dice roller

Play with your Puppy.
01micko

dice roller

#1 Post by 01micko »

Hi all,

This is a really simple dice roller app in case you lost your Monopoly dice or your pop-O-matic wore out.

It's probably the closest I'll ever come to programming anything to do with any game! :lol:

Technical jargon

What this actually is is a demonstration of the new abilities given gtkdialog thanks to thunor and of course zigbert.. (for keeping the faith :wink: ). It can be checked out through svn here

For the rest of us

The gtkdialog3.gz file attached below is needed for roll_the_dice to work

I have already compiled an exec for the current revision of gtkdialog (r17 at time of posting, edited 20110626) but I will not offer it as a .pet. Instead I'll supply a gzipped exec and a script to install and backup your original incase things go wrong. (which they shouldn't)

The script will download to the same place as the gzipped gtkdialog file and you can just click it to install the new gtkdialog and then install and use the roll_the_dice pet. The pet has a menu entry in 'Fun'. It also has the option of one die or two dice.

If it fails and your gtkdialog seems broken you can run the gtkdialog_install script with the '-r' option to restore your original gtkdialog.

Code: Select all

./gtkdialog_install -r
in the directory where you saved the download.

Have fun!

EDIT -if you had trouble with the gtkdialog3 exec I have compiled a new one as of 2011/06/24 in puppy-431 for compatibility, tested in 431, wary-512 and spup, should be ok in lupu
EDIT 20110626 up to r17 for gtkdialog
Attachments
gtkdialog3.gz
compiled in 431 r17
(50.08 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
the_app.png
(22.39 KiB) Downloaded 1130 times
roll_the_dice-0.1.pet
(19.9 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
gtkdialog_install.tar.gz
(337 Bytes) Downloaded 490 times
setup.png
(12.91 KiB) Downloaded 1122 times
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 00:23, edited 4 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

vovchik

nice work

#2 Post by vovchik »

Dear 01micko,

Very nice proof of concept - with dynamically loading pixmaps. There will be applications making good use of this feature.

With kind regards,
vovchik

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

Thanks vovchik

While I was on a roll ( :roll: ) I made an actual game! Again using the new functionality given gtkdialog.

It's called Pmatchemup and is a very simple memory game.

It uses existing puppy images. The only requirement other than the new gtkdialog is that you have at least 8 images in /usr/share/backgrounds

More fun in only 2.5K (35K installed)!

Anyone feel free to hack/improve or whatever and post results here.

edit; bug in 431, new version 1.1
Attachments
pmatchemup.jpg
(51.64 KiB) Downloaded 1033 times
pmatchemup-1.1.pet
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access