phpBB, and its capabilities, patches/updates, forums etc

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Aitch

phpBB, and its capabilities, patches/updates, forums etc

#1 Post by Aitch »

John M wrote:I appreciate feedback around how I can make this site and it's community work better, as it is important to me and I want it to be a better place.
Does any Admin or Moderator know which version of phpBB is used for the forum - and if any scripts/patches are applied which may affect any future applications of such?

The Question has arisen several times when questions as to what can be done to improve things here, are raised

There are phpBB forums for users and admins alike which I would have linked to, but not knowing this site's foundation makes it hard to pin down solutions/modification opportunities, updates/patches/tweaks etc

I will post relevant material here, if and when this basic question is answered

I believe there are considerable improvements to the spam handling, for example, this forum's IP Address is 208.109.22.214, though this maybe godaddy's host address

http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/208.109.22.214

see http://208.109.22.214/puppy

http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkbloc ... 2Fpuppy%2F

Spamcop here [blocklist available, to be used in conjunction with whitelist]

http://spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

robtex appears to show no blocklist implemented, though is not linking to xxxx/puppy

http://www.robtex.com/dns/murga-linux.com.html

Improved forum search is possible with an alphabetic search tag, IF the version was known...

OK?

Trying to assist, since other* usergroup avenues are blocked :!: :shock:

* PLUG

thanks

Aitch :)

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Ooops a friendly PM reminded me that maybe John want that to be a secret so tell it in PM to those involved in PLUG.

Mainly TTuxx then? And you guys can get what that means re the wishes from shariebeth and Aitch?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3 Post by Béèm »

Aitch, did you PM John Murga and make him aware of this thread?
I think only he can reply, if he is willing to, to patches and updates done, or what exactly is implemented.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

Hi Béèm

No, not yet, but I am drafting correspondence just now, on this and other matters, including a searchable database hookup to the server, to help with finding all those answers you know you've read, when helping someone sort a problem :wink:

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Aitch, what about the site that Beem links to in his signature?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage

Them try to set up things so one can find information about Puppy.

All of us doing things volunteer I wonder whom you think will take care of such things.

I do support your goal though.

One way to start would be to ask those that know things how them keep that knowledge so accessable to them.

Beem find knowledge in a good way and rcrsn51 and Sylvander and many many others.

How has/have them organized that knowledge at home? Do them really take it direct from head. Them must have some kind of list or bookmarks or something?

We could ask how them do such remarkable fast answers to even difficult questions a true miracle to me that forget almost everything I have learned within a few hours or even minutes after accomplish even easy things

PS to Aitch, thanks for friendly words in the PLUG part.

Aitch

#6 Post by Aitch »

Nooby

Yes, indeed
Coolpup and darkcity have been quietly labouring away, making vast improvements to the wiki
Thanks, guys, appreciated! :D
I think the database idea is a bit more server search engine oriented, and will, hopefully provide answers to lots of questions which even the well-minded search doesn't do
There are also many other useful tips/links in the search thread, here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29754

...but as someone who spends an inordinate amount of time ferreting around when trying to help noobies solve problems, there are far too many times when I know I've read a solution, but can't find it. My bookmark list is in my head, as I'm often on different PCs, bu I don't know how others do it?

We are making progress, though, and I think John's comment, for which I'm grateful, has given the allclear for PLUG as a concept which can be worked on!

Nooby, you're welcome....I have a Scientist friend who has ADHD, and he's a lot grumpier than you, so I guess I learnt how to communicate, with dignity, as he's often said, many people think his chaos mind means he's stupid.
He's not quite a savant, but he is very clever. I find you quite astute, but just wish you wouldn't be so self-denigrating....that jars more than the quantity you write, to me, and I see no reason for you to have a low self-esteem, you are very capable and experienced . You are old enough to allow yourself more worth, and confidence, IMHO [just a friendly comment, OK?]

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Thanks Aitch, I appreciate your care and friendly way you share your take. How it looks from your perspective. We don't agree on some things but we agree to disagree and don't let that come between us. So a friendly smile from me to you.

Now on topic.

I would ask those that are best to answer the questions on the forum.

How have them organized this knowledge? I agree with you that Coolpup does a good job with the wikka thing.

rcrsn51 is one of those that seems very good at finding good knowledge. How does he do that. We have to ask how him structure it. That would be helpful. Beem is good at it too. and so is many others. None mention none forgotten. :)

Alien Jeff is said to know a lot and willingly share it too. But him is into Arch I've heard.

russoodle

#8 Post by russoodle »

Hi guys..

Regarding the version of phpBB being used here, i know nothinggggg.....and if i did, i wouldn't remember it!

(off with your head, russoodle :wink: )
Last edited by russoodle on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

russoodle cool you also found it. I did mention it too but later edited it out because we got teh impression that John Murga did not want to make it too easy for some spammers to find out but he has to keep that info there because the phpBB people allow free use if one keep that note in there.

So it is kind of complicated. I guess a PM is the more proper way to find out what is working for Moderators and Admins and not talk about it here.

russoodle

#10 Post by russoodle »

Hey nooby.....sorry about that, me and my big mouth :(

Regarding where to keep info so it's well-organised and handy when you need it....why not make good use of that little app called NoteCase? It's similar to a Window$ utility named Treepad that i used to use a lot and it's very versatile. All you really have to remember then is to enter your data, (bookmarks or whatever), so it's all there when you need it :D
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Aitch

#11 Post by Aitch »

Maybe it should be me and my big mouth.....

I got told about the removal in the forum footer, not realising John's intent, and pm'd nooby, who was first....but obviously, having asked....

Apologies if it causes grief

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

Hi Russ
Haha you have humor. I wish me had more of that.

Thanks for suggesting NoteCase, had no idea what that was and have not tested it. I have it on the SnowPup so I will look into it It says about itself this on their homepage

NoteCase is a hierarchical note manager (aka. outliner). It helps you organize your everyday text notes
into a single document, with individual notes placed in the tree-like structure (each note can have its sub-notes, ...).

Nooby's comment. I doubt that I am organized enough to use that kind of software but as I do it now I have two files.
ToDoToday.txt
ToDoSomeday.txt and I use the search in the editor to look for those things I don't remember. Works rather well except me fail to know what search word to use.

sorry off topic Aitch.

Re us apologizing, I guess I apologize too often. Others maybe think I should post less so it kind of solve itself that way. There are always solutions to everything. :)
Last edited by nooby on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

russoodle

#13 Post by russoodle »

Sorry Aitch....posting OT but couldn't help responding to nooby's dilemma there....sorry about earlier faux pas, too....edited now, so hopefully no harm done, but i'd best go stand in the corner, hands on head, away from temptation and mischief :oops:

Aitch

#14 Post by Aitch »

:lol: :lol:

I love this forum at times

Thanks Russ, humourous self edit appreciated

I have no objection to helping nooby, I do it a lot,

He has grown since being here, from nooby to not-so-nooby, but can't change his name without losing all his posts :lol:

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

Aitch said something like "Nooby can't change his name without losing all his posts"

That may be so on other forums but not here with this version of PHPBB does it. It just stay as it is. Or do we have any example that that really happens.

I guess a lot of people would get happy if that did happen.
Some day I maybe ask John Murga to do just that.

I feel rather embarrassed how stubborn I can be and all the low quality advices I gave. ...Thanks for all the friendly humor indeed. Much appreciated.