Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 05:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 9 of 91 [1351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 89, 90, 91 Next
sszindian

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2011, 19:40    Post subject: 260 Report!  

Mplayer... works fine when in minimized mode. Change to full-screen and the video starts to lag behing the audio and just gets slower as the video plays but... when you switch back to minimized mode, the video runs like a little rabbit until it catches up to the audio... really, kinda funny to watch!

pupxscreensaver-1.1.pet works nice with about 80% or so of the various patterns in it. I had to install Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid graphics from the PPM to keep the yellow-error-text from appearing on the screensaver. Also put a 'xscr' script in Startup folder so you don't have to keep re-starting the daemon.

Printer (hp 1050 All-in-One j410 series) installed and worked installing the hpijs-3.10.6-dynppd from the PPM But... hplip-3.9.12-scan from the PPM would NOT get the scanner going... Installing hplip-3.11.1 from elsewhere in the forum did the job and it scans great.

Iron 10 browser installed and works without a hitch... for those of you who haven't tried Iron yet, do yourself a favor and try it!

260 seems to be performing very well other than the Mplayer thing! Looks like it will have the makings of a top-notch Puppy down the road.

>>>---Indian------>

playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2011, 20:45    Post subject: Re: 260 Report!  

sszindian wrote:
Mplayer... works fine when in minimized mode. Change to full-screen and the video starts to lag behing the audio and just gets slower as the video plays but... when you switch back to minimized mode, the video runs like a little rabbit until it catches up to the audio... really, kinda funny to watch!

Iron 10 browser installed and works without a hitch... for those of you who haven't tried Iron yet, do yourself a favor and try it!

260 seems to be performing very well other than the Mplayer thing! Looks like it will have the makings of a top-notch Puppy down the road.

>>>---Indian------>

luci-261, the next development release in a day or two, will have the a different ffmpeg library--I may have gotten over-excited, or maybe just an anomaly. But please try then.

Have you tried Iron 12? http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/Iron-12-Lucid.pet

Quote:
One reason more to upgrade gtkdialog3 binary:

01micko has remade the Nathan wallpaper setter with updating pic viewer.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69658

Micko's the Man!
tempestuous

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2011, 23:54    Post subject:  

jim3630 wrote:
... Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:4727] using the wl.ko driver.
Wonder why this puppy with the older kernel 2.6.33 now can not connect.

The troublesome Broadcom wifi chips have a long and chequered history with Puppy. Some variants of this wifi chip will only work properly with the proprietary "wl" driver, instead of the opensource "b43" driver included as standard with most recent Puppy versions.
To complicate matters, the b43 driver depends on an underlying driver called "ssb" which also supports a range of other Broadcom devices such as USB interfaces. So when you install the proprietary driver, you must disable (or unload) the ssb driver to avoid a conflict, then other devices (especially on laptops) may fail to work!
The only comprehensive way to deal with the situation is to modify the ssb driver to disable support for device ID's also supported by the proprietary driver. That way there will never be a conflict, and the two drivers can happily coexist.
But this modification must be carried through to the ssb driver contained in Puppy's initrd, and there's significant work involved in remastering Puppy to achieve all of this.
There has been one such Puppy variant produced in the past by forum member jrb (which I helped with) -
"Special Puppy431 for broadcom 4312 (and other?) wifi cards"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50570

At present, the best practical solution is for Broadcom wifi users to install the proprietary driver as an add-on. In my opinion the proprietary driver is too difficult to deal with as an integrated solution.
And quite frankly, the problem is caused by Broadcom, not by any failing of Linux.

For the very latest 2.6.39 kernels (and future Puppies) there is now a new opensource Broadcom wifi driver called "brcmsmac" which should solve the problem.
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 00:54    Post subject:  

Playdayz,

I am seeing posts where people, with ATI video cards, are having problems with the Radeon driver. Seems to be newer cards.

Example:
Quote:
Next the new Luci-260. Just like rexbang24, LiveCD and Universal Installer, no Save file possible through loss of monitor signal - dead black screen when trying to reboot, or just going to the command prompt - typing 'xwin' to the black screen restored the radeon display. Installed the ATI_fglrx-10.10-Lucid.pet (ATI-Catalyst pet) and restarting X activated the new driver and the loss of display did not occur thereafter. Both the 260 Frugal and the Full install have gone well - typing now from the Full Luci-260 in Seamonkey-2.0.13.

DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 01:25    Post subject:  

Bert wrote:

Next, I started translating ~/.config/fbpanel/default

Please help! What is the correct way to do this?
Thanks in advance.

