Puppy Package Site - Planning Stages

News, happenings
Q5sys

Puppy Package Site - Planning Stages

#1 Post by Q5sys »

This is a post to see if there are any web devs out there who might want to help create a site specifically for hosting puppy packages.
Way back in the day I was a part of the BeOS crowd, and a site I checked all the time was http://www.bebits.com/ In a perfect world I'd have a site set up like that, but I dont have the expertise to do so.
Its not intended to replace forum announcements or discussion at all, but to help create more of a central repository of packages for Puppy. Since the .ca/asia sites are now down... its kindof a mess of where things are hosted. There are a few users and devs who are sharing space on their servers but its all a mish mash. It'd be nice if there was some central place everyone could go.

I've got a server being set up shortly which can be used, but Im going to need a web dev or two to help make it attractive an simple to navigate.

Anyone interested?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Have placed a link here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/NoobHelp

It might be worth contacting Eric (caneri) and Prit (Prithish) who helped with coding, directly by PM (private message).
MU too, if having the time, might have code and advice.
Warren (whodo) hosted files.

Maybe someone else is able or thinking of mirroring such an endeavor? 8)

Some sort of click and drag files form
and a pull down menu for which Puppy or puplet it is for
would be a great incentive for uploaders :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

noryb009

#3 Post by noryb009 »

I created a something somewhat like bebits (a lot worse looking, though), called PPMo. It never caught on, though, due to low user interest because of lack of pets, and low compiler interest because of lack of user interest.

Q5sys

#4 Post by Q5sys »

noryb009 wrote:I created a something somewhat like bebits (a lot worse looking, though), called PPMo. It never caught on, though, due to low user interest because of lack of pets, and low compiler interest because of lack of user interest.
I think the key in making something work is sucessful promotion of the idea to the forum. Thats the hard part. I'm not sure I know the best way to do that... but I can try something. I am thinking perhaps first we start doing it as a repo for the new slack based release that is forth coming, and then try to expand it out to all releases.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Good plan :)
As you are probably aware Mick is storing the spup (pre alpha Puppy 5.3 'Spot') here:
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... ages-spup/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

noryb009

#6 Post by noryb009 »

Q5sys wrote:
noryb009 wrote:I created a something somewhat like bebits (a lot worse looking, though), called PPMo. It never caught on, though, due to low user interest because of lack of pets, and low compiler interest because of lack of user interest.
I think the key in making something work is sucessful promotion of the idea to the forum. Thats the hard part. I'm not sure I know the best way to do that... but I can try something. I am thinking perhaps first we start doing it as a repo for the new slack based release that is forth coming, and then try to expand it out to all releases.
I agree. I have updated it to include Puppy 530. Hopefully the dev's put a link to it in the menu or somewhere.
Good plan
As you are probably aware Mick is storing the spup (pre alpha Puppy 5.3 'Spot') here:
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... ages-spup/
I might add some of that into PPMo today, just to get a bit more content.

Q5sys

#7 Post by Q5sys »

noryb009 wrote:[I agree. I have updated it to include Puppy 530. Hopefully the dev's put a link to it in the menu or somewhere.

I might add some of that into PPMo today, just to get a bit more content.
When I checked your site... I kept selecting different options but always ended up with "Could not find any packages in this category!"
I tried like 10 different combinations and they all came up with the same thing. Also while the interface is simple enough... theres too many options that result in nothing useful.

Also the site is placed kinda hidden on another server.
I've bought the domain http://puppy-packages.org which should help it get a bit more visibility.
If you want... once I get the server set up... you can move your ppmo site over until we are able to get something better set up.
I can set you up with FTP access so you can just drop everything over and be good to go.

noryb009

#8 Post by noryb009 »

When I checked your site... I kept selecting different options but always ended up with "Could not find any packages in this category!"
I tried like 10 different combinations and they all came up with the same thing. Also while the interface is simple enough... theres too many options that result in nothing useful.
That is because there are about 5 packages in the system right now. :oops:
Also the site is placed kinda hidden on another server.
I've bought the domain http://puppy-packages.org which should help it get a bit more visibility.
If you want... once I get the server set up... you can move your ppmo site over until we are able to get something better set up.
I can set you up with FTP access so you can just drop everything over and be good to go.
Thank you for the offer! I just hope it will get more well known. PPMo uses a MySQL backend, It wouldn't take that much work to get it set up. PM me if you want.

pacer106

Possible Package Storage Idea

#9 Post by pacer106 »

hello all puppy fans

i have been looking around on the forum for ways i might be able to help. ive found this package manager issue 1 i might be able to help in some way.

i have used a storage site for a few years & recently they have added a few tool i think may help with storing & allowing easier access to pet packages & puplets.

the site is called 4shared im sure some people have heard of it & used it.

4shared recently has packaged a downloader for linux. it is in .deb format. i personally have tried to install it after using the deb2pet package but it did not work. im not very used to compiling either but i attempted to do that to no avail.

i have the 4shared desktop .deb file (4shared upload/downloader). if anyone is interested in tryin to get it working on puppy that would be great.

4shared also recently added ftp access to stored files. im not sure when but they also added webdev (web folders) as a way to access files stored.

my idea was to use the webdev (webfolders) to mirror all the puppy packages & puplets.

i found a linux program for using webdev but i have no idea on how to compile it myself to see if it will work in puppy.

in my searches on 4shared i did find they have a google code development package im guessing for building software to work with uploading & downloading on 4shared but im no expert.

if anyone is interested in possibly helping me to build the webdev package to work in puppy i can give the links to the places i found it at.

i am willing to do all the gathering of the pets & puplets along with organizing them to the best of my ability for the puppy community.

hope to hear from some puppy gurus who might be willing to help with this mirroring project i have in mind.

p.s. sorry if i seem all over the place in my post im not sure where to start on this so getting my whole idea out so anyone can help me get the ball rolling on mirroring everything possible on 1 already established server.
Last edited by pacer106 on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 19:13, edited 2 times in total.

pacer106

Idea For Mirroring

#10 Post by pacer106 »

hello all puppy fans

i have been looking around on the forum for ways i might be able to help. ive found this package manager issue 1 i might be able to help in some way.

i have used a storage site for a few years & recently they have added a few tool i think may help with storing & allowing easier access to pet packages & puplets.

the site is called 4shared im sure some people have heard of it & used it.

4shared recently has packaged a downloader for linux. it is in .deb format. i personally have tried to install it after using the deb2pet package but it did not work. im not very used to compiling either but i attempted to do that to no avail.

i have the 4shared desktop .deb file (4shared upload/downloader). if anyone is interested in tryin to get it working on puppy that would be great.

4shared also recently added ftp access to stored files. im not sure when but they also added webdev (web folders) as a way to access files stored.

my idea was to use the webdev (webfolders) to mirror all the puppy packages & puplets.

i found a linux program for using webdev but i have no idea on how to compile it myself to see if it will work in puppy.

in my searches on 4shared i did find they have a google code development package im guessing for building software to work with uploading & downloading on 4shared but im no expert.

if anyone is interested in possibly helping me to build the webdev package to work in puppy i can give the links to the places i found it at.

i am willing to do all the gathering of the pets & puplets along with organizing them to the best of my ability for the puppy community.

hope to hear from some puppy gurus who might be willing to help with this mirroring project i have in mind.

p.s. sorry if i seem all over the place in my post im not sure where to start on this so getting my whole idea out so anyone can help me get the ball rolling on mirroring everything possible on 1 already established server.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

noryb009

#11 Post by noryb009 »

It looks like the file is just a desktop client for uploading programs, allowing you to pause and stuff.

Right now, puppy compilers usually use their own (shared) servers to host packages, or use an uploading site like 4shared. See this thread for more.
i have been looking around on the forum for ways i might be able to help.
What can you do? Do you know how to program? Do you have a lot of time? Bandwidth? There's a lot to do, it just depends on what you can do.

pacer106

#12 Post by pacer106 »

What can you do? Do you know how to program? Do you have a lot of time? Bandwidth? There's a lot to do, it just depends on what you can do.
No i can not program ive dreamed of being that good but the best i can do is hack someone elses code to what i like after some studying of what does what. i cant start somethin from nothing lol.

Yes i have lots of time on my hands.

I think i have unlimited bandwidth as im on broadband internet in my home. never had a problem downloading tons of stuff or uploading lots of things.

I can not do a lot but am willing to learn if anyone is willing to teach :)

i know the 4shared desktop is just a download manager for 4shared i thought it would work well as a common pet that would allow anyone who has it installed access to an account setup for the community.

for example i could sign up with lets say google mail then activate a 4shared account with it giving everyone who has access to ths forum the sign in info for the 4shared account then allowing them to download whatever they want.

i was thinking depending on the amount of MB's for each pupet & its special packages could each have their own account.

