VLC 1.1.10 by billtoo

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
playdayz

VLC 1.1.10 by billtoo

#1 Post by playdayz »

I see a couple of people interested in VLC media player. billtoo has compiled a version of the latest 1.1.10 for lucid 5.2.5. He has also built one for Slacko Puppy. One or the other of those might work in other puppies.

Lucid pet ->
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid525.pet

Lucid sfs ->
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid525.sfs

Spup sfs ->
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=495

LateAdopter

#2 Post by LateAdopter »

I have tried the SFS, but there is a problem with playing MPEG-TS files with the default settings.

Although it thinks it is playing, neither the video nor audio works. The video has random blurred stripes and rectangles and the audio only produces occasional bursts of noise.

My files are MPEG2 or H.264 in TS or M2TS container.

They play correctly in the VLC 1.1.10 Windows version and also in Gnome/Mplayer in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5

Since both audio and video were broken, I assumed it must be a demuxer problem and looked in the preferences.

There is no TS demuxer listed, but the Windows version lists MPEG-TS "MPEG Transport Stream Demuxer"

So I set it to "FFmpeg demuxer" and then the files played correctly.

I wonder if libdvbpsi is missing. I think that might be what VLC normally uses for handling TS.

I doubt that streaming would work if playback is broken.

playdayz

#3 Post by playdayz »

There is no TS demuxer listed, but the Windows version lists MPEG-TS "MPEG Transport Stream Demuxer"

So I set it to "FFmpeg demuxer" and then the files played correctly.

I wonder if libdvbpsi is missing. I think that might be what VLC normally uses for handling TS.
Thanks LateAdopter. There has always been one of the media test suite I use that VLC would not play--all the way back to 0.86 as I recall it does have a mpg extension. I will experiment with your info.

ETP

VLC 1.1.10

#4 Post by ETP »

VLC 1.0.6 is as far as I know the last compiled version that includes DVB-t support.

1.1.10 really needs to be re-compiled including the DVB/PVR module so that those with TV sticks/cards can continue to use VLC.

caieng

Wary?

#5 Post by caieng »

playdayz wrote:I see a couple of people interested in VLC media player. billtoo has compiled a version of the latest 1.1.10 for lucid 5.2.5. He has also built one for Slacko Puppy. One or the other of those might work in other puppies.
I avoid Ubuntu, like the plague, and accordingly, I also avoid "Lucid". Sorry to be completely unaware of "Slacko". I will search the forum for information about it. My only dislike of Slackware itself, is the inevitable requirement to enter at least 6 characters for the "root" password, utterly unnecessary for my application. Perhaps Slacko will retain the Puppy Linux formula, i.e. running as root, without password: really my cup of tea.....

I like Wary, but regret the absence of VLC. Will Billtoo's compilation work with one of the Wary versions of Puppy Linux? ("...might work in other puppies.")

Thanks for your assistance,

CAI ENG

z1818

vlc-1.1.10-i686-lucid525 output problem

#6 Post by z1818 »

All, I downloaded and tried vlc-1.1.10-i686-lucid525. I found that there was no video output in the vlc player window. However, the "coloured ascii arts" output option was workable and I can see the char arts. I tried on both DELL vostro 460d PC and Thinkpad x201s, neither one could correctly output video content. Anybody encountered the same problem? I wish to know to solve the issue. Thanks for any suggestion.

Billtoo

Re: vlc-1.1.10-i686-lucid525 output problem

#7 Post by Billtoo »

z1818 wrote:All, I downloaded and tried vlc-1.1.10-i686-lucid525. I found that there was no video output in the vlc player window. However, the "coloured ascii arts" output option was workable and I can see the char arts. I tried on both DELL vostro 460d PC and Thinkpad x201s, neither one could correctly output video content. Anybody encountered the same problem? I wish to know to solve the issue. Thanks for any suggestion.
Hi, this is from the original message that I posted about vlc:

"I made an sfs of the latest vlc-1.1.10, it's large at 42mb but it
contains the qt473 libs that vlc needs to work."

"It needs the xorg-high driver installed from quickpet or the nvidia or
ati proprietary driver for your graphics card."

I don't think it will run in anything other than lucid 525 with xorg-high installed at least.

I hope this helps you.

bsd3000

Re: vlc-1.1.10-i686-lucid525 output problem

#8 Post by bsd3000 »

Hi

I'm trying to use vlc to play youtube video

In consolle I see:
<code>
Compressed SWF format not supported
avformat demux error: av_open_input_stream failed
</code>

I use pet pkg
<code>
VLC media player 1.1.10 The Luggage (revision exported)
</code>

How can I do to play youtube video?
(vlc on other platform works)

kind regards