Bert, ANY changes you make to /root/.config/fbpanel/default will be overwritten back to the original when fixmenus is run. To make your edits persistent, you must edit the source files fbpanel uses. I think you will need to modify the /usr/sbin/pfbpanel script to achieve this. You will find the section you want about two thirds the way through the script.

maxerro

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 04:05    Post subject: mrxvt  

For anyone who wanted to test mrxvt, or just doesn't like urxvt and wants to try an alternative terminal emulator, please download the attachment. Program settings are in /root/.mrxvtrc. Modifying these will satisfy most users. More configurable options on the Net. Doesn't support unicode (yet), so urxvt still has that (and only that) advantage.

Default font is gorgeous Liberation Mono (can be changed in the settings file). Some preconfigured shortcuts create new tabs: Ctrl+Shift+N; scroll console output: Ctrl+Up/Down; switch to next/previous tab: Ctrl+Right/Left, paste selection: Shift+Insert...

Only 168KB unpacked, no further dependencies needed.
mrxvt-0.5.4.pet
Description  a small tabbed terminal emulator
pet

Download 
Filename  mrxvt-0.5.4.pet 
Filesize  127.18 KB 
Downloaded  123 Time(s) 
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 05:25    Post subject:  

Quote:
I may have gotten over-excited

Very Happy

We now have a wiki page.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/puppy526

Smokeys docs are really Lucid Wink
My radeon ATI (crystal graphics) driver from quickpet seems to be OK
FF5 with Flash seems to be running OK (so far - touch wood - my head in this case)
Sound seemed to turn off after a reboot. Not sure why . . .

stu90

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 06:07    Post subject:  

Nice wallpaper on this link:
http://www.gaia10.us/gallery/gallery-see-the-world/
Bert

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 06:37    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:

Bert, ANY changes you make to /root/.config/fbpanel/default will be overwritten back to the original when fixmenus is run. To make your edits persistent, you must edit the source files fbpanel uses. I think you will need to modify the /usr/sbin/pfbpanel script to achieve this. You will find the section you want about two thirds the way through the script.

Thanks Dave.
That worked for the Shutdown and Help menus.
I will now have to find out were the source file for the submenus is hiding.. Wink

stu90

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 06:38    Post subject: Re: mrxvt  

maxerro wrote:
For anyone who wanted to test mrxvt, or just doesn't like urxvt and wants to try an alternative terminal emulator, please download the attachment. Program settings are in /root/.mrxvtrc. Modifying these will satisfy most users. More configurable options on the Net. Doesn't support unicode (yet), so urxvt still has that (and only that) advantage.

Default font is gorgeous Liberation Mono (can be changed in the settings file). Some preconfigured shortcuts create new tabs: Ctrl+Shift+N; scroll console output: Ctrl+Up/Down; switch to next/previous tab: Ctrl+Right/Left, paste selection: Shift+Insert...

Only 168KB unpacked, no further dependencies needed.

Just tried mrxvt, its not bad although it seems to suffer the same problem as urxvt with font spacing.

Has a very similar setup file to urxvt - i don't suppose it would take much to addapt urxvtset gui for mrxvt:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68624

Overall I think if the terminal is to be upgraded it is probably best to go with one that does font spacing correctly and has a inbuilt setup gui.
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 08:02    Post subject:  

Here's my favorite, 53 KB and supports transparency, tinting and whatever. Smile

Now try to beat this package Laughing
aterm-1.0.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  aterm-1.0.1.pet 
Filesize  52.37 KB 
Downloaded  138 Time(s) 

ICQ Number 
smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 08:48    Post subject:  

After installing aterm try:

aterm -title 'Puppy Linux' -tr -sh 70 -trsb

Pretty cool.

Thanks Iguleder
aterm.jpg
 Description   Screeny
 Filesize   79.52 KB
 Viewed   734 Time(s)

aterm.jpg

DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:21    Post subject:  

Bert wrote:
DaveS wrote:

Thanks Dave.
That worked for the Shutdown and Help menus.
I will now have to find out were the source file for the submenus is hiding.. Wink

/usr/share/desktop.directories. Open the appropriate submenu.desktop in Geany and edit the name tag I think Smile
Could have a load of fun with this.....

playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:26    Post subject:  

Quote:
loss of monitor signal - dead black screen when trying to reboot, or just going to the command prompt - typing 'xwin' to the black screen restored the radeon display. Installed the ATI_fglrx-10.10-Lucid.pet (ATI-Catalyst pet) and restarting X activated the new driver and the loss of display did not occur thereafter.

I saw a similar one--I think it was a newer radeon. I advised to add radeon.modeset=1 to the boot options. On my radeon that causes the font to be smaller when exiting X but I don't have the problem to begin with.

This is a tough call--I may put the modeset command into 261, just to see if it causes any problems.
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:32    Post subject:  

You know that issue (modesetting) is less apparent in newer kernels... Wink
Page 9 of 91 [1351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 89, 90, 91 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: