Polarpup-005 with Qt4-4.8.0 and Gstreamer libs inbuild

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#161 Post by James C »

Now that things appear to be back to a state of semi-normal.... Polarpup-002 live multi-session cd. looks good so far.

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2854MB (202MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 10 Jul 2011 08:50:00 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

gcmartin

HOSTNAME environment variable

#162 Post by gcmartin »

Should this be reported here? I'm guessing this may something that
  1. FirstRUN/Personalize Settings should address.
  2. Or the hostname command in the terminal has been crippled?
    Note: Pay close attention to the HOSTNAME environment variable

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# echo "Set the LAN Hostname at Startup via Personalize Settings to PolarPUP02-Laptop"
Set the LAN Hostname at Startup via Personalize Settings to PolarPUP02-Laptop

sh-4.1# echo "Check system's values to see if all is well"
Check system's values to see if all is well

sh-4.1# hostname
Polar02-Laptop

sh-4.1# cat /etc/hostname
Polar02-Laptop

sh-4.1# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost Polar02-Laptop
192.168.1.1 pc2
192.168.1.2 pc3
192.168.1.3 pc4

sh-4.1# echo "Everything above is what should be expected in Linux, but ..."
Everything above is what should be expected in Linux, but ...

sh-4.1# echo "HOSTNAME error can be seen below!"
HOSTNAME error can be seen below!
sh-4.1# set
BASH=/bin/sh
BASHOPTS=cmdhist:expand_aliases:extquote:force_fignore:hostcomplete:interactive_comments:progcomp:promptvars:sourcepath
BASH_ALIASES=()
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_CMDS=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="4" [1]="1" [2]="0" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="i686-pc-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='4.1.0(1)-release'
COLORTERM=roxterm
COLUMNS=80
DEFAULTBROWSER=firefox
DEFAULTDRAW=inkscapelite
DEFAULTHTMLEDITOR=geany
DEFAULTIMAGEEDITOR=mtpaint
DEFAULTIMAGEVIEWER=geeqie
DEFAULTMEDIAPLAYER=umplayer
DEFAULTPAINT=mtpaint
DEFAULTSPREADSHEET=gnumeric
DEFAULTTEXTEDITOR=geany
DEFAULTWORDPROCESSOR=abiword
DIRSTACK=()
DISPLAY=:0.0
EDITOR=mp
EUID=0
GDK_USE_XFT=1
GROUPS=()
G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HISTFILE=/root/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=2000
HISTSIZE=1000
HOME=/root
HOSTNAME=puppypc
HOSTTYPE=i686
IFS=' 	
'
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
LANG=en_US
LC_COLLATE=en_US
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/opt/qt4/lib
LINES=24
LOGNAME=root
MACHTYPE=i686-pc-linux-gnu
MAILCHECK=60
MAKE=make
MM_RUNASROOT=1
MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OSTYPE=linux-gnu
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/X11R7/bin:/root/my-applications/bin:/opt/qt4/bin
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig::/opt/qt4/lib/pkgconfig
POSIXLY_CORRECT=y
PPID=27962
PREFIX=/usr
PS1='\s-\v\$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PWD=/root
QT4DIR=/opt/qt4
QT_XFT=true
RGBDEF=/usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
ROXTERM_ID=0x812f5e0
ROXTERM_NUM=1
ROXTERM_PID=27962
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor:posix
SHLVL=3
TERM=xterm
UID=0
USER=root
WINDOWID=33554473
WINDOWPATH=4
XDG_CACHE_HOME=/root/.cache
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/root/.config
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:/usr/local/share
XDG_DATA_HOME=/root/.local/share
XFINANSDIR=/root/.xfinans
XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
_=/bin/sh
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 16:28, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#163 Post by pemasu »

Tempestuous has updated the Gnomad2 for access of certain MP3 players.
Libmtp is already included in Polarpup but tempestuous has made the recent Gnomad2 for Lucid Puppies, so that libmtp should not harm Polarpup. Libmtp is newer version in Tempestuous pet.
Gnomad2 is a gui for managing music files on the Creative Nomad/MuVo/Jukebox/Zen range of MP3 players, plus the Dell Digital Jukebox.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... a6974fc3b2

pemasu

#164 Post by pemasu »

Forum malfunction caused gray hairs for those who tried to post feedback yesterday. Thankfully James C responded quickly and got J Murga`s attention.
Thank you both of quick actions.

I think this forum is essential for Puppy, Puplets and for great additional pets which improves the functionality of Puppies. For posting ideas, asking help and getting it this forum is also the best place.

Thanks for this great place and quick actions when needed.

jim3630

#165 Post by jim3630 »

unable in Clementine to set audio output to external tv speakers. Clementine lacks the device selection. I can't figure out how to in the ALSA sound wizard to select ext speakers or is this broken?

marco07

#166 Post by marco07 »

Hi pemasu:
Thanks for polar puppy 002! i have installed it on my oldr desktop an ESI box with Pentium III, 1 GHz, 1.5 GB ram, and on my laptop a Thinkpad R60. They both are performing well and have had no problem so far. Also installed Thunderbird mail client from the the quickpet. I am enjoying their performance. Great Job!
Would you advise what is the best way to install Libre office and Java packages for P002?
Is installation of sfs from quick pet OK? Or are there .pet packages available?
Thanks again!

pemasu

#167 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Hah. I think you have found Clementine usable then. I have not tried to use external speakers.
Do you connect by mini-jack ?

pemasu

#168 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. I believe you have to get external speakers detected at system level, not from Clementine.
I just tested the connection to my living room stereos. I connected the mini-jack plug to the headphone hole. Then in alsamixer I increased the level in headphone and the sound came from speakers connected to the stereos.
Note, I didnt do any s/pdif tinkering, just headphone setting.
Audio settings are sometimes quite hw spesific. The entries in alsamixer and Retrovol differs in different hw.
And I am not expert in this. Smokey01 is surely more handy for example in audio settings.

pemasu

#169 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. For java, you can use the java pet from the link.
For Libre Office. I think that 01Mickos Libre Office gui pet is usable. I have still Libre Office as standalone installation and I havent updated it yet.
Iguleder also has something going on regarding Libre Office.

