Applications that make Legacy OS 2 Great!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gnomic

trouble every day

#21 Post by gnomic »

Hmmm. Did you try booting from each of the drives, ie the Samsung as well as the Pioneer?

Could be time to start removing system components from the equation. What about booting with power removed from the disk drives? No need to remove the drives, just pull the power leads from the drives temporarily (with the machine powered down of course).

What else is on the system in terms of an OS or OS's? Any unusual boot loader arrangements?

No chance of trying your discs on some other machine? Is your copy of Legacy OS 2 dodgy, or does L OS2 not like your particular hardware?

Sylvander

#22 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Did you try booting from each of the drives, ie the Samsung as well as the Pioneer?"
No, I'll try the other optical drive [Samsung] immediately I've finished here.

2. "Could be time to start removing system components from the equation. What about booting with power removed from the disk drives?"
Seems like the hardware is being made a suspect, when the obvious suspect [Legacy OS 2] is being let off the hook.
I have NEVER had a single reason to suspect this hardware...
Not since I was given it and discovered it needed a more powerful PSU [it wouldn't complete POST reliably], which I fitted, and that fixed the problem.
Again, I'd need to be given a better reason than guesses to make me mess with hardware that works perfectly well with [almost] all other OS's.

3. "What else is on the system in terms of an OS or OS's?"
(a) Windows 2000 Pro on the 1st partition [of 3] on the 1st internal HDD [sda1].
(b) Various pupsaves+SFS, each filepair in suitably named folders in the root folder of the ONLY partition on the 2nd internal HDD [sdb2].
I'm puzzled why it has been designated sdb2. :?

4. "Any unusual boot loader arrangements?"
None made; none needed.
Win2000Pro is the only OS installed to an internal HDD [the 1st partition, and its boot flag is set].

5. "No chance of trying your discs on some other machine?"
Hmm, I'd rather not ask my neighbor to boot this disk on his PC.
May just do it though.

6. "Is your copy of Legacy OS 2 dodgy"
Don't see why it would be so.
The md5sum checked OK.
Use the same everything as with other Puppy ISO's etc, and almost all of them work just fine.
Usually the problem Puppies have a kernel that doesn't work with my hardware.
e.g. I had to use the Wary-511-k2.6.31.14-uniproc-ide.iso version.

7. "or does L OS2 not like your particular hardware?"
That's my guess. :(

Sylvander

#23 Post by Sylvander »

SUCCESS! :D Of sorts.

1. Tried going into the BIOS Setup with the idea of changing the boot optical drive...
But realized it would be necessary to make the drive the Master.
But no, I remembered I had a "Smart Boot Manager" [SBM] bootable floppy that would allow me to choose which of the available drives to boot.

2. Booted the SBM floppy and chose to boot the 2nd optical drive [Samsung connected and jumpered as Secondary->Slave].
Legacy OS 2 booted! 8)
And it looks SUPERB! :D
No wonder people like it, and it's going up the popularity charts.

3. Unable to get it to boot any other way. :(
Won't boot unless I use SBM...
The CD-RW won't boot [whether in the DVD-RW drive, or CD-RW drive] even if I use SBM.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Seems there's no way to make the Linux filesystem inside the pup_save anything other than ext2.
I'd like to make it ext3.

5. How do I start the firewall and connect to the web?
Seems to work differently to the usual Puppy.

6. MUST go explore Legacy OS 2. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back from some exploration:
7. I notice the pup_save MUST be held in the root folder of the partition.
All my other Puppies are inside their own folder in the root.
Pity, but I can live with it, since it's the only Puppy with files in there.

8. Discovered how to start the Firewall and connect to the web via ETH0 [Network Interface Card connecting to router and broadband modem].

9. Tried using Opera.
Somewhat different to my usual Firefox, therefore strange to me.
Not sure how things should be done in Opera.
e.g. How do I stop the [high CPU usage] advert in the Puppy home page.

10. I normally use Xfe as my file explorer.
Do the available alternatives native to Legacy-OS-2 have twin filepanes that can be used to copy-to/move-to from one location to another?

