Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#41 Post by smokey01 »

If you can spare 45.5k I think Don570 Right-clicks provides some excellent functionality for the small size.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 003#515003

Also Geoffrey's MenuMaker is very good at 24k.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 381#539381

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#42 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:Does 'fixmenus' HAVE to run at every boot/re-start of X?
Not that I know of.
Why do you ask?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

zigbert

#43 Post by zigbert »

playdayz wrote:All, please test pmusic 1.8.3 in luci-260. Put it through its paces if you could. Zigbert thinks it has problems, but it is at least playing mp3's for me--perhaps switching to the i686 libc helped.
I have no problem with playback of local files, but the progressbar freezes, and gives me problem with internal (non user interaction) actions like navigate to next song after finished playing a track.

I am using Puppy 5.11, and have not tried Lucid 26x
(sorry for not testing). If things sort out fine for others - excellent. - But it still sounds scary to bump up a backend for a bugfix release - or is it Puppy 5.3 :wink:

Best wishes
Sigmund

playdayz

#44 Post by playdayz »

Mplayer :
No icon in Menu but it runs with a Console.
Ha-Ha. Our previous mplayer did not have the mpui--mplayer user interface.

Oh wait, this doesn't either. mplayer is a console program with several different user interfaces, mpui, gnome-mplayer, Smplayer, Umplayer.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#45 Post by playdayz »

But it still sounds scary to bump up a backend for a bugfix release -
Oh, you mean ffmpeg. Yes. It has been 3 months. There was kind of a fortuitous confluence of events. Micko built the new ffmpeg at the very same time I built the new gnome-mplayer--great minds run in the same ruts, as they say ;-)

Then to get gnome-mplayer to cooperate with ffmpeg, I changed the libc libraries from the i386 of Lucid previously to the i686 version of the same library. That is the libc is still from Lucid 10.04, but Lucid Lynx contained two versions. I had thought the OS would choose between them, but evidently it was more mechanical.

At any rate, Pmusic is an important part of Puppy and we hope it will be possible to work things out.

ffmpeg and the libc are the only big changes that are planned and we will test them thoroughly.
And playdayz - I really like EZ-Woof. Can you upload one with every Luci, or at least DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS, DISTRO_SPECS and the modified templates? I'd like to do some compilation work on it.

Also, I think it's time to freshen it up with the latest Ubuntu packages, because some security fixes made their way to Lucid. 5.2.6 could be the golden age of 5.x, just like 4.3.1 back then.
Iguleder, Every luci? Do you know how many luci's there have been? ;-) Can you tell me more about what you are needing?

Also, details on packages to freshen up would be very helpful. Thanks.

Oh, we could probably use a Gnumeric 1.1.6 if you are itching to compile.

zigbert

#46 Post by zigbert »

playdayz wrote:At any rate, Pmusic is an important part of Puppy and we hope it will be possible to work things out.
It is no problem to work things out... (if there is any issues). Pmusic 2 is built around ffmpeg-0.8, but this is far from ready. It takes advantage of both the improvements in ffmpeg and gtkdialog. Another approach is to fiddle with Pmusic 1.8.3, but this looks like a stable piece of code (for the environment it is built for), so my intentions is to keep the Pmusic 1 branch compatible with the older Puppies, while Pmusic 2 is the future.

Sigmund

playdayz

#47 Post by playdayz »

You couldn't leave the big world of Lucid.
Well, I could have, but things just came together. This will not be nearly as elaborate a process as Lucid 5.2.5. In fact, it's almost done ;-)

We are seeing a lot of creative experiments and a number of people learning about Woof. I encourage people to raise their profiles and raise their goals and target Puppy The Next Generation. It will be exciting times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who knows, please give me some info on sfs-loader. Is there just one now? Hasn't pemasu been using it? Are there any problems? Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

zigbert, It may be that some problems were because 01micko's ffmpeg is i686. Seemingly that is why gnome-mplayer did not work, but works now with the i686 libc. The progress indicator is working for me. luci-260 is the only Lucid with the i686 libc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have openbox and jwm themes and backgrounds for us to consider?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#48 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:Anyone who knows, please give me some info on sfs-loader. Is there just one now? Hasn't pemasu been using it? Are there any problems? Thanks.
I downloaded and installed shinobar's sfs load on the fly 1.1
It is in all pemasu's puppy's as also in spup 1.20
Last edited by Béèm on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:

pemasu

#49 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. I attach the fixed version of sfs on the load, which I mentioned on the thread before.
Install it and test it yourself. It has the same restriction as puppy init script gives, which is in Lucid Puppies and all Barrys woof builds 6 sfs maximum. But it enables sfs apps immediately.
As I told before, I have compiled kernels with using it to load devx sfs and kernel sources sfs.

I would say, that is near the ultimate usability test.
Attachments
sfs_load-1.1-fixed.pet
(33.29 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

PaulBx1

#50 Post by PaulBx1 »

I think going from 525 to 526 should be for BUG FIXES ONLY, not for enhancements. We shouldn't be doing upgrades for upgrades sake, but only if serious bugs are identified. It is risky to keep adding new stuff to a bug fix release, because it negates all the testing of the previous release. If you want to add new stuff, this should be called 530, not 526. And it then needs a full schedule of testing, not just checking the fixed programs.

