SD drive woes under Puppeee

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Chiwawa

SD drive woes under Puppeee

#1 Post by Chiwawa »

I'm afraid I'm having a strange issue with my SD drive (or the SD card) under Puppeee. Today, I accidentially shut down Puppeee with a "soft" hardware shotdown while the SD drive was mounted. After booting Puppeee again, the SD drive is nowhere to be found. It's not showing up on the desktop, and Puppeee Drive Mounter, after "probing hardware", will not even start up.

- There seems to be no immediate problem with the SD drive, at least when I check and uncheck the "Enable Card Reader" box in Eee-control, Puppeee will tell me "Card reader enabled" respectively "Card Reader disabled".

- There seems to be no immediate problem with the SD card either, because it still shows up just fine under windows.

So now I'm stuck. Any ideas please how I can access SD cards again under Puppeee? Thanks!

PS: Oh, and I've just tried a different SD card and that doesn't work either, so it's definitely not about the card. I've also booted into Puppeee live (without saved settings) but that didn't help.

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

When you hold down esc key on boot do you see the card?

aarf

#3 Post by aarf »

Also check in the onboard device configuration in advanced in the bios F2 on boot.

Dave_B

#4 Post by Dave_B »

I have a SD card in an IDE adapter on my laptop (I'm using it now). A while ago I had a similar problem and I found that the adapter had backed out of the connector on the motherboard. I plugged it back in and blocked it from backing out again with a small felt pad used to cushion chair legs.
Dave

aarf

#5 Post by aarf »

is the sdcard in this folder /root/.pup_event/

headfound

#6 Post by headfound »

checking the bios is a good idea, you could also try a hard reset - some eee models have a small recessed button to do this, on mine (701sd) you have to hold the power button down for 10 seconds.
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

Chiwawa

#7 Post by Chiwawa »

Thanks for all the replies. To sum up the solution, here's what I did:

Holding down the ESC key did show the device, as did running probedisk2.

# probedisk2
/dev/sda|drive|ATA SILICONMOTION SM
/dev/sdb|usbdrv|USB2.0 CardReader SD0

So I am now able to mount the drive again by running this:

# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdcard

Remaining problem I have - when I put in an SD card, the SD drive would automatically show up as an icon on the desktop. Single click on the icon, and I'd have all the files available. And the drive would also be available to open files via any other application.

So now I have to mount the drive every time I start up Puppeee. I understand that it's probably possible to somehow mount it automatically (although I don't know how to do it yet), but actually I would be happy to restore everything to the convenient setup there was. Also, I'd be happy to find out why Puppeee lost the original setup in the first place, because if it happened once, then it likely to happen again, and then that's not really much better than having to mount manually every time I start up again.

Thanks again!

8-bit

#8 Post by 8-bit »

Have you tried menu/desktop/desktop drive icons manager and then click on "Tic box to erase then redraw and realign drive icons".
After that, restart x and see if all the drive icons show up.
As to mounting a drive/partition on bootup, you might try Starmount.

Chiwawa

#9 Post by Chiwawa »

8-bit wrote:Have you tried menu/desktop/desktop drive icons manager and then click on "Tic box to erase then redraw and realign drive icons".
After that, restart x and see if all the drive icons show up.
As to mounting a drive/partition on bootup, you might try Starmount.
Tried the icons manager, ticked various boxes (including the redraw option), but nothing helped.

Also tried Startmount (System->Control Panel->System). When I set up my SD Card to automount and then startup the system without the SD Card inserted, Startmount goes berzerk and enters an endless loop of probing hardware, being unable to mount and then probing all over again.

Chiwawa

#10 Post by Chiwawa »

Ok, so I am slowly starting to understand.
aarf wrote:is the sdcard in this folder /root/.pup_event/
It is, but .pup_event is hidden and cannot be seen in the file explorer unless you explicitly make it visible.

When I insert the SD card, puppeee adds drive_sdb and drive_sdb1 to the .pup_event folder. I also get a message that Puppy Mounter is probing my hardware, but then it eventually goes away again. In the end, the card neither shows up as an icon on the desktop, nor can I find it in /mnt.

By comparison, when I plug in a USB stick, puppeee also adds the respective files to .pup_event, and Puppy Mounter probes the hardware. But in the end, I get the icons on the desktop, and the USB stick gets mounted.

For what it's worth, when I REMOVE the SD card again, nothing happens. drive_sdb and drive_sdb1 just stay where they are, and Puppeee doesn't say a word. If I do the same thing with the USB stick, the respective files in .pup_event get removed.