Chromium 14 - Cutting Edge Development Release

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
playdayz

Chromium 14 - Cutting Edge Development Release

#1 Post by playdayz »

To run Chromium in Lucid, please read this message.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 500#555500

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chromium 14 has made it easier to run as root. Thank you Chromium. This is a nightly build from JUN 28, 2011.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid525.pet

By request, here is an sfs version
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid525.sfs

Both versions have been revised as Dave S explains below so there is only one menu entry. Also, the start page has been changed to the one Chromium wants to use, because sometimes it failed to open the Puppy home page.

The pet version uses the browse icon on the desktop and the menu--the sfs version uses only the menu. I don't know what kind of problems it might have, but it starts and runs youtube for me.

It is relatively easy to use the Chromium pet to keep updated with Chromium. Just download the latest nightly and extract--it will make a folder named chrome-linux.

Then just delete /usr/lib/chrome-linux and replace it with the new one you just downloaded and extracted.
http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Linux/
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 00:37, edited 9 times in total.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

I get curious if it is difficult to make an sfs out of a pet?

Pets kind of get into the pupsave file while an sfs can be used by many puppies that have SFStray or other such SFS loaders. Very practical.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#3 Post by playdayz »

I get curious if it is difficult to make an sfs out of a pet?

Pets kind of get into the pupsave file while an sfs can be used by many puppies that have SFStray or other such SFS loaders. Very practical.
Not difficult. Let's see how long it takes.
Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:00 pm

It's done
Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:03 pm ;-)

It will take a few minutes to upload.

While we are waiting, here's the easy way to make any pet into an sfs.

1. Change the extension of the pet to tgz
2. Click the tgz file and extract
3. open a terminal in the directory that contains the extracted folder and enter

Code: Select all

mksquashs nameofthepetfolder nameofthepetfolder.sfs -noI
Pets and sfs are not totally equivalent. For instance, in the Chromium pet the browse icon on the desktop works to start Chromium, but in the sfs it does not--you have to use the menu entry. The reason is that, as I understand it, pets will overwrite files, but sfs's won't.

The -noI parameter is something that seems to work for me to make reliable sfs's. As I understand it, it prevents the inode names or something from being compressed.

All done and uploaded
Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:22 pm

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... cid525.sfs

maxpro4u

#4 Post by maxpro4u »

I installed in on 5.2.5 and it doesn't start. What am I missing?
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

playdayz

#5 Post by playdayz »

The pet or the sfs? If the sfs use the menu entry to try to start.

maxpro4u

#6 Post by maxpro4u »

playdayz wrote:
The pet or the sfs? If the sfs use the menu entry to try to start.
the pet. -full install of 5.2.5
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

playdayz

#7 Post by playdayz »

I don't know. I just installed the pet on a pristine frugal install of 5.2.5 and it worked.

Try this: go to the directory /usr/lib/chrome-linux and click chrome-wrapper. It should say, Chromium cannot be run as root. OK. Then open a terminal in that directory and enter

./chrome-wrapper --user-data-dir=/root/chromium14
Open a terminal by right-clicking while your cursor is in the directory, then choose Window -> Terminal here.

maxpro4u

#8 Post by maxpro4u »

playdayz wrote:I don't know. I just installed the pet on a pristine frugal install of 5.2.5 and it worked.

Try this: go to the directory /usr/lib/chrome-linux and click chrome-wrapper. It should say, Chromium cannot be run as root. OK. Then open a terminal in that directory and enter

./chrome-wrapper --user-data-dir=/root/chromium14
Open a terminal by right-clicking while your cursor is in the directory, then choose Window -> Terminal here.
clicking chrome-wrapper did nothing
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

playdayz

#9 Post by playdayz »

clicking chrome-wrapper did nothing
OK. what about the rest?

Is it possible you have installed and uninstalled pets on this full install? But giving the command in a terminal should show if any libraries are missing.

dawnsboy

#10 Post by dawnsboy »

I downloaded the .pet and manually inserted it into Rexbang 2.3.3 in place of google-chrome 12.

So far so good. None of the issues that I have experienced with versions 11 or 12 have presented as yet.

Thank you playdayz!

maxpro4u

#11 Post by maxpro4u »

yes I have installed/uninstalled several things. Chromium7 installed and works fine. 14 added 2 entries to the internet and 2 to the network menus and none start it.

bash: /chrome-wrapper: No such file or directory
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

playdayz

#12 Post by playdayz »

/chrome-wrapper: No such file or directory
Should be in /usr/lib/chrome-linux/. If it is not then something went wrong with the installation of the pet.

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

Great thanks playdayz for the SFS. I did a test using SFStray SFS loader and it works but as usual act up in a typical C. way. Refuses to find pages and one have to kill them and start all over and write www. and try again and kill them again and then suddenly it do accept to show some sites like streaming video on a local TV station but then refuses to show youtube and one have no idea why and one test Opera 11 SFS and that one instantly just works. So it is kind of a roller coaster ride. :)

Much appreciated you described how to and uploaded it.
Last edited by nooby on Wed 29 Jun 2011, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#14 Post by DaveS »

Running fine in Spup though it needs a lib pack. Some strange behavior with a double menu entry though.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#15 Post by DaveS »

Bum... spoke too soon. Its nagging me over the Flash plugin being out of date :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#16 Post by DaveS »

Does anybody else get the double entry in the system menu? I have a fix if you do and its not just my system.........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

dawnsboy

#17 Post by dawnsboy »

I am seeing that double menu entry as well.

DaveS

#18 Post by DaveS »

dawnsboy wrote:I am seeing that double menu entry as well.
OK, well this is what seems to happen... chrome-wrapper looks for a .desktop file on startup, but it seems to look for it in /root/.local/share/applications. If it cant find it, it creates one called 'chromium-devel.desktop', but Chrome cant run from this file in Puppy as it throws up the 'cannot be run as root' error. Its this 'extra' .desktop file that is finding its way into the menu.
Best solution I think is to open this file as text, delete the contents, copy and paste in the contents of the 'normal' .desktop file found in /usr/share/applications, save and exit. Delete the .desktop file in usr/share/applications, run 'fixmenus' and you should be done. Single menu entry that runs Chromium as expected.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#19 Post by playdayz »

Single menu entry that runs Chromium as expected.
Thanks Dave S. I saw that double entry but I thought it was left over from previous experimentation. I should be able to fix the pet according to your explanation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is relatively easy to use the Chromium pet to keep updated with Chromium. Just download the latest nightly and extract--it will make a folder named chrome-linux.

Then just delete /usr/lib/chrome-linux and replace it with the new one you just downloaded and extracted.
http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Linux/

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Earlier versions did always tell me that the Flash was too old but the newer does not but all of them are tricky to get going. Them say that the page can not be loaded and it is very annoying taking long time to trick it to show any page.

I use them as SFS if that is important. But Opera which I am no fan of that one just works as SFS and have no problem at all and FF works too so it is sad that Chromium is that much more moody.