Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stu90

#21 Post by stu90 »

Hi Playdayz,
This probably needs changing upstream by Barry for the urxvt packages but the .desktop file for Urxvt opens rxvt - it need to be changed to Exec=urxvt

I think mtpaint and pschedule might have been updated as well?

ICPUG

#22 Post by ICPUG »

Playdayz, you certainly are a glutton for punishment!

This is very good news indeed that there is some new puppy development in the open that we can all contribute to.

aarf

#23 Post by aarf »

Update to latest perl ? Had problems installing modules in 525.

playdayz

#24 Post by playdayz »

If you can, please swap out pfbpanel for this one from mrd. Just gives the option of eight launchers instead of four. Just a tiny re-write, does not introduce any bugs etc.
That's done Dave S. We possibly will update Gnumeric so your legendary skills will be needed!
Hi Playdayz,
This probably needs changing upstream by Barry for the urxvt packages but the .desktop file for Urxvt opens rxvt - it need to be changed to Exec=urxvt
pschedule might have been updated as well?
Done stu90. Thanks.

All, please test pmusic 1.8.3 in luci-260. Put it through its paces if you could. Zigbert thinks it has problems, but it is at least playing mp3's for me--perhaps switching to the i686 libc helped.

playdayz

#25 Post by playdayz »

Also please consider RoxTerm
There is something to be said for that--but I will have to count the bytes.
it doesn't load into ram on a box with 256 mb.....
Yes, James C, it snuck up to 129MB. We do want it at 128 so it will load in 256.

DaveS

#26 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote:
If you can, please swap out pfbpanel for this one from mrd. Just gives the option of eight launchers instead of four. Just a tiny re-write, does not introduce any bugs etc.
That's done Dave S. We possibly will update Gnumeric so your legendary skills will be needed!
On it :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#27 Post by DaveS »

No problems so far.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Iguleder

#28 Post by Iguleder »

Hey playdayz, I'm really glad you decided to release another Lupu! :D

The 64-bit kernel is ready and working, you can see it here. My main OS now is a "hybrid" 5.2.5 with a 64-bit kernel and an E17 build I made using Puppizard in two clicks :)

At the moment I'm migrating the kernel build script to Puppizard and I also want build scripts for NVIDIA, Sysprof and ndiswrapper, so we have an automated way to build all the important third-party stuff Puppy has.

A "hybrid" version sounds nice, by the way - we could compile a bleedin' edge 64-bit kernel. Also, it would be very nice to have an E17 SFS in Quickpet.

Oh, and another thing - add Yad. Many Puppy developers adopted it already and I think it could be very nice to have it built-in.

And last thing - remove Flash. It gets outdated over time and that sucks - we could write a simple Flash installer instead, both for size (it reduces the ISO size by a few MBs!), security and multimedia experience.

OH, now that's the last thing I remember I didn't like about 5.2.5 (really! just 4 things!) is the fonts - the DejaVu fonts of Lupu are bad with Hebrew and Arabic. I have build scripts for the DejaVu fonts, Libertine, Liberation, Freefont and the Ubuntu font family - they could be very handy if we want a fonts category in Quickpet :idea:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

nooby

#29 Post by nooby »

Luci-260 boots on Acer D250 too. I use the boot code nosmp just in case it is needed. Those who know more can test without that one.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

Iguleder wrote:remove Flash. It gets outdated over time and that sucks - we could write a simple Flash installer instead, both for size (it reduces the ISO size by a few MBs!), security and multimedia experience.
On board with that. Just had Chromium 14 refuse to run because libflashplayer was out of date in spup.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gcmartin

Stable

#31 Post by gcmartin »

As stable as this is, there is some revolutionary advances being made as you move to completion on this.

This, in my view, is NOT an UPDATE. This is an advancement! Significant in kernel(s), and tool(s) for community use.

I, for one, applaud this effort as it is embracing many 2011 advances made. Maybe the LTS might not be a good acronym to reflect the positive things you are bringing forth for our benefit.

Potentially 2-3 distro, Puppy 5.2.5 based, 32bit/64bit, that takes advantage of all RAM on any modern PC since 2006....WOW! And, most of all, very, very stable. And, I do not see any increase iin system running memory use that I would consider as negative. In fact, the system seems (currently emotional) even more responsive.

Thanks you for this

Question on flash
Didn't someone already get a facility in place that only installs Flash when the browser demanded it? Was that Pemasu? I thought I remember seeing this somewhere before.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Stable

#32 Post by Béèm »

gcmartin wrote:Question on flash
Didn't someone already get a facility in place that only installs Flash when the browser demanded it? Was that Pemasu? I thought I remember seeing this somewhere before.
I think DaveS did mention it to have a facility to switch off/on flashplayer when needed.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Iguleder

#33 Post by Iguleder »

nooby - remove the "nosmp" parameter. Netbooks benefit a lot from Hyperthreading and you disable it, which means your N270 runs only one thread.

This isn't 50% of the performance you get with SMP, but when it's an Atom processor everything counts - I have an N450 and I had to do many tweaks to get things working well :)

And gcmartin - that's my point too - advancement and embraceable of new things we built as a community in 2011, which was a great year so far. The "-lts" suffix is there because its the 2.6.32 branch, which is longterm-supported by Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu and others - I recompile this kernel when a new bug-fix release comes out and the build script is responsible for ensuring backwards compatibility. That's definitely something we should use in 5.3 - the ability to upgrade the kernel to bug-fix releases between 5.0, 5.1, etc'.

And playdayz - I really like EZ-Woof. Can you upload one with every Luci, or at least DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS, DISTRO_SPECS and the modified templates? I'd like to do some compilation work on it.

Also, I think it's time to freshen it up with the latest Ubuntu packages, because some security fixes made their way to Lucid. 5.2.6 could be the golden age of 5.x, just like 4.3.1 back then.

Cheers!
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

DaveS

#34 Post by DaveS »

Béèm wrote:
I think DaveS did mention it to have a facility to switch off/on flashplayer when needed.
For Opera. Otherwise, Flashblock allows discretionary useage
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#35 Post by Béèm »

Hello playdayz,
You couldn't leave the big world of Lucid. :wink:

Installed FRUGAL Lin'N'Win the 260
All went well and 'attached' my application environment.
Applications did run.

However I was 'spoiled' by puppy's having sfs load on the fly, so I installed it in 260. Maybe nice to add it in a later release.

Also in pemasu's I discovered this wonderful utility of google translate.
Working regularly in multilingual, this was really a big help to me.
Maybe also something to consider to add?

Compared to 5.2.5 260 seems snappier, specially with my Wine applications.
Last edited by Béèm on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:

Tasgarth

Pmusic 1.8.3

#36 Post by Tasgarth »

1) Testing pmusic 1.8.3 (PC n°1) :
- files (mp3): OK
- Menu (French language) : OK
- Radio menager; list is downloaded but very very slowly.... Impossible to listen any radio... "alert no File"...I must kill the process
- Podcast Menager list is downloaded but very slowly.... (6 mp3 =6x1020 k) in /root/my-documents/Podcasts : OK
- Icons of playlist : None of the buttons are working. I must kill the process.
----------------------
2)Time > UTC : False but after Psync Time and reboot : it's good.
3) Other programs I tested look very good :
Sylpheed : OK

SFS :Gimp, Seamonkey,Skype, vlc
PETs :
Nvidia and report-video-glx are good
startmount,
Photoxx, UFRaw

PC n°1 :Asus M2V , Nvidia gForce ram ddr2 1G
old PC n°2 : motherboard Elite, sdRAM 515 M
Programs I tested look good

Béèm

#37 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:
Béèm wrote:
For Opera. Otherwise, Flashblock allows discretionary useage
Sorry, my memory left me in the cold.
Time savers:

DaveS

#38 Post by DaveS »

Does 'fixmenus' HAVE to run at every boot/re-start of X?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Tasgarth

#39 Post by Tasgarth »

Mplayer :
No icon in Menu but it runs with a Console.

Stripe

#40 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

playdayz nice to see you back in the saddle

system
amd athlon ll x4 2800mhz
4gb ddr3 ram
nvidia on board graphics

am running 260 from a multisession dvd only one problem so far, volume not working on first boot due to the "master front" channel in alsamixer being set to nothing

If this is common to everybody I will try to find the relevent config file to correct this (please let me know)

iguleder and daves I agree about the flash, but would this change be wise for the problems it could cause for newbies booting for the first time expecting puppy to work straight out of the box? how about an automatic update for flash and other software? (sorry thinking out loud)

Hope this helps
Stripe