I remember that I had thiskind discussion in Ice Puppy thread and there was some solutions after my miserable intervention.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/jre-1.6u25-i586.pet

For Libre Office 3.4
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918

For older sfs libre office:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... S_sfs4.sfs

jim3630

#170 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. I believe you have to get external speakers detected at system level, not from Clementine.
I just tested the connection to my living room stereos. I connected the mini-jack plug to the headphone hole. Then in alsamixer I increased the level in headphone and the sound came from speakers connected to the stereos.
Note, I didnt do any s/pdif tinkering, just headphone setting.
Audio settings are sometimes quite hw spesific. The entries in alsamixer and Retrovol differs in different hw.
And I am not expert in this. Smokey01 is surely more handy for example in audio settings.
I'm connected by DMDI 0 (hw 0.3). was able today to output sound to the tv with vlc and SMplayer as they have that function selection built in.

added gnomad2-2-96 and gstreamer_phono-deps-0.0.1 and now have no sound output in notebook or external.

jim3630

#171 Post by jim3630 »

also ALSA sound wizard flashes open but closes when choose "One: Adjust levels"

looks like new savefile.

pemasu

#172 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. That gstreamer-phono libs package is the one I made for Polarpup and it is already installed during woof building stage. It has combined Ubuntu libs for audio-video-media functionality and gstreamer libs with about 190 plugins.
You should not install it. It is not useful and only eats your savefile.

Installing Gnomad2 didnt brake sound in my laptop.

I think that installing again that massive libs pet might have broken your existing system. Gstreamer has somekind mechanism to detect and preserve system information of hardware and functionality. At least some gstreamer plugins might not be used as they used to be.

I uploaded that massive gstreamer enabling libs pet if someone wants the functionality of it in Lucid based Puppy without need to install them one by one from the PPM.

jim3630

#174 Post by jim3630 »

this is a time when an option to close without saving would undo this correct?

jim3630

#175 Post by jim3630 »

posting from 263 noticed has updated version of ALSA wizard 1.0.24.2 and Alsamixer in multimedia. I'm easily able to select setting for external speakers HDA intel: HDMI 0 (hw 0.3). Nice

pemasu

#176 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Polarpup has alsa 1.0.24.2 also, lol, so not so old. And thank you of that alsamixer in menu tip. I will include it to the next build.
In Polarpup alsamixer works from the console. But the entry in menu is much better.
I just usually do changes in Retrovol so I havent thought about menu entry for alsamixer.

jim3630

#177 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. Polarpup has alsa 1.0.24.2 also, lol, so not so old. And thank you of that alsamixer in menu tip. I will include it to the next build.
In Polarpup alsamixer works from the console. But the entry in menu is much better.
I just usually do changes in Retrovol so I havent thought about menu entry for alsamixer.
yes alsa is same in 263 just looks different. alsa wizard does offer device option but I'm unable to get it to recognize external speaker regardless of syntax used. tried HDMI 0. HDMI 0 (hw 0.3). 0.3

pulled up alsamixer but unable to get exteral speakers working in clementine. those programs that have the selection option built in like vlc, smplayer then it does work.

Retrovol also works from console but doesn't give option for device.

pemasu

#178 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. HDMI sounds much more familiar than DMDI. Now I know what you try to do. I think alsa 1.0.24 is the first alsa version which offers HDMI usability. I can be wrong.

Alsawizard usage is bad because it hardcodes the selection. Dont use it if you can. Barry has now even made the gui to warn about using it.

But.....You can try with Multiple soundcard wizard pet if you can change the soundcard to use HDMI.

I am not tested HDMI connection in Puppies. Interesting thing that you get it working in Luci 263. I need to test HDMI also in Polarpup and in Luci 263.
I have unfortunately quite difficult hw for audio. I didnt get sound at latest spup with pmusic at all.

It can be also that my 2.6.38 kernel and alsa detection is not 100 % working. So maybe lack of HDMI is the distro problem. Lets see.
Attachments
Multiple_Soundcard_Wiz-1.0.pet
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

pemasu

#179 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. I just want to be sure. Did you get HDMI audio working in Polarpup with VLC and Umplayer or did you mean Luci 263 only.

jim3630

#180 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. I just want to be sure. Did you get HDMI audio working in Polarpup with VLC and Umplayer or did you mean Luci 263 only.
Glad you recognized my fubar. Yes got working in Polarpup with above packages. Used your multicard pet, rebooted and it works outputting audio to the tv!!

what's not working is flsyclient it only remains off moments once saved the choice for off.

Pulled a symlink to desktop from opera portable and it's gone from the desktop after reboot.

Like the new wallpaper alot.