11. Will it be possible to use this method so that a pupsave on an internal HDD will be treated as though a pupsave on a Flash Drive?
So I can choose if/when to save during-the session, and whether "to save or not to save" at shut-down/reboot?

john biles

#24 Post by john biles »

Hello Sylvander,
Sorry Legacy OS 2 has been such a pain to get going. Thank you for not giving up and getting Legacy booted up to the desktop.
10. I normally use Xfe as my file explorer.
Do the available alternatives native to Legacy-OS-2 have twin filepanes that can be used to copy-to/move-to from one location to another?
You'll find Krusader under "File Managers" in the menu which is a twin filepane file manager.
Attachments
krusader.jpg
(121.79 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

gnomic

going good

#25 Post by gnomic »

Progress. Handy that SBM at times. I was counting on LOS2 finding a way to boot even from the secondary optical drive as slave, but sounds like SBM eased the way. Legacy is a nice bit of work, even if it has the odd quirky aspect. At least that CD-R was some use after all 8)

I think JB says that ext2 is the preferred, therefore safest, option as a filesystem. This may have to do with the era Legacy derives from.

I rather like xfe myself. Haven't got LOS2 by me at present - I thought there may have been an app called Krusader present which is of that ilk, but can't swear to that. Think it was in the original Legacy at any rate. See http://www.krusader.org/

Opera has always been a little bit too clever for me, but I'm sure with a little practise the Opera way must be attainable.

Perhaps John or some expert Legacy enthusiast can address your other questions.

Sylvander

#26 Post by Sylvander »

1. Will go study/use Krusader. :)

2. "At least that CD-R was some use after all"
Yes indeed, I was surprised and pleased by that.
What is it you know that put you on the trail of this possible solution?
Seems totally weird to me that a CD-R will work where a CD-RW won't.
And indeed that SBM would make any difference. :?
We live and learn eh?

Sylvander

#27 Post by Sylvander »

1. The Legacy-OS-2 Package Manager won't run.
Get the warning window...
OK that...
Get nothing more.

2. Menu->System->Puppy-Event-Manager doesn't exist. :(
Is savepuppyd the older version of this?
What does it do?
How do I run it?

3. Installed Firefox 2 from the Puppy-1/Puppy-2 repo, but it doesn't add a menu item. :(
How best to install, and which version?
How to uninstall the version just installed?

4. There are no partition or filesystem icons on the desktop.
How do I add them to the desktop, or else how best to mount/dis-mount?

5. How best to run a console window?

6. This version of Xfe installed OK, and runs just fine. :D

john biles

#28 Post by john biles »

Hello Sylvander,
History Lesson on Legacy OS 2's origin.
Because many of the options users of Puppy 4 and 5 series take for granted weren't around when Puppy 2.14 (Legacy OS 2 base) was released, this is the way to do them.
1. The Legacy-OS-2 Package Manager won't run.
Get the warning window...
OK that...
Get nothing more.
The original repository for Puppy 2.14 either contains older or versions of software that can damage many of the updated system files Legacy OS 2 contains.. Extra Applications for Legacy are available here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68499

2. Menu->System->Puppy-Event-Manager doesn't exist.
Is savepuppyd the older version of this?
What does it do?
How do I run it?
Legacy OS 2 doesn't have a Event-Manager sorry!
3. Installed Firefox 2 from the Puppy-1/Puppy-2 repo, but it doesn't add a menu item.
How best to install, and which version?
How to uninstall the version just installed?
Currently only Opera series 10 runs in Legacy OS 2. Due to the need to have a Web Browser capable of running flash 10 ,Java 1.6 and other web related codecs etc a number of main system libraries were updated. This caused all Seamonkey and Firefox versions to either segment fault or complain of further missing libraries. Opera with its inbuilt Email client is a very usable Web browser with many hidden goodies was the only browser that still worked. I had to decide if losing a number of applications like XaraLX, Scribus etc was worth having Firefox installed and decided it wasn't sorry!
There were Firefox directories in Legacy OS 2 before you installed Firefox that will effect Opera if you delete them. I recommend you either forget Firefox is there or do a fresh reinstall.
4. There are no partition or filesystem icons on the desktop.
How do I add them to the desktop, or else how best to mount/dis-mount?

On the right SideBar you'll see the icon "Drives" clicking it once will bring up a selector which allows you to select the 3 different Drive mounters and the session automount daemon included. Click the automount daemon and then plug in a usb stick and see what happens. The same "Drives" icon is in the bottom main taskbar under the blue up arrow.
Legacy OS 2 doesn't use the later drive mounting system.
5. How best to run a console window?
Also in the bottom main taskbar under the blue up arrow is Mxrvt (Terminal) in the menu. You also have access to the cool drop down Terminal "Kuake" click on it and it will appear at the top of the desktop slightly hidden, click on it with your mouse to expand. Find in menu under Accessories > Command Line >

Sylvander

#29 Post by Sylvander »

@john biles

Thank you for the answers. :)

I've deleted the pup_save file, and will begin afresh with a new file.