4shared allows files up to 2 GB's in size & a total of 10 GB's of storage.
i believe there is no bandwidth limits on free accounts as well.

noryb009

#13 Post by noryb009 »

...the best i can do is hack someone elses code to what i like after some studying of what does what.
There are a few projects that you could help on, if your interested and know the program, like GTK dialog. You can look for more in the Puppy Projects and Cutting Edge boards. This would also help you get better at programming.
Yes i have lots of time on my hands.
You can help test betas.
I think i have unlimited bandwidth as im on broadband internet in my home. never had a problem downloading tons of stuff or uploading lots of things.
To find out, you can phone your ISP, or if you recently switched plans/ISPs, you can look at your ISP's site (if you've had them for a while, the plans may have changed). If you have extra/unlimited bandwidth, and you have enough resources, you can set up a server. That's completely up to you, though.
I can not do a lot but am willing to learn if anyone is willing to teach
There are 2 main places you can teach, in the Beginners Help board and on the wikka.
i know the 4shared desktop is just a download manager for 4shared i thought it would work well as a common pet that would allow anyone who has it installed access to an account setup for the community.
The problem would be the ad page 4shared makes you download from - some new members might get confused and think Puppy is a virus by sending them to spam sites.

ttuuxxx

#14 Post by ttuuxxx »

If your going to host pets/iso's just remember that puppylinux.ca was getting I think it was around 3TB of downloads a month at the time and increasing as the months went on, it was extremely hard for Eric to foot the bill and also his server providers still had issues about the amount of downloads per month and sometimes they would block downloads after a certain target, some servers say they are unlimited but once they feel the puppy crunch they quickly turn face on you. Just something to keep in mind.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Caneri

#15 Post by Caneri »

Hi Jeff,

Yes it takes lots of bandwidth, and a LOT of time spent to develop the server and domains.

It also takes a LONG time to develop a good Puppy site for download. That is very difficult to do IMO without a sponsor to help with costs.

Smokey and Suz are seeing this now...and all my best to them..E
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Q5sys

#16 Post by Q5sys »

ttuuxxx wrote:If your going to host pets/iso's just remember that puppylinux.ca was getting I think it was around 3TB of downloads a month at the time and increasing as the months went on, it was extremely hard for Eric to foot the bill and also his server providers still had issues about the amount of downloads per month and sometimes they would block downloads after a certain target, some servers say they are unlimited but once they feel the puppy crunch they quickly turn face on you. Just something to keep in mind.
ttuuxxx
sorry for being MIA for a bit. I was not planning on having the site host ISOs... mainly just Pets. I think that will cut down on a large chunk of the bandwidth. If I can get it down to about 1tb a month I should be ok.
Ive always felt that the iso hosting is what was the biggest hit to hosting. After all normal 100mb iso downloaded 100 times is 10gb of data transfer. Now take that and imagine 20 or 30 isos... and you're talking over 300gb right there. And I think 100 downloads is a small esimate. I'm sure some of the larger released hit 1000 easy... probably even up to around 10K in their lifetime.

All that being said if I can get webdev help... id consider putting down more money on my end so that I can host isos on a limited basis.

sc0ttman

#17 Post by sc0ttman »

Just in case this helps, I have found Hostgator to be great - not only cheap, but friendly, helpful and reliable, and I cannot say that for all of them (GoDaddy, and others, I'm looking at you!)!!

My bandwidth so far this month is 13,914MB and they never hassle me or nag me or anything. I am using around 3GB diskspace apparently, a well.

I'm not hosting much, but know of people who are, they also had no problems. For the price, it is fantastic.

I've got unlimited email accounts, SQL databases (rare), FTP accounts, sub domains, etc, ... And my sites went down only once in 2 years and (only for about 20 mins)...

I checked twitter live feeds for 'hostgator' when it went down, and others like me were shocked - it seems it was the first time for well over year that anyone had any problems with their hosting! Made me feel good.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Q5sys

#18 Post by Q5sys »

Ive wanted to do this for a while now. but ive had another idea...
I originally was thinking of doing this through a webgui as you can see in the thread. But I'm ok if we can script out the whole thing and make a program that'll run like Pacman in Arch linux or apt-get, etc. Just do pull a file from the site with the file list, grep the file you want... then download the link. etc.
Im sure you get where im going with this. a GTK interface could be made at a later point in time if everything works.

jemimah

#19 Post by jemimah »

Ideally, we could just patch the existing ppm. I'm almost ready to work on something like this.

The hosting part should be fairly simple - just ftp access the way smokey01 has his site setup.

The difficult part is finding reliable people to be repo maintainers.

smokey01

#20 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah,

CatDude and I have created a nice little application that's somewhere between Drop Box and Droper.

It's designed to share files on your own server so you're not locked into a Drop Box account.

Basically it's an icon that sits on the desktop with a smart script in the background. You simply drop a file onto the icon and it will be uploaded to your server space. No need to use an FTP client as a command line version is part of the package. The other nice thing we have incorporated is sorting. Depending on the type of file it will be uploaded to a predetermined directory.

Currently we sort the files into five different directories that includes pets, tarballs, graphics, audio and the rest end up in root. Of course this could be expanded to other files as well.

It's very handy when we are working on something and communicating on Psip. Almost like sitting in the same room.

It would also work very well on Saluki with the xfce window manager as the pet package would be able to put the icon on the desktop during installation.

It won't solve your repository situation but it will make it easy for you to upload to it.

Cheers