Midnight Sun Pup 002 with 2.6.35.7 and 003 with 2.6.38.4

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
playdayz

#21 Post by playdayz »

About browser problems. I believe that not all Playdayz's compiled browsers works with 2.6.35.7 kernel version. And mine compile was done in PolarPup using best tuning for my intel i5 cpu. So it seem not be compatible with all cpu's.

I will download Firefox official offering and make a pet of it
That makes sense. I compile with -O3 and i686, but there is really no reason for that because the official Firefox is just as fast, so I should either be more careful or more explicit. Oh, also, some of the builds require dbus.

Oh wait, I think the Firefox 5.0 I posted was the generic one from mozilla.

Yes, if it says Firefox then it is the mozilla build. If it says Aurora it is a custom build. Am I right?
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#22 Post by nooby »

Thanks then I test that one too.

All works but sadly it is the first Snow/MidnightSun puppy that fails to accept
1024 x 768 and instead show 1024 x 600.

Taht usually only happen exotic puppies not Lupu usually so something must have changed.

How do I tell it to use 1024 x 768. It says it des everywhere but it fails in practice.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Jim1911

#23 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Fresh frugal installation of your latest, however had identical problem as reported earlier.

Thanks for the beautiful lake scenes.

Cheers,
Jim

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#24 Post by Béèm »

I liked very much the cold naming convention. Don't know why there should be a joke about it.
Well midnight sun refers to the north pole also.

So snow puppy is finished now?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#25 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. I will check your problem and those errors if I find any reference about it. Maybe I am missing some xlib.

Beem. Snow Puppy is not finished. This is something like summer version. The updating will continue as Snow Puppy when it is time. The kernel, innards are the same. I wont destroy this concept because I have compiled and added a lot kernel drivers since first Snow Puppy.

Midnight Sun Pup gives me nice reason to take camera with me when cycling. And It really is Midnight Sun time in Finland now. It is not really dark at the location I am now. And the default wallpaper pic was taken about 23.30 and the lake was quite luminous at pic taking time. It just looked dark because I took the pic straight against sun.

I noticed one mislocated binary in my latest upload. I am reuploading Midnight Sun now. The misplaced binary should be in /usr/bin and I placed it to the /bin, so it does not affect to the functionality, but I try to be precise.

pemasu

#26 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. Did you compile the Nvidia proprietary package yourself or do you use some already made Nvidia pet ?
And have you made xorg.conf file with composite enabled ? Maybe playing with that xcompmgr and gcompmgr. Disabling that composite row have been suggested also in my searches.
Your faced problem seems to find certain older Nvidia cards when I searched the net.
Have you downloaded the latest Nvidia package for your card and compiled it yourself ?
Or it can be that this kernel just dont like your new comp.

playdayz

#27 Post by playdayz »

Hi pemasu, The Firefox 5.0 that I posted was the generic version from mozilla. If it identifies itself as Firefox it is the mozilla version--Aurora is the custom version. I am just curious if you figured out any more about what the problem was. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I would like the midnight sun. I used to have a dream about walking home from a party at 1:00 am and the sun was coming up. My wife thinks it would be hard to sleep ;-)

James C

#28 Post by James C »

Quick update....... Firefox is now working on the trusty Athlon XP box in the new and improved Midnight Sun Pup 001. :)

nooby

#29 Post by nooby »

Pemasu, hope it is okay to ask this.
nooby wrote: Sadly this is the first Snow/MidnightSun puppy that fails to accept
1024 x 768 and instead show 1024 x 600.
What could have changed to get that surprising result. I mean I have tested every Snow puppy you have made and this is the first time it happens.

I dearly want to have 1024 x 768 again. Hope that is possible next upload or some suggestion how to find a work around.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#30 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. I was just guessing and I thought that you have compiled that version also yourself.
About my version. I used mtune native, which means that the compile tried to make version for my i5 intel quad core. The gcc in Lucid Puppy does not support all the features so, there was several problems in my 5.0 version.
It is maybe best that I leave the browser compiling to other people and use official versions after this episode.
Anyway my compiled version worked fine for me, but making generic needs more experience. Mtune needs probably some more conservative specs than native definition.

