Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 20:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 23 of 91 [1351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 89, 90, 91 Next
jim3630

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:23    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
jim3630 wrote:
DaveS wrote:
jim3630 wrote:

can not get that so useful cpu temp gauge. how did you do that?

Here you go. Just re-name this to pfbpanel without the .zip check it is executable, and move it to /usr/sbin. Allow it to overwrite the existing, then just click on it.

This stopped working. I deleted the original pfbpanel or it may have been fbpanel then placed new one above. On reboot would revert to orginal without cpu temp, dragged icon from /usr/sbin to desktop then clicking would restore until today. at startup desktop icon was unavailable, opened/usr/sbin clicking on pfbpanel did nothing so looks like there is a lack of permanence.

Cannot imagine why that should be and have not experienced this myself. As a matter of interest, could you see if there is a copy of pfbpanel in /sbin/, as well as usr/sbin?

There is a copy in usr/sbin/ because I replaced it today with your copy but none in /sbin/. there is a fbsplash in /sbin/.
stu90

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:28    Post subject:  

DaveS,
In opera 11.50 do you have any problems with opera menu > extension > get extensions page not loading - i also cant log into yahoo mail.

I have tried Terryph 11.50.sfs and running portable from the 11.50 tar.gz opera download no joy. Sad

This is only happening for me with Opera 11.50 my firefox 5 portable works.
jim3630

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:32    Post subject:  

installed aria2 which woks without issue then added aria2fe and get this error.

sh-4.1# aria2fe
aria2fe: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:38    Post subject:  

stu90 wrote:
DaveS,
In opera 11.50 do you have any problems with opera menu > extension > get extensions page not loading - i also cant log into yahoo mail.

I have tried Terryph 11.50.sfs and running portable from the 11.50 tar.gz opera download no joy. Sad

Just checked it... no problems at all. I just downloaded the .deb from Opera.com, undebbed it, stuck the whole thing in a directory opera at mnt home, symlinked it into root and run it with /root/opera/opera

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:56    Post subject:  

Quote:
... If you install that bug existing version and use it in your build puplets you can wreak a bad situation if you change the hostname. Why in earth people wants to do that hostname changing anyway. ...
There is a VERY good reason for this requirement. An International standard dating all the way back to 1983. I had occasion to comment then when they came up with LAN addressing approach.

The rule that is "taught" in all LAN networking classes that I am aware is that each LAN PC is a unique element in the network. There are 3 things which are unique to each element:
  • NIC's MAC address
  • IP address
  • hostname
Much network software over the almost 30 years depend on these unique items. Administrators are taught that they have responsibility to insure that no 2 elements (PC, cameras, phones, etc.) will duplicate this information. Thus, no 2 PCs on any LAN should broadcast the same hostname. That is the reason Shinobar added the field, for, he understood that you could have more than one Puppy on your LAN. And it would give at system start the opportunity to insure (probably not the right word, but I think we understand the intent) that the booting PC would get a unique name.

The standard exist to be OS independent with the expectation that all LAN OSs will respect properly.

I guess my concern is whether this is something wrong with the hostname command (not Puppy) or whether its a distro specific problem with each and every distro.

Hope this helps

pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 14:28    Post subject:  

Gcmartin. You are right. I had just too narrowed perspect to the hostnaming. I have been too long just home user with my comps.

But what is wrong with hostname command. I am still at loss....
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 14:33    Post subject: Hostname  

Checking other distro to see if they exhibit the same hostname problem as found here in Puppy.

On checking on another Linux distro, I logged into a Ubuntu server and did the following from my ID with root access rights.
  1. I checked the HOSTNAME environment variable. It matches the STDout of hostname command
  2. I changed the hostname in a terminal window using the system's hostname command.
  3. I closed the terminal and reopened it.on the desktop
  4. The HOSTNAME is now set to the new, changed from the hostname command
This is consistent with the ISO standard.
I don't know how they accomplished it. Whether is a Linux solution or something they did local. I know also, that it works this way with SUSE servers as well.

Edited: Also tested. The problem does not exist on Fedora, HPUX, AIX, and on PartedMagic as well. Parted Magic is closest to Puppy in that it is a RAM based small Linux distro. Observations show that the "hostname" command problem to be only on Puppy.

Hope this is helpful information for us.

Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 14:40; edited 4 times in total
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 14:44    Post subject: Explain the console list.  

pemasu wrote:
Gcmartin. You are right. I had just too narrowed perspect to the hostnaming. I have been too long just home user with my comps.

But what is wrong with hostname command. I am still at loss....
If you look down the console listing from the terminal here, you will notice the differences between what the /etc/hostname, the /etc/hosts (which has the correct hostname information; namely "Polar02-Laptop") and the SET command's output for HOSTNAME (which does not contain the correct hostname; namely "puppypc").

Somewhere after system startup and the running of Personalize Settings where the hostname is set to a unique name all things were not made consistent. The hostname should be the same (consistent) among all 3 of these fields. But, for some reason, they are not.

/etc... had correct info...but HOSTNAME is not correct.

This should be an automatic whenever the hostname command is run in any Linux system.

I think this is an OS level problem because the system's hostname command is not changing all thngs correctly. BUT, I;m not the expert to make that call.

Hope this helps

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 15:02    Post subject:  

@gcmartin: People have been running Puppy networks for years where all the machines are named "puppypc". Could you please describe a situation where this is a problem?

The only one I can think of is where multiple machines are running Samba servers. But this is easily resolved by giving each server a unique name in its smb.conf.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 15:08    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Thanks @Rcrsn51

As you know I am aware of the Netbios field in smb.conf.

This, I share here, is about whether the system hostname command is the root for "the fields in the system" not getting updated correctly. These fields are suppose to be the same.

This has nothing to do with SAMBA, per se. All applications within the Linux system draw upon the fields from time to time as required. They are suppose to match what the hostname command does on behalf of the PC admin/user, I believe.

Hope this helps

Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 15:18; edited 2 times in total
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 15:14    Post subject:  

I think so also that main thing is that /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts has same hostname. Rox relies on that.

The possible reasons that shell variables are not updated can be many.
Firstly. The shell variables locations might be slightly different in puppies. So the updating of them might not be succesful.
Secondly Busybox commands are not fully functional. They lack options.

I am just guessing now of the reason why shell variable hostname is not updated. But I am not so sure it causes any problems.

Interesting finding anyway.
jim3630

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 15:26    Post subject:  

stu90 wrote:
DaveS,

stu90, also have opera 11.50 portable with same problem on extensions page but am able to log into yahoo.mail for what it's worth.
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 15:30    Post subject:  

jim3630 wrote:
stu90 wrote:
DaveS,

stu90, also have opera 11.50 portable with same problem on extensions page but am able to log into yahoo.mail for what it's worth.

OK logging into Yahoo here. Must be your version....

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 15:32    Post subject: getting environment variable /etc/hostname /etc/hosts 2Bsame  

Yes, I understand.

Before the discovery, ROX, if it looked at the 3 fields, it saw possibly differing things. With the update of insuring /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts consistentcy, ROX performance changes significantly for the user experience. I cannot think of a single person who did not benefit from that update in hostname processing in "Personalize Settings".

We may not be able to pinpoint exactly who benefits from correcting this problem. But should this be corrected, we will be assured that whichever applications use any of the 3 fields in Linux, the answer will be the same....as it should.

This reporting is mainly an alert. I did not, nor cannot say specifically who in Linux uses the fields we're discussing.

But, I'm sure all of us would agree that we don't want one application/subsystem thinking the hostname is one thing while another thinks its something completely different because of the differences between each fields information.

All in all, though, Puppy is constantly maturing.

Hope this helps.

sszindian

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 16:13    Post subject: 263  

(1) Fresh download 263 - All went well.
(2) Loaded per instructions - pfix=ram
(3) Installed Pwidgets from Quickpet... After installation pwidgets would NOT change color-theme and all text stayed WHITE no matter the color I choose.. This happened also back in 525 development somewhere?
(4) Installed Iron-12 from ibiblio, transfered some other .pet's from downloads in 262 over to new Downloads file in 263 to install later.
(5) Did normal shutdown... asked if I wanted to save the file... I said Yes... it than said... 'No Suitable Drive To Install File On' then sutdown without saving anything. (I have several other puppy save files on that HHD so it's not my equipment!)

Not much else to test if I can't save it?

>>>---Indian------>

Page 23 of 91 [1351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 89, 90, 91 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: