Drake Puppy feedback

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#21 Post by Béèm »

When I exit to the prompt, I get the prompt and type xwin to start X again.
Have a FRUGAL install also.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

8-bit

#22 Post by 8-bit »

I must have had a copying glitch when I first created my frugal install by clicking on the ISO file and copying the needed files into the directory I made.
I now do not get the problem I previously stated.
But...
Install of packages from the Drake repository still fail to install with a problem of missing and blank files.
Also, abiword was messed up the second time I opened it.
It had a greatly reduced window size as compared to the first time.

James C

#23 Post by James C »

Barry K has posted a fix for the PPM on his blog

http://www.bkhome.org/blog/

The pet....

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/test/rpm-fix-1.pet

I've already installed Iceape 2.0.14 w/ dependencies and a couple of other smaller packages........all working.

James C

#24 Post by James C »

Drake Pup is working pretty well on this old P3..... frugal install.

VIDEO REPORT: Drake Puppy, version 0.1

Chip description:
oem: Intel810(TM) Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 254MB (106MB used)
Operating System : Mageia 1
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 05 Jul 2011 01:54:02 AM UTC
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 254184 245544 8640 0 23096
Swap: 1020092 0 1020092
Total: 1274276 245544 1028732

8-bit

#25 Post by 8-bit »

Is there a kernel2.6.34.8-patched.sfs file available?
I am trying to get my Nvidia GeForce 6150SE Graphics card driver installed.

elraven

Drake Puppy feedback

#26 Post by elraven »

hi all
installed Barry's fix for ppm . successful install of gqview and gimp from mageia packages . Thank you Barry ! :D
elraven

gjuhasz

First Testing results

#27 Post by gjuhasz »

aarf wrote:you call this alpha.!? it is better than fedora15 or even the latest mint on my machine.
+1

In spite of its huge :) size, it runs well on my Toshiba Tecra 8000 (PII, 400 MHz, 256 MB) even faster than any other from the Wary series. Thanks, Barry!

Here are my results below, I found minor problems only:

1. In contrast to all previous puppies from Barry, getting the desktop is problematic. Does not recognize my video card and resolution - resulted 640x480. Unfortunately, selecting xorgwizard from the menu reloads the same - no manual settings allowed. I had to overwrite the commented-out device section in xorg.conf from its wary5.x counterpart, now it's OK (neomagic, 1024x768x24).

2. The well-known ROX-focus problem knocks again. It was fixed in previous puppies.
See http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01570

3: Another problem survives: right-clicking on a drive icon can made it disappear due to the unfortunate position of the "Remove item" menu point. Until it is moved to a sub-menu, I recommend to change ICON_PLACE_EDGE_GAP from 64 to 96 in /etc/eventmanager file.

4. Fonts need anti-aliasing. I plan to apply Iguleder's patch: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45517
Yeah, the desktop theme made me crazy but I am sure I was not alone :)

5. My OPL3-SA3 sound chip is still not autodetected despite the driver is included. So, like in the case of all puppies before, I force load the driver in System > Boot manager > Add module section then voilà - works.

6. Mesa is not included in the iso file. Can be installed from rpm package, however.

7. Seamonkey 1.18 is obsolete both in its features and performance. I installed Chromium-14 from here (thanks playdayz for the sfs):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2ffb7e34c3
Its speed was the biggest surprise to me since I have played with puppy on my Tecra (I installed Drake in VirtualBox/wndwz environment, too). I think Chromium under root and links under spot/fido is the best combination. I simply removed Seamonkey icon from my desktop. Maybe it is still a good choice for (old fashioned) web design and for mailing.
Note that I tested Opera 11.50 and the latest Nightly, too, but their HTML5 performance is a half or worse compared to Chromium-14 (which proudly appears four times in the menu: 2x under Network, 2x under Internet tabs)

8. Barry's fix http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02336.
solved installation of rpm packages.

Barry, thanks again.

Stripe

#28 Post by Stripe »

hi all

barrys seamonkey 2.2 beta seems to work great with drake (try it :lol: )

I personally could live with the bloat for the increase in performance (tested on my amd x4 4gb ram machine, will try it on my p4 next and report back)

nearly forgot cups working great with my epson s21 printer

this thing is fast isnt it?

cheers

Stripe

rcrsn51

#29 Post by rcrsn51 »

Stripe wrote:nearly forgot cups working great with my epson s21 printer
Can you print from Abiword?

Stripe

#30 Post by Stripe »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Stripe wrote:nearly forgot cups working great with my epson s21 printer
Can you print from Abiword?
will not print directly from abiword, but will print from the print preview window using the print command there

also will print a document when saved as a pdf file

just ask if you want more tests/information

hope this helps

stripe

James C

#31 Post by James C »

Just did a manual frugal install of Drake Pup 01 on my main Linux box.All the basics..... internet,sound and display working and correct out of the box.

