Drake Puppy feedback

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tronkel

Drake Puppy feedback

#1 Post by tronkel »

Just trying out DrakePup:

Good impressions so far.

The ATI Radeon 3450 video card was recognised and set up automatically but the scrolling rate was poor. I then exited to a command line prompt and configured an xorg.conf from there. This improved the video scrolling performance substantially but still not as good as say that from Wary 5.1.2 This latest xorg.conf looked a bit dodgy as well with two "Devices" sections included.

For other reasons I then installed the dev_x.sfs. Strangely enough on rebooting the system this seemed to sort out the video performance. There must be something included in the dev_x that sorted out the video.

The next thing I did was to install the Ubuntu font pet I built some time ago. My tired old eyes need this! Together with Iguleder's antialiased fonts fix, this improved the video experience yet again.

Now for WLAN. My first WLAN card that I used would not configure due to missing firmware by the looks of it. It uses the RT2870sta module. Error log looks like this:
Information about this interface:
Interface: wlan0 Driver: rt2800usb Bus: usb MacAddress: 00:0C:F6:75:AB:8B
Description: Ralink RT2800 USB Wireless LAN driver.

STEP1a: ifconfig wlan0 up
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

LAST 10 LINES of /var/log/messages:
Jul 4 18:54:18 puppypc daemon.info dhcpcd[7132]: forked to background, child pid 8147
Jul 4 19:03:21 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1.3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
Jul 4 19:03:22 puppypc user.info kernel: cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
Jul 4 19:03:22 puppypc user.debug kernel: phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel'
Jul 4 19:03:22 puppypc user.debug kernel: Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy0::radio
Jul 4 19:03:22 puppypc user.debug kernel: Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy0::assoc
Jul 4 19:03:22 puppypc user.debug kernel: Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy0::quality
Jul 4 19:03:22 puppypc user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
Jul 4 19:03:30 puppypc user.info kernel: rt2800usb 2-1.3:1.0: firmware: requesting rt2870.bin
Jul 4 19:03:30 puppypc user.err kernel: phy0 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.
My other WLAN stich uses the Ralink rt73usb chipset and this was detected and set up O.K.

I tried installing gnupg and Firefox using the PPM. The Mageia Firefox binary was nowhere to be found on the system after the download and install. Neither was gnupg executable. I had previously updated the repos from within the PPM.

I then uninstalled these and used a current Firefox 7a Nightly. This seems to run extremely well here.

All in all, a great start for DrakePup. The developers can make good use of this as a base I'll bet.

A kernel recompile will probably solve the video teething troubles. I remember having video trouble with an Ubuntu version that uses this 2.6.34 kernel some time ago.

No Distrowatch announcement yet? It ought to be there!
Last edited by tronkel on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

James C found this on Barry's Blog.

Barry K has posted a fix for the PPM on his blog

http://www.bkhome.org/blog/

The pet....

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/test/rpm-fix-1.pet

So that take care of the PPM problem. Very good catch.
My older text follows

Hi Tronkel! :)

What on earth is Drake Puppy? I used the search in the forum. Nothing came up then I used the search in my singature. Nothing came up.

Then I realize one need to look on the big internet outside the forum.

Ah here it is Barry Kauler the Dev of Puppy Linux. He has a blog and there he talk about his latest varitaion.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewCat=Puppy

Drake Puppy here http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02330

Edit I am writing from Drake puppy now. Have not tested anything else than the SM browser.

Barry not only like the color of Heaven when the Sun set he love SeaMonkeys too. :)

So Mageya? What software can one download from them?
Last edited by nooby on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

The gui mplayer in Drake does not go to full screen properly when I press the F or ctrl-F key. It tries, but the video window stays the original size.
Also, a comment. You, Barry, must really like orange! :)

James C

#4 Post by James C »

Just a quick live run on my main Linux box.......seems to work pretty well so I'll install it shortly. Everything detected and working correctly on initial boot...internet,sound and display.

