Reduce sensitivity of laptop touch pad

Booting, installing, newbie
mahaju

Reduce sensitivity of laptop touch pad

#1 Post by mahaju »

Hi
I am using Compaq 620 laptop with Intel Celeron processor
My puppy is lucid Puppy 5.1.1, frugal install and on an SD Card
It looks like my laptop's touch pad is very sensitive inside puppy and so even if I just move my cursor over some icons or windows, it some times randomly clicks it
Any ideas on how to resolve this?
Also, if I go to setup -> Mouse/Keyboard wizard -> Configure your touch pad, I get a message "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics drivers loaded?"

Thanks

mill0001

#2 Post by mill0001 »

Try this: menu-shutdown-exit to prompt or contol-alt-backspace and then type xorgwizard. Go thru setup of xorg again, when you're done type xwin to restart X. Now you should have synaptics driver loaded and look for flsynclient in your menu to adjust it with.

mahaju

#3 Post by mahaju »

Does the touchpad configuration box have what I need in this situation?
Please don't mind if this is a silly question because I really don't know

Thanks

puppyluvr

#4 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Yes, if you got that far, the flsynclient should be loaded,
or else it will ask you to restart X windows..
Amongst the tabs will be a sensitivity setting..
My Compaq CQ-56 has the same "over sensitive" problem...
I had to turn it WAY down....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

One guy told us to go below 1 this way. 0.5 or maybe 0,5 don't remember.

Mine was so sensitive that I use a USB Mouse instead and an external real USB keyboard to not be near the ultra sensitive touch pad.

Edit comment to r1tz . It is a secret Thermin music control :)
Last edited by nooby on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

r1tz

#6 Post by r1tz »

I find it very interesting how i can control my touchpad with my finger 1cm away :)

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

perhaps search for author 'stu90' and someting like 'xorg' , 'xorg.conf' or 'touchpad' . He posted one or two entries in /etc/X11/xorg.conf , which seems to have worked for him .

mahaju

#8 Post by mahaju »

Hi everyone
I followed your instructions and was able to get the flsynclient to run and also was able to reduce the sensitivity of the touchpad, however, when I tap it it's not detecting a click, and sometimes the cursor just erratically jumps to random locations on the screen. Also, the verticle scrolling at the right edge of the touchpad is working, but sometimes for very brief moments, the verticle scrolling feature becomes transparent, as if it was not present, and very rarely, at odd moments it automatically detects a click. In fact, this happened then I was trying to write "Hi" at the beginning of this post, but has not happened upto this point. I want it to move as smoothly as it does with the Windows 7 that was shipped with this laptop. Any ideas on how I can do this? I also don't understand what few of the sliders in the flsynclient window do. Where can I get detailed information about this? Also, the tooltip above the save button says "saving to ~./flsynclient" but I don't seem to be able to open it using geany, and typing flsynclient at the console just opens up the touchpad configuration window.

What should I do now?

Thanks in advance.
:D

DaveS

#9 Post by DaveS »

mahaju wrote:Hi everyone
I followed your instructions and was able to get the flsynclient to run and also was able to reduce the sensitivity of the touchpad, however, when I tap it it's not detecting a click, and sometimes the cursor just erratically jumps to random locations on the screen. Also, the verticle scrolling at the right edge of the touchpad is working, but sometimes for very brief moments, the verticle scrolling feature becomes transparent, as if it was not present, and very rarely, at odd moments it automatically detects a click. In fact, this happened then I was trying to write "Hi" at the beginning of this post, but has not happened upto this point. I want it to move as smoothly as it does with the Windows 7 that was shipped with this laptop. Any ideas on how I can do this? I also don't understand what few of the sliders in the flsynclient window do. Where can I get detailed information about this? Also, the tooltip above the save button says "saving to ~./flsynclient" but I don't seem to be able to open it using geany, and typing flsynclient at the console just opens up the touchpad configuration window.

What should I do now?

Thanks in advance.
:D
Go into /root/ in your filemanager. set it to show hidden files. Load the file .flsynclient into a text editor (right click, select 'open as text') Look for the entry 'clickfinger3=' and set the value to '1', so : clickfinger3= 1
Your problems will be solved. (I hope) :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#10 Post by pemasu »

Also disabling touchpad when writing might help. I have made a pet of my configuration. Restarting X is needed.

The pet should disable touchpad when writing and touchpad start to work almost immediately when you stop writing. It has helped my problem.
Attachments
disabletouchpad-001.pet
(633 Bytes) Downloaded 299 times
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#11 Post by pemasu »

double post.

mahaju

#12 Post by mahaju »

pemasu wrote:Also disabling touchpad when writing might help. I have made a pet of my configuration. Restarting X is needed.

The pet should disable touchpad when writing and touchpad start to work almost immediately when you stop writing. It has helped my problem.
Hi
Could you please give me somfe information as to how your system works? Is it like a keylogger that continuously checks if keyboard key has been pressed? And is this going to solve my erractically jumping cursor problem?

pemasu

#13 Post by pemasu »

That pet disables touchpad when writing. It uses syndaemon to do that. My pet has rules how syndaemon behaves. Nothing else. Usually best way to see if the pet has positive effects, is to install the pet and test it yourself. If it does not, uninstall the pet.

Instructions for syndaemon:

Code: Select all

syndaemon -K -d -i 0.3

mahaju

#14 Post by mahaju »

ok Thanks a lot
I will try it this evening