Is there a document or instructions I can read to learn of the individuality of Legacy-OS-2?

john biles

#30 Post by john biles »

Hello Sylvander,
Here is the link to the guide of Applications in Legacy OS. Most of the info is relevant and shows a user what to expect. Legacy OS 2 takes this further with addition applications.
With life and other projects it may be a little while before another improved guide is released.

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/LegacyOS/

user = puppy
password = linux

Sylvander

#31 Post by Sylvander »

1. Typing this from "Legacy-OS-2->Opera".

2. Clicked on your link and read a couple of the pdf files, and successfully installed wine-1.3.7-i486.pet

3. Tried installing smm1.0.pup, but that failed.
smm is very important to me; I fetch all the headers and text of the emails on my pop3 server.
OUCH! :(

4. By-the-way...
The CD-R disk now bootS fine in either the DVD-RW or the CD-RW, and WITHOUT the SBM bootable floppy used.
Is that because the pupswap.swp file is in use?

gnomic

secret knowledge

#32 Post by gnomic »

"What is it you know that put you on the trail of this possible solution?
Seems totally weird to me that a CD-R will work where a CD-RW won't."

Ah well, if I told you that, termination with extreme prejudice might apply :wink: But seriously, I fear it's probably the result of spending too much time in Linux message groups. From time to time I have seen comments where problems of this nature were resolved by using a plain old recordable. Issues involving optical drives can be a bit of a zone of mystery; I have a drive for example which rejects most recordable discs but will write to some branded as HP. The K3b programme can be interesting in this regard as it often reveals which Chinese company actually made the discs irrespective of the brand shown on the packaging. Or does it? See the link below if you really want to become confused . . . .

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-33

Anyway, good that you got LOS2 going, sounds like you're having fun.

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello Sylvander,
Where is the link to this smm pup and what does it do.

James C

#34 Post by James C »

john biles wrote:Hello Sylvander,
Where is the link to this smm pup and what does it do.
I'm guessing it's here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 1.0rc1.pet

Sylvander

#35 Post by Sylvander »

1. Here's the thread with the link to the pup file I used to install.

And here's the smm1.0.pup file I used.

As recorded in the post in my Puppy thread.

"SaveMyModem is an anti-spam, mail-shaper, delete-on-server software
thought for users who have a dialup connection and are sick and tired
of downloading 1MB a day of spam and Win32-worm-attached messages.
Since now it supports only pop3 accounts, and smtp accounts for complaining.
"

2. The CD-RW now boots ok in both drives [without using the SBM floppy].
Strange or what? :?

James C

#36 Post by James C »

Guess that will teach me not to guess........ :lol:

James C

#37 Post by James C »

Just finished a full install of Legacy OS 2 (replaced the old Legacy) on my semi-old Ubuntu/Mandriva box.Everything was working on the live cd and still working after installation.Old AMD Duron with 384 Mb of ram.
Guess I'd say my preferred app is K3B, but there's a lot of stuff to explore.

Nice job on the installer too.

john biles

#38 Post by john biles »

Hello Sylvander,
Here's smm.tar.gz for you. Install it using the Legacy extra apps guide.

You'll find it under Internet > Email > Save my Modem in the menu once installed.

Please let me know if it works. It is from 2004 so don't know how it will go with todays protocols.

PLEASE USE SMM TAR.GZ VERSION FURTHER DOWN IN THIS POST NOT THIS ONE IT HAS MISSING DEPENDENCIES!
Attachments
smm.tar.gz
(182.49 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Last edited by john biles on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 21:04, edited 2 times in total.

john biles

#39 Post by john biles »

Here's an old HP Scanjet 5p Scanner scanning with Kooka.
Attachments
Kooka Scanning.jpg
(72.99 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

Sylvander

#40 Post by Sylvander »

Hello john biles...

1. I downloaded smm.tar.gz to my usual download folder [/00][configured in Opera as the default destination of all downloads], then moved it to /02, then extracted to /03.
Xfe is really good at easily doing this sort of thing. :D
These are some handy folders I made that automatically sit at the top of the file system.
See screenshot below of the folder system produced by the extraction/unpacking.

2. I downloaded the file "Installing Legacy OS 2 Approved Applications.pdf", and read it...
But it says to extract such files to / whereas I'm inclined to think that the files in the extracted folders aught to be copied or moved to the same folder name and location as that in the extract.
i.e. The smm executable aught to be copied to /usr/bin and the other files treated in a similar way.
i.e The content [smm.desktop] of the extracted folder /03/usr/share/applications aught to be copied/moved to /usr/share/applications
[If they'd been copied, I'd eventually delete the originals]
Is my thinking correct?

Screenshot:
Attachments
00.jpg
(3.92 KiB) Downloaded 887 times