VIDEO REPORT: Drake Puppy, version 0.1

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1034MB (177MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 03 Jul 2011 04:05:53 PM UTC
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.34.8 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 17:41:34 GMT-8 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.12.1 (stable)
Distribution : Unknown distribution
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root

Only installed Opera 11.50 so far,will try the the ppm some after installing.Looks good for the first release.

elraven

drake puppy

#5 Post by elraven »

hi all
I've been trying Drake pup . It's quite solid and responsive . I've found only two issues thus far . First , epdf winks out if you click on a pdf . It does work after a fashion if called from the menu . Second , ( I know this isn't going to be popular) is puppy package manger in regards to mageia core stuff . for example.... I called for it to install Gimp. It gave me a list with gimp and all its dependancies . It installed all the dependacies and gimp ,but gimp is missing it usr/bin/gimp file thingy (sorry to me its a thingy). I'm at a stand still on the gimp/mageia issue. I've install a gimp pet with success however. All in all I like drakiepup .

edit: I've just found out the pdfview is working correctly now. (I have no idea why. But the no bin for gimp/mageia is still making my head hurt. any ideas? A fault on their end perhaps ?
elraven

James C

#6 Post by James C »

I concur about the PPM and Mageia packages......I'm zero for five.The package and dependencies appear to download but cannot be found after the "install".As an example, I attempted to install Icecat and all the dependencies....all I could find afterward was 2 blank text files in /usr/share/applications.

Other than the PPM things appear to be working smoothly.

Also did a manual frugal install on my old P3 test box (with onboard Intel everything) and everything was working out of the box.

Stripe

#7 Post by Stripe »

on using drake pup from a multi session dvd, agree with the others about ppm problems.

everything else seems fine, apart from seamonkey 1.1.8 appearing to run a bit slow (have installed playdayz's seamonkey 2.1 pet which is a great improvement)

no problem with boot up, resolution, video driver, sound and internet connection worked straight out of the box. (onboard nvidia graphics)

pmusic is working well, even streamed internet audio, and seems to be all that is needed in an audio player.

I have just done a 6 hour session and have not broken anything. (well done on another great puppy)

will test cups tomorrow (well later today)

hope this helps
Stripe

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

It's quite solid and responsive
Agreed.
Good job. This is a crispy duck. :)

- Booting faultless. I booted from DVD and surmised that the new Woof would not be confused and try and update other save files - this was correct. I did not need 'puppy pfix=ram' on initial boot
- connented to ethernet (will see if persistent)
- barking (audio working) again will see if persisent after reboot
- orange theme - be afraid! :shock: changed the background (very nice), font size, GTK theme and icon set (I feel better now)
- manual install of firewall protection (in lucid you get an icon in the title bar which you can right click on which is easier) not essential but I always do it. Works.
- good to see transmission included - it works. Yet to jet the puppy bit torrent working
- also find that youtube downloader useful. Did not test. Assume it still works (Google change the methodology)
- ati radeon graphic card not recognized with graphic driver wizard (will be reporting to refund dept.)
- ayttm just closed down after a minute or two of working. Tend to use IRC from browser or download xchat as ayttm is too flakey on IRC
(so bizarre as I hear it works well on other IM systems)
- ppm (Puppy package manager) looks VERY well stocked. Povray is a raytracing program and should be under graphics as far as I know. . .

=========
this is part of hardware info program readout
Computer
Processor 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Memory 2074MB (124MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Mon 04 Jul 2011 06:39:40 UTC
Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter CMI8738 - C-Media CMI8738
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI

SCSI Disks (not SCCI they are SATA - I believe this is a known bu of the reporting)
ATA SAMSUNG HD103SJ
ATA Hitachi HDT72103
LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S

==========

Tried Fido - what harm can it do?
eh :oops: borked my system and it did not get very far into the boot
So did a 'puppy pfix=ram' boot
Fido = bad dog. Back to root. :wink:

What a great Alpha release 8)

We are Duck. We are Penguin.
We are Puppy.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tronkel

#9 Post by tronkel »

Lobster wrote:
- orange theme - be afraid!
Yum yum!. I believe roast duck and orange is a recognised culinary treat. In France I think?

So orange colour scheme should be fine in DrakePup!
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

I believe roast duck and orange is a recognised culinary treat. In France I think?
You iz right Tronkel!
Duck a l'Orange - there are versions with lemon and cherry sauces . . .
http://frenchfood.about.com/od/maindish ... orange.htm
Yum. My favourite meat is venison with duck a close second.

. . . meanwhile I tried Drake on another machine - problems with wlan
could not get any signal (normally during a scan many including neighbours wifi shows up)
Attachments
drake.jpg
(34.41 KiB) Downloaded 2584 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

backi

#11 Post by backi »

Downloaded Firefox - but no Install.
Downloaded LMMS- no Install.
Download Yoshimi - No INstall.
JAMES C above recognized the same Problem.

James C

#12 Post by James C »

Doesn't appear to be any problem installing regular pet packages..... I've installed SeaMonkey 2.1, Opera 11.50, Htop and a few more.

