NDIS wrapper with several windows drivers downloaded from Broadcom. With the NDIS wrapper, I do get "k57win32: driver installed, device(14E4:1691) present", however the ultimate result is still "No new interfaces detected".

Other than buying/installing a pci ethernet card, I do not know what to try next.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

I've run into a broadcom issue as well FatPuppy64-520b3 identified and made usable from default install, also there is a delta patch for Lup525 to add the usability.
Based on your download speed and patch skills

try either search forum for
lupu-520.iso___lupu-520_bcmwlmod.iso.delta
or
Fatdog64-520b3.iso

both work as expected for me.
:P :P

netfrog77

#3 Post by netfrog77 »

Thanks, Ted Dog!

Will checkout and post results.

Regards,
Bob

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

You probably just need the updated tg3 driver I provided for Puppy 5.1/5.2.x here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 938#447938
Obviously reboot after installing the new driver.

If still no success, you might need to additionally load the "broadcom" driver, which is sometimes necessary before the tg3 driver will work properly. A quick way to do this is

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth0 down
rmmod tg3
modprobe broadcom
modprobe tg3
then run the Network Wizard again, and see if you get a successful connection.
Please let us know if the "broadcom" driver was necessary, and I can help you make this fix permanent.

Ted Dog wrote:try either search forum for
lupu-520.iso___lupu-520_bcmwlmod.iso.delta
That's not directly relevant - it involves the Broadcom (proprietary) wifi driver. netfrog77 is asking about a Broadcom wired ethernet device.

netfrog77

#5 Post by netfrog77 »

Thank you Tempestuous!

New Broadcom tg3 driver pet worked perfectly. Now have internet access with Puppy 525.

Best regards,
Bob

Also thanks to Ted Dog. I'm looking forward to playing with the Fat Dog.

netfrog77

Solved -Broadcom ethernet adptr in Dell Inspiron not detectd

#6 Post by netfrog77 »

Hi Tempestuous,

After installing the tg3 .pet, I just needed to reboot.
Did not need to re-load the Broadcom driver.

When you mentioned making the fix 'permanent', can I assume you are talking about needing to 'load' the "Broadcom" driver? And isn't the 'tg3' driver the Broadcom driver for the adapter?

Thanks,
Bob

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

The "permanent fix" relates only to situations where the "broadcom" driver needs to be pre-loaded before the "tg3" driver;
it's a configuration setting in /etc/modprobe.conf

Clearly this does not affect you.