I'm not even a software guy, but I know this much. Is that such a radical program? Users need at least an occasional release that is solid; is that asking too much?

Invariably, in all the excitement of adding new stuff, the bugs reported for 525 are pushed on the back burner and forgotten. That is why Puppy bug threads often report the same bug, release after release.

I assume it's too late to change tracks, but maybe if you have loaded up a bunch of new programs you should bump the release number to 530. At least then we won't be deceiving the users that this is a bug fix release.

Béèm

#51 Post by Béèm »

pemasu, what is the difference of shinobar's sfs load on the fly 1.1 and the one you posted?
Time savers:

pemasu

#52 Post by pemasu »

There is small but meaningful code bug in the /etc/init.d/sfs_load script. The bug was announced in Fatdog520-2 thread. I just noticed and checked that forum download version really had that bug and I corrected it. The link was in my post in page 1 in this thread, I think.

Béèm

#53 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:There is small but meaningful code bug in the /etc/init.d/sfs_load script. The bug was announced in Fatdog520-2 thread. I just noticed and checked that forum download version really had that bug and I corrected it. The link was in my post in page 1 in this thread, I think.
Indeed your comment was on the first page of the thread.
I will use yours now.
Time savers:

bigpup

#54 Post by bigpup »

Wallpaper:
Attachments
68landscapes04.jpg
(27.48 KiB) Downloaded 1039 times
68landscapes04.jpg
(168.29 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

stu90

#55 Post by stu90 »

Just installed umplayer.pet http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 552#536552 but it doesnt work - maybe this is a problem with the .pet or mplayer im not sure? - i get this message in umplayer "MPlayer was compiled without fontconfig support" im not sure if i get this same message in 525, i will check tomorrow to make sure.

playdayz

#56 Post by playdayz »

Well said, PaulBx1. Basically, that is what we are doing. Basically, I say. However, Lucid is a pretty well-known quantity now. There has been extensive testing of every version--3 months for 5.2.5. We have the bug fixes from the Instant Update 001 already installed in luci-260. I personally think it is pretty amazing that there were only 8 pages of bug reports in 3 months. We are going to get some of those too. Nevertheless, it has been 3 months since a release and it will be nice to give some flash also. Fix the bugs first, and then add some flash. Not much flash and very closely watched and tested. The new ffmpeg and the i686 libc. IMHO we are getting a lot of bang for the buck of those two changes. For those who worry, the i686 libc is not truly a new version--it is the same version, but optimized for i686 instead of i386. Plus we will add a few programs that forum members have developed and refined since 5.2.5. I hope that makes sense to you. I believe that if we test for 2 weeks, with another one or two release versions, we will be OK.
I think going from 525 to 526 should be for BUG FIXES ONLY, not for enhancements. We shouldn't be doing upgrades for upgrades sake, but only if serious bugs are identified. It is risky to keep adding new stuff to a bug fix release, because it negates all the testing of the previous release. If you want to add new stuff, this should be called 530, not 526. And it then needs a full schedule of testing, not just checking the fixed programs.

I'm not even a software guy, but I know this much. Is that such a radical program? Users need at least an occasional release that is solid; is that asking too much?

Invariably, in all the excitement of adding new stuff, the bugs reported for 525 are pushed on the back burner and forgotten. That is why Puppy bug threads often report the same bug, release after release.

I assume it's too late to change tracks, but maybe if you have loaded up a bunch of new programs you should bump the release number to 530. At least then we won't be deceiving the users that this is a bug fix release.

playdayz

#57 Post by playdayz »

Just installed umplayer.pet http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 552#536552 but it doesnt work - maybe this is a problem with the .pet or mplayer im not sure?
stu90, There is also a problem with Smplayer 0.6.9.4 from PPM--it plays some files correctly but not all--my guess is that they both need to be recompiled with the new ffmpeg. Micko has provided the dev files in his post of ffmpeg. It might be a chance for some new people to try compiling ;-)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 794#539794

As I recall, Umplayer worked in 5.2.5 but there was maybe one codec it didn't play.

Hmm, we'll see..... At the very least we will have a bug fix release with some fresh programs ;-)

bigpup

#58 Post by bigpup »

Icons,
Attachments
Crystal icons.jpg
(60.93 KiB) Downloaded 981 times
crystal-2.pet
(182.94 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

PaulBx1

#59 Post by PaulBx1 »

Currently I cannot boot my Intel DM510MO (reported in the 525 bug thread) off my flash drive. It used to boot with Lupu 511. I suspect it is this problem, or at any rate the symptoms are the same:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 964#540964

If someone tells me how to move the old file I will try the workaround. If it works we should go back to the old ldlinux.sys. The newer one is twice as large, not sure what that buys us.

PaulBx1

#60 Post by PaulBx1 »

Oh, I noticed this in your list of changes:
"updates Firewallstate to leave program icon off on reboot when turned off "

Do you mean the icon in the taskbar? I would rather have it there, particularly when the firewall is off, so I am reminded of that fact.