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1034MB (124MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 06 Jul 2011 02:15:43 AM UTC
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

VIDEO REPORT: Drake Puppy, version 0.1

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1034772 489672 545100 0 38772
Swap: 1228936 0 1228936
Total: 2263708 489672 1774036

James C

#32 Post by James C »

A gratuitous screenshot after a little tweaking......... :lol:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#33 Post by BarryK »

The first Service Pack for Drake Puppy 0.1!

This has the aforementioned rpm install fix, plus more PPM fixes. See blog post:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02337

Bye the way, as James C reported, Iceape (SeaMonkey) 2.0.14 from Mageia core repo, works fine. Running it now.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sylvander

#34 Post by Sylvander »

My copy of Drake was unable to make a pupsave...
i.e. It failed to complete the process to make the pupsave [it didn't display the available storage media]....
Also failed to find and use the blank pupsave I made and placed beside the copy of the SFS file [in a folder in the root of the only partition on my 2nd internal HDD]->[all the other Puppy pupsaves are in suitably named folders in the same root folder, and they work just fine].

nooby

#35 Post by nooby »

forget my post
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sszindian

Drake !!

#36 Post by sszindian »

gjuhasz wrote:

7. Seamonkey 1.18 is obsolete both in its features and performance. I installed Chromium-14 from here (thanks playdayz for the sfs):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2ffb7e34c3
Its speed was the biggest surprise to me since I have played with puppy on my Tecra (I installed Drake in VirtualBox/wndwz environment, too). I think Chromium under root and links under spot/fido is the best combination.
-------------------------------------------------
I downloaded Chromium 14 (.pet version) It installed fine, It made itself the default browser on the desktop icon fine, When I click on it (either desktop icon or from the menu entry in internet) It just does 'NOTHING!'
Is there some secret package that needs installing or something else I need to install? I tried other versions of Chromium and Iron with the same results... 'NOTHING !'
------------------------------------------------
After first run of Drake, upon shutdown I figured I'd try the fido thingy... On reboot, it just doesn't let me back in, it claims an automatic boot in either root or fido but a '#' appears on the load up screen and it stops there. I tried entering fido, root, even the password I created on first shutdown... no go... anyone else have this happen ???
-----------------------------------------------

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

tronkel

#37 Post by tronkel »

Well done Tronkel - you've just borked your system big time.

I installed Mozilla Thunderbird from the PPM after having just resized the pupsave. Then installed the Enigmail extension also from the Mageia repo.

The next time I restarted the system I got a "failed to make file system usable" - just before the switch root - so seems that the pupsave has got corrupted somehow.

There are now no desktop icons and also no wallpaper background - just black. Cannot start Rox Filer and also no terminal available. Tried a pfix= fsck which seemed to do nothing.

The pupsave is ext2 sitting on a ReiserFS home partition.

Video performance has gone back to slow scrolling as it did on the initial install. This problem seemed to have righted itself early-on, but has now regressed to its old state.

Time to switch to thinking/problem solving mode for me.
Interesting.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

tronkel

#38 Post by tronkel »

The above problem seems to have been caused by the Mozilla-Thunderbird/Enigmail Mageia package that I had installed via the PPM. No idea why.

I uninstalled these package and this seemed to do the trick. Everything seems to be back to normal now - including the boot-up sequence and video performance.

Goes to show that installing "foreign" packages can have serious consequences. This was a system-level problem I think.

Never seen this before with any of the Lupu or Slackpup or Dpup versions.

The reason that I installed Thunderbird in the first place is that the mail module in IceApe seems to be broken - it's not possible to create a new account.

I wonder if Mageia itself has a problem with these mail clients or is it really a compatibility problem that only shows up when installed in Drake.

Does anyone have a Mageia system set up and has found Thunderbird/IceApe to be problematical?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

jrb

#39 Post by jrb »

Very impressive for an alpha! :D

Running frugal install.

Have found one problem:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/mksquashfs 
seems to be broken. Produces SFS's but they fail to mount/unmount. SFS's produced in other versions of puppy work fine in Drakepup but the ones produced in Drakepup fail to work in Drake, Lupu or Wary.

Cheers, J

BarryK
Puppy Master

#40 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:The above problem seems to have been caused by the Mozilla-Thunderbird/Enigmail Mageia package that I had installed via the PPM. No idea why.

I uninstalled these package and this seemed to do the trick. Everything seems to be back to normal now - including the boot-up sequence and video performance.

Goes to show that installing "foreign" packages can have serious consequences. This was a system-level problem I think.

Never seen this before with any of the Lupu or Slackpup or Dpup versions.

The reason that I installed Thunderbird in the first place is that the mail module in IceApe seems to be broken - it's not possible to create a new account.

I wonder if Mageia itself has a problem with these mail clients or is it really a compatibility problem that only shows up when installed in Drake.

Does anyone have a Mageia system set up and has found Thunderbird/IceApe to be problematical?
If you type "iceape" in the PPM search box (for mageia-core repo), there are some other iceape packages, maybe you need one of them.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]