Chromium 14 pet needed that location fix DaveS mentioned. I repacked it with that fix and it should install now only one menu entry and works as root. I uploaded your pet with that fix to the smokey01 ftp site under Pets. Link is above.

pemasu

#31 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. I dont know. The innards should be the same. Right now I dont have clear answer for you about that resolution change. I think about it.

Jim1911

#32 Post by Jim1911 »

pemasu wrote:Jim1911. Did you compile the Nvidia proprietary package yourself or do you use some already made Nvidia pet ?
And have you made xorg.conf file with composite enabled ? Maybe playing with that xcompmgr and gcompmgr. Disabling that composite row have been suggested also in my searches.
Your faced problem seems to find certain older Nvidia cards when I searched the net.
Have you downloaded the latest Nvidia package for your card and compiled it yourself ?
Or it can be that this kernel just dont like your new comp.
I used Billtoo's technique here using the latest Nividia driver for my card, NVIDIA-Linux-x86.270.41.19, which worked fine with Polar Pup, Ice Puppy, and Snow Puppy. Incidentally, prior to installing the NVIDIA driver, glxgears did run, but gave an error message. I'll try to duplicate the message and post it here.

With pfix=ram, Glxgear ran without an error message. When a save file was created and the following items were loaded by bootmanager:
devx_lupu_001.sfs
kernel_src-2.6.35.7-patched-lupe5.sfs (Is this the correct kernel?)

This error message was then generated (No NVIDIA driver had been loaded):
sh-4.1# glxgears
2590 frames in 5.0 seconds
2690 frames in 5.0 seconds
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 13851 requests (8333 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Executing glxgears again resulted in no error message.
sh-4.1# glxgears
2527 frames in 5.0 seconds
3014 frames in 5.0 seconds
3031 frames in 5.0 seconds
3038 frames in 5.0 seconds
3031 frames in 5.0 seconds
3039 frames in 5.0 seconds

Thanks,
Jim

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

Playdayz. I was just guessing and I thought that you have compiled that version also yourself.
I understand about yours. But does the Firefox 5.0 work? I am waiting to download--it looks like you are currently uploading.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#34 Post by Béèm »

pemasu, thanks for the update on snow/midnight sun.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#35 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Yes, uploading with this 3g connection seems to drop connection quite often. I am quite border with good connection area, it seems.But now Midnight Sun Pup has been reuploaded.

Firefox 5.0 works just fine for me. And for James C also.

Jim1911

#36 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Midnight Pup 001, v3 did not have any glxgears errors prior to installing NVIDIA driver, however, it gives this message after installation of the driver:

sh-4.1# glxgears
Xlib: extension “GLX

pemasu

#37 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. Ok. I suppose I need to upload the Midnight Sun Pup with better connection. I am afraid the uploads are not sane with this connection in the summer house.

James C

#38 Post by James C »

For what it's worth. I just did a fresh frugal install and I do get the little messages about the internet connection..........working on boot.

EDIT:
Just rebooted and the messages popped up again.All working here.

pemasu

#39 Post by pemasu »

James C. Good to hear. Anyway I made sanity check to my partition and I started the package creation to create Midnight Sun Pup again. I am going to upload it now as Midnight Sun Pup 002. And first I test that usual things works.
Isnt it fun to be in the vacation.

playdayz

#40 Post by playdayz »

Yes, I just tested and the Firefox 5.0 pet seems to work fine--but of course you already have FF 5 built in. Also the current Chromium 14 pet also works. Good deal. I was afraid there was something I was missing (ha-ha, something 'else" I was missing).

Beautiful Pup, btw. Thanks.

Oh, and I also fixed the Chromium 14 sfs for anyone who prefers that.