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

I guess backi took it from Mageia main repo?

Mageia is written about now in DW weekly news.

Mageia, a fork of Mandriva Linux maintained by many former Mandriva developers and contributors, has been focusing on setting up a proper infrastructure for continued development, rather than large-scale user interface changes. Following the project's successful first release, the project's next challenge is to manage package updates, security fixes and backports: "The release of Mageia 1 marks a turning point for the distribution, because end users are now encouraged to install and use it on a daily basis -- and up until now, most of those users were still running Mandriva, which continued to receive regular package updates. A user switching to Mageia is likely to encounter several distinct package update scenarios: security updates to close specific vulnerabilities, incremental bug-fix updates, and new packages that for one reason or another were not ready for inclusion with the initial release of Mageia 1. Each scenario has its peculiarities, although for simplicity's sake, it is in the project's interest to provide as uniform a testing and update process as possible."

/quote ends here.

Maybe one can read more at their forum just in case them are up to some big changes that would effect Drake Puppy relating to their main repo?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sylvander

#14 Post by Sylvander »

1. Drake-0.1 boots OK.

2. Can manage [by dropping to a command prompt, and using xorgwizard] to set a sensible screen area and color depth.

3. Got firewall running and connected to web.

4. Browsing the web OK.

PROBLEM
5. Drake won't make pupsave at shut-down/reboot.
Goes through the early steps OK, but doesn't detect/display storage devices.

6. Made an empty .2fs pupsave on a ext3 partition on an internal HDD, but Drake wouldn't find it during boot, even though it searched.

Ray MK

#15 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

All the basics seem fine - the only item that did not work for me
was BK's SNS for wifi.

(have noticed a similar failure in many of the later woof derivatives)

SNS was very good in most of the circa Wary-511 era puppy's.
When it works it;s brilliant - specially for noobs.

However, the normal network wizard in Drake-001 was fine with wifi.

Thanks again Barry for all your efforts to produce what has to be the
World's best OS - Puppy.

Very best regards - Ray

aarf

#16 Post by aarf »

you call this alpha.!? it is better than fedora15 or even the latest mint on my machine. :) running portable opera-next on open network wizard wifi.
system>Avahi Zeroconfig browser? doesnt open.what is it? other avahi's in network menu dont go anywhere either.
wifi connection dropping out. need frisbee.

L18L

Drake Puppy

#17 Post by L18L »

Lobster wrote: Tried Fido - what harm can it do?
eh :oops: borked my system and it did not get very far into the boot
So did a 'puppy pfix=ram' boot
Fido = bad dog. Back to root. :wink:
Fido booted excellently to command line :)
Fido = good dog.
Drake is alpha
If wary can why not drake too :?:

L18L

drake

#18 Post by L18L »

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# ls -l /usr/bin/zenity
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 2011-07-04 17:12 /usr/bin/zenity -> /mnt/sda2/yad/yad-0.12.4-i486/usr/bin/yad
sh-3.00# 
broken link.
Why not include yad and link to it ?
yad http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=43
is working in wary and drake too.

8-bit

#19 Post by 8-bit »

Call me dumb, but I downloaded and installed Drake frugally and the checksums match.
When I exit to a prompt, a login comes up and I have tried leaving the password box blank, and tried woofwoof also.
It keeps telling me the password is incorrect.
Also, if I open a terminal, and type "whoami", it seems I am not root.
And When I pick shutdown or reboot, I get a username/password prompt with no way to save my settings to a pupsave file. as well as creating one.

Is all of that normal?
Or am I just getting dumber as I go along. :roll:

James C

#20 Post by James C »

8-bit wrote:Call me dumb, but I downloaded and installed Drake frugally and the checksums match.
When I exit to a prompt, a login comes up and I have tried leaving the password box blank, and tried woofwoof also.
It keeps telling me the password is incorrect.
Also, if I open a terminal, and type "whoami", it seems I am not root.
And When I pick shutdown or reboot, I get a username/password prompt with no way to save my settings to a pupsave file. as well as creating one.

Is all of that normal?
Or am I just getting dumber as I go along. :roll:
I've done 2 manual frugal installs and haven't had any similar problem. However, I don't recall exiting to a prompt.......... just been doing regular shutdowns and reboots from the menu.And always as administrator..... I don't mess with that silly fido stuff.

EDIT:
Had you already made a save file before this happened? If not,maybe exiting to a prompt is getting the users confused. Just a wild shot